Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My TERA short story from this weekend...

Comments

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Good read OP,

I played K-TERA for a month, It was really refreshing. The pvp was just amazing, very skill dependent.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I was up on the hill above the SM entrance.  Down below I could see a cluster of about 20 players waiting to do the instance run.  20meters in front of them was a group of 8 outlaws trying to lure the 20 into pvp.  Heavly outnumbered but still they would not take the bait until one outlaw agro'ed a bam spider and made a dash to the cluster of players.  All hell broke out as soon as the bam started wrecking the entrance and people started to scatter and the 8 outlaws promply pounced on them.

It was fun to watch up in my cozy nest ^^

/ Jagged Coast

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by MassiveRodge

I know the feeling but it seems like you was lucky. The scaling problem of damage is something extremely faulty. I can't really explains the details but the basics are that you recieve damage scaling depending on how much higher your lvl is compared to the enemy.

It may sound great for PVE but the fact that it affects PVP is quite gamebreaking since I personally don't view 2-shotting a guy 10 levels lower than you as pvp. 

I don't really know what themepark MMO doesn't have people 10 levels lower being one shot...it wouldn't make sense for them not to be. Just the gear difference is enough. A geared 85 in WoW can two shot an 83.

• RodgeVRodgeV Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I know the feeling but it seems like you was lucky. The scaling problem of damage is something extremely faulty. I can't really explains the details but the basics are that you recieve damage scaling depending on how much higher your lvl is compared to the enemy.

It may sound great for PVE but the fact that it affects PVP is quite gamebreaking since I personally don't view 2-shotting a guy 10 levels lower than you as pvp. 

I don't really know what themepark MMO doesn't have people 10 levels lower being one shot...it wouldn't make sense for them not to be. Just the gear difference is enough. A geared 85 in WoW can two shot an 83.

Exactly. If the gear difference is well enough then why does the scaling ability even exist?

Also OW PVP is pretty much non-existant in WoW nowadays and I don't see players camping beginner areas in WoW.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Exactly. If the gear difference is well enough then why does the scaling ability even exist?...

Its all in the wow-doctrine: The char with the highest "played time" should be the strongest.

This motivates players to play even more to get "ahead". It also enables low skilled players to somehow get kills. Imagine lvl 60s getting owned by lvl 40s. They would quit straight away because they are told how bad they are to the face. With the level scaling you give them virtual strength to compensate. This doctrine is the reason we have the masses of today in MMOs.

Make a game skill-depended / realistic / harsh and you have a niche game.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• poweruopoweruo Member UncommonPosts: 31

Ive tried the beta for 1 weekend. Must say i cant see what all the noise is about. The game is pretty and it ran very well on my mediocre system but the art style itself is to eastern for me. Also the combat system didnt seem that different except you look at the target instead of tab targeting. Move your abilities from the mouse keybind to 1 through 5 and it play very much like any other.

Ofcourse this is from a low level view. I do think that the combat is a step in the right direction.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Skill in this game is to set apart people with in the same lvl range. Ofc if you go far off the lvl range your not going to win unless the person your fighting is completely stupid. If a lvl 40 can beat a lvl 60 (and lvl 60 isn't a complete retard) there won't be point of lvling up any more. Skill still exist but its for closer lvl to help close gap between armor, not wide lvl caps.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

After playing Tera in the latest closed beta for whole day, I must say this game looks amazing. Combat is based on holy trinity, but its hack'n'slash/fps/action dodging feel makes it very engaging and fun. Races are very interesting, there's something for each taste except for those who like ugly races. Lots of classes.

Photo galery I made during my gameplay: http://imageshack.us/g/69/terascreenshot201202261.png/

This my pros/cons for my first impression. Notice: I don't know anything about this game. This is score for my first 15 levels of gameplay / my 1st time with the game.

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Mobs have various attack mechanics

+ Combat promotes skillful play, not just stats (you can almost never get hit by mob if you play good)

+ Epic bosses

+ Cool transition between zones (warp + flying on the pegasus)

+ Mount is acquired quite early (lv 10)

Cons:

- All races have the same starting zone

- All races have the same quests/story (as far as I could tell)

- Still using holy trinity format

- Same boring grind quests - kill 10 piglets (90% of them), the other 10% are delivery quests and you will never read dialogues (this goes for the first 3 zones -> starting, velika and lumbertown, I never got further than that)

- No distinction between players playing the same class - same builds/same skills, only different gear/race

- Class use only one weapon

SCORE: 7.5/10 for the first impression

In summary: this game's main attributes are graphics, action combat and boss fights, everything else is the same old. However, I heard about politics system which could be awesome, I've never experienced it so I left it out this short review.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by deathlylink

Originally posted by Sovrath

I have to say that my pvp experience wasn't so exciting but did learn that I love pvping on a Lancer. Me and a Slayer kept wackign at each other until we both had a small amount left.

