Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Mass Effect MMO 'Fun to Think About'

2»

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Absolutely freaking not.

And I say this as someone who loves the ME series and its lore. I don't see how you make it work in the lore. 

The genius of ME's storytelling and emphasis on choice only works because it is a single player game.  (Please don't tell me TOR provides "choice", it really doesn't.)

Besides, with what I'm seeing with ME3, I'm seriously about to engage in makeup sex with bioware after TOR came out.  I don't want this putting a damper on things.  Thankfully, they seem to realize it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Maybe in a few years, when Bioware has learned some new MMO tricks. If SWTOR wasnt about SW, but Mass Effect instead, I wouldnt have bought it. SW games is one of my weak points :p

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Neloth

At least they appear to appreciate the vastness of such a task. 

Yeah, Bioware is a bit more humble, since they really seemed to think that making their first MMO would be a cakewalk. :p

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Over the past 2 months I have seen what Bioware is capable of, making an MMO, with a SW ip no less, not impressed.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

its not that Bioware is humble. They were Humbled when they realized that what they have taken afew years to make was outshined within 2 months.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

After the utterly lackluster TOR - I'd be very skeptical about Bioware putting together a worthy ME MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Bad idea for the next 5 years at least...

They could have chosen to make their MMO based on ME instead of KOTOR but making 2 so similar MMOs would just divide their playerbase.

If they want to turn a Bioware game more into a MMO there is just one great choice (since NWN is owned by Prefect world now): Baldurs gate. Yeah, Hasbro owns the FR license but they had no issue licensing DDO to have Menzoberenzan from FR so BW could get it as well.

ME is too similar to KOTOR and DA just ain´t good enough. I am sure a BG MMO would have plenty of players as long as they kept some of the original feeling in it though.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

The only way for BW to make a good MMO is to grow some balls and

open up a new MMO dev. department that has nothing to do with SWTOR.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I think airing their thoughts about the idea is an obvious topic:

1) ME3 -> multiplayer element

2) More branching/impactful stories -> more players?

3) Building the ME IP even more -> mmo?

For sure the "how" of this is complete speculation. But does not stop the question or consideration. As said above, Bioware would need to eat those words they said about what it takes to get it right. I also think that the potential for making an innovative-blockbuster mmorpg is leaning more towards fps/"shooter"-sci-fi among other stand out high-level design decisions.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Nope, it's terrible idea. Part of reason why Mass Effect is so good is tight plot. Sure you can do something differently but it's more an dribble in ocean. Main course is laid ahead and your ship will go down it like it or not. And thats why its so great singleplayer experience. There is tons of other IP that suite much better loose ended MMO design than Mass Effect series.

How about Skyrim, those generated quests were as boring as most quest junk in MMOs. One part done, million to go.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

BioWare is just too "single-player" for me. I'll certainly pass on this one.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I said it more than a year ago when I first started testing SWTOR, that Bioware had ZERO idea how the hell to make an MMO, and zero experience, ability, or expectation to make a successful one.

After seeing the " my poop don't stink " attitude that Bioware has, or the fact EA says to investors that Bioware is just a name now and  most coding projects will be outsourced to reduce overhead, I am 1000% confident any ME MMO will be so bad it would make SWTOR look good by comparison.

I pray ME 3 turns things around for Bioware, but at the rate they are going it looks like it may just be one more good company EA shoots in the head.