Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kingdom of amaular is not skyrim

OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

I read a post that said it was like Skyrim. Kingdom of amaular blows. Who ever said that was being paid. Skyrim had depth and was exciting. Kingdom of Amaular is like fable just worse questing, mechanics...ahh hell the whole game was worse. Skyrim is king of all that is and ever was....but maybe not all that will be.... 

incase you need bullet points.

graphics = exactly like fable

combat = exactly like fable

gear system = nothing really looks coool its all just shadded a tiny bit different

level up = exactly like every other game besides skyrim

story = was there one? I just remember reading a whole lot of...kill 5 X and you will save the town... and oh you the first undead human blah blah blah fate....FATE!!! OH NOOOOOO FATE!!!! IT's a FAAAAATE!!!

quality over all = 5.... kept my attention for like 4 days then just got bored of seeing the same 3 enemies and the easily predictable story line

now we see if this thread gets locked since someone is getting paid to boost this game.

Comments

• komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214

Kingdom of Amalur wanted to be like Skyrim, but then it took an arrow to the knee.

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

from what i hear not as good as witcher 2 either

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by ShakyMo

You heard it right.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Kingdoms of Amalaur is garbage.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I know right?

I had to get the game because I am a huge fan of Salvatore but it does suck. To easy even on hard mode, boring quests and not that great of a story. Should have known since it is a EA game.

All Hype!

Wait until ME3 comes out and what we expect from ME1 and ME2, the demo was terrible.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

They copied a lot of odd little details from The Elder Scrolls.  Little things that might seem like random coincedence, if there weren't so many.  Most common forms of wildlife bear and deer - that's just generic, sure, but 3rd?  Crabs.  Why crabs all over the place, of all things?

Problem is, its all wrapped up in a very different style of world design.  Not quite linear, but not wide open like Skyrim, either.  It has a much more rigid feel to it.  Can't even do the most basic modding on it, either, which is just the opposite, too.  In all sorts of ways, it lacks Bethesda's freeform style, in favor of a more strict storytelling experience.. with extremely stilted monotone storytelling.

So anyhow, I can see why people compare it to Skyrim, but I can also see why there's just no comparison.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

The Witcher 2 is ALOT BETTER then KoA

KoA prolly more for console gamers and all who like Fable style games but its absolutely not comparable with Skyrim.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by komarr
    Kingdom of Amalur wanted to be like Skyrim, but then it took an arrow to the knee.

Wrong: I was ones a good developer like you, but then i took a AXE to the Skull and screw it up:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68

I'm playing it and I'm enjoying it.

Mostly because I'm not comparing it to anything else, just enjoying it for what it is.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

The combat in KoA alone makes me not want to buy it. It looks like they went for a very flashy combat system. I suppose kids may enjoy it?

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Yeah this game feels like a much larger fable to me, just with out the light hearted humor. I'm liking the game, but it's only decent so far nothing great at the moment. One thing the game does well with the dialog is that they definitely hammer in several pieces of lore into your brain. I have a very firm grasp of whats going on and who these people are.

I'm not sure If I can really draw any parallels with skyrim other then it is a action RPG? Two totally different games IMO and can't be compared. Skyrim is a better game as whole but that is subjective of course :)

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

No shit?

Really?

A consolized POS with terribad controls and WoW-like graphics isn't Skyrim?

Well knock me over with a feather!

No-one said it was anywhere near Skyrim except the devs and publishers of it. Anyone that played the Demo could see it was nowhere near Skyrim quality. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could see this.

I mourn the bits and bytes needlessly killed to make the OP.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by bartoni33

No shit?

Really?

A consolized POS with terribad controls and WoW-like graphics isn't Skyrim?

Well knock me over with a feather!

No-one said it was anywhere near Skyrim except the devs and publishers of it. Anyone that played the Demo could see it was nowhere near Skyrim quality. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could see this.

I mourn the bits and bytes needlessly killed to make the OP.

The fanboys and girls insist it's like Skyrim; in fact, better even!

Personally, I found the game insanely boring. My girlfriend did too, and she loves Fable (the closest I'd compare this game to).

I just don't think it really has a soul. As in, I can't ever imagine in the future saying "This plays like KoA," which isn't true for Skyrim and even Fable (which I also don't like).

But hey, some people ARE enjoying it, so more power to them.

• S37hhhS37hhh Member Posts: 9

it's exacly like skyrim

• arrecksarrecks Member Posts: 17

I think Kotaku's review of this game captures KoA perfectly. Anyone can make posts, reviews written by "journalists" uninfluenced by publishers hold more water than joe noobface.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Vhaln

They copied a lot of odd little details from The Elder Scrolls.  Little things that might seem like random coincedence, if there weren't so many.  Most common forms of wildlife bear and deer - that's just generic, sure, but 3rd?  Crabs.  Why crabs all over the place, of all things?