In the end I was the victor and it solidified that I could at least pvp on the thing.

Hope Lancers can kill other players as well or else it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Lancers are the best pvpers in group in my opinion (since this is a group based pvp game shouldn't be a problem. A priest and I (a decent skilled warrior) lost to a lancer priest combo. Super fun PvP game. Always got annoyed that I got ganked to hell in lumbertown but after that it was pretty smooth with some groups running at times.

Thanks, good to know.

I got a warrior up to 13 on the pvp server but it was a too little too late as it was Sunday.

I'm still not 100 percent clear on the pvp server rules.

It states that one must declare Rogue in order to attack and be attacked. Which makes sense. However, that would mean that if one didn't then they are invulnerable?

Which then makes no sense because there were people complaining about being ganked by the bridge. Which begs the question: why were they complaining? Just take Rogue status off.

I must be missing something.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Can slayer do backflips and dash?

I thought they only had jumping forward dodge roll.

hmmm

I find TERA's combat a bit laggy and slower paced than DCUO. Maybe because Im in Australia, but Im not fond of anything else other than the combat, which I can get it in DCUO. Also DCUO has voiceover quests :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

My opinion:

This game'll be awesome PvP-wise if you hop on early.  Late and it'll be another gank fest.

Game does look pretty but big groups shutter pretty bad.

Skill plays a bigger role but I don't think its different enough.

Quests blow.  I didn't seem to find anything that was impressive.

Crafting was same ol'.

Some of the politics/standing is interesting.  I lost interest prior to dealing with that.

I can-x'd my preorder.  Nothing I hadn't already seen.  For a game already out for a year, it still has some worrisome bugs that leaves me questioing.  These betas, I would have thought, should have been mostly localization things.  Not gameplay related.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Glad some of you enjoyed it. To answer Sovrath's question, on PvP servers you can attack and be attacked by people who have gone red regardless if you have or not. As in, the only people who -won't- damage each other are those whose names are both white. Also there is no player damage in major towns except for duels.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

haaha my story went something like this.

Epicly fighting a mob to turn in for quest.....one shot killed by some guy 8-10 levels over me :D

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by thedarkess

After playing Tera in the latest closed beta for whole day, I must say this game looks amazing. Combat is based on holy trinity, but its hack'n'slash/fps/action dodging feel makes it very engaging and fun. Races are very interesting, there's something for each taste except for those who like ugly races. Lots of classes.

Photo galery I made during my gameplay: http://imageshack.us/g/69/terascreenshot201202261.png/

This my pros/cons for my first impression. Notice: I don't know anything about this game. This is score for my first 15 levels of gameplay / my 1st time with the game.

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Combat promotes skillful play, not just stats (you can almost never get hit by mob if you play good)

+ Epic bosses

Cons:

- Same boring grind quests - kill 10 piglets (90% of them), the other 10% are delivery quests and you will never read dialogues (this goes for the first 3 zones -> starting, velika and lumbertown, I never got further than that)

- No distinction between players playing the same class - same builds/same skills, only different gear/race

In summary: this game's main attributes are graphics, action combat and boss fights, everything else is the same old. However, I heard about politics system which could be awesome, I've never experienced it so I left it out this short review.

By lvl 20 you get glyph which let you customize your skill more, so even teh same class can be very different depending on their glyh and also their crystal.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Inf666

Exactly. If the gear difference is well enough then why does the scaling ability even exist?...

Its all in the wow-doctrine: The char with the highest "played time" should be the strongest.

This motivates players to play even more to get "ahead". It also enables low skilled players to somehow get kills. Imagine lvl 60s getting owned by lvl 40s. They would quit straight away because they are told how bad they are to the face. With the level scaling you give them virtual strength to compensate. This doctrine is the reason we have the masses of today in MMOs.

