Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK so the wait is over. NDA for Press is over 21st of Feb.

13»

Comments

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    I though TSW's PvP was only instanced or regulated to specific zones...?

Also, was -any- gameplay footage released? I'm pretty excited for this game, but it feels like it's incredibly behind on it's development to be launching in two months. Especially when compared to what else major happened this week in the MMOSphere.

:(

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Originally posted by star

I though TSW's PvP was only instanced or regulated to specific zones...?

Also, was -any- gameplay footage released? I'm pretty excited for this game, but it feels like it's incredibly behind on it's development to be launching in two months. Especially when compared to what else major happened this week in the MMOSphere.

:(

TSW launches in 4 months, June 19.  FC finally gave a precise date.  And theres always the possibility of a delay.

PvP, as far as information has been released and stated, it's indeed separated from PvP and present either on the instanced minigames, the FFA fight club(s?) or the persistent, non-intanced RvRvR warzones.

Kinda like the core servers in DAoC.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

I'm seconding/thirding the request for gameplay footage... is there anything out there from this latest press testing that is actually commentated by the players? Were they given free realm within the respective areas they got to play? Someone should pin a comprehensive collection of all the footage collected if there is any.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by sidhaethe

I'm seconding/thirding the request for gameplay footage... is there anything out there from this latest press testing that is actually commentated by the players? Were they given free realm within the respective areas they got to play? Someone should pin a comprehensive collection of all the footage collected if there is any.

All I've found so far is very montaged with way too much talking.

by IGN, uploaded on Feb 24 2012.

Funcom's own twitter links to another one, as well.

Looking for more gameplay footage of #TSW? Machinima has you covered with commentary by Ragnar Tørnquist! - http://t.co/7ZkgW4mr

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Crunchy221

I hope TSW comes no where near WoW...which is what i assume you base "fail" on.  I want to keep as many of those players in SWTOR and GW2 as humanly possible....less they come here and try to dumb down the game and make it another clone basing their love/hate on instanced pvp ignoring the entier game in the process...like they do in normal themeparks.

I am sorry but this statement is patently ridiculous, TSW has more in common with WoW than GW2, have you even read the feature sets for both of these games ?

I for one plan on buying both of these games but there is just no way you can state this and be informed at the same time. 

Lolipops !

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I have played TSW and think the combat is quite intelligent and fast paced. I have played AoC as well and it's similar, but less button mashing and more thinking is involved in TSW. In addition you have to use movement intelligently against quite a lot of monsters.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Okay I am waiting to see how good this game will be.

My first FunCom game I palyed was Age OF Conan, and it was a big failure, it could have been a great game for that time, but the developers did very bad on the ART Design aka the armors rendered into the game, then the bugs it just didnt feel like the real conan would have to me.

Then I played BloodLines Legends again, this game feel worse than Dota 2, and way worse than even League OF Legends I really didn't like the design of the characters, and art there either.

Now we have The Secret World, it could be a great game depending on its design, characters, and art I might buy and give it a try, it could possibly take down G1's post apocalyptic game called Fallen Earth, which I would love to see, but the question is how great will this game be made, and designed, and if it will be worth playing.

Both FunCom, and G1 have not really done so well in my opinion, so to only wait now and see.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

They went to Funcom and played on their computers so probably not.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Voiidiin

I hope TSW comes no where near WoW...which is what i assume you base "fail" on.  I want to keep as many of those players in SWTOR and GW2 as humanly possible....less they come here and try to dumb down the game and make it another clone basing their love/hate on instanced pvp ignoring the entier game in the process...like they do in normal themeparks.

I am sorry but this statement is patently ridiculous, TSW has more in common with WoW than GW2, have you even read the feature sets for both of these games ?

I for one plan on buying both of these games but there is just no way you can state this and be informed at the same time. 

Feel free to post some links clarifying.  Didnt know wow changed its lore to modern conspiracy.  Changed its questing mechanics away from quest hub linear progression.  Added classless skill based character...

Im guessing that we think that instanced pvp = wow, and that connection trumps all other non connections.

And we all know the wow crowd is clammoring for GW2...not this game.  My point was that i like that fact.

