Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population rising

Comments

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Can you change your toons name and or appearance in Rift after creation? I have a level 50 rogue who I haven't played since release, but would consider coming back for a minute if these features were available. Shallow reason, I know.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by drakaena

Can you change your toons name and or appearance in Rift after creation? I have a level 50 rogue who I haven't played since release, but would consider coming back for a minute if these features were available. Shallow reason, I know.

you can change your name... well sort of.. all you need to do is make a new char on another transferable server with that same name then transfer your other char to that server and it will prompt you for a name change.. not sure if there is any other way but thats how I did it.. also not sure about appearance change.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Warbs

why is everyone so hostile about it haha

I haven't seen any "hostile" responses, just various hypotheses on the "why" of the matter.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Thanks for the reply Aerowyn. Does anyone know about being able to change your appearance? Like a barber shop type feature. I would ask on the rift forums but I don't have an active account.
  • PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Thanks for the reply Aerowyn. Does anyone know about being able to change your appearance? Like a barber shop type feature. I would ask on the rift forums but I don't have an active account.

No not as of yet. Oddly enough this is like 1 of 4 things I could think of that is odd they never did it yet. They seem to be able to push out stuff other devs have said were just not possible or too time consuming, but a barber shop has not happened yet?

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

The game's solid and everyone who would have left did at this point so the game will more then likely go up now.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Its going to kill WoW this time for sure.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by clankyasp

WoW has lost a million subs in the last year.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Sorry the only thing that will kill WoW, is WoW. then again its doing a very good job of it.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• VaygusVaygus Member Posts: 131

Not entirely sure how the populations on any of the realms were doing, but I myself just came back with my wife and we're both having a blast. Quite pleased with how the game has came along since I stepped away. Not being a rabid fanboy, but it seems they took a little bit of a step away from the standard MMO endgame and branched out a bit horizontally.

Played from launch for a three month span and left due to PC hardware failure and was stuck with nothing but my iMac, which I don't Boot Camp. Needless to say when I purchased a new PC, RIFT was my first choice when stepping back into the MMO genre. Seems quite a bit of others are coming back, as well.

Have had zone events popping all the way up to level 36 so far. No issues finding groups, world PVP, or anything. Plenty of people plowing through rifts and group quests, as well, and I'm on one of the lower populated servers.

• I just came back aswell after the swtor fiasco, and I'm having tons of fun. Also seems to be quite a lot of people playing, pretty much instant queues for everything.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by clankyasp

WoW has lost a million subs in the last year.

WoW lost 10=20% of its subs last year

Rift lost over half (according to MMODATA, so somewhat sketchy numbers)

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Originally posted by Robsolf

Ummm... Rift Lite???

Hell, even I logged in last night just for the halibut.

I played at launch for the first 2 months.  I came back 2 weeks ago and signed on for 3 months sub.  I am in a newly formed guild, most are returning players like me.  but nice try.  also, I hope you have enough sense to know, that a % of the RIFT lite players will come on board as regular active subs. 

But keep thinking that people like you who popped on for a random night here or there are causing permanent spikes in player pops -- cant be that people are ACTUALLY returning to game and enjoying it...like me.

Wow.  defensively hostile, much?

I'm not arguing that Rift "hasn't truly" had its population increase.  LotRO, DDO, DCUO and others have had massive success by making their game more accessible... in both population and revenue.  It would be a pretty bad Omen if there WASN'T a significant pop increase when opening a significant portion of your game for free.

"I hope you have enough sense to know" that. 

Far as all the anti-TOR talk from others since your reply, it appears that many don't.

Let me try it this way.  THE SERVER POPS HAVE LESS TO DO WITH RIFT LITE AND FAR MORE TO DO WITH REGULAR SUB PLAYERS.  hope this helps.

You are posting an opinion, not fact. Like Robsolf, I actually logged back into Rift to check it out due mostly with my unhappiness with SWTOR. For that matter I also logged into STO, AoC, EQII, DDO, WoW, GW and LOTRO. Just doing my roaming around while I ponder my near future diversion until GWII releases. Btw all caps for the win? Really? Makes you come off like one my daughters after a few of those damn energy drinks. In the case of my daughters, I take them less serious, are you wanting to be taken less serious when you post? Robsolf made a valid opinion point, get over it. Step away from the energy drink.

