Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Wondrous or Worrisome?

Comments

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

If u like killing zombies and running around solving mysteries or doing quests with no instructions this is the game for u.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Given how badly things went for their last two games (with Anarchy Online still to this very day an example of one of the WORST launches in MMO history)  I'm going to give the launch of TSW a pass.  I may check back in six months to a year, but for now, there are too many other games that look interesting, and the companies involved do not have the dismal past history that Funcom has.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

The cash shop, at least from all that I've both seen and read, is convenience only. For instance, players will be able to buy outfit items. Since there IS no armor class in TSW, the purchase is purely for cosmetic looks only. Why would anyone feel compelled to use a cash shop?

Really, this sort of revenue model is a good one. People kvetch about box prices with subs. People kvetch about F2P with item malls. This is a nice mix of both: A quality subscription game (which many say makes a better, higher quality game) with a convenience store if so desired.

Funcom isn't going to be twisting anyone's arm to buy stuff to "win".

The whole "aesthetic only is okay" thing is total bullshit.

People play games for a variety of reasons. Why should someone who wants to look the best aesthetically have to pay more than an adventurer who wants the best gear?

So after I purchase the following:

+$50-$60 for game...

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

....I still have to pay extra for a nice looking cape or cloak?

I'm done with this nickel & diming model. I will not participate. Funcom, IMO, is now in the same bag as Cryptic.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

It's not that I'm skeptical because I think the press is payed to put a positive spin on whatever they experienced, but just that Funcom hasn't allowed any gameplay footage to be shown.  It doesn't matter what the press says, and how honest they are, if it's not backed up by anything solid I can judge for myself.

Guess you could say I'm "cautiously optimistic" because I actually liked AO and AOC (you'd think I were the only one, the way these forums go on about Funcom) but nothing can really sell a game to me, but seeing the game itself.  Not trailers, not zone flythroughs with little snippets of gameplay, but raw uncut footage of how it actually plays.

If they're so close to release, and can't allow people to show any of that?  Yeah, I'm going to start getting pretty skeptical.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

The cash shop, at least from all that I've both seen and read, is convenience only. For instance, players will be able to buy outfit items. Since there IS no armor class in TSW, the purchase is purely for cosmetic looks only. Why would anyone feel compelled to use a cash shop?

Really, this sort of revenue model is a good one. People kvetch about box prices with subs. People kvetch about F2P with item malls. This is a nice mix of both: A quality subscription game (which many say makes a better, higher quality game) with a convenience store if so desired.

wrong, any cash shop is a nice way to steal more money from you, you can do whatever, to make it shiny and happy, but in the end is just a ugly thing to make players spend even more with you don't need, also you say it just convenience, it always like in F2P with CS, it just convenience, you don't nedd to pass a month grind to lvl or to get that drop you just buy the xp pot, raise drop or even the damned item you want from the CS, need to upgrade your weapon? no problem you can try the free way, with have like 10% chance to work and spend money and buy the raise chance item who amke it have a 50% chance to work, also to make sure you don't lose your item when you try to forget to buy the protect item in the CS so then even if you fail you don't break your equip.

you can say it not anything to win in the CS and they are not twisting people arm for it. but give it time, I saw game who was P2P go f2p with a full P2W cs, and any game who use the cs is balanced the way they say it would, only game I saw it work was GW, but even so you only buy the box to play anything else is not needed, unless you want a lvl 20 char with all skills unlock without playing the game.

really its a shame anyone who play or work on the MMO genre think  its ok for then do anything like that and even defend anything like that,

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Box cost for game plus any expansions.

Subscrition fees.

Item shop.

2 out of these 3 is fine. People are used to that and usually find it acceptable. 3/3 is not acceptable. Especially with GW2 coming along. Aside from theme/setting and classless charachter desighn, there isnt much else setting this game apart from GW2 in terms of what it has to offer while GW2 has other inovations. And im sorry to say it but Arenanet has an impressive track record while Funcom well, doesnt.

