Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An unashamed fanboy's perspective on WoT

Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

I am a fanboy.  I love the game.  I've been playing for about 4 months and I don't plan to quit.  I've got 2 T8 tanks, several T6 tanks and several more of lesser tiers.  I've got one or two of all tanks types: heavy, medium, light, TD and arty.  I'm not great at the game, but I enjoy it.

I buy gold to keep a premium account to support the game.  I don't buy ammo.  Ever.  I do not belong to a clan.

But, the game is not for everyone.

This is why I love the game.

1. Tanks.   I love tanks.  If you don't like tanks, I can't imagine why you would even want to download the game.

2. Variety of play styles.  Every tank plays a little differently.  Even with tank categories, tanks differ in style.  For example, the USA M4 Easy 8 and M4 E2 are both medium tanks of the same tier and both play completely differently.

3. No/few hacks.  I realize there are those who play or who have played that believe differently.  In 2000 matches, I've been in only 2-3 where someone was accused of hacking.  And in those matches, even the guy's teammates didn't support him.  There may be occasional glitches but in my experience every questionable circumstance can be explained.  There will be those who disagree but it doesn't often seem to come up on the forums either.

4.  Slower paced/more methodical.  It is not the fast paced, frantic style of play most FPS games have.  There's nothing wrong with that style.  I just prefer the more methodical pace of WoT.

5.  From a game performance perspective, I have no/few issues.  No lag.  Good FPS.

6. Variety of maps.  Tons.  And each one plays differently and presents different strategic and tactical approaches.

7.  Fairly frequent updates and content additions.  New maps and tanks.

8.  Tanks.  I really love tanks.

Don't get me wrong.  I know there are problems with the game.  Matchmaker is less than stellar.  I've been in my share of 15 to 1 massacres, on both sides of them.  However, I also have been in plenty of matches where one team was clearly superior in tank quality lost, because skill trumps tank quality.  I've also been in many battles that came down to a nail biting 1 v 1 at the end. 

And the game can be really frustrating when you killed outright because of a lucky shot or some small slip up on your part.  Especially, when that can mean you lose money on the match or your only a few hundred exp away from the next tank tier. 

There are also those who claim the game is P2W.  But, I disagree completely.  Yes, progress is slower but very possible and people get to high tier tanks without shelling out a dime.  It takes patience.  Everything in life has a price.  In this game, you pay in time and effort for the long haul or pay for a premium account for a slight advantage in time investment.

Anyway, that is my take on the game. 

For me, there is nothing like maneuvering a Pershing through a graveyard of smoking husks, the twisted remains of an up close and brutal confrontation between foes.  I'm down to about 15% of my health and most of my modules are barely functioning.  I'm the lone survivor of this bitter struggle on the eastern side of the battlefield that began and ended when the enemy sent 5 tanks to take the rise we were holding.  The funny thing is, the battle isn't really over.  The middle and west side of our battlefield is still contested.  This was one small contest in the overall struggle.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Good read, too bad you missed explaining what kills this game the MisMatchMaker.  Current  game is P2W heavy with Tier 8 tanks that munch on Tier 5 tanks, yeah I call that an ADVANTAGE see P2W.

Your forgot to mention that "skill" meets random dice generator so that DERP cannon that would obliterate Tank X, magically misses from 25 meters.

Edit

smart phone typo's

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Good read, too bad you missed explaining what kills this game the MisMatchMaker.  Current  game is P2W heavy with Tier 8 tanks that munch on Tier 5 tanks, yeah I call that an ADVANTAGE see P2W.

Your forgot to mention that "skill" meets random dice generator so that DERP cannon that would obliterate Tank X, magically misses from 25 meters.

Edit

smart phone typo's

Its not pay to win simply because you get placed against tier 8's.  I was on my kv-3(read TIER 6) last night and by aiming at the right spots and playing smart I was able to drop a lowe(tier 8) and a pershing again tier 8.  I also did damage on 4 other tanks and just fyi damage is all that really matters thats where most the xp comes from.

The matchmaking is the worst thing about the game but I will say now that I have tanks ranging from 4 to 8 I can tell you that that advantage you thought others had because of tier is not the advantage you think.  Learn to hit the weakspots, example the kv5 has a small turret on the front of it that if hit is a guranteed hit and usually pretty good damage even tier 5's can put a major dent in them that way.  There are only two tier 8's that can be purchased with money and they are farming tanks.  What I mean by farming tanks is that neither one of them is anywhere near a top tier 8 they just make great tanks to make money off of. 

