Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Mass Effect MMO 'Fun to Think About'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While not exactly confirming an MMO based on the Bioware Mass Effect trilogy, Drs. Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka admit to giving the idea some thought in a new interview at Penny Arcade.

It became clear they had given the idea at least some thought. “It’s daunting, but the neat thing is it would lend itself to a different type of game play. It’s fun to think about. I imagine people think it would be just like Mass Effect as it is… but there’s lots of people there. It’s really interesting, I don’t know. It’s a tough one.”

The same interview also discusses the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic and the upcoming release of Mass Effect 3 and the conclusion of the epic RPG series.

Read the full interview at the link above.

Source: FPSGuru

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

It's an interesting thought and i do find myself immersed in that universe frequently, but i just can't trust that they would do it justice. I think they should leave well enough alone.  Just my two cents.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Bioware already has one MMO thats set in a Sci Fi world(s).  They should stick to that... it would end up being very similar in every way, probably to a fault.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    ALthough the idea is fun and when done right, a Mass Effect MMO would definitely be awesome. But when they're playing with the idea now, it just means that any expectancy of such an MMO is 5 years or more into the future. That's way too far to be interested in it, so much can happen in that time.
  • mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I dunno they just released a sci-fi mmo... with lightsabers.. if you cant get sci-fi game WITH LIGHTSABERS right there is no hope for one without.

C

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

If it's anything like SWTOR, and I'm sure it will be, I'll pass, thanks.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

I'm sure it will be a Titan-clone.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    I didnt even like Mass Effect 2.
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Bioware mmo?Thanks ill pass.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Pass, after the job they did on SWTOR, just saying..........

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

If it would be like sw:tor then no, don't bother.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by greyed-out

I'm sure it will be a Titan-clone.

To soon. :(

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

How about we stop having singleplayer RPG devs make MMOs? They're clearly VERY bad at it.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

A Mass Effect MMORPG is very possible and could be brilliant.  Then again, I said that about 6 years ago about a BioWare+Star Wars MMO so...

But seriously, I would hope BioWare would not stick to the same design philosophies from TOR.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I think ME the MMO is the game they should have made instead of TOR. I doubt it would have been any better game but at least BW would have been in familiar territory.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65

IF they ever did a Mass Effect MMO, I hope they make it a sandbox game.  PLEASE do not make another SWTOR theme-park on rails!   A dream Mass Effect MMO would be:

- skill based with no levels

- fully realized ecologies of plant and animal life

- using the ME science and physics models, model the wonders of space exploration

- allow players to build and establish their own space colonies, outposts, mining platforms, etc.

- use some form of EVE modeling for space combat along with high sec ideas for various risk zones for PVP

- write and market the game for MATURE audiences for once!  (I tire of everything being dumbed down for kiddies)

Originally posted by DeaconX

A Mass Effect MMORPG is very possible and could be brilliant.  Then again, I said that about 6 years ago about a BioWare+Star Wars MMO so...

But seriously, I would hope BioWare would not stick to the same design philosophies from TOR.

Bioware's philosophies with TOR are their same philosophies they use in Mass Effect. They simply don't know how to make multiplayer games, so expecting them to do it differently than they have in the past 20 years is a bit much.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Garvon3

Bioware's philosophies with TOR are their same philosophies they use in Mass Effect. They simply don't know how to make multiplayer games, so expecting them to do it differently than they have in the past 20 years is a bit much.

Partially correct.  BioWare's design for TOR's personal side of the game remained the same.  However, in their approach at creating an MMORPG, they greatly stuck to the 'tried, tested, true and tired' medicore formulae that has defined the genre for many years now as a standard set by WoW.

They literally looked at WoW and said 'THIS is what an MMO is.  THIS is our design guide.'

Aside fromt he storytelling design they brought from their usual Single Player games, the improvements to the mmo genre are very minor.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by Garvon3

Partially correct.  BioWare's design for TOR's personal side of the game remained the same.  However, in their approach at creating an MMORPG, they greatly stuck to the 'tried, tested, true and tired' medicore formulae that has defined the genre for many years now as a standard set by WoW.

They literally looked at WoW and said 'THIS is what an MMO is.  THIS is our design guide.'

Aside fromt he storytelling design they brought from their usual Single Player games, the improvements to the mmo genre are very minor.

Well that's just the thing. They shouldn't have made a singleplayer side and an "MMO side". They should have made an MMO. But they don't know how. Singleplayer instanced storylines to not work in an MMO, especially if that's the primary focus of the game. Everything else will suffer for it.

• Pretndr01Pretndr01 Member Posts: 8
    Commenters are not considering the fact that a mass effect mmo would be a fpsmmo and probably more similar to global agenda than swtor. i think if done right it could revolutionize the fpsmmo market but it would likely be a very daunting task and take at least 5 years to complete as a poster above me suggested. good idea in theory but probably too complicated to pull off
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Zeschuk meanwhile also believes, "When you deliver a game, and you deliver it for a player, you have to capture what they think is the possibility space. You need to let them do everything they think they should do, and you can’t block them from doing anything they think they should be able to do. You have to nail all the features and content that should be in that possibility space."

I think this guy genuinely knows what he's talking about. In a way they'd have to do something similar to GW2 in terms of redefine game design (GW2: for themepark) more in line to what players expect. For Sci-Fi / Mass Effect if I try to interprete that:

1. MMO-FPS (or at least like Firefall)

2. Sci-Fi : Sandbox more like EvE open-world + ship/avatar/alliances/deeeeeeep space.. ;)

3. The devs would have to produce really convincing PvE that meshes with PvP a whole more, along the lines of dev-run events that could be affected/effected by players and scaled up a ton.

4. There would have to be some mechanism of "lasting change" for players that also ties in/avoids clashing with a suitable payment model atst.

They'd need to stick to exactly what's he's said: Bring Mass Effect universe/IP to life; FPS suits Sci-Fi; much more sandbox compared to swtor to confound expectations/make it stand out as something completely different.

As said, tall order!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

it will be exactly like SWTOR but with driving a buggy thing about on some moons instead of the on the rails space shooter bit.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I think you guys are living in a dreamworld, if you think that Bioware is going to publish a sandbox MMO. 

If you insist on speculating on ME MMO at least be realistic.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by thexrated

I think you guys are living in a dreamworld, if you think that Bioware is going to publish a sandbox MMO. 

If you insist on speculating on ME MMO at least be realistic.

I can't see them doing it... but they should/seem to suggest they know what it would take to make it work (hypothetical).

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Yeah right, a carbon copy of SW:TOR with a mass effect flavor?

No thanks.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

At least they appear to appreciate the vastness of such a task. Transferring ME to MMO is not easy. But I can see how it could be done with over the shoulder shooter, almost like the single player game without the pauses, dunno how multiplayer works in ME3.

It won't be a sandbox, if we're lucky we would get the story/themepark and all that in safe core worlds with contested "lawless" regions outside which can be somewhat sandbox. My dream would be the Eve model, with relatively safe core and less safety the further away from the core you go (yeah some say low sec is less safe than 0.0 but whatever). Space fights with Eve like space and controlling ships with a STO scheme. Unreal Engine 4 sounds right to me but not sure how fitting it is for a mmo, they got extensive experience with UE3 AFAIK.

This way we can get the new players introduced to the game in safety, with all the bells and whistles of story/cut scenes and at end game there could be a natural evolution to the sandbox, I think sandbox fits well at end game. TOR is an obvious demonstration of how lacking end game, new content just can't come soon enough.

The presence of a ME MMO does not need to "destroy" your bestest single player game, they can still do single player in parallel with a MMO, just shift the time or some other lore trick.