Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PREDICTION! TERA F2P 3mo after Gw2

Comments

• quasi_deadquasi_dead Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Originally posted by NBlitz

People overhyping GW2 will be the most disappointed.

GW2 will always be there as that comfy pillow you know you can fall back safely on.

B2P might just bite them in the ass later on.

Weird statement, seeing as how GW1 is also B2P. I haven't heard anything about that doing bad, or Arenanet losing money over it?

A certain amount of people have convinced themselves that B2P games dont make money.

Despite 99% games being B2P.

I guess all that patching MMOs need must be a real bank breaker though 

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by BrokenSpoon

Aion Release - Sep 22 2009

Aion Huge Server Merge - July 14 2010

10 months for aion to condense the servers to repopulate them...

And what? 1 year and Tera did what? --- your just throwing more crap on a big pile of turd you lot chat about.. 

All this combined started a large downwards spiral for the game, a quick server merging followed and 37 servers became 35. 5 months later another huge merger followed.

NHN Korea, the publisher for TERA Korea, announced that the game will go through its 2nd major server merge on 2nd June 2011. More recently, NHN Korea posted the company's latest revenue and earnings, with TERA not meeting the expected figures. During the first round of server merge, 37 servers were merged into 35. In this coming round, the 35 servers will be merged into only 15, with the top 2 populated servers unaffected.

http://www.mushroom-mayhem.com/index.php/component/k2/item/12-tera-the-walking-dead-mmo

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

I'll say this to everyone who said the same thing before you stick to predicting the lottery ^_^

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by quasi_dead

Originally posted by BizkitNL

People overhyping GW2 will be the most disappointed.

GW2 will always be there as that comfy pillow you know you can fall back safely on.

B2P might just bite them in the ass later on.

Weird statement, seeing as how GW1 is also B2P. I haven't heard anything about that doing bad, or Arenanet losing money over it?

A certain amount of people have convinced themselves that B2P games dont make money.

Despite 99% games being B2P.

I guess all that patching MMOs need must be a real bank breaker though 

The difference is that B2P games dont require the massive infrastructure an MMO needs and its why GW1 is all instanced and its a lobby game because its a much cheaper infrastructure to maintain cause it would come down at the same price as keeping a MW3 server.

I dont doubt they will make the money back but profits will only happen after a lot of units have been sold and after people start buying stuff from the cash shop and expansions. The trick with GW is building enough tools that you can churn out content quick and at really low cost that will make people want to spend money on it. Actually there will be a direct correlation between people buying the game and people buying shit from their cash shop, cause as soon as that shop goes gold and people just buy the game, the cost of maintaining the servers is now eating at the money they are making back .

On a side note over your arrogant comment, games are a pretty bad investment, like really bad, most games make no money and fail ofc you as a consumer only really hear about BF3 making millions, and MW3 breaking records and how awesome Skyrim is, but for each of those, hundreds are making losses and people being made redundant even with decent games. Games are not this dream land where you make angry birds in two days and become a millionaire. 

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

What boggles my mind is that its not F2P from the very beginning.

Tera is same design, same concept, same story, same everything that 1000 other korean made MMO's are that all release with the F2P model.

IMO all the hype behind Tera really shows just how little the average American gamer knows, and how few games they have actually played.

On the other side of the coin, I really am glad some people are enjoying it.

I just wish people would stop trying to over-hype the game, its an ok game, but it really isnt the end all be all some people have convinced themselves that it is.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Sorrow

Tera is same design, same concept, same story, same everything that 1000 other korean made MMO's are that all release with the F2P model.

IMO all the hype behind Tera really shows just how little the average American gamer knows, and how few games they have actually played.

I just wish people would stop trying to over-hype the game, its an ok game, but it really isnt the end all be all some people have convinced themselves that it is.

I agree with this for any MMO, its not just TERA, its GW2, its TSW, its SWTOR, and it will be Titan, World of Darkness. Everything is over hyped, why I stopped paying attention to the hype, just read about it, and try it when I can.

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

I think TERA would eventually go F2P, as it seems the trend for most MMOs of late, but personally I don't see it happening as soon as OP suggests.

pie.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Arawulf

Originally posted by gaugemew

For the last time, TERA isn't in competition with GW2.  The people at enmasse are looking for an entirely different demographic.

Sure people from GW2 will play it till GW2 comes out, but the combat systems in both games are radically different.

It's more of an Aion/Lineage competitor - and it's going to have trouble since both of those games are already F2P :P  I hope they have the game set up for a smooth F2P transition.