I used to think those derp misses were random and bs too til I discovered that each tank has spots you can light up like a christmas tree if you know where to aim.  Bottom line its not a pay to win game.  You want to make money? you'll do it a whole lot faster if you sub, you want to lvl faster?  again subbing will help you do that but it won't give you some huge advantage.  As far as ammo rounds noone uses them outside of clan wars because they are to expensive.

Would I mess with the clan war nope i wouldn't but at this age I'm not looking for some super serial clan wars, I just like to pvp a bit each day to pvp.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by treysmooth

Edit

smart phone typo's

Its not pay to win simply because you get placed against tier 8's.  I was on my kv-3(read TIER 6) last night and by aiming at the right spots and playing smart I was able to drop a lowe(tier 8) and a pershing again tier 8.  I also did damage on 4 other tanks and just fyi damage is all that really matters thats where most the xp comes from.

The matchmaking is the worst thing about the game but I will say now that I have tanks ranging from 4 to 8 I can tell you that that advantage you thought others had because of tier is not the advantage you think.  Learn to hit the weakspots, example the kv5 has a small turret on the front of it that if hit is a guranteed hit and usually pretty good damage even tier 5's can put a major dent in them that way.  There are only two tier 8's that can be purchased with money and they are farming tanks.  What I mean by farming tanks is that neither one of them is anywhere near a top tier 8 they just make great tanks to make money off of. 

I used to think those derp misses were random and bs too til I discovered that each tank has spots you can light up like a christmas tree if you know where to aim.  Bottom line its not a pay to win game.  You want to make money? you'll do it a whole lot faster if you sub, you want to lvl faster?  again subbing will help you do that but it won't give you some huge advantage.  As far as ammo rounds noone uses them outside of clan wars because they are to expensive.

Would I mess with the clan war nope i wouldn't but at this age I'm not looking for some super serial clan wars, I just like to pvp a bit each day to pvp.

Exactly.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

also a huge fan of the game for many of the same reasons the OP listed...

a few other points to make (or add to what's been raised in this thread):

with the 7.2 patch likely coming in march (upgrading and changing the american heavy tank/tank destroyer tree), there will be other welcome changes before then. the most significant is an improvement of the match-making system currently in place. the developers have listened to the players, and adjusted it so that there should not be as much variance in tank tiers occupying the same match. it will never be perfect, but since you are just as likely to be at the top of the match list as at the bottom (unless you are a scout or artillery), then it is at least fair. the entire explanation can be reviewed on the website. the following in an excerpt from a Q&A with the dev's: 

While complicated, the first version of this new Match Maker should be available around the 7.2 timeframe. It will take into account many of the above listed issues that players have brought up. The one thing that will be absent is a hard 3 tier spread.

The Match Maker does not use tiers as a determination, but instead assigns “weights” to each vehicle or vehicle type. It will try to create fun and balanced matches with vehicles that are available at the time. It will no longer immediately assign you to the first available battle you are qualified for, but rather hold your tank and make it available to several matches that are gathering players. This will add the flexibility of generating better matches. 

You may still see some matches with wide tier spreads; however you may also see more matches with lower tier spreads, including some that may only contain one tier. Much of this will depend on server population and the population distribution at the time you enter the queue. The matchmaker will have a better chance to deal with lower populations as it will take a little time to find better matches. If the population is so low, or badly distributed that it can’t find a “perfect” match it will also have the ability to launch with less than 15 players on a side, if it feels it offers a fair match and waiting additional time may not allow for finding the needed players to fill the rosters.

So overall this change to the matchmaker is a large step towards filling the community’s desires. It is also something that can be continued to be improved and balanced. 

as far as the argument for pay-to-win...well it has already been mentioned that you can buy a premium account ranging from 24 hours to 6 months (or maybe a year) which grants a 50% increase to credits and experience earned.  if you don't mind taking more time to get that next tank, then don't pay. the tanks for sale for actual dollars are more for farming credits/xp, as has been mentioned. the one exception was a chinese medium tank that has been removed from the store, but even those are not some kind of super-tank and can be dispatched with proper play by an regularly earned tank of similar tier.  the real exception is "gold" tank rounds. these can unquestionably give players an advantage, but are used infrequently in public matches (frowned upon, even) and because the cost can be significant are usually used only in tournament play (as was also mentioned). i enjoy the game thorooughly and pay a monthly premium (less than $15/month) and still have a little left over if i want to accelerate crew-training a bit...

Edit

smart phone typo's

You missed the part where I said "miss", not bounce, not didn't damage.

Like tank filling the entire reticle miss.

Like the round would have to do a 90 degree turn miss. 

You also forgot to mention those "farming tanks", do indeed farm - many level 5's, that is pay 2 win.