Don't get me wrong. Im actually very interested in TSW. But the inclusion of a cash shop from the start does strike me as overreaching for money. And given how there last release was quickly followed up by funcom stock cash out and bail shenanigans by higher ups within there company during the first month of games release. And that isnt even taking EA into account.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I got a hands on at a Funcom afterhours party during PAX, and  in my opinion TSW is the game that many gamers have been begging for for years now.  First off the game looks amazing, they put a lot of care and feeling into backgrounding, to the point backgrounds can set the emotional mood. The fine details you wouldnt normally think about make you realize just how important they really are and how flawed other games that don't take that time and effort come up short.

Animations are smooth and seemless, but as usual in mmo's running and jumping meh... not sure why running and jumping so hard for animators to get right.

The combat is fast, exciting, and sucks you in. My adrenlin peaked many times during fights and  I found myself trying phsically mirror my avatar in combat.

The skills and abilities system is so beyond anything anyone has ever done before that it truly feels like we finally have a next generation mmo in the making. The total custimization gives you a sense of complete individuality, which in turn gives the player an amazing attachment and immersion into their character.

Now granted I haven't ( YET ) managed to play or test everything slated to release 2012, but imo at this time, TSW clearly has my vote for game of the year 2012.

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

I think that skepticism is healthy, it keeps games companies on their toes.  We the players are the consumers we expect a product that delivers.  if I buy a pair of shoes and the heel break first time I wear them I can take them back to the store and get my money back or get a new pair, as a gamer I cannot get my money back if the game is bugged to all heck or does not live up to what I believe I was promised, thus it is very much down to the developers to make as polished a game from the get go.

That said I am actually pretty excited about this title, not least that I need something new to whet my MMO-jaded palette.  TSW at least provides me with a fresh setting, genre, challenge and with luck some new innovations.  Could it go wrong?  Of course it could, but then so can any new release and I will not be avoiding new games just because they MIGHT go wrong.  If many choose not to play that is fine as well it will mean that launch will not get jammed up with the inevitable rush.  I suspect that is we all hope for the best be aware that we might get the worst and at least keep an open mind then with luck their will be less hysteria.  To those that say that they have not heard much about the gameplay etc. well I suspect that between now and release we shall see much more.  And for those that want to wait to hear from those of us that will inevitably go in at launch, I respect that view, and hopefully you will want join us once you hear how we advance party get on.

Walk in the Light

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Personally I like the idea behind TSW but will not buy it until after launch simply because it's by Funcom. I wont be burned twice by them and will wait for proper reviews to filter through.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

It's a C-O-N-spiracy! Game must stink if a reviewer said it's good!

/boggle

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Originally posted by fenistil

Big enough for both this titles? Sure.

TSW is disqualified for me though.

Why?

Douple Dipping business model.

If they charge for box and subscription I expect no cash shops , rmt & microtransactions.

They do plan do have cash shop that will make ~ 35% of sub amount of money.

so thanks but no thanks

kkthxbye

I agree.

There are too many games to look forward to than to be nickel & dimed to death by a model like this.

No one "loves" the model but it is what it is.  Its not going change for you guys so either you'll play the game "as is" or you won't.  If you won't no point in rehashing this tired old issue.  My guess is most of you tha "won't play" because of the model ... actually will in the end as the cash store wont have any impact on game play (atleast if they are honest about things)  

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

blah blah blah, so much moaning and groaning about hte cash shop and having to buy the game AND having to pay a sub,...i atually welcome the reduced box price, and its not like you HAVE to buy things from the store, i have dropped 30 bucks extra a month if the item they are selling is worth it, Champions online ,City of heros/villains,everquest 2,WoW, all ofthese games have item shops and subsand or options of F2P or subs, its about options, and most of the stuff you buy in these item shops can be gained in game, its not like we are looking at another allods,..all you have to do is look at what AoC is selling (which i do not know) to get an idea of what you will see in TSW, i for one think(opinion) that this game will be awesome and i am ready to fork over a lifetime sub,and hopefully will not have to buy anything, like champions online does for there lifers and yways my verdict is    WONDEROUS!!!!