If I play a game for an extended period of time I think it would go without saying I can notice trends in the player pop of said game.  For example, not only have I been noticing a sizeable increase in activity in the capital city (just as one example of player activity in regards to a location), but also that there are LOTS of high level players.  In addition through grouping and chatting and thru my new guild I talked to many, SEVERAL people who said they just re-subbed around time of post SWTOR 1st month and the free weekend promo RIFT ran recently. 

I started playing MMOs in '99 and in each was able to notice trends in the health of playerbase.   Call it Situational Awareness I guess...its like you notice things around you and you are able to come to various conclusions about little things, like if there are MORE OR LESS PLAYERS in the game world.  Open your eyes and your mind and you may notice little things too, like if there are more players then when you played prior.

Oh and just a few other things there kid, my post you referenced WAS NOT ALL CAPS.   just some of it...kinda like your post had some words in caps, but not all of them...or did you maybe not consider that you did the same thing in your post ?  do us a favor and re-read your post and see if you can notice that some words in your rant are in CAPS....just like mine...POT MEET KETTLE, FTW !!

Also, no one cares about your daughter and if you want to be taken seriously I suggest try not talking to people like you are the big bad parent and everyone else is some random kid.  I started playing EQ in '99, hopefully that tells you a little something ABOUT MY AGE.  now do us a favor, and go back to WOW.

-- enjoy

Oh, we're playing epeen? Lets see I started table top gaming back in March 1978. I started online gaming Sept. 1992 after I returned from almost a decade in europe serving Uncle Sam. you do the math, and please really? Your post was almost cap locks. And your whole ramble above pretty much proved the point of my post to you. Btw my kids are grown up, I can't stop them from sucking down those silly assed  energy drinks at their age. Thanks for posting though.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Ummm... Rift Lite???

Hell, even I logged in last night just for the halibut.

I played at launch for the first 2 months.  I came back 2 weeks ago and signed on for 3 months sub.  I am in a newly formed guild, most are returning players like me.  but nice try.  also, I hope you have enough sense to know, that a % of the RIFT lite players will come on board as regular active subs. 

But keep thinking that people like you who popped on for a random night here or there are causing permanent spikes in player pops -- cant be that people are ACTUALLY returning to game and enjoying it...like me.

Wow.  defensively hostile, much?

I'm not arguing that Rift "hasn't truly" had its population increase.  LotRO, DDO, DCUO and others have had massive success by making their game more accessible... in both population and revenue.  It would be a pretty bad Omen if there WASN'T a significant pop increase when opening a significant portion of your game for free.

"I hope you have enough sense to know" that. 

Far as all the anti-TOR talk from others since your reply, it appears that many don't.

Let me try it this way.  THE SERVER POPS HAVE LESS TO DO WITH RIFT LITE AND FAR MORE TO DO WITH REGULAR SUB PLAYERS.  hope this helps.

You are posting an opinion, not fact. Like Robsolf, I actually logged back into Rift to check it out due mostly with my unhappiness with SWTOR. For that matter I also logged into STO, AoC, EQII, DDO, WoW, GW and LOTRO. Just doing my roaming around while I ponder my near future diversion until GWII releases. Btw all caps for the win? Really? Makes you come off like one my daughters after a few of those damn energy drinks. In the case of my daughters, I take them less serious, are you wanting to be taken less serious when you post? Robsolf made a valid opinion point, get over it. Step away from the energy drink.

If I play a game for an extended period of time I think it would go without saying I can notice trends in the player pop of said game.  For example, not only have I been noticing a sizeable increase in activity in the capital city (just as one example of player activity in regards to a location), but also that there are LOTS of high level players.  In addition through grouping and chatting and thru my new guild I talked to many, SEVERAL people who said they just re-subbed around time of post SWTOR 1st month and the free weekend promo RIFT ran recently. 

I started playing MMOs in '99 and in each was able to notice trends in the health of playerbase.   Call it Situational Awareness I guess...its like you notice things around you and you are able to come to various conclusions about little things, like if there are MORE OR LESS PLAYERS in the game world.  Open your eyes and your mind and you may notice little things too, like if there are more players then when you played prior.

Oh and just a few other things there kid, my post you referenced WAS NOT ALL CAPS.   just some of it...kinda like your post had some words in caps, but not all of them...or did you maybe not consider that you did the same thing in your post ?  do us a favor and re-read your post and see if you can notice that some words in your rant are in CAPS....just like mine...POT MEET KETTLE, FTW !!