Edit

smart phone typo's

You also forgot to mention those "farming tanks", do indeed farm - many level 5's, that is pay 2 win.

a "miss" like you mention is most commonly due to lag on your end, and not a designed game mechanic. i have clan-mates in australia that have to compensate a bit because their ping is often over 200. personally, after more than 3,000 matches, i've never had a shell "miss" when my target reticle was completely covering the enemy. it just doesn't happen. bounces and zero damage criticals can occur, of course. 

and once again, you seem to miss the "pay 2 win" argument. most of the big "farming tanks" you mention are often in matches with tier X competition that chews them up. those tanks simply earn credits faster, but have NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE whatsoever over similarly tiered competition. and, as mentioned, most would rather have a well-equipped EARNED tier VIII tank in a match than the one you can buy for $50. 

does my tier VIII IS-3 kill tier V tanks in matches? most certainly.  did i pay cash for it? no, i earned that tank by playing the game. is my IS-3 more than a match for either of the tier VIII gold tanks (the lowe and KV-5)? yes, indeed. 

do my teir V tanks destroy tier III tanks? yes.

do my tier VIII tanks get destroyed by tier X tanks? yes

do my tier III tanks destroy tier V tanks? yes. 

do you see the pattern? in some matches you will be near the top of the matchmaking list...sometimes in the middle...and sometimes at the bottom. even tanks at the bottom can contribute in some way, and since the matches usually last less then 10 minutes, you try again, and end up on top the next match.

the ONLY advantage in purchasing tanks with real money is the CONVENIENCE of saving time to either get in high-tier matches immediately, or earn credits faster. 

as for gold rounds..that topic has been covered already, and is the only element of the game can can be construed as "pay 2 win". even so, while those rounds do penetrate armor more effectively, they do not do more damage. but since almost no one uses them in public matches and saves them for elite tournament play because of their exorbitant cost, it is virtually a non-issue.

Originally posted by 9reesracer9

Edit

smart phone typo's

a "miss" like you mention is most commonly due to lag on your end, and not a designed game mechanic. i have clan-mates in australia that have to compensate a bit because their ping is often over 200. personally, after more than 3,000 matches, i've never had a shell "miss" when my target reticle was completely covering the enemy. it just doesn't happen. bounces and zero damage criticals can occur, of course. 

and once again, you seem to miss the "pay 2 win" argument. most of the big "farming tanks" you mention are often in matches with tier X competition that chews them up. those tanks simply earn credits faster, but have NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE whatsoever over similarly tiered competition. and, as mentioned, most would rather have a well-equipped EARNED tier VIII tank in a match than the one you can buy for $50. 

does my tier VIII IS-3 kill tier V tanks in matches? most certainly.  did i pay cash for it? no, i earned that tank by playing the game. is my IS-3 more than a match for either of the tier VIII gold tanks (the lowe and KV-5)? yes, indeed. 

do you see the pattern? in some matches you will be near the top of the matchmaking list...sometimes in the middle...and sometimes at the bottom. even tanks at the bottom can contribute in some way, and since the matches usually last less then 10 minutes, you try again, and end up on top the next match.

the ONLY advantage in purchasing tanks with real money is the CONVENIENCE of saving time to either get in high-tier matches immediately, or earn credits faster. 

as for gold rounds..that topic has been covered already, and is the only element of the game can can be construed as "pay 2 win". even so, while those rounds do penetrate armor more effectively, they do not do more damage. but since almost no one uses them in public matches and saves them for elite tournament play because of their exorbitant cost, it is virtually a non-issue.

Ironic because my statistical break down of 100 Tier 5 and 6 medium tank battles places me on average through 100 battles at position number 10 almost 11 which is lower 1/3 of matches.

Your agrument of T-59 tanks is hogwash, I have lost count of the amout of players with no grinding in tiers 5-7 yet roll T-59, often being the most played and you fail to mention the cotton candy MM the Tier 8 premiums have.

Seems your confused on what pay to win means.

Edit

smart phone typo's

Ironic because my statistical break down of 100 Tier 5 and 6 medium tank battles places me on average through 100 battles at position number 10 almost 11 which is lower 1/3 of matches.

