Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Predictions on TORs subs a year out

Just wanna know whatcha all think.

Got a bit sloppy with the poll.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Still a little early for me to make a guess.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I put 900k, but only because of all of the new releases this year. I think next year will be the big year for ToR content wise. I really have faith that Bioware is going to crank out some amazing content for years to come.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

I'd say around 200k personally, tops. I really can't see this game going upwards sub wise.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I put 900k, but only because of all of the new releases this year. I think next year will be the big year for ToR content wise. I really have faith that Bioware is going to crank out some amazing content for years to come.

Content takes money, money comes from investors, Bioware/EA borrowed a ton of cash to make SWTOR and did not meet the numbers they promised investors, in this economy investors are VERY tight with their money, and if you don't make your target, you do not get another chance.

Granted they may do some half-assed crappy expansion on a nothing budget so they have something else to sell the suckers, but there is ZERO chance for a high quality high budget expansion.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

200k seems reasonable with all the new MMOs coming out, this game does nothing better then any MMO out at endgame. Endgame keeps the subs around till expansions etc come out and if there is nothing to do well

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I guess around 150 - 250k, I don't think it has enough replayability or enough mmo feel to retain people at a high level.  The way they meshed mmo/story I think weakens both aspects.

I got my money worth, but I don't see it holding up, and they better hope someone doesn't come along and decide to make a better Star Wars MMO, as they would probably get the thumbs down from Lucas, like SWG, and have to close up, due to profit/rights fees not meeting their quota.

No competition for the license in a 'MMO', means Lucas can't really jack them around, cause some money is better than no money...They probably also got a 3-5 year deal, so they got a while before he could rachet the fees up probably.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

<500k

Momentum's a bitch, and unfortunately SW:TOR's isn't positive.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

800,000 seems to be  realistic figure. Too many people have been quiting, because their friends or guild mates are quiting and a lot of people are just using it as filler until one of the big 3 come out. Most noteably GW2.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Master10K

800,000 seems to be  realistic figure. Too many people have been quiting, because their friends or guild mates are quiting and a lot of people are just using it as filler until one of the big 3 come out. Most noteably GW2.

What are you talking about GW2 is a filler till AA.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Well they could be waiting a while then. Game doesn't even have a publisher yet. :p

What are you talking about?

AA is a filler till Planet Side 2.

Well they could be waiting a while then. Game doesn't even have a publisher yet. :p

Planet side 2 is a filler until Command and conquer: generals 2.

and so on and so forth.

AA won't see massive success. Calling that right here, right now. It's a sandbox. They just aren't *that* successful. I'll happily accept your adoration and awe for my amazing skills of prediction when that turns out to be true when it releases, or you could just accept the alternative that anyone could predict it'll be a niche game. It's like how all the TERA fans are adamant that a F2P-esque Korean grinder, that wasn't even successful in Korea, will go toe to toe with GW2. It'll be a great game for those interested though from what i've seen.

Planetside 2 isn't really an MMORPG, so it's not directly in competition with them, but it will be well worth people's time. I'll certainly give it a go.

Originally posted by ComfyChair

and so on and so forth.

AA won't see massive success. Calling that right here, right now. It's a sandbox. They just aren't *that* successful. I'll happily accept your adoration and awe for my amazing skills of prediction when that turns out to be true when it releases. It'll be a great game for those interested though from what i've seen.

Planetside 2 isn't really an MMORPG, so it's not directly in competition with them, but it will be well worth people's time. I'll certainly give it a go.

Yeah all your games have no release dates. TSW does, thanks.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I've been playing since release and I'll say less than 500k.  Also note, I was not hyped on this game at all.  I just tagged along with my friends until GW2.  

The CLASS quests are really well done (at least for Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent), but other than that the game is pretty mediocre.  Unless they can optimize the engine and fix a bunch of crap, I don't see this game gaining much more people.  However, there are many SW and BW fans so I could be wrong.  For example, my friends are huge BW fans and absolutely love this game.  Me?  I think it's a decent enough game to take up some time.  

Also, this game is great for MMO or video game RPG newbies.  For example, my brother (who is a long time table top RPGer) loves this game.  

Originally posted by LadyNoh

and so on and so forth.

AA won't see massive success. Calling that right here, right now. It's a sandbox. They just aren't *that* successful. I'll happily accept your adoration and awe for my amazing skills of prediction when that turns out to be true when it releases. It'll be a great game for those interested though from what i've seen.

TSW will be a filler towards Star Wars: The Old Republic; Empire Strikes Back ... SWTORs first x pac.

and so on and so forth.

TSW will be a filler towards Star Wars: The Old Republic; Empire Strikes Back ... SWTORs first x pac.

Your funny, im curious how well they will surivive the onslaught of games coming out in 2012.

Because i can.

Aye :) Thankfully we know that GW2 will be released in the summer. Just how it stacks up. The beta's are March-April and are 'much closer to release than they were for guild wars'. Which basically means last beta in April, release in May/June/July. Knowing Funcom's luck with releases, it'll fall in the same week.

That would be like the world's biggest boot kicking their balls at 250mph.

Also, the empire strikes back will be a really amazing expansion, but the expansion after that will go downhill a little. Then Bioware will have a break, then completely trash the game with 3 terrible expansions.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

This again?  Who cares.  If you like the game, play it.  If you don't, then stop playing.  There is no way this affects you in any way unless you are a large stake stock holder with EA/Bioware.

I really don't understand why people think that anyone else will care what they think the subscription rate will be after "x" amount of time.

Originally posted by jessie360

This again?  Who cares.  If you like the game, play it.  If you don't, then stop playing.  There is no way this affects you in any way unless you are a large stake stock holder with EA/Bioware.

I really don't understand why people think that anyone else will care what they think the subscription rate will be after "x" amount of time.

Indeed, they'll just merge servers so there'll always be people to play with.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

1-2 M.

Easy.

Everyone saying less than 500k are so stupid. Just can't believe how stupid someone can be.

Your funny, im curious how well they will surivive the onslaught of games coming out in 2012.

RIFT and WoW somehow managed.

The only thing coming out in 2012 worth the box its printed on is GW2, and Its not like Bioware/Star Wars fans can get their fix from that. 

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

It honestly depends on how their first big content patch goes.  Generally games that have been on time with content patches and new content have done well.  Rift's secret to success is just constantly creating new content.  Even if the content sucks.  Even if it's the exact same stuff over and over.  No matter what, it's content... and on time.

If they do content on time they'' proably retain about 30% of their subscribers.

If they create content that is fun, lasts a long time and is repeatable they'll retain another 15% of their subscribers.

If they fix bugs and improve their PvP I wil estimate they will save another 5% subscribers.

So I'm going with anywhere between 100K-1M depending how much they put into this.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I think it is funny that people say <500k subs when they will have that many, at least in the US and AMEA, as well as getting ready to launch in Asia and Asia Pac. I think it is too early to say for sure but I think it will be higher than peeps here suspect.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Requiem6

1-2 M.

Easy.

Everyone saying less than 500k are so stupid. Just can't believe how stupid someone can be.

There is not even that many playing now 1-2m are you joking?