Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raaaaaaaaaage!!! PS2 will be region-locked.

fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

http://forums.station.sony.com/station/posts/list.m?topic_id=11500038788 

Sony dipping into their bag of tricks... you have to be kidding me.  This is an awful idea.  PS is a game that thrives when there is a 24/7 war.... nevermind the broken guilds and bad feelings this will cause.

Players understand intercontinental lag... they deal with it... they don't deal with getting screwed so SOE can try and squeeze a few bucks out of a publishing deal.

Terriblex1000 idea.

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

*Sigh*

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

planetside also had 'regional' servers, and while you could if you wanted to, play on a NA server from the EU zone, you were at a severe disadvantage by doing so. making a MMOFPS multi region would mean that whoever was in the same region as the server, would have an unfair advantage over those who were not. Have to remember, the difference between 100ms and 240ms is considerable. enough that those with a poor latency will literally not stand a chance, against those whose latency is good, ie. in the same region as the server, there is no work around for that kind of thing, not in a FPS. Those who familiar with FPS at all, will understand the necessity, and i think, be more than happy to live with that kind of limitation. image

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by fadis

Sony dipping into their bag of tricks... you have to be kidding me.  This is an awful idea.  PS is a game that thrives when there is a 24/7 war.... nevermind the broken guilds and bad feelings this will cause.

Players understand intercontinental lag... they deal with it... they don't deal with getting screwed so SOE can try and squeeze a few bucks out of a publishing deal.

Terriblex1000 idea.

You also have to take in account this game is going to be Free to play. This fact alone should make the PS2 servers as populated as PS prime if not more populated because this opens the doors to a wider audience. I doubt you'll see any issues with region locked servers. I just hope that Sony actually plans on advertising this game, unlike PS where you maybe saw a banner once in a blue moon during reserves.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Terriblex1000 idea.

Yeah they understand lag and know they don't want it in their FPS because it's a game breaker.

The SOE bashing at all cost is getting old folks....

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

the problem is that EU servers will be run by a third rate german tv station... this will end just like WAR and DAoC did in europe with GOA...

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Charas

Terriblex1000 idea.

Yeah they understand lag and know they don't want it in their FPS because it's a game breaker.

The SOE bashing at all cost is getting old folks....

This isn't irrational SOE bashing. 

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Great news! Now I don't have to suffer high-ping laggedy-ass Americans and Asians on my server!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Phry

planetside also had 'regional' servers, and while you could if you wanted to, play on a NA server from the EU zone, you were at a severe disadvantage by doing so. making a MMOFPS multi region would mean that whoever was in the same region as the server, would have an unfair advantage over those who were not. Have to remember, the difference between 100ms and 240ms is considerable. enough that those with a poor latency will literally not stand a chance, against those whose latency is good, ie. in the same region as the server, there is no work around for that kind of thing, not in a FPS. Those who familiar with FPS at all, will understand the necessity, and i think, be more than happy to live with that kind of limitation. image

That depends on how the netcode is built. In many cases, the ones playing with high ping actually have the advantage over the low pingers. This was also the case in PS1 where you could fool the motion prediction more easily with a high ping.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

People say good no laggers but I live in the EU and I get 100-150ping depending on if the server is EC or WC in the US. Considering in most games I see pings from 30-400 and I've never experienced any lag while playing US servers I think that argument fails. You can have laggers in your own country and I bet you loads. When playing console FPS 4 bars means 0 - 200 ping and you can do the math then from 3 bars or below, yet they play fine without moaning. 

If I can play US servers still with the EU version then great, if I cannot then it sucks and I wont be playing.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

another "they screwed me" thread.......and altough i feel your pain here m8 i have to say that they would not do it if it would make people stop buying products that allow this region lock.

As long as the gaming community keeps buying they will add more cash shops and region locks because the crowd keeps on buying it and they get away with it......talk with your money.

In my case.....i have been waiting for diablo 3 for about a billion years now....but i realy have enough of companies telling us how to play the game.....after i learned that it has RMT i was pissed BUT i could ignore that by just not using it....so i was still planning on buying.

After some more reading on D3 and finding out i need to connect to the internet to even play SINGLE player......this i dont like.

The charme D2 had was that i could install it on my laptop and play my favorite game even if no internet connection was there.

Now its just made impossible.....

So i let MY money do the talking and i am going to buy TL2 instead.....the network (internet) play should be an option not a must in a single player game.

but hey.....keep on sponsoring these games that TELL you you MUST be connected to the internet.

It is normal for MMO's offcourse, i am just talking single player.

My point to all this.....if you dont like some features in some games....dont buy it.....passon it, make then think WHY people aint buying their product.....

my 2 copperz.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

this argument would hold water if the old PS was like EvE... But it was not... The old game still had US servers and EU servers so nothing really changed, the only people who played "on the other side" either wanted to do easy caps or worked wonky hours and that minority seems shafted, sorry to say.

This have been a good conversation

from the pro7 community rep

"Friends, As we approach the weekend, we wanted to share that we are working on a plan to keep our communities together with the ProSieben deal. Again, we thank you for your patience - we'll provide more information as soon as it is available".

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

It seems this deal was going to also impact other SOE games...

In any case, it appears to have been noticed - re: SOE/PS1 responses elsewhere on the net.

From twitter

John Smedley@j_smedley

We've come up with a plan to allow ALL players to play on any servers they want. More details to follow.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I dont see how a EU player could be upset (now that it wont be region locked).  The game will get better marketing now, so there will be more people from their own region to play with.  Want to play with US friends and guildies?  Yup you can do that.  Want to play with a larger base of players around your time zone?  Yup you can do that too.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

You are 100 percent correct but people dont' seem to understand latency.  I have zero interest in playing fps style games with anyone with a ping over 150.  What generally happens, lower ping person continues to roll over the high pingers,  high pingers get mad assuming the low pingers must be cheating and thus the high pingers go and get hacks themselves. 

