Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Wondrous or Worrisome?

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I don't understand the consternation about the item shop.  It just depends what they put in it.  If they just put fluff in it, who cares?  Just have to wait and see what they do with it.

This game could be a real sleeper, but you never know with funcom, they seem to make a living stubbing their toes.

• XNephalimXXNephalimX Member Posts: 87

TSW has peaked my interest. I have been following it off and on over time and have liked some of the things I've heard about it. Skill decks for instance looks interesting, sorta sandboxy there. Modern day setting is a plus. Minimal UI, Puzzles, the shadow elite, 3 world factions and all that.. good stuff. Then BAMM, you run into this damned Cash Shop. :/

The one thing I dont like so far is buying clothes from a online store.Thats sorta dissapointing. I figured by now people would rather craft their clothes? Customize them, personalize them? Guess not. We'll see. If I can get into the game post launch and have a look for myself. I'll know for sure but that one point is really pushing away from buying this. If nothing else I'll just wait for world of darkness and see what they do a few years down the line.

• hyperionxlhyperionxl Member Posts: 4

"The Secret World is one of those games that players are overjoyed about or cautiously optimistic about or simply downright pessimistic all the way 'round."

Lol wot!? Isn't that every game to ever be made?

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

"...but The Secret World isn’t the type of game that is designed to appeal to everyone. It’s not a niche game by any stretch."

This is contradictory.  If the game doesn't have mass appeal then that makes it a niche game by default. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

I think a little honesty is in order.

First of all vanity is important, nobody wants to look bad, and for many people it is as important or for some more important than stats.

If the store items or of the same quality as generally available in game items, they won't sell period.  So even if everything in the store is available in game, your chances of actually getting it in game will be like winning the lottery.  If items of comparable quality are easily available in game most people will likely just use the in game stuff.  So if Funcom wants the CS to see any profits the items available will be much higher in quality than readily available dungeon/quest drops.  

This type of system ENCOURAGES developers to create lower quality items.  In WoW since the creation of the item store ALL of the high quality pets added after the CS were CS only.  Recently mounts also seem to be following this trend.

Convenience items in an item store means that they have to make the game inconvenient by default if they want items to sell.

Instead of concentrating on fun, and quality when you add a CS you get a crippled game to ensure items sell.  For games without a subscription they have to make money somehow, but if I am going to pay for a subscription I don't want to have to pay for quality and convenience.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

The cash shop, at least from all that I've both seen and read, is convenience only. For instance, players will be able to buy outfit items. Since there IS no armor class in TSW, the purchase is purely for cosmetic looks only. Why would anyone feel compelled to use a cash shop?

Really, this sort of revenue model is a good one. People kvetch about box prices with subs. People kvetch about F2P with item malls. This is a nice mix of both: A quality subscription game (which many say makes a better, higher quality game) with a convenience store if so desired.

Funcom isn't going to be twisting anyone's arm to buy stuff to "win".

and this is were you lack a sertain point of view,  in a game were dress to impress is almost as importand as the actual gameplay cosmetic items are a mayor no-go  for a subcription based game. 

besites that there are folks who simply are adicted to playing dressup in mmo's  , to those and easy to twist kids its like giving some asprine for their subcription prize but showing a big drug store one click away.

cosmetic items are not  impacting the game, they are impacting youre experience, anyting cashshop is designed to be cooler then regulair items, the fact that it got a RL prize on it makes it the the fashion trend of the game. are you the cool kid or the poor kid who's parrents cant pay those cool cloths for.  its the same old bussiness that has made kids around the world unhappy for years (by being bullied coz the parrents  cant affort someting that is socialy required to "fit in") 

some folks can /shrug and ignore the cosmetics, 90% simply cant, basic human behavior will make Funcom laugh while they cash in.

its ridicules that anyone anno 2012 would support anyform of a tripple payment bussiness scam. box/download prize, sub,prize and cashshop prize. 

But eh.. /shrug .. Im just gona ignore the entire game, already had a heart-infarct at 33 two weeks ago, im sooo done winding myself up over games ;)

• ToteLeeLostToteLeeLost Member Posts: 41

The cash shop, at least from all that I've both seen and read, is convenience only. For instance, players will be able to buy outfit items. Since there IS no armor class in TSW, the purchase is purely for cosmetic looks only. Why would anyone feel compelled to use a cash shop?

Really, this sort of revenue model is a good one. People kvetch about box prices with subs. People kvetch about F2P with item malls. This is a nice mix of both: A quality subscription game (which many say makes a better, higher quality game) with a convenience store if so desired.

• el_furiosoel_furioso Member Posts: 23

• el_furiosoel_furioso Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Eladi

and this is were you lack a sertain point of view,  in a game were dress to impress is almost as importand as the actual gameplay cosmetic items are a mayor no-go  for a subcription based game. 

besites that there are folks who simply are adicted to playing dressup in mmo's  , to those and easy to twist kids its like giving some asprine for their subcription prize but showing a big drug store one click away.

cosmetic items are not  impacting the game, they are impacting youre experience, anyting cashshop is designed to be cooler then regulair items, the fact that it got a RL prize on it makes it the the fashion trend of the game. are you the cool kid or the poor kid who's parrents cant pay those cool cloths for.  its the same old bussiness that has made kids around the world unhappy for years (by being bullied coz the parrents  cant affort someting that is socialy required to "fit in") 

some folks can /shrug and ignore the cosmetics, 90% simply cant, basic human behavior will make Funcom laugh while they cash in.

its ridicules that anyone anno 2012 would support anyform of a tripple payment bussiness scam. box/download prize, sub,prize and cashshop prize. 

