Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

comprehensive list?

hi was wondering if there was a comprehensive list of features as i can't seem to find much that's definitive on these forums or in the features part of this website or wiki about this game.

Questions I need answered are as follows:

1. will there be a gear treadmill of any kind?

2. will end game be dungeon crawling, ie waiting around to form a group in major cities?

3. is there an exploration/achievement system? will they have tangable rewards?

4. will the environment be a loadscreen environment or midway seamless (meaning will you still have fast travel options but still be able to walk to the edge of one zone into another)?

5. does the combat in this game use a global cooldown?

6. is this game designed around the leveling marathon system?

7. what about tech, will one be able to build a heavily armed modern weapon weilding character if one wishes complete with flame throwers, grenades, machine guns, shotguns and the like?

8. does crowd control exist in this game in character skills?

9. are the enhancements to weaponry and armor anything like those found in hellgate london?

10. will this game have immersion, universally interactable npcs, critters, ambient sounds, night/day cycles, weather patterns, car accidents etc?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Originally posted by itgrowls

hi was wondering if there was a comprehensive list of features as i can't seem to find much that's definitive on these forums or in the features part of this website or wiki about this game.

will there be a gear treadmill of any kind?

will end game be dungeon crawling, ie waiting around to form a group in major cities?

is there an exploration/achievement system? will they have tangable rewards?

will the environment be a loadscreen environment or midway seamless (meaning will you still have fast travel options but still be able to walk to the edge of one zone into another)?

does the combat in this game use a global cooldown?

is this game designed around the leveling marathon system?

what about tech, will one be able to build a heavily armed modern weapon weilding character if one wishes complete with flame throwers, grenades, machine guns, shotguns and the like?

does crowd control exist in this game in character skills?

are the enhancements to weaponry and armor anything like those found in hellgate london?

will this game have immersion, universally interactable npcs, critters, ambient sounds, night/day cycles, weather patterns, car accidents etc?

1.The only gear is your chakras and weapons, which you get get better of as you progress the story.

2.There is no endgame in this. it is just The game, plenty of single player content to go around aswell as dungeon crawls. PvP is also a factor because its more than just a random fight. its territorial, you take territory or lose it. i am unsure how that effects gameplay though TBH

3.They havent announced a real achivement system but they will probubly have something.

4.The world is earth, do you really think you could walk around the earth. anyhow it will be load screen to areas however the areas will be big enough that the area is seamless. you travel via the hollow earth theory.

5.unsure, have yet to see real gameplay

6.no leveling whatso ever.

7.most likely, i dont see any reason as to why they would keep it out

8.controller will likely be vital

9.armor is cloths, Cloths are asthetic. Enhancements are usually based on the title of the weapon.

10.very likely. this game was built for the immersion effect.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by itgrowls

1. will there be a gear treadmill of any kind?  Yes, you'll have a gear treadmill of sorts.  Harder content will give better gear.

2. will end game be dungeon crawling, ie waiting around to form a group in major cities?  There are dungeons, yes, and you can bet they'll be a big source of endgame content.

3. is there an exploration/achievement system? will they have tangable rewards?  Not sure about an achievement system.  One of the game's mechanics revolves around solving puzzles/mysteries including using real world tools to look up information similar to a ARG, and there are tangible rewards for solving them.

4. will the environment be a loadscreen environment or midway seamless (meaning will you still have fast travel options but still be able to walk to the edge of one zone into another)?  You travel through portals in Agartha to different zones in the world.  Dungeons are also zoned too as you would expect.  Not 100% sure the differences you mean here.

5. does the combat in this game use a global cooldown?  Seems that way

6. is this game designed around the leveling marathon system?  Not exactly.  You still have an experience bar, but when you fill it you simply gain another skill point that you can invest where you want.  You won't see as much "vertical" progression in regards to leveling as in other MMOs.  Progression is mostly horizontal (like leveling up in CoD for example giving you more options to different weapons / kill streaks, but not necessarily more powerful).

7. what about tech, will one be able to build a heavily armed modern weapon weilding character if one wishes complete with flame throwers, grenades, machine guns, shotguns and the like?  Yes, the game has modern weaponry. 

8. does crowd control exist in this game in character skills?  Yes, and there seems to be a lot of them.

9. are the enhancements to weaponry and armor anything like those found in hellgate london?  Not 100% sure, but weapons have suffix and prefixes names too which effect their stats similar to say Diablo.  In crafting you can create custom weapons based on these.

10. will this game have immersion, universally interactable npcs, critters, ambient sounds, night/day cycles, weather patterns, car accidents etc?  Yes, there is a Monster Ecology system which lets you control spawn rates.  You can effect various things in the environment (one example: you can trigger car alarms which attract zombies).

Trying my best here based on the information I know.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

there is one thing that has been bothering me. ive read the majority of the articles now. and some mention tab targeting while others mention twitch. it could be possible that they want to incorperate both of them. after all Champions had it as a option.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by LadyNoh

there is one thing that has been bothering me. ive read the majority of the articles now. and some mention tab targeting while others mention twitch. it could be possible that they want to incorperate both of them. after all Champions had it as a option.

