Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How could you not want to play Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Sideras

Originally posted by Coldices

1. The hype

2. The progression cap

3. They want PvP to be an e-sport (IN A F#$N MMO)

4. The PvP, instead of being Red vs Blue, is now Red vs Blue vs Yellow (OMG WHAT INNOVATION).

5. It has instant gratification

6. Personal reason: I don't like PvE aimed games. I want FFA PvP where I can team up with my friends/guild and kill others.

Sounds like you never played DAoC. e-sport is great, they had that in GW1, no reason to turn their backs on it, besides it won't get in the way of a low life ganker such as you. p.s your avatar is kinda queer.

E-sport is great, but that is what FPS games are for.  I tend to play FPS games for my e-sport itch, and I play MMO's for the sense of building and growing my character and seeing him improve in PVP as my character improves.  With an auto-scaling feature I probably will play GW2 kind of like I play my FPSers:  play for a month or two until the instances get boring and then move on to the next FPSer.

With no motivation to keep playing GW2 in terms of character development I'm not sure what will keep me coming back.  The e-sport may be fun but I doubt it will be as good as an FPS in terms of player skill.  It is still a tab target game for the most part...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Ishoa

Oh I'm sick of being burned for sure as well. Also, I didnt say people who didnt agree with me are 'ignorant.' I said that people who automatically disqualify a game and a genre they like to play without even trying it just because its a sequel maybe need to rethink or do some more searching. Sorry if that want clear. On a similiar note I totally ruled out SWTOR before it released as well. Friends played it so I did some searching and decided to get it. Do I currently play it? No. Do I regret buying it and trying it out? No again. I had some fun times, put in a good number of hours, and felt I got my moneys worth and maybe its something I'll return to who knows. There are going to be people who flat out don't like it and I know that, I guess that isnt really my point. But again sorry if what i said wasn't clear but I never said people who don't agree with me are ignorant.

Fair enough. I think I just got that "vibe" because it was posted on these forums lol. As we all know on these forums if its not thier opinion its wrong.

I think what I was trying to point out is there are plenty of reasons to not want to play GW2. Some reasonable some not. It took me a long time to get a buddy to even look at anything involving GW2. He absolutly hated GW1 so he assumed GW2 would be crap. We had been playing mmo's togeather since Asherons Call. After the press weekend though he did watch some of thoes video's and now he wont shut up about it lol.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Vegetto

There is no way in hell any game could match the amount of hype this is recieving, therefore i'm giving it 2 months from release to read some reviews based on playing it.

This is my main reason for not wanting to play (yet). I've been through numerous betas and launches in MMOs and the absolute worst are the ones touted as the next big thing- not because of the game but the players. I'd much rather wait 2-3 months after launch once the biggest bugs are fixed and those players that buy the game completely because of hype leave. Always seems like a couple of months after release about half the population of lunatics and asshats go away.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Question: Why do people have reservations about GW2?

Answer = Because they keep comparing it to Guildwars.

The 2 games are different genres,  Guildwars is a CORPG.  Guildwars 2 is an MMO.

I'm begining to think that maybe Anet should of called GW2 something completely different, stop all this ignorant comparisons.

Ah, so maybe people are concerned then that this will be ANET's first real attempt at a  MMORPG using some previously untested conventions and perhaps don't have the experience and vision to pull off a succesful game, particularly in light at how far short GW1 was from the target mark?

Or perhaps as is so often the case, they are overly focused on what GW2 isn't instead of being more like the OP on what it is?  While the title has everything the OP states, there's a few things we know it lacks, such as mounts/mounted combat, sandbox style gameplay design, holy trinity game mechanics (some folks actually like playing a dedicated healer/tank you know), meaningful (meaning punititve) death penalties, ability to build/defend your own castle/keep etc.)

Now me, I'm taking a different approach these days, I'm focusing on enjoying what a new title brings to the genre and putting aside what it is lacking from my ideal MMORPG (because likely that game is never going to be built) so I manage to find fun in most titles for a time. (currently enjoying SWTOR while I wait for GW2)

edit: btw, anytime you resort to namecalling in your post you've lost your argument.