Also, no one cares about your daughter and if you want to be taken seriously I suggest try not talking to people like you are the big bad parent and everyone else is some random kid.  I started playing EQ in '99, hopefully that tells you a little something ABOUT MY AGE.  now do us a favor, and go back to WOW.

-- enjoy

[Mod Edit]

"the pop rise is due to there being no other MMO right now worth playing." 

First and foremost -- THANK YOU.  Secondly, the debate was never over WHAT THE CAUSE of the pop rise was, it was due to some folks trying to tell those of us, WHO ACTUALLY PLAY the game, that what we are seeing and experiencing in game with player pops is not real.

So again, thanks !

+1.  Again i dont give a darn what the reason is for the pop increase is, but thanks for proving my point.

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

@TyvolusNext + @Adalwulff

Neither of you know whether the rise in population is permanent or the cause for that rise.  Both of you are speculating and are probably both wrong. All anyone knows, including Trion, is that the population is up for now. Will it continue to rise or begin to decline or fluxuate are valid areas of speculation. For the record, my money is on the later.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by CericX

Neither of you know whether the rise in population is permanent or the cause for that rise.  Both of you are speculating and are probably both wrong. All anyone knows, including Trion, is that the population is up for now. Will it continue to rise or begin to decline or fluxuate are valid areas of speculation. For the record, my money is on the later.

"is that the population is up for now."

Thanks !!  and for the record, and for the second time now.  ALL I ORIGINALLY SAID WAS THAT THE SUBS WERE UP IN Rift -- I NEVER SAID FOR WHAT REASON, FOR HOW LONG, ETC.  JUST THAT THE SUBS WERE UP  -- SO THANKS FOR BEING THE SECOND PERSON NOW TO CONFIRM MY ORIGINAL POINT IS CORRECT...and that being merely, simply "SUBS ARE UP." 

-- enjoy.

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

Thanks !!  and for the record, and for the second time now.  ALL I ORIGINALLY SAID WAS THAT THE SUBS WERE UP IN Rift -- I NEVER SAID FOR WHAT REASON, FOR HOW LONG, ETC.  JUST THAT THE SUBS WERE UP  -- SO THANKS FOR BEING THE SECOND PERSON NOW TO CONFIRM MY ORIGINAL POINT IS CORRECT...and that being merely, simply "SUBS ARE UP." 

-- enjoy.

Thats great! Appears your actual message was lost during your ranting! Happy that we agree! (I think your caps lock is stuck on, its over on the left of your keyboard, just unclick that k?)

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

-- enjoy.

That caps lock button on your keyboard... it is sadly stuck again. I know I know it isn't all cap locks just most of it.  Or maybe it is a case of not knowing what caps locks means?

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. 

Btw from what I was noting while watching the Rift servers they apparently looked about the same as they did a few months ago. Though a few more worlds apparently were combined once again. A few of my lower level characters I couldn't move that were on those worlds due to being under a certain level.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

Originally posted by Warbs

Just been looking at riftstatus and noticed almost all shards have had a resurgence in population te last few weeks ( yes i know some where moved to trial status)

NA Shards : http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/stats

EU Shards : http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/eu/stats

I would imagine that 50% of gamers who left to play SW will be returning to their previously played MMO's over the next couple of months.

SW should be F2P, as how it stands right now is a complete fraud.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Rift was at $5 bucks on steam last night. Im sure the sale is still up for the weekend. Just FYI yall

edit: offer ends in 4 more hours and half lol

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Rift is a good game and with interesting game functions. Shame it was put aside when Swtor come out and that turn out to be a big let down.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

I agree it would be nice but i just deleted my 50 and made another one didnt take too long.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by Dranny

I agree it would be nice but i just deleted my 50 and made another one didnt take too long.

Yeah it really doesn't take that long. A guildmate started a new character last Sunday I think and was level 39 as of last night by using some of those +100% xp vet rewards potions. Plus since they are doing their anniversary event right now I think there's another like +25% xp on top of that.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Nimar

Rift is a good game and with interesting game functions. Shame it was put aside when Swtor come out and that turn out to be a big let down.

it was put aside way before Swtor launched. Despite its many regular updates and active devs, Rift has many let downs that dont keep some bunch of people subscribed. I logged in the Rift lite sometimes but i dont think ill resub in a long time (being unsubbed for more than 7 months now)

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 18

I did find it funny that this site gave it MMO of the year... a empty mmo is the best one around? The others must be wastelands! :(