TSW has tab targeting.  Combat is actually very similar to traditional tab targeting games with a few exceptions, mainly that you can use all abilities while moving (including channeled) and state based combos.

The "twitch" aspect might come into play in that the game seems to have a rather quick combat pace and the ability to move while attacking.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Can I add my questions to this list, since it's supposed to be comprehensive? :)

1) Replayability within one faction: I want to know what happens when you get a friend to roll your faction and you've already gone through X amount of the mission chain. As I understand it he can come along and join you and still contribute due to there being no levels - is this the case, or will he be restricted because he hasn't completed the mission chain up to your point? Or, if you go back and help him with his starter missions, will you be doing the same content over again? Will you get any credit or will it just be a comraderie/charity thing?

2) Mission-sharing: This ties in with 1) - will you be able to easily share mission objectives with strangers without having to sync up and make sure you're all on the same step of the same missions?

3) "Endgame": Say you don't want to raid, and you don't want to PvP either. Is there anything else for you to do once the story is "done"?

4) Are they still working on character animations? AoC characters animated really well (hated the female running animation, but whatever), but this still looks very much in progress, so I hope they're still baking on these.

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Can I add my questions to this list, since it's supposed to be comprehensive? :)

1) Replayability within one faction: I want to know what happens when you get a friend to roll your faction and you've already gone through X amount of the mission chain. As I understand it he can come along and join you and still contribute due to there being no levels - is this the case, or will he be restricted because he hasn't completed the mission chain up to your point? Or, if you go back and help him with his starter missions, will you be doing the same content over again? Will you get any credit or will it just be a comraderie/charity thing?

2) Mission-sharing: This ties in with 1) - will you be able to easily share mission objectives with strangers without having to sync up and make sure you're all on the same step of the same missions?

3) "Endgame": Say you don't want to raid, and you don't want to PvP either. Is there anything else for you to do once the story is "done"?

4) Are they still working on character animations? AoC characters animated really well (hated the female running animation, but whatever), but this still looks very much in progress, so I hope they're still baking on these.

Unfortunately I find a lot of the information we do know to pretty vague at the moment.  Still not quite clear how everything works, but here goes:

1 & 2.  I'm not sure if there are prerequisites for sharing missions.  I'd imagine you can't just share every mission in the game and get the same rewards.  Missions are divided up into tiers (so you can do them in steps, and go do something else during the mission) and apparently you can share missions with other players from the point of whatever tier you are on.  The majority of missions can be replayed.  As far as going back and helping a friend goes, I'd imagine there is some content the both of you can do that you haven't done previously due to their being no levels.  Different factions can group with others in PvE, so if your friend plays a different faction you might be able to do some of his story sequences too, though I'm also not positive you can even bring other players into a story mission.

Story missions cannot be shared.

3.  There are investigation missions.  These are essentially ARG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game) puzzles that require a combination of real world knowledge, internet sleuthing, and general mystery solving.  Some may require the cooperation of an entire server to solve.  Apparently Funcom will be actively updating the game with new investigation missions also.

4.  No idea what they are working on.  I know a lot of people complained about the animations in earlier footage of the game.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Oh, well it's good to know we can group with other factions in PvE, for some reason I'd missed that. Thanks for trying to answer my questions. I know Funcom is trying to keep things under wraps especially given the very consipiracy-laden nature of the game, but it's frustrating not having more concrete info, lol!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Magnum2103

TSW has tab targeting.  Combat is actually very similar to traditional tab targeting games with a few exceptions, mainly that you can use all abilities while moving (including channeled) and state based combos.
    The "twitch" aspect might come into play in that the game seems to have a rather quick combat pace and the ability to move while attacking.

Not only that. It has a certain form of ability dodge too :

When a monster or a boss is using a skill, you can see a white circle or a cone showing where that skill will effect(similar to how it is with player skills), moving out of that zone will allow you to, effectively dodge its attack.

Game encourages moving in combat, thats where the whole "twitch" thing comes from.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75

I like that idea, instead of just a stat that determins your survival!

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

From what I understand, some weapons like shotgun use point blank AoE cones, where it isn't so much about tab targeting but more about facing into the direction where you want to shoot your skill off to, hitting all the mobs that are within your AoE cone. But that's from what I read.
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by smh_alot

From what I understand, some weapons like shotgun use point blank AoE cones, where it isn't so much about tab targeting but more about facing into the direction where you want to shoot your skill off to, hitting all the mobs that are within your AoE cone. But that's from what I read.

It worked that way the last time I tried as well. ;)

I think it's a nice compromise between making a twitch gameplay and regular tab-targetting. Hitting somebody with a cone attack is pretty easy, but optimizing the damage makes for interesting gameplay, both in PvE and PvP.

To sum it up:

You have single target attacks where you use tab to select the enemy, but you have to be facing the correct way.

You have AoE effects that expands from a single target (fireball), you use tab+facing

You have cone attacks that hit everything in a cone where you are facing.