But again feel free to enlighten me how close TSW is to wow...mabey i missed the part where they put pandas in TSW 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Voiidiin

hmmm

Combat, fast paced, emphaisis on movement, limited selection of skills from a larger pool, heavy usage of comboing skills accross party players with the states system, active dodging, hevay use of positional cone attacks, dual tageting, collision detection, 0.5sec GCD.  that sounds more like GW2 than WOW to me.

3 sided persitent territorial control PVP.  that sounds more like GW2 than WOW to me.

monster ecology, invasion events, freeform investigation and sabotage missions. this sounds midway between wow and GW2, theres a strong element of rift / war i guess with the invasions, the eccology is more like old games like UO, the sabotage and investigations are very open ended nothing like wow quests e.g. "investigate strange goings on at the lighthouse" then get thrown into a series of tasks / events depending on how player chooses to takle it.

easy grouping through no levels and multiple multiple multiple  builds, aiming for same thing as GW2 here, just using a different approach rather than no holy trinity etc..

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

The holy trinity if anything is expanded upon for TSW. all i found GW2 did was change the titles. TSW is making full use of everything. if anything This game has more in common with tabletop DND instead of WoW or GW2. in DND you NEED a controller, a striker, a tank, a healer, and a support. you can survive without them but the fights go better when you have them.

with TSW limiting skills to 7 you need to plan your character out. or else your gonna be stuck with your party waiting for you to redo your skills to play your temp role better.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by LadyNoh

The holy trinity if anything is expanded upon for TSW. all i found GW2 did was change the titles. TSW is making full use of everything. if anything This game has more in common with tabletop DND instead of WoW or GW2. in DND you NEED a controller, a striker, a tank, a healer, and a support. you can survive without them but the fights go better when you have them.

with TSW limiting skills to 7 you need to plan your character out. or else your gonna be stuck with your party waiting for you to redo your skills to play your temp role better.

I'm not meaning to bash on either this game or GW2, but does anybody else have a problem with the limiting skills aspect of these games?  This is why I couldn't get into the first GW.  I like everything else about these games, but I just don't like being limited in that way.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I have tried it and already at five abilities more or less random abilities it felt ok. I think 7 abilities should be just about right. Remember you have 7 passives as well and they do bring quite a lot of extra mechanics to combat.

For instance, one passive I used made me crit every 7th attack. If I planned it correctly I would crit with my highest damage attack, use some lower power skills to mop up, then end combat so that I would start my next fight with a crit on my best skill. To me, little things like that makes me use my head when fighting, instead of just pushing 1-2-3 while eating a donut.

At least to start with, your build is evolving and you have to adapt your rotations to handle the new skills you have. Making the right build as you level up is actually very fun. It's quite a free-form experience and I will probably spend some hours just fiddeling around, trying out new builds. It's quite different from normal MMOs where you often have the same build for weeks, if not months.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I'm not meaning to bash on either this game or GW2, but does anybody else have a problem with the limiting skills aspect of these games?  This is why I couldn't get into the first GW.  I like everything else about these games, but I just don't like being limited in that way.

it does seem limited to only go into combat with 7 active spells. but really TSW is just cutting the fat.  On my warlock in WoW i would have 35-40 spells i could cast. but alot of those were situational. they would be there just to clutter up my action bar 95% of the time.  TSW is trying to make you think of what you need to go into combat with to be successful.  It limits what you can use in combat but with 588 skills it is far from limiting.

I've got the straight edge.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by niceguy3978

it does seem limited to only go into combat with 7 active spells. but really TSW is just cutting the fat.  On my warlock in WoW i would have 35-40 spells i could cast. but alot of those were situational. they would be there just to clutter up my action bar 95% of the time.  TSW is trying to make you think of what you need to go into combat with to be successful.  It limits what you can use in combat but with 588 skills it is far from limiting.

i have no problem with this limiting. it basically prevents facerolling the keyboard. also you will have to choose each individual skill to use and come up with combos and strategies. this also makes it so that the holy trinity isnt enough. the reason it works as well as it does with WoW is because of the skills. you have all these skills to use, the DPS can easily become a controller aswell as a support. this game isnt gonna be about a DPS race or anything like that, this game will make you think about your character, think about each fight and be prepared.

im gonna say this now, this game WONT feel like any other MMO's. too much is different, the approch is different aswell. they will try to mess with your head, they will try to make you think, and you Wont just be shooting everything that moves.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.