But eh.. /shrug .. Im just gona ignore the entire game, already had a heart-infarct at 33 two weeks ago, im sooo done winding myself up over games ;)

She doesn't "lack a sertain [sic] point of view", just because she doesn't agree with yours. Patronizing.

City of Heroes is a perfect example of what you call a "Dress to Impress" game... and we've been paying cold hard cash for extra costume pieces for seven years now, and it's worked just fine. It's not a "no-go" at all.

So skip the game -- totally your choice. Not all of us are wringing our hands over a micro-transaction shop, and I'm looking forward to giving TSW a chance. :)

"City of Heroes is a perfect example of what you call a "Dress to Impress" game... and we've been paying cold hard cash for extra costume pieces for seven years now, and it's worked just fine. It's not a "no-go" at all."

Of course they had to go free to play to hopefully draw in enough people to stay in business.  So probably not the best example.

Frankly her comment is disingenuous at best, and probably somewhat nieve.  Some of us are very hopefull about TSW and hate to see a potentially awesome game get crippled with a CS.  If they want the CS items to sell then yes they have to build certain inconveniences into the game and tone down the quality of readily available items.  I would rather have them build the game fun by default with no regard at all about what will or wont sell in a CS.  Once again if this were a free to play game a CS would be fine as the need for income in understandable.

• missbouncymissbouncy Member Posts: 2

Im sad to hear about the holy trinity in this. When will they realise we should all just have our own heals/protection/dps so we dont have to spend hours trying to get that trinity together!!

ALL IN ALL DPS ALL HEAL ALL TANK! if youre tanking and and health gets low have a skill to 'withdraw', aggro goes to next guy, easy! If you die, run back or res! This sort of system would be so FUN. It would get rid of all the bitching - where are my heals, get this agro off me, your dps is shit blah blah - because we're ALL responsible for ourselves. Groups could be much more dynamic with a world boss taking hours and people coming and going because it didnt matter what you are - just by being there youre in!

Im loving the look of this game. GW2 will be a fun walk through, beautiful at least, but I dont expect it to hold me much longer than that. TSW seems so different though - history, mythology, modern and make believe - theres a LOT of goodness in there to explore ^.^

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You do realise you can have hundreds of builds on tsw, grouping should be as easy as gw2

Also you don't need a single dedicated healer, you just need enough heals in the party to make "1 healer" due to how the states system works. E.g. one player has mix of dps and shields another player has dps and a healing passive that heals that heal shielded targets for more.
  • UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by illyana

where the heck are gameplay footages?!?!

all i see are screenshots and very old unfinished gameplay from past conventions

with release in June, we should see more gameplay instead of this bs from press that says "trust us, its going to be awesome"

This. 

The game seems interesting BUT;

We need to see a bit more footage which is at least 6 months old. I was desperately looking for some stuff on Youtube and then realized there was simply nothing in the last months.

And I'm still waiting for the beta. Sorry I won't buy anything only because of some footage or a nicely done trailer. I need to try it firsthand. 

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

For all those hating the cash shop, all games have them now, even WOW, but this game wont be pay to win, the cash shop is all cosmetic, so why you so worried, every other game that has a sub has a cosmetic cash shop, so i guess you wont be playing anymore games from now till the end of time that are MMO's.

So you might as well stop coming to this website.

Just be thankful the game is not F2P then they charge you to progress or have access to certain areas or content.

So if you dont wish to have the cool looking unicorn mount then dont buy it since its the same as the average looking bear mount (eg)

I swear some people will come up with any excuse to not play a game, Cash shop, too asian, too cartooony,too big of weapons, skimpy clothes on femles, dont like th UI, cant jump and swim, cant attack while jumping, poor timing for the maintenance, blah blah blah.

Amyways I am lookin forward to this game, finally quests with a challenge, finally something new, not some boring clone , trying to think outside of the box for once.  Good for you funcom, wish you the best of luck.

@Entropy14

I think at the end of the day if it is fun people will play it, even if it has a CS.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my worry is simply that the CS will impact the quality of the game.  If it doesn't then great.  But the effect a CS has on the default convenience of a game is pretty obvious.  If the game is convenient by default and items of comparable quality or in game then awesome, but it is hard to imagine the CS making any money in that scenario and if so they lose more in public opinion then they make up in profits so why bother.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Well I'm pretty amped about this one. I'll get in on launch just like all the other mmos Ive bought in the past decade. Best part about the June release is that I can grab a 560ti on the cheap by then hehe

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by illyana

where the heck are gameplay footages?!?!

all i see are screenshots and very old unfinished gameplay from past conventions

with release in June, we should see more gameplay instead of this bs from press that says "trust us, its going to be awesome"

GW2 has 1000x more gameplay vids than this one, and it doesnt have any release dates yet

are we looking at another *paid beta* come June, just like AOC was? :D 

Lets hope not. Nor the horror, that was Anarchy Onlines launch. That has to have been one of the WORST MMO launches I've ever seen.  I'm going to give TSW's launch a pass. I'll check it again in six months to a year. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I love the premise, setting and no level-based skill ideas, but I just have a feeling it's going to be linear and "railzee."