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I think GW2 is going to beat them with the launch, and that's going to be VERY troublesome for this title.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by mmoDAD

The whole "aesthetic only is okay" thing is total bullshit.

People play games for a variety of reasons. Why should someone who wants to look the best aesthetically have to pay more than an adventurer who wants the best gear?

So after I purchase the following:

+$50-$60 for game...

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

+$15 per month

....I still have to pay extra for a nice looking cape or cloak?

I'm done with this nickel & diming model. I will not participate. Funcom, IMO, is now in the same bag as Cryptic.

after playing that amount of months you probably already have the cosmetic itens, since funcom said you can obtain all cosmetic in the cash shop, by just playing the game...

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by fony

haven't seen nearly enough of this game to be excited or judge it one way or the other. half of the little i have seen is not good.

same here. All this tight control on actual gameplay has me worried now. I was excited about this game but now it's starting to feel all too familiar.

As opposed to the tight control Guild Wars 2 has over class customization?  TSW looks far more interesting to me than GW2 does, to be honest.  Yeah, some things worry me (Funcom), but the modern day setting and the ability to create exactly the type of class you want at any time is very appealing.  In terms of class customization, TSW is on one end of the spectrum, and GW2 is on the other.  

I hope Funcom doesn't screw this up, because TSW does look like the most promising game of 2012.  

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56

"The Secret World is one of those games that players are overjoyed about or cautiously optimistic about or simply downright pessimistic all the way 'round."

I have one comment.  basically this says that people feel what, every way possible about the game.  So?  What game's pending launch doesn't have people that are either excited, somewhat interested or negative about it?  Talk about speaking meaningless jibberish.  It's silly to point this out about this game since the same things could have been said about SWTOR pre-launch.  There were people on all sides of the fence, and on top of it too.  Meh.  Nothing to see here folks. 

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by fony

haven't seen nearly enough of this game to be excited or judge it one way or the other. half of the little i have seen is not good.

same here. All this tight control on actual gameplay has me worried now. I was excited about this game but now it's starting to feel all too familiar.

As opposed to the tight control Guild Wars 2 has over class customization?  TSW looks far more interesting to me than GW2 does, to be honest.  Yeah, some things worry me (Funcom), but the modern day setting and the ability to create exactly the type of class you want at any time is very appealing.  In terms of class customization, TSW is on one end of the spectrum, and GW2 is on the other.  

I hope Funcom doesn't screw this up, because TSW does look like the most promising game of 2012.  

You can do the same in GW2. Your Gaurdian can be Tank/DD/Healer/CC. I wonder if this is true for the Ranger? >< HAHA

Anybody care to claim that the ranger in GW2 can tank/DD/Healer/CC?

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

In my humble and not so worthy opinion adding a cash shop on top of box price and subscription fee is like meeting a hot girl who is into you but she has a cold sore.

What to do?

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

If they keep delaying the game over and over then I'll start to worry because they'll be following in AOC's footsteps.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by heavyhebrew

In my humble and not so worthy opinion adding a cash shop on top of box price and subscription fee is like meeting a hot girl who is into you but she has a cold sore.

What to do?

FFXI, WoW have cash shop.... IDK why you guys complaning?

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Nevron

I have two concerns about the game. First, it's Funcom, but you touched on that. You give them more credit for learning growth in the past four years than I do. Yes, they may have 'fixed' AoC to a degree, but the most telling part of that whole AoC fiasco was the amount of polish they put into Tortage and then to make that the beta preview before launch, knowing full well that rest of the game wasn't nearly as polished and outright unfinished. It was essentially a bait and switch.

