Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did BioWare spend all of their money on?

Comments

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by ktanner3

i was really confused by this too... I think hes confusing TERA for GW2?

Maybe?

cus of the little girl race...

Man, I made a female toon. A few of them, and they're quite attractive and awesome but.. Elin or whatever they're called? I just feel...it feels wrong.

It's so funny because the official forums have a mini-argument because En Masse doctored the naked model of this toon and people are trying to to come up with complaints for why that's bad, or how the naked model should be toggle-able. In the end...it's creepy.

Female elf though? She hot.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Maybe?

Man, I made a female toon. A few of them, and they're quite attractive and awesome but.. Elin or whatever they're called? I just feel...it feels wrong.

It's so funny because the official forums have a mini-argument because En Masse doctored the naked model of this toon and people are trying to to come up with complaints for why that's bad, or how the naked model should be toggle-able. In the end...it's creepy.

Female elf though? She hot.

wat?  I'm confused by what en masse did?

I heard they made it so all their outfits were far more conservative and less skimpy, which in my opinion is a good thing, but at the same time its like.. how long are you going to spend on this really?

I agree its not exactly my thing, but some people like playing with little girl dolls, and for non creepy reasons, or so I have to believe...  I mean I see people with strawberry shortcake stickers and dolls in their cars when I go shopping, i'm assuming some of those people would be the ones who are rolling an Elim, as they are probably "really freaking cute" in their eyes.

To each their own.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

[mod edit]

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

wat?  I'm confused by what en masse did?

I heard they made it so all their outfits were far more conservative and less skimpy, which in my opinion is a good thing, but at the same time its like.. how long are you going to spend on this really?

I agree its not exactly my thing, but some people like playing with little girl dolls, and for non creepy reasons, or so I have to believe...  I mean I see people with strawberry shortcake stickers and dolls in their cars when I go shopping, i'm assuming some of those people would be the ones who are rolling an Elim, as they are probably "really freaking cute" in their eyes.

To each their own.

I think it only applied it to Elin but honestly I didn't strip any of my characters down and think EME is ignoring those threads as much as most players. There's more important things to be done for Westernization then caring what characters look like topless, bottmless, or gearless.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I feel the same way. The games that flamers on this site hold up as the gold standard were pieces of sh*t in my mind, so it's no wonder they don't like this game. Some of them griped about this game for many months before release yet still bought the thing, which makes me question whether or not they suffer from a gamer's version of battered wife's syndrome.

I do have to ask you about that last part. I'm having too much fun in TOR to give a rat's *ss about another game's development, so could you explain what you mean by  the pedophilia nature of the GW2 devs?

Maybe?

That's just creepy. Pandas is one thing(WOW,) But a race of little girls.... those people need to see a therapist.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by clbembry

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by Votan

this is probably the best game ever made for the solo player.  

Elder Scrolls?

KOTOR?

The Witcher?

REALLY? SWTOR is the best single player game ever?

So I take it you've never played a single player game?

I'd go as far as saying its the best game ever. Period.

I had so much more fun on this earlier SW game and I'm sure it didn't cost millions to produce - even back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAU7NRalMsQ

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Basically you're comparing a game that you've