This is one of the few times SOE got it right, region lock the game and keep everyone in that sub 150 ping range and I'm happy at least froma  latency front.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

This would be true IF the SOE servers we indeed in the region they were meant for.

Too bad they are not. The EU EQ2 servers have the same high ping as the US EQ2 servers have for me. Which would mean they're all located in the same data-center and the EU/US indication is only there to keep the regions seperated...

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

despite it being EQ, this effects the Ps2 community as well

http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/27/john-smedley-all-players-on-all-servers/

UPDATE from Zatozia:

Hey there! We have a status update on this topic for you. A solution to keep the communities together is now in the works! We’ll be providing more details about the solution with an official announcement a bit later but we wanted to let everyone know that it was coming as soon as we could. Thank you all for your great feedback on this topic.

UPDATE from Piestro:

Just to elaborate a bit on what Zat said above, last week we let you know that we were working on finding a solution to the EU/US community split. This morning Smed has confirmed we have found a solution to avoid needing the split and are working to make this a full reality.

Smed wanted to let you know as speedily as possible, and tweets are an easy way to do so. It wasn’t a stretch to guess that it would quickly be reposted to the relevant communities. We’ll have more details later as we get them. I’ll clarify a bit right now and say that “All players” in Smed’s tweet specifically referred to all players potentially impacted by the ProSieben deal.

As for further concerns, yes we continue to listen to what you all have to say and are in communication about many of them. Clarification and further communication on many of these concerns is also in the works, but those are seperate issues from the EU server issue and we wanted to get communication about that as quickly as we could.

Update at 2:30pm PST from Brasse:

SOE and ProSieben worked throughout the weekend to develop a plan that will allow our players to access and play on any server regardless of where they are in the world. Our community is our top priority and rest assured, all of your concerns have been heard. We continue to work together with ProSieben and appreciate your patience as we work around the clock to work out critical technical details. We will share more information as soon as possible.

• kokopuffkokopuff Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Beanpuie

despite it being EQ, this effects the Ps2 community as well

http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/27/john-smedley-all-players-on-all-servers/

SOE and ProSieben worked throughout the weekend to develop a plan that will allow our players to access and play on any server regardless of where they are in the world. Our community is our top priority and rest assured, all of your concerns have been heard. We continue to work together with ProSieben and appreciate your patience as we work around the clock to work out critical technical details. We will share more information as soon as possible.

QFE

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Lol, I read the title as religion locked
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by RefMinor

Lol, I read the title as religion locked

Cloaked Pope Detected!!!

• veratutazzveratutazz Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Ingvar

From twitter

John Smedley@j_smedley

We've come up with a plan to allow ALL players to play on any servers they want. More details to follow.

John Smedley j_smedley

"We are working on a plan to insure we don't split the communities up. More info to follow. ""  "

This is the President.. THE PRESIDENT of SOE Somy Online Entertainment... or some lackey hired to do his twitter postings...

and he misspells ENSURE?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

en·sure

verb in-?shu?r

en·sureden·sur·ing

Definition of ENSURE

transitive verb

: to make sure, certain, or safe : guarantee

.learners-link div.learners-link-content
    { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 13px;
    padding: 0 5px 0 22px;
    }
    .learners-link div.learners-link-content a .word
    { text-decoration: none;
    }
    .learners-link div.learners-link-content a:hover .word
    { color: #5358a9;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }
    #content .definition div.d .learners-link a,
    #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:hover,
    #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:link,
    #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:visited
    { color: black;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-variant: normal;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content
    { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    padding: 0 5px 0 0;
    }
    .wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a .word
    { text-decoration: none;
    }
    .wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a:hover .word
    { color: #5358a9;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }
    #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a,
    #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:hover,
    #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:link,
    #content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:visited
    { color: black;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden
    { display: none;
    }
    li.more-sent-link
    { background: none;
    }
    #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link,
    #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link
    { color: #717274;
    font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    }
    #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text,
    #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text
    { text-decoration: underline;
    }
    .example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link,
    .example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link
    { display: none;
    }
    #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon
    { padding-right: 2px;
    }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously????

The Boss? The chief officer in charge of running an online multi-who-knows-how-many-frakkin-dollars company associated with a worldwide audience and a public audience....

MISSPELLS ENSURE ON HIS TWITTER???

What college did this guy (or his lackey) go to??

Am I the only one that finds this to be a HUGE Face Frakking Palm moment?

REALLY?

I mean, when a dorky vice-president misspells potato in public and without a dictionary, we MIGHT afford a little slack, but Jesus USE A SPELL CHECKER!

Or hire someone that made above 1300 on their SAT's.

REALLY?

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by veratutazz

Seriously????

The Boss? The chief officer in charge of running an online multi-who-knows-how-many-frakkin-dollars company associated with a worldwide audience and a public audience....

MISSPELLS ENSURE ON HIS TWITTER???

What college did this guy (or his lackey) go to??

Am I the only one that finds this to be a HUGE Face Frakking Palm moment?

REALLY?

I mean, when a dorky vice-president misspells potato in public and without a dictionary, we MIGHT afford a little slack, but Jesus USE A SPELL CHECKER!

Or hire someone that made above 1300 on their SAT's.

REALLY?

You give most business executives far too much credit.  Intellect isn't exactly one of their job requirements.