Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wishful thinking

I like to write in forums about mmorpg's. I have played several of them, am a big fan since 12 years and found mmorpg.com a good website having lots of information.

But oh my fking God, can you tune up the atmosphere please? I don't mind a wild hate post appearing, a troll or a spam. As long as it's rare, and not like ONE IN FIVE POSTS! Is this an mmorpg website with a forum, or an mmorpg website with a huge mind dumping garbage can? I know you have this spam section. So why don't you nicely move over some of those posts to that section so I, as a pretty decent gamer, can enjoy my fun gaming experience with likeminded people? I have no nicer words for this.

Or maybe I should look for another website. This has been going on long enough. Hence my topic name "wishful thinking". Oh yeah, and there is such thing as "setting an example". Ever heard of that?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Powermike

I like to write in forums about mmorpg's. I have played several of them, am a big fan since 12 years and found mmorpg.com a good website having lots of information.

But oh my fking God, can you tune up the atmosphere please? I don't mind a wild hate post appearing, a troll or a spam. As long as it's rare, and not like ONE IN FIVE POSTS! Is this an mmorpg website with a forum, or an mmorpg website with a huge mind dumping garbage can? I know you have this spam section. So why don't you nicely move over some of those posts to that section so I, as a pretty decent gamer, can enjoy my fun gaming experience with likeminded people? I have no nicer words for this.

Or maybe I should look for another website. This has been going on long enough. Hence my topic name "wishful thinking". Oh yeah, and there is such thing as "setting an example". Ever heard of that?

Since you like writing about MMOs, have you considered using the blog feature here?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Originally posted by Loktofeit

Since you like writing about MMOs, have you considered using the blog feature here?

With writing I meant replying on forum topics.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

[mod edit]

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

[mod edit]

• [mod edit]

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

If you feel that a post or thread is in violation of our Rules of Conduct, please go ahead and report it. Other than that, our site and forums are made up of gamers with probably as many different tastes and preferences in MMOs as we have forums so it can be pretty easy to get into an argument. With that said, we do ask that users treat each other with civility and respect even if they do disagree and we are striving to foster an environment that is conducive to such, but we also know things will never be perfect.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Most people just want the mods to delete any post that doesn't agree with their idea.  They call that 'trolling' since if you aren't a pro-sandbox WoW hater, you're intentionally trolling people because only the non-hip sheep like that!

Someone doesn't agree with you and posts in your thread explaining why, and you call that a troll?

Bounce out.

Oh and [mod edit]

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I find that being upset that people are trying to make you upset is self defeating.

Just my two cents.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by Khaeros

Most people just want the mods to delete any post that doesn't agree with their idea.  They call that 'trolling' since if you aren't a pro-sandbox WoW hater, you're intentionally trolling people because only the non-hip sheep like that!

Someone doesn't agree with you and posts in your thread explaining why, and you call that a troll?

Bounce out.

I personally never read forums while playing EQ so I never noticed it.  I did notice it in WoW.. I never call people trolls because I do not care. Same thing with ignore feature.  Really the only use I could see if for a bot program spamming.  But I guess today people prefer the cowards way of running from their problems, fears and arguments. 

I realize everybody has different beliefs and I do not care if someone disagrees with me.  In fact, I want somebody to disagree so I can argue my point even if it does get out of control... because it is something to do... better than playing these boring games that are being produced.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

There're some great posters and bloggers here.  Just those alone are good for visiting.  Sadly, there are TONS of critical but nonconstuctive posts that you have to wade through on popular topics.

Tip #1: If the thread title looks inflammatory or gets an emotional rise out of you, consider not even opening it.

Tip #2: If you do open it, don't post there, even if you're being the knight-in-shining-armor-voice-of-reason.  Why?  Because A: the thread will piss you off, and B you'll get a warning or temp ban from the mods (which will only frustrate you even more).

Tip #3: You should visit other forums and use some self discipline so that you aren't browsing forums too much for your own good.  A: Other forums will give you more information and perspectives at times.  B: If you find yourself always looking at forums that make you upset, you'll begin to develop some poor mental health.

This is just MHO, but it worked for me!

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

If MMOs weren't at their lowest point in the genre's history there woudln't be as much doom posting.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

You take various styles of mmorpg players and then mix them and expect harmony? Then take various fans of mmorpg's at each others throats and expect further harmorny? Most of what we do here is disagree on basically everything.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Puremallace

You take various styles of mmorpg players and then mix them and expect harmony? Then take various fans of mmorpg's at each others throats and expect further harmorny? Most of what we do here is disagree on basically everything.  

Ironically, considering I have disagreed with some of what you have said in the past, I can do nothing but completely agree with this statement entirely. 

Really, this site has more "debate" than some religious and political sites out there. I am always stunned by the sheer level of "my game is better than your game,"  and "you suck because you like that game" mentality that dominates so many of the threads on these forums.

• Originally posted by MikeB

If you feel that a post or thread is in violation of our Rules of Conduct, please go ahead and report it. Other than that, our site and forums are made up of gamers with probably as many different tastes and preferences in MMOs as we have forums so it can be pretty easy to get into an argument. With that said, we do ask that users treat each other with civility and respect even if they do disagree and we are striving to foster an environment that is conducive to such, but we also know things will never be perfect.

Well, I agree and I think your website can do better. I can't stop noticing how the quality of the forums here keep being diminished by a few active trollers/haters/etc. I am not only talking about personal distaste, but also about different atmospheres on different forums. Now your website is about the whole mmorpg genre, and I think there needs to be more balance, as in less trolling and hating and more constructive posting. I don't mean Rules of Conduct and all that stuff. I just mean improving the community. Maybe from scratch.