I can't speak for Lineage as I never played that. I played Aion for over 2 years and Aion is dying out. So many people are waiting for TERA to drop. F2P is not going to save Aion. I don't think people will stick around with it simply for the pvp twinks during rifting who will go out and kill people. The population is on the decline. After playing TERA I definetly would not go back to Aion. This game blows it away with everything. The combat style is just awesome. The graphics and the world look better too and Aion was beautiful.

There is no need to make TERA f2p anyways. Even when I play games that are f2p I will pay the sub. 1. because I do not mind because I make 15 bucks in minutes while at work. 2.I like having access to all the content etc. I think TERA is going to retain more of a PVP crowd vs a PVE crowd. Though I could be wrong but I prefer to PVP and it seems like this game is better aimed at that.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Beacker

<>

I can't speak for Lineage as I never played that. I played Aion for over 2 years and Aion is dying out. So many people are waiting for TERA to drop. F2P is not going to save Aion. I don't think people will stick around with it simply for the pvp twinks during rifting who will go out and kill people. The population is on the decline. After playing TERA I definetly would not go back to Aion.<>

It would be funny like hell to watch the inverse happen here in the West. AION is the queen bee in town in S-Korea. I don´t get it image

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

imo threads like this just stating "game X will go F2P in Y time" should just be deleted as troll garbage.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Anthur

imo threads like this just stating "game X will go F2P in Y time" should just be deleted as troll garbage.

I have to agree there it really is not adding anything productive about the game. Report the thread than sir.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I'm just wondering why is Tera singled out what about all the other MMO's there not gonna go F2P also once the holy grail MMO comes out ??????

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Why does it bother you so much that it's P2P and most of the tera community would like it to stay that way?   Why is it ok for the community to over hype GW2 but not for other games?

As you say "people are enjoying it" as a p2p game,  so why all the hate.  Don't like it then move on.

As for me, i'm glad its p2p and will not fall into that cesspool they call f2p.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by nationalcity

I'm just wondering why is Tera singled out what about all the other MMO's there not gonna go F2P also once the holy grail MMO comes out ??????

Some people have major beef with the latest South-Korean title to come out in the West: TERA.

Like, this one guy who's a game "journalist" was in one of the TERA beta weekends and he absolutely hated it. He had no fun.

He gets into the GW2 press beta and you know what he said the following week after the event ended?

"Wow! Combat was soooooo much fun. I could block stuff and dodge! So much fun!" He proceed to squeal like a little school girl some more. And there I was thinking: but, wtf? You played TERA before you played GW2 and NOW you get excited about being able to dodge stuff in real time?

I too want to play GW2 badly, but...come on. Give. me. a. break.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Why do people over hype GW2 so much lol

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

The amount of 'knowledge' in this thread is staggering.

I'll be bookmarking this thread and link to it in 2015 when everyone here is proven wrong ^^

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

I see SWToR going F2P due to GW2 before TERA...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by ChromeBallz

The amount of 'knowledge' in this thread is staggering.

I'll be bookmarking this thread and link to it in 2015 when everyone here is proven wrong ^^

If we're alive by then, I'm sure we'll care.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Killsmallchi

TERA will go F2P 3 months after GW2. I put my buck on this bet and think it is pretty solid. DOes anyone see that this game will have a long and happy subscription life?

This is also fueled by the obvious beauty of TERA making it very well suited to sell costumes and make alot of money because of how pretty the game is.

So you base this off of what data, concepts, or info?

The game is still pay to play in Korea, which is actually very rare, so why do you think that in a more common place P2P market (NA / EU) it will go F2P first?

That makes no sense?

Also, why do we think that F2P is like a bad word or something, or a sign of failure?   F2P games have made more money and generate more money than P2P ones now... look at Farmville, its a F2P game.

TERA will probably go F2P when every other game in NA does, shortly after WoW does.  F2P is just  achange in pricing, it does not really change anything when it comes to quality, content, or game direction.

(If they do the right F2P model)

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

I'm interested in Tera, but I'm not sure about its success.  There seems to a fuss about how great the combat is, but to be honest from what I've seen (note: I've yet to get a hands on) its basically a copied SWG's NGE system.  I'm not sure it will go F2P so soon, but I'd expect it to perform on the same level as Rift.

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Laughing-man

TERA will go F2P 3 months after GW2. I put my buck on this bet and think it is pretty solid. DOes anyone see that this game will have a long and happy subscription life?

This is also fueled by the obvious beauty of TERA making it very well suited to sell costumes and make alot of money because of how pretty the game is.

The game is still pay to play in Korea, which is actually very rare, so why do you think that in a more common place P2P market (NA / EU) it will go F2P first?

That makes no sense?