Make a game skill-depended / realistic / harsh and you have a niche game.

Exactamundo!

This is why we've always had a seperation of combat styles in the genres.  RPG's are where the slower paced more tactical type players flocked while FPS kept their adrenaline junkies with their twitch mechanics.  Mixing them up is not going to get any better results than mixing up hardcore / casual content in the same game.  Pitting competing play styles into a single game has never worked well before, not sure why they think they'll work well now.  Have the balls to make a solid MMOFPS or MMORPG and stop trying to hyrbridize them, it's just going to turn off all but a niche number of people.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Epic bosses

Cons:

By lvl 20 you get glyph which let you customize your skill more, so even teh same class can be very different depending on their glyh and also their crystal.

Thats good. Something like traits in gw2 i guess.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by deathlylink

I have to say that my pvp experience wasn't so exciting but did learn that I love pvping on a Lancer. Me and a Slayer kept wackign at each other until we both had a small amount left.

In the end I was the victor and it solidified that I could at least pvp on the thing.

Hope Lancers can kill other players as well or else it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Lancers are the best pvpers in group in my opinion (since this is a group based pvp game shouldn't be a problem. A priest and I (a decent skilled warrior) lost to a lancer priest combo. Super fun PvP game. Always got annoyed that I got ganked to hell in lumbertown but after that it was pretty smooth with some groups running at times.

Thanks, good to know.

I got a warrior up to 13 on the pvp server but it was a too little too late as it was Sunday.

I'm still not 100 percent clear on the pvp server rules.

It states that one must declare Rogue in order to attack and be attacked. Which makes sense. However, that would mean that if one didn't then they are invulnerable?

Which then makes no sense because there were people complaining about being ganked by the bridge. Which begs the question: why were they complaining? Just take Rogue status off.

I must be missing something.

Rules go like this:

at lvl 11 you do a quest to get a 'outlaw' move you put on your hotbar, if you click the outlaw button it makes you go into open-pvp mode, that means everyone(bar party members & guildies) is red to you and vica versa. The draw back is the more outlaw you become the harsher the death penalty.

Also Most (not all) quest hubs are safe zones, which have a sort of aura (shows up next to your radar wether your are flagged pvp or in a safe zone area. Only the icon next to radar changings when you move into a safe zone, and the edge usually is about about 10m out from the the edge of town, so you'll find alot of PK's hanging around outside town waiting for people to leave.

Guild vs Guild War decleration also works like outlaw but lasts for 24 hours and only with the other warring guild.

And people who have purple names, that indicates that they are in a guild war with another guild (not yours).

Hope that helps explain pvp rules in TERA.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Epic bosses

Cons:

I concure with the above for me. I would probably have called it a 6/10 though. The Cons seemed pretty significant. I don't believe that on newbie island I had more than 1 or 2 quests that weren't fed-ex or kill X (be it mob or minor boss). The PVE questing was very stale. I wish I had done more PVP to get a feel for it because I did like the combat overall.

The graphics are great (jiggly physics!!!) and the character races are interesting. I played a Popori (sp?) Lancer and enjoyed it for the most part. Not sure if this is worth a pick up for me yet. I will see in another beta round.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

And I'll bet not once did you think about the panther's feelings, did you? DID YOU?!

The panther is the real victim here.

(Good tale, btw. :) )

Oderint, dum metuant.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by Impulse47

This is not a review, but merely an experience I thought I would share from my time spent on one of the PvP servers this weekend.

I was leveling my Slayer (for those unfamiliar, a sword dps class with some minor evasion utilities) not far outside of Lumbertown.  I had just initiated a fight with a panther when out of the corner of my eye I see a quick flash of someone's red name just as they run behind a tree roughly 50 meters away.  My heart leaps, and the excitement brings me back to the days of Darktide.  Do I abandon my fight with the panther and run for safety?  Do I hope and pray that he didn't see me?  Am I outmatched?  Am I outleveled?  I swivel my camera in his direction while fumbling to maintain my concentration on the monster attacking me.  Before I have a chance to make a decision, there he is.  Running right at me with an axe larger than my entire body.  The panther is at about 30% life.  I am at about 60% life.  I pretend I don't see him.  Maybe he thinks I'm not paying attention and that I'm an easy kill.  He stops 4 feet behind me and draws his axe behind him.  It begins to glow.  I am now at 100% concentration.  I can sense his release.  An hour seems to pass in one second.  I flinch.  I dodge with a graceful backflip over his head precisely as his axe slams into the ground where I once stood, killing the panther in its wake.  I land on my feet and sweep my sword low, knocking him off of his feet.  Level no longer matters.  Equipment no longer matters.  I don't bother trying to inspect him.  He is now my prey.  I slice twice quickly at my fallen foe.  Blood flies from my blade and traces lines into the grass.  He jumps to his feet and begins to run toward the same safe area I once thought of running before.  Not today.  I dash and impale my sword into my foe's back.  He falls to his knees.  I have become the PK.