Name calling?  people calling guildwars an MMO and people thinking its the same or similar to guildwars is nothing short of being ignorant.  Guildwars as a CORPG and a standalone product is actually very good and very successful and still has a strong playerbase.  Not to everyones taste I admit, but WoW, Rift, Eve, and any other MMO you care to mention isnt to everyones taste.  Critisise GW2 for what it is that is fair game, but shouldnt be compared to the original GW.  People saying they dont like GW2 because they didnt like the original title just goes to show how much they bothered to look at the game features.  Some people in other threads have said it looks like WoW, now you go and figure that one out.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by Vesavius

There is no way in hell any game could match the amount of hype this is recieving, therefore i'm giving it 2 months from release to read some reviews based on playing it.

Skyrim recieved FAR more industry hype then this game, which is mainly talked about by excited players that have seen the demo vids and read about the systems (which isn't 'hype' really in the way most mean it).
    Most of the people playing that game would agree that it met their expectations, and probably a lot would say it exceeded them. It DOES happen... it just dosen't usually happen with MMORPGs. GW2 could easily be the game that it does though.
    No way you say? I disagree.

Although, going on part trends, it would be sensible to treat religious hype with skepticism. For some bizarre reason, i couldn't get into Skyrim, i think i just miss the MMO features.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Name calling?  people calling guildwars an MMO and people thinking its the same or similar to guildwars is nothing short of being ignorant.  Guildwars as a CORPG and a standalone product is actually very good and very successful and still has a strong playerbase.  Not to everyones taste I admit, but WoW, Rift, Eve, and any other MMO you care to mention isnt to everyones taste.  Critisise GW2 for what it is that is fair game, but shouldnt be compared to the original GW.  People saying they dont like GW2 because they didnt like the original title just goes to show how much they bothered to look at the game features.  Some people in other threads have said it looks like WoW, now you go and figure that one out.

You can't have a cake and eat it too.

GW2 will have to accept it has the words GUILD WARS in its title and the good / bad that comes with it.

Is it fair? Who cares, it is what it is.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by pierth

This is my main reason for not wanting to play (yet). I've been through numerous betas and launches in MMOs and the absolute worst are the ones touted as the next big thing- not because of the game but the players. I'd much rather wait 2-3 months after launch once the biggest bugs are fixed and those players that buy the game completely because of hype leave. Always seems like a couple of months after release about half the population of lunatics and asshats go away.

I think SWTOR followed this pattern perfectly. I think the solid reviews come after 2 months and the realistic population around 3 months (free month + 60 day Timecards).

Of course, it's hard not to play from day 1, but i think i want to avoid games with the treadmill now anyway, so i don't mind waiting.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Vesavius

Skyrim recieved FAR more industry hype then this game, which is mainly talked about by excited players that have seen the demo vids and read about the systems (which isn't 'hype' really in the way most mean it).

Most of the people playing that game would agree that it met their expectations, and probably a lot would say it exceeded them. It DOES happen... it just dosen't usually happen with MMORPGs. GW2 could easily be the game that it does though.

No way you say? I disagree.

Although, going on part trends, it would be sensible to treat religious hype with skepticism. For some bizarre reason, i couldn't get into Skyrim, i think i just miss the MMO features.

Yeah, I do get that Skyrim wasn't for everyone :)

Just as GW2 won't be, which is fine.

But for the first time in a long time I feel a themepark MMORPG dev gets it... that they have looked at the core issues and all the barriers to play and made moves to remove them.

The only element I feel nervous about is the technical launch side of things... though even that they have taken steps to make a more pleseant experience with the overflow server mechanic it seems.

We shall see :)

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by cruzadoh

easy, only 10 skills + high cooldowns = boring classes

thats ur fault for choosing all high cooldown skills.

fail sauce is fail.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by pierth

I think SWTOR followed this pattern perfectly. I think the solid reviews come after 2 months and the realistic population around 3 months (free month + 60 day Timecards).

Of course, it's hard not to play from day 1, but i think i want to avoid games with the treadmill now anyway, so i don't mind waiting.

I definitely understand the urge to play as soon as the game is legitimately available, but the way I see it is the time I spend in game makes the memories I'll have of that game- good or bad- and if waiting a couple of months means a better chance at a better experience then I'm all for it. Of course, I also have multiple games I play (online and offline) so waiting a bit isn't that big a deal. On top of that, aside from some MMOs where you get credited with server first whatever (which means nothing to me) I haven't played one yet where I was seriously left behind or at a gamebreaking disadvantage because I didn't play from day one.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360

Originally posted by cruzadoh

easy, only 10 skills + high cooldowns = boring classes

u can change weapons with a button in combat , that doubles the skills

plus some class get new skills on some situations (elementalist changing attunement) , necro morphing into lich...ect

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

It´s easy its a themepark mmorpg with loading screens not a true open world. It has no open world pvp and crafting is ass. If you like wow gw2 is probably the right way if you like sandbox games gw2 aint for you.

• ColdicesColdices Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by Coldices

1. The hype

2. The progression cap

3. They want PvP to be an e-sport (IN A F#$N MMO)

4. The PvP, instead of being Red vs Blue, is now Red vs Blue vs Yellow (OMG WHAT INNOVATION).

5. It has instant gratification

6. Personal reason: I don't like PvE aimed games. I want FFA PvP where I can team up with my friends/guild and kill others.

1. All big games have hype, you don't play big games?

2. ok

3. that's 1/3 of the game

4. it's an old idea that worked and hadn't been implemented well since DAOC. What's your problem?

5. not really

6. how is it a PvE aimed games when 2/3 of the game are PvP oriented?

1. Because of the hype, the personality of the fanboys of GW2 annoy me so much to the point I dont want to play the game.

2. -

3. 1/3 is a major part of a game. And bringin in E-sports will draw even MORE fps-crowd to the MMORPG genre and therefor making the genre even worse then it is now.

4. Because it will turn PvP to something like: Hey! that guy is red so he must be me enemy! KILL THE REDS. It will be PvP not   because they really are your enemy but because the game forces you to make them your enemy...I dont want this in MMO's. In FPS its alright. Sorry its hard to explain this part but I hope you know what I'm getting at. Look at darkfall for example... 

5. ? 

6. They are hyping the dynamic events up so much that I had the impression that it is the main feature (PvE) maybe I'm wrong with that...

Anyway... I think GW2 will be a good GAME but not so much a good MMO.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Otomox

It´s easy its a themepark mmorpg with loading screens not a true open world. It has no open world pvp and crafting is ass. If you like wow gw2 is probably the right way if you like sandbox games gw2 aint for you.

I'll take this over your typical Open Gank PvP and I doubt the WoW players that cherish the Holy Trinity and Endgame gear progression would enjoy it much either.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I haven't been following GW2 until a few days ago myself and I'm glad for that because being hyped for a game a long time isn't enjoyable imo. The reason I haven't even bothered to check out the game before is because GW1 really wasn't my type of game and I am very sceptic of any asian MMO, since they tend to be boring grindfests.

I actually stumbled on some beta videos of GW2 a few days ago by accident and it looks really impressive, nothing like the previous asian MMO's I've played from what I can tell so far. I believe they have done themselves a disservice by naming it GW2 since many people probably think as I did that it's similar to GW1 and don't even check it out.

I'm not going to get overly hyped for any MMO ever again, didn't fall for the SWTOR pre-launch hype, GW2 looks very promising though and it's definitely ontop of my list of games to keep an eye on now.

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Jostle

In short, I don't want to play Guild Wars 2 because I enjoy healing in an open-PvP environment with persistent enemies in a persistent world, and have allies and enemies that aren't arbitrary. It does have some neat ideas, but really, not being able to be a dedicated healer sort of kills it for me. Believe it or not, some people enjoy healing.

The only sensible and honest response to such a long post. Well said sir you have made more sense that all other people put together. These honest responses that come far and few in between are the ones that get respect.

If you like healing i am guessing you like to play a good support and not be bothered in all the killing and DPS business. You can also look up how support is designed in this game. Its is not like click on bar and press heal but a support played in a different way, block other targets, shield a zone, drop healing turret, slow enemies attack, all support and in a way a indirect heal. I can apreciate the fact that you wont like this play style, but then this game is surely not for you :) and i agree with you totally. This game is not for everyone and that doesnt make them right or wrong. Each to their own.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Wise decision not to get sucked into the hype. But you do realize that GW2 isn't an Asian game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Different people like different things. There is not and never will be a game that appeals to everyone.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I haven't played a MMO in years and if there is one who could get me playing again this would be it.

I'm going to read a lot about this game once it's released and make up my mind from there. Still not paying full price though, perhaps wait for a free trail.

One of the reasons I wouldn't be interested in this game is the lack of a sandbox player driven economy.

AKA no player run shops and also no housing.

These things are important to me because you can make up your own goals with feautures like that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

how could i not want to play? simple.i will have lotro ,tera,and tsw+vanguard if f2p..that'll be me covered for the next 5 yrs easy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

This is a response to the ignorance from people in this thread and isn't directed toward the op...

argument 1: the game footage was manipulated so you couldn't see the whole game.

