Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best Sandbox at this moment in time?

YounggYoungg Member Posts: 61

Ive recently been trying a few sandboxes and at some point they all have something that destroys the immersion anyone know of any sandboxes that are none Asian that have full Sandbox style gameplay ?

Comments

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Lol
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Garrys mod. Best sandbox ever.  o.o

Aside from that theres the usual minecraft, terraria, skyrim trio.  Soon theres going to be cube world but Im not sure...that might be linear but I really didnt check on it much at all.  Looked nice though!

Red dead redemption is good too

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    theres this game called EVE online....
  • ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Youngg

Ive recently been trying a few sandboxes and at some point they all have something that destroys the immersion anyone know of any sandboxes that are none Asian that have full Sandbox style gameplay ?

EvE online. It's also the only one that has a decent population. Either that or Ultima Online if you don't mind playing a game with outdated graphics.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

eve

or

perpetuum (eve with robots)

although i hear from lots of people uncharted waters in fun, im going to give that a go soon.

Originally posted by Castillle

Aside from that theres the usual minecraft, terraria, skyrim trio.  Soon theres going to be cube world but Im not sure...that might be linear but I really didnt check on it much at all.  Looked nice though!

skyrim isnt really a sandbox, its more a sandpark

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

EVE, no contest.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If you don't care for EVE (and many don't, definitely caters to a niche market) your options are definitely limited at the present time.

Some folks would tell you to give Mortal Online or Darkfall a go, (or heck even Xyson) but they cater to even smaller niches, and suffer from severe quality control and/or completion issues.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Eve Online hands down

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Eve Online

...is the one-eyed man in the land of blind. Sadly, being "the best sandbox" is hardly a merit since the competition is laughable at best.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think Darkfall is the best, personally. If EvE had land based play, then I would choose it.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Ryzom is probably the best land-based sandbox.  Thats not saying much though

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The best sandbox out now is Uncharted Waters Online.  It's a Japanese game, which is Asian only in the sense that the Mario and Zelda games are.  When people here say "Asian", they usually mean "Korean" or "Chinese".

I guess it's not a 100% pure sandbox, but no game is a 100% pure sandbox, or for that matter, a 100% pure theme park.

Originally posted by Quizzical

The best sandbox out now is Uncharted Waters Online.  It's a Japanese game, which is Asian only in the sense that the Mario and Zelda games are.  When people here say "Asian", they usually mean "Korean" or "Chinese".

I guess it's not a 100% pure sandbox, but no game is a 100% pure sandbox, or for that matter, a 100% pure theme park.

another recomendation, i think i shuld give it a try.

how is the cash shop though?  would i have to spend a fortune to be competative at PVP or could i get away with putting away a "sub fee" to one side and using that to buy stuff?

Originally posted by jusomdude

I think Darkfall is the best, personally. If EvE had land based play, then I would choose it.

you just described perpetuum

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Probably the one around the corner in the park...you know. Were all the kids play.

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

MINECRAFT

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Sandbox MMO - EvE

Sandbox MP - Minecraft

Sandpark - Skyrim

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Eve, Darkfall. Your only real choices at the moment.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by Castillle

skyrim isnt really a sandbox, its more a sandpark

I thought Skyrim was a single player RPG?

Where's the any key?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I have played alot of sandboxes however i always fall back on Face Of Mankind. the game has its own senate to discuss and change laws that the Devs actually code into the game if they are around for long enough.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Eve is the best when it comes to Sci-fi.  UO or Asheron's call are probably the best when it comes to fantasy if you can stand the dated graphics.

Uncharted Waters is good, but the cash shop can drain your funds fast if you get too involved in it.

Darkfall has a major problems, no skill cap, makes the gap between veteran and young players way to huge.  The developers refuse too address this issue, hence it is a recommended avoid. 

Mortal online is just a bug fest at this time.

Skyrim is a single player rpg that is NOT in any way a sandbox.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

EvE?  EvE??  What are you all talking about?  He said "best" not "biggest". 

Anyway, there really are no good sandbox MMOs out right now.  I don't know if you wanted to include single player games or not.

One to look out for though is ArcheAge.  I think that one will turn the whole "Sandbox MMO" genre around.  Yes it's being made in Asia, but it's not really Asian themed and it doesn't seem to give off any of those Asian F2P vibes.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

DarkFall by far

EvE would top it if only had a, you know, real combat system.

as it is now I would rather watch a 6 hour special of "the exciting world of watching grass grow" than playing EvE.

EvE is one of those games that you love reading people's posts about awesome things happening there, but when you actually play it you suddenly feel the urge to do something more thrilling and dynamic...like doing the laundry.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I'd recommend either Ryzom, Xsyon or Haven&Hearth if you want to have a character instead of a spaceship.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.