Problem is, its all wrapped up in a very different style of world design.  Not quite linear, but not wide open like Skyrim, either.  It has a much more rigid feel to it.  Can't even do the most basic modding on it, either, which is just the opposite, too.  In all sorts of ways, it lacks Bethesda's freeform style, in favor of a more strict storytelling experience.. with extremely stilted monotone storytelling.

So anyhow, I can see why people compare it to Skyrim, but I can also see why there's just no comparison.

That is probably because one of the lead designers is Ken Rolston. He was one of the game designers on The Elder Scrolls series for Bethesda for Arena through Oblivion (he was the lead designer on both Morrowind and Oblivion). He is probably why there are similarities to The Elder Scrolls in KoA.

As for the game itself I've yet to try it so I won't comment on it directly. I've mainly been waiting for player/critic reactions before I dive in and purchase the game. So far reactions have been very mixed. Today's 'cash grab' video game market has made me a VERY cautious consumer. I've been burned by hype too many times in the past to just dive in and buy a game anymore.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Raven322

Mostly because I'm not comparing it to anything else, just enjoying it for what it is.

I enjoy it as well. I see some things that might be similar features taken from Skyrim, Fable, and WoW's questing, in addition to MMO style harvesting and crafting. I like the game, and probably would play if it were an MMO just because I don't mind themepark and that's really what KoA reminds me of a single player themepark MMO.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Bah, bandwagon talk. KoA is a good, solid game. Not as good as Skyrim, but it is also void of bugs.

Its like Fable meets Wow, with a dash of Elder Scrolls.

Some wont like it, others will love it.

•  

Good to know.

I am currently LOVING Skyrim - after several fruitless years of trying to enjoy what MMOs have become - and I am already wondering if there are other games out there like Skyrim.

Where could I read more about Bethseda? Are their previous games as good as Skyrim, in the same sandboxy style?

Skyrim is a bit too buggy, but apart from that a near-perfect game for me - 9.5/10.

Cheers OP.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

I personally found it better than skyrim at release, how long it stays that ways seems to be up to 38 studios. But dont take my word for it go read http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning .

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I just finished the main story line the other night and I would rate it about a 6. Not horrible but it lacks the personality of fable and the depth of Skyrim. Way to many boring quests and the game is far to easy... and then there is the camera angles. 

Who thought of the idea of having the camera pull back in combat? So many times I had to just mash the mouse buttons because I couldn't see a damn thing. As luck would have it mashing is an acceptable form of combat in this game. As long as you have some health regen gems you are never going to die.

The AI on all the mobs is pretty bad. Never had that "oh shit I cant believe the mob just did that" moment. All in all I just felt like the game was really long and got pretty boring at the end.

Originally posted by Rogosh

I personally found it better than skyrim at release, how long it stays that ways seems to be up to 38 studios. But dont take my word for it go read http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning .

Yeah... That sure proves it's better alright. Skyrim only scored a full 9 points higher with the Critics and KoA gets a 6 for a User score whereas Skyrim scores a 8.2 with players. I'm not sure what you were trying to prove with that link as Metacritic places Skyrim way above KoA in both Critic and User scores. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Strap

Good to know.

I am currently LOVING Skyrim - after several fruitless years of trying to enjoy what MMOs have become - and I am already wondering if there are other games out there like Skyrim.

Where could I read more about Bethseda? Are their previous games as good as Skyrim, in the same sandboxy style?

Skyrim is a bit too buggy, but apart from that a near-perfect game for me - 9.5/10.

Cheers OP.

Yes,

Get Fallout New Vegas or Fallout 3. I like New Vegas more, but both are great games.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by fenistil

You heard it right.

Agreed, I was walled in on KOA as soon as I started (once you escape the dungeon) and didn't even have a decent story going to guide me through when compared to Witcher 2.

Open world / freedom = Nothing like Skyrim

And comparing the game to Witcher also = fail for KOA.

Originally posted by Raven322

Gotta go like this, if you're going to play it. Too bad the advertisements said something like "better than Skyrim" :D and forced this mess onto players comparing the two!

Originally posted by gbooster

Originally posted by Strap

Good to know.

Cheers OP.

Yes,

Get Fallout New Vegas or Fallout 3. I like New Vegas more, but both are great games.

Oblivion and Morrowind are great games as well. The rest of the Elder Scrolls are a bit dated now as they were older DOS games. I did however get years of enjoyment out of Daggerfall back in the early to mid 90's. You can read up all you want on Bethesda on their website also there is a very interesting video series on the entire history of the company here.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }