Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 Sell "Well" Over 2 Million Copies?

KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Do you think GW2 will sell well over 2 Million copies its first week of release?

If it doesn't sell at least twice as many as SWTOR its a failure.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
Bladezz (The Guild)

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Keogh

Do you think GW2 will sell well over 2 Million copies its first week of release?

If it doesn't sell at least twice as many as SWTOR its a failure.

You really should have categories for 1m - 2m and less than a million.  Even one that's less than 500,000k.  Skeptics shouldn't be excluded.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I expect 1 mil. The hype is big but people really forget that without big ip and big marketing campaign it's not that easy to sell a lot of units that fast.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Including pre-orders?

I dunno. Between 1 or 2 is my guess. 2 is optomistic but attainable.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I'm going with a humble 2.5 million... however as word of mouth spreads about the game you'll see that at least double (if not more) by the end of the game's first year.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

No less than 5 million.  And yes you may laugh.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Id say about 1 million first week, but I think the sales will continue over time much stronger than SWTOR

Are we including preorders?

(Poll is biased, people like myself that dont think it will hit 2mil in first week wont vote so any results will be skewed)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

That's the most skewed poll I've seen in a while, thus i went with 14 trillion copies sold!

* Waves at Pushkina *

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

You have 14 Trillion as an option but nothing less then 2 million? I think the game will do really well from what I've seen. It seems like they said "this is what the game is gonna be" and the game actually turned out to be what they said. There will always be those that overhype themselves.

I've given up a long time ago looking for that "perfect" mmo. The feelings I had the first time I set foot into SWG or FFXI and later wow, will never come again. It was a whole new world back then. But I will say that GW2 seems like it is serious about being an mmo contender. As opposed to the likes of TOR and DCU which had more of a "lets cash in as much and as fast as possible before they realize this is crap".

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

to biazed a poll to deserve anything but being locked !

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

14 Trillion of course, were gonna have a bout a dozen different alien species come and buy it on the first day of sales ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I love the prospect of eventually playing Guild Wars 2 as much as the next guy on a GW2 forum, but I couldn't help but laugh at this thread. image

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I don't think the first week will be anywhere near 2 million. First month perhaps. Without a proper open beta a lot will wait for reviews, i think. Also, without an open beta a lot of the hype will not reach those people who don't follow mmos. Open betas can be an amazing marketing tool.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KjellarKjellar Member Posts: 2

Voted 14 trillion because the options are ridiculous and the OP's obviously bias.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

If this is true then I can see roughly 4 million just buying the game to replace GW1 figuring (6 million-(a million or so multiple copies + others that were disenchanted with the game) + New interests created from the boredom of players in their current games)

Originally posted by Roybe

If this is true then I can see roughly 4 million just buying the game to replace GW1 figuring (6 million-(a million or so multiple copies + others that were disenchanted with the game) + New interests created from the boredom of players in their current games)

That article is full of holes. Does that 6 million count each individual box sold (as in guild wars, factions, nightfall, eye of the north) or does it mean 6 million accounts... what about the trilogy? is that one box sale or 3? the complete edition, 1 or 4?

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

What's even worse that the retarded poll is the latter half of his comment...

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Vannor

I don't think the first week will be anywhere near 2 million. First month perhaps. Without a proper open beta a lot will wait for reviews, i think. Also, without an open beta a lot of the hype will not reach those people who don't follow mmos. Open betas can be an amazing marketing tool.

Never read a review, your own opinions are the most honest review, most gaming mags sites are bought, though I dont think Anet would buy good reviews but NCSoft might.  look how many played SWtoR open Beta and it still sold close to 2 million copies even though it took most of us past the resubbing date to realise how rubbish it really is and that got rave reviews.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

dont care how much it sells in the first week

- just know I'll be happily playing it  ;)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by Roybe

Bear in mind that thats 6 million copies of Guildwars sold EVER. I seriously doubt that anywhere approaching that number are still playing, or still interested in the game. I expect the release of GW2 will see a lot of ex GW players returnng but nowhere near that many.

Also, this is the exact reason why people will always claim GW2 is a success even if it turns out to be a flop, because they will just quote sales numbers, not current players.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

If there is no "true" open beta with bells and whistle if you buy the game I don't see it cracking 1mil.

Word of mouth is great, but a ip name is greater.

But  I think the overtime selling will pass SW and be second to WoW

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

I dont care, I know I'll be gettin it tho..

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The poll is unrealistic

GW2 will sell well over a million in the first month...

But more then 10 million in the next two years, not accounting for expansion packs. GW2 is one of these games that will not build on first week sales... but is there to stay

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

LOL, I thought I was going to be all unique and clever by answering 14 trillion.  Then I saw the poll results...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Originally posted by Vannor

Never read a review, your own opinions are the most honest review, most gaming mags sites are bought, though I dont think Anet would buy good reviews but NCSoft might.  look how many played SWtoR open Beta and it still sold close to 2 million copies even though it took most of us past the resubbing date to realise how rubbish it really is and that got rave reviews.

I agree but i still think most general gamers, the kind that don't visit sites like this, will want to see some reviews first.

IMO GW2 will be worth the box price even if isn't anywhere near as good as the hype.. I get boxed games that only last 10-20 hrs sometimes... gw1 was a dream for the price vs amount of hours you can get out of it. I'm sure gw2 will fill just as many hours, even if someone thinks other mmos are better it'll still be pretty good value compared to other box games.