Second, now we come to TSW, and I'm a huge fan of world PvP. After they scrapped their world PvP idea and their emphasis on instanced PvP for the benefit of story, I feel that they're a little flaky on their direction. As far as instanced PvP and story goes, it may be a fun game, and that may be enough to warrant getting it. I'm not going to conclude one way or another until after it's released. With WvW in GW2 I won't necessarily need world PvP in TSW, but I don't know if the rest of the game will be appealing enough to draw me in.

you know theres no world pvp in gw2 right? and you know TSW has a 24/7 persistant 3 faction warzone, right? 

I've got the straight edge.

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

"It’s not a niche game by any stretch. It will have broad appeal, particularly to those who want something other than elves and dragons and high fantasy."

I think i agree with this, actually.  After having originally thought of TSW as appealing more to a niche market, I'm starting to think it will have broad appeal as said in the ariticle.  How well this game does~especially in the early going~I think comes down to 1) execution on Funcom's part, 2) competition from other titles, and 3) their handling of the cash shop (i.e. will it actually be all fluff stuffs).

"The Secret World is being billed as the “thinking man’s MMO”"

This is good and bad for me.  On the one hand, this is a welcome change from the lack of depth and the mindlessness seen in so many other games.  And I think the overall community in TSW is going to be a helpful and mature one, and that's a good thing.  On the other hand, sometimes I want nothing more than eye-kandy infused mindless MMO kick-butt action without having to problem solve.  So bleh.  If either TERA or this was launching F2P then I'd sub to the other and probably play both for a while, but I'm not doing two subs at the same time.

pie.

• LhelLhel Member Posts: 9

A reasonable story, some thoughts on if the world is ready is warranted. From some comments here I am glad to see less people starting it. too bad about the reasons, but each need to make their excuses to play or not play.

When it comes to the cash-shop, many games have them, WoW has one, Guild Wars has one, GW2 will have one. As well it should be mentioned you have get the exact same items using ingame money as mentioned in several articles. So in effect, the cash-shop means nothing to any actual player wanting to enjoy the game.

If you're looking to make some idiotic excuse to not play I'm sure it will do for an excuse however. Your loss.

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by Nevron

I have two concerns about the game. First, it's Funcom, but you touched on that. You give them more credit for learning growth in the past four years than I do. Yes, they may have 'fixed' AoC to a degree, but the most telling part of that whole AoC fiasco was the amount of polish they put into Tortage and then to make that the beta preview before launch, knowing full well that rest of the game wasn't nearly as polished and outright unfinished. It was essentially a bait and switch.

Second, now we come to TSW, and I'm a huge fan of world PvP. After they scrapped their world PvP idea and their emphasis on instanced PvP for the benefit of story, I feel that they're a little flaky on their direction. As far as instanced PvP and story goes, it may be a fun game, and that may be enough to warrant getting it. I'm not going to conclude one way or another until after it's released. With WvW in GW2 I won't necessarily need world PvP in TSW, but I don't know if the rest of the game will be appealing enough to draw me in.

you know theres no world pvp in gw2 right? and you know TSW has a 24/7 persistant 3 faction warzone, right? 

GW2 has 24/7 world vs world warzones 4 diff map and battle grounds.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by fenistil

Big enough for both this titles? Sure.

TSW is disqualified for me though.

Why?

Douple Dipping business model.

If they charge for box and subscription I expect no cash shops , rmt & microtransactions.

They do plan do have cash shop that will make ~ 35% of sub amount of money.

so thanks but no thanks

kkthxbye

I have to agree with you here. This is just thier way to do a fast money grab before they start losing subs. I won't even try this game. I thought about it and yea it might actually be good. But Funcom time and time again cannot make a good MMO. It will release with a bunch of bugs just like AoC. This could be a title that can help Funcom redeem themselves but I am still skeptical. Heck I bought a CE AoC and the CE box is being used to prop up a computer monitor. That is the best thing I got out of Funcom with AoC was that box for my monitor!