Despite its shortfalls, this is why I will be playing TERA.

Well done sir, great little post!

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

Originally posted by Impulse47

This is not a review, but merely an experience I thought I would share from my time spent on one of the PvP servers this weekend.

I was leveling my Slayer (for those unfamiliar, a sword dps class with some minor evasion utilities) not far outside of Lumbertown.  I had just initiated a fight with a panther when out of the corner of my eye I see a quick flash of someone's red name just as they run behind a tree roughly 50 meters away.  My heart leaps, and the excitement brings me back to the days of Darktide.  Do I abandon my fight with the panther and run for safety?  Do I hope and pray that he didn't see me?  Am I outmatched?  Am I outleveled?  I swivel my camera in his direction while fumbling to maintain my concentration on the monster attacking me.  Before I have a chance to make a decision, there he is.  Running right at me with an axe larger than my entire body.  The panther is at about 30% life.  I am at about 60% life.  I pretend I don't see him.  Maybe he thinks I'm not paying attention and that I'm an easy kill.  He stops 4 feet behind me and draws his axe behind him.  It begins to glow.  I am now at 100% concentration.  I can sense his release.  An hour seems to pass in one second.  I flinch.  I dodge with a graceful backflip over his head precisely as his axe slams into the ground where I once stood, killing the panther in its wake.  I land on my feet and sweep my sword low, knocking him off of his feet.  Level no longer matters.  Equipment no longer matters.  I don't bother trying to inspect him.  He is now my prey.  I slice twice quickly at my fallen foe.  Blood flies from my blade and traces lines into the grass.  He jumps to his feet and begins to run toward the same safe area I once thought of running before.  Not today.  I dash and impale my sword into my foe's back.  He falls to his knees.  I have become the PK.

Despite its shortfalls, this is why I will be playing TERA.

This is cool. Great way to show the combat system is noteworthy game feature. See you in game :)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

This video pretty much sums up how CB2 went and how the outlaw system works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGhMraZ6n0o&feature=related

/good times

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

This is my thoughts pretty much exactly.  However the game is so mind numbingly easy 1-20 that I question how much more skill is actually needed for the combat system.  They really need to work on this because their target audience isnt people that want easier game play.

The crafting sucks too.  I noticed eastern games tend to make crafting something nearly impossible to do as you are leveling (too costly, not wort the effort) and a strictly endgame activity.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by teakbois

This is my thoughts pretty much exactly.  However the game is so mind numbingly easy 1-20 that I question how much more skill is actually needed for the combat system.  They really need to work on this because their target audience isnt people that want easier game play.

The crafting sucks too.  I noticed eastern games tend to make crafting something nearly impossible to do as you are leveling (too costly, not wort the effort) and a strictly endgame activity.

Combat gets much more involved later on. It's easy early on to allow new players to get used to the rythem and simply experiment with what they can do, instead of being punished insanely hard for not being able to read when a monster is going to do what.

After level 30 the difficulty ramps up after the game gave new players some time to get used to it. The level 30 monsters in the last CBT were pretty damn hard already.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Combat gets much more involved later on. It's easy early on to allow new players to get used to the rythem and simply experiment with what they can do, instead of being punished insanely hard for not being able to read when a monster is going to do what.

Everyone says this (assumes this?) but the system just isn't *that* different for all the handholding it does.  Its near impossible to die from 1-10, most MMORPGs if you arent careful and pull a few too many mobs you will die.  1-5 area is fine to be easy, but once you get past the tower base area at the very least the red eye flash abilities should hurt pretty bad.

The reason Im saying this, is the game might lose a lot of players along the way expecting challenging, skillful content and getting that easy snoozefest (maybe berserker is just overpowered?) for the first 20+ hours of play.