Also, why do we think that F2P is like a bad word or something, or a sign of failure?   F2P games have made more money and generate more money than P2P ones now... look at Farmville, its a F2P game.

TERA will probably go F2P when every other game in NA does, shortly after WoW does.  F2P is just  achange in pricing, it does not really change anything when it comes to quality, content, or game direction.

^^ Don't feed the trolls or argue with fools....You made you points quite cogently.....

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

OP: do you really believe, in these times more people play hyped game A three months after release than 1 month after release?

No, they don´t.
    It won´t change with TERA and it won´t change with Guild Wars 2.

You don´t need a crystal ball and rocket science for this.

Sadly todays market = box sales at release > all

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Best thing about Tera is the combat

here is Guild Wars 2 combat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0-S9SQCW4

Looks like Guild wars 2 gives Tera a close fight in that area :)

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by Arcona

Looking forward to play both at launch, have to say though GW2 combat aint nothing like TERA, its still a hotkey mmo. Its a fight that TERA wins hands down.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Just because almost all f2p mmorpg are made in korean doesn't mean every Korean game has to be f2p. And what hype are you even talking about? All of us only came out because all the people constantly bashing the game. If you want hype look at GW2 and SWTOR, thats hype. Completely excitement for a game they never played, most Tera supporter here have played Tera. Ya to us its a good game, never said it was for everyone but seem like there so many people feel the need to make it seem like a worthless game.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

That makes no sense?

Problem with F2P is that so far almost no company has ever done it right, they all start out ok and after few year let greed get better of them and make the game P2W. I play fiesta, a korean f2p mmorpg when it came out in NA. The game was simple it was a grind bu t i love the graphic and simplity. Commuity was great. When cash shop was first released it only sold 1 costum and than later added other one. 2 year passes and cash shop sell cash shop pots that instant heals to full hp/mp with no cd, charms that boost dmg/def by 20% and 50% and can stack together for 70%. Enhancement before cash shop was possible to get to +9 (max) w/o any cash item and every patch the enhancement rate get lower so people have to buy cash item. End game +9 1 item cost 60-100, and by end game if you didn't have +9 you basically fail to even grind because the monster are so hard. Great game great community all went down the toliet coz of messed up cash shop. I'm sure many people here had similar experience. Why I finally switch to P2P coz 15 dollar a month is nothing compare to around mini of 30 dollar a month to keep a high lvl character running in some f2p games.

I'm going to enjoy all the GW2 fanboy cry over GW2 when it comes out. I'll say this now it won't meet up to more than half of the fanboy's expection because simply no game can. Whats sad is its not even Arena Nets's fault, they deliver what they promise but the fanboy make so much stuff up that they never promised or planed they just can't meet that. Make me look forward to GW2's release more than  Tera.

Some people have major beef with the latest South-Korean title to come out in the West: TERA.

Like, this one guy who's a game "journalist" was in one of the TERA beta weekends and he absolutely hated it. He had no fun.

He gets into the GW2 press beta and you know what he said the following week after the event ended?

"Wow! Combat was soooooo much fun. I could block stuff and dodge! So much fun!" He proceed to squeal like a little school girl some more. And there I was thinking: but, wtf? You played TERA before you played GW2 and NOW you get excited about being able to dodge stuff in real time?

I too want to play GW2 badly, but...come on. Give. me. a. break.

I laugh at everyone wh o tell me GW2 combat is better than Tera or more action based. I wonder if they even payed attention because all the vidoe i watched most skill are still lock on. Only difference is you can use skill w/o a target which do you no good at all beside showing off or its an aoe. All other skill have auto lock on which means you can't dodge for shit unless you use an dodge/parry/block skill. Its like an upgraded verison of tab target where you get more freedom and instead of tab target its auto target. Yet people try to run it off as more action combat than Tera, other reason why the game will never meet up to the overly hpyed expection.

Originally posted by Punk999

Why do people over hype GW2 so much lol

Same reason why SWTOR probably, they not really hyped over the game like most Tera players are, they are hyped over the name GW, just like people were hpyed by Star War rather than SWTOR as a game.

Originally posted by Arcona

No not even close, its still targeted combat with much more freedom in movement. if you notice you can move way in middle of attack and you can see the sword just hitting empty air yet ir still register as a hit. Just like most tab target mmorpg once the skill/attack goes off you can't dodge it unless you use a dodge skill. Tera there are hit boxes where if you don't reach teh hitbox its not a hit. GW2 is dynamic combat, a more polished up verison of tab target combat system you have, not where is it near the hack and slash of Tera's action combat. But if thats what you perfer than more power to you.