Joined - July 2004

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

You cannot trust what FunCom says will and will not be in thier shop.

Anarchy Online was the "beta" for this "double dip" model. At the end of 2010 (A little over a year ago) they Introduced a cash shop on top of their subscription based model. The game director made this announcement in the forums:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=583369

To sum up the post, it boils down to the game's director stating this: 

"...let me assure you that the general guidelines we set out years ago of not selling "power" for money is still very much in force. The items/services available from the store will focus on social and convenience uses only."

So, Exactly what is in Anarchy's cash shop?

.......Power.

You can buy all PVP Armor and weapons. You can buy tokens to upgrade the neck item witch is quite powerful. you can also now buy pre packaged buffs ready to go. And in AO, buffs are powerful. Also, many of these items in the CS are not bound to you. You can turn around and trade them ingame. Which is hurting an already failing ingame economy. In fact, they have recently removed several of the known methods of farming money in game. They have cited several different reasons for removing sources of income for players, however, they have not stopped people from trading items they bought with real money.

TSW looks great so far. I would like to try it, but I remain skeptical. FunCom needs to be reminded that every player is a paying customer. 

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

here is the thing most people arent realizing. What Power can you really buy in TSW.

Skills, well that would be a waste since they arnt hard to purchase with in game cred.

Armor, what armor. buy armor if you want it will only make your character more pretty.

Chakra's maybe, but since everything can be taken apart they would probubly only do it for the power words.

Decks, thats actually believable.

Weapons, i have a feeling crafting weapons is gonna become big quickly because of how they set it up. so why would you buy one. specially when its easy to make a build that the weapon cant support. are you gonna have every single buff useable ingame to choose from. I think not.

so really its less of "the cash shops wont sell power" and more of "the cash shops Cant sell power"

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

I hope that is true.

But it's the nature of the beast to funnel you through that shop. They will either find a way, or make one, but they most definately want  players to feel "Cash Shop Envy" They made it happen in AO. 

The suits and investors want to see a return. And they are the ones calling the shots, Not the guys wh invested their dreams and passions into this game.

The issue with the cash shop is that it has to have something for everyone.  If you say social items, that's great for the people who play MMOs and because they stare at their avatar for Hrs on end, want to make sure it looks damned good. 

But the other camp are the theroy guys. You can put them in pink and purlple underwear if it squeezes out that one more point of damage. They don't care what the avatar looks like, as long as it hits like a truck. There has to be something to appeal to these people too.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I really don't think they are pushing for that type of game though. sure they need to keep afloat but they arn't shooting to get 2 millions subscribers. i think Funcom has too much experiance at this point to expect that. New companies could easily think that their game has a chance to hit WoW numbers, Bioware fell into that and got humbled quickly. Funcom has done this quite afew times, so im pretty sure they realize what they have to shoot for.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

I would love to see the altruistic software company who's interest is keeping a happy playerbase 1st as their priority. But I can tell you for a fact. FunCom isn't that company.

Originally posted by LadyNoh

here is the thing most people arent realizing. What Power can you really buy in TSW.

Skills, well that would be a waste since they arnt hard to purchase with in game cred.

Armor, what armor. buy armor if you want it will only make your character more pretty.

Chakra's maybe, but since everything can be taken apart they would probubly only do it for the power words.

Decks, thats actually believable.

Weapons, i have a feeling crafting weapons is gonna become big quickly because of how they set it up. so why would you buy one. specially when its easy to make a build that the weapon cant support. are you gonna have every single buff useable ingame to choose from. I think not.

so really its less of "the cash shops wont sell power" and more of "the cash shops Cant sell power"

Power is irrelevant.  Convenience is a huge issue.  Making it take forever to get a new skill point unless you buy potionx from the CS, or making travel a pain in the arse unless you buy travelmaps is one type of thing you see in CS games.   Instead of fun by design they make the game inconvenient by design simply to encourage CS sales.  Also vanity items are hugely important to a game, and to try and downplay it is silly.  Making paying subscribers look like second class citizens to create CS sales would be a sad development for a game with this much potential.  Granted you may not see this happen... at release.  But frankly I have seen it happen with developers I trust far more than I trust Funcom.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by fenistil

Big enough for both this titles? Sure.

TSW is disqualified for me though.

Why?

Douple Dipping business model.

If they charge for box and subscription I expect no cash shops , rmt & microtransactions.

They do plan do have cash shop that will make ~ 35% of sub amount of money.

thank you for that, didn't know that. I'm no fan of the liars who tout they need a sub to continually maintain a game, that's a 10 yo system of game account revenue intake and should be done, but having all three is entirely too greedy. What are they trying to make back the money they lost on AoC?