Of course you can't see the whole game but the hours and hours and hours of footage LONG before the press release beta started speaks for itself, it has many examples of not 1 meta/dynamic event it has a multitude of examples of the DE system the ui the professions the rewards the game in major cities, all you have to do is go look on youtube, if you haven't then you are at fault and should not be putting your narrow view into an ignorant statement like "it's a conspiracy to keep you from knowing how the game will actually be at launch"

argument 2: I hated the first one.

Five minutes watching a video will show you it's nothing like the first one and five minutes reading the list of features in this very post will show you that all the bad things they had in the first one won't be in this one.

argument 3: I don't like the hype.

This is the most funniest of all arguments because i've clicked on a good number of people's names to check out their posts and apparently the vast majority that don't like hype about GW2 are perfectly able to jump on the hypewagon about TERA. Makes you wonder don't it. Are they trying to be like the highschool kids and form their own non-conformist niche even tho they will be conforming after all?

argument 4: crafting is bad in this game.

Aside from the fact that crafting really hasn't been touched on in depth (and believe me i get as much info on everything about this game as i possibly can everyday) it amazes me that people post things like this without any knowledge about what they are saying. The second amazing thing is this, just because you can no longer corner the market in items in the AH doesn't make crafting bad it just eliminates one of the other issues with these games, gold farmers. and no one likes those people i don't care who you are.

argument 5: I'm waiting on reviews after launch.

Because we all know that reviews from websites are always accurate. Might i remind you of how bad SWTOR was at launch and how only two websites were honest about the review of the game with all it's flaws or has everyone forgotten the 9/10 on everything even tho this game is a themepark with heavy railing and hardly any of the features this type of mmo is supposed to have? I know i know, they'll patch it I've heard that one before. 

I find it funny how people tend to react after a game was released that destroyed everyone's expectations.

I'm cautious but I tend to make darned sure I'm well informed to make my own decision being burned once on a purchase of an mmo was enough for me to be like this.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Bunks

Wise decision not to get sucked into the hype. But you do realize that GW2 isn't an Asian game.

I think people may make that assumption because of pokemon-looking characters like the Asura.  I personally wish they went for a grittier style but gameplay is way more important...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062

I'll get GW2 eventually, possibly on release day if TSW turns out not to hold my interest, but I'm not excited at all about GW2.

1. I'm the type of person that needs to get excited about the lore and the world I'll be playing in. GW1 introduced us to the world and lore, and I didn't find it that interesting. Pretty run of the mill fantasy stuff.

2. I haven't heard anything about the game actually being challenging, with puzzles to solve and traps that can hinder or kill you the way TSW sounds like it'll have. I'm not sure how difficult a like-lvled mob will be against our character. If they aren't challenging, it won't matter how diverse the content is, I'll still get bored.

3. The holy trinity may not be there in the traditional sense, but it's still there. What if you invite 4 people into your group and no one likes to play a tank or healer, how will things turn out? It's hard to find a tank and healer in MMORPG's for a good reason, because most people prefer playing DPS.

4. The GW2 community so far has left a lot to be desired. When reading the TOR forums for interesting discussion on the game I was playing, you always had GW2 fans trashing it and the fans of TOR.

5. I hated underwater combat in DAOC. I'm just not a fan of fighting in an environment where you have to watch not only your front and back, but up and down too.

6. None of the classes interest me. In GW1, I enjoyed playing a Warrior/Elementalist and a Warrior/Necro. I also enjoyed the War/Mo, but I've played Paladin-like classes for a decade now and want to play a spellsword type of character. Most MMORPG's don't have them or don't implement them to my liking.

7. TSW is releasing before GW2, and close enough to GW2 that I'll likely not pick GW2 up for a while, if at all. TSW promises a skill deck system, which is better IMHO than GW2's class-based system. They're also promising an intellectually challenging game, something that GW2 hasn't said anything about yet. I'm not tooting my own horn, but I'm a college graduate, in my 30's, and I'm pretty smart, so for a game to hold my interest for very long, it needs to not only challenge me in combat skills, but also intellectually.

8. I don't get excited about the Dynamic Events, because WAR and Rift both had them and people ingored that feature in both after becoming bored with it. They also became predictable and repetitive. However, I do like them better than mob grinding or quest grinding, and I like how you're quasi-grouped for them.