Your agrument of T-59 tanks is hogwash, I have lost count of the amout of players with no grinding in tiers 5-7 yet roll T-59, often being the most played and you fail to mention the cotton candy MM the Tier 8 premiums have.

the Type 59's matchmaking was changed and is NO LONGER favorable...it is exactly the same as any other tier VIII medium tank. it is also no longer for sale. at least stay up-to-date with your arguments. my panther II eats them alive. as for the KV-5, it gets a small break in MM (but doesn't face any tank lower than any other tier VIII heavy), mostly b/c of it's horrible gun. and the Lowe, whose MM is leven less favorable than the KV-5, has the worst win % of any tier VIII heavy tank.

i'm not going to spend any more time to continue shooting holes (so to speak) in your unsubstantiated claims. i'd rather let the players decide. my only wish was to prevent anyone coming to these forums to learn about the game being scared away due to some disgruntled tanker who either didn't like the game or didn't have the skill or time to play it properly. it's the same song from some of you: "it's a pay 2 win game!" play something else while the rest of us EARN our tanks and pulverize the "wallet warriors"...

i really hope there are no hard feelings. i respect your arguments and sympathize with your claims. go ahead and get the last word in if you feel the need...i've made my peace.

and as some of us like to say in the chat box before battle:

gl hf hh (good luck, have fun, happy hunting)

o7 (salute)

• DomestoDomesto Member Posts: 110

Pure pay to win no skill RNG game.

One game mode on small maps over and over and over and over and over = very boring.

Edit

smart phone typo's

the Type 59's matchmaking was changed and is NO LONGER favorable...it is exactly the same as any other tier VIII medium tank. it is also no longer for sale. at least stay up-to-date with your arguments. my panther II eats them alive. as for the KV-5, it gets a small break in MM (but doesn't face any tank lower than any other tier VIII heavy), mostly b/c of it's horrible gun. and the Lowe, whose MM is leven less favorable than the KV-5, has the worst win % of any tier VIII heavy tank.

i'm not going to spend any more time to continue shooting holes (so to speak) in your unsubstantiated claims. i'd rather let the players decide. my only wish was to prevent anyone coming to these forums to learn about the game being scared away due to some disgruntled tanker who either didn't like the game or didn't have the skill or time to play it properly. it's the same song from some of you: "it's a pay 2 win game!" play something else while the rest of us EARN our tanks and pulverize the "wallet warriors"...

i really hope there are no hard feelings. i respect your arguments and sympathize with your claims. go ahead and get the last word in if you feel the need...i've made my peace.

and as some of us like to say in the chat box before battle:

gl hf hh (good luck, have fun, happy hunting)

o7 (salute)

Read real slow what I highlighted in red that you wrote.

You made my point and with 20K players on the NA server, I would say they players have decided like you said.

We agree to disagree image

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

Sounds like the game hasnt changed since beta with its "pay for new FOTM 2win" model (aka level it faster with money or you wont have much time to enlarge you e-peen until the FOTM is fixed).

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• choxunchoxun Member Posts: 11

"You made my point and with 20K players on the NA server, I would say they players have decided like you said"

You do realize that 13 years ago when EQ launched that 20K was considered a failure? So WG has taken a leap backwards over 13 years and calling that a success??

The game is a craptastic, boring, p2w fps with no variation at all. Their version of "end game" is a rehased version of RISK which is a 40 yo game and that they don't have the rights to. Says a lot if Parker Bros. and the Chinese gold farmers won't waste their time with the game.

Delta Force in 1998 had much more variation then this game does and had more people playing it. Your comments sure are something to be proud of.

"My game is worse then a f2p game over a decade ago".....that should turn on the investors.

Originally posted by choxun

"You made my point and with 20K players on the NA server, I would say they players have decided like you said"

You do realize that 13 years ago when EQ launched that 20K was considered a failure? So WG has taken a leap backwards over 13 years and calling that a success??

The game is a craptastic, boring, p2w fps with no variation at all. Their version of "end game" is a rehased version of RISK which is a 40 yo game and that they don't have the rights to. Says a lot if Parker Bros. and the Chinese gold farmers won't waste their time with the game.

Delta Force in 1998 had much more variation then this game does and had more people playing it. Your comments sure are something to be proud of.

"My game is worse then a f2p game over a decade ago".....that should turn on the investors.

regardless whether you believe the game is boring or pay 2 win (i think it is neither) it is very, very successful, especially in russia and europe. the 10-20k (hardly unhealthy for concurrent use) on the NA server at any one time is not indicative of the other servers worldwide. 

from a gamesindustry international report last week...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-19-world-of-tanks-monthly-profits-hitting-double-digit-millions

Free-to-play MMO World of Tanks is generating "double digit" million dollar revenues a month, according to Wargaming CEO Victor Kislyi.

As the game has grown to reach over 20 million registered users, developer Wargaming.net has scaled with it - 18 months ago the business consisted of 120 employees primarily based in Minsk. Today it is approaching 800 staff around the globe.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

I got to admit, i put more hours in the game than any game I own and I own a shit load of games.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

The people that claim this game is Pay to Win have not played it. In general play the "gold" ammo is not all that useful and the "elite" tanks might generate credits quicker but as far as being actually better tanks, sorry that is not true.

You can play this game 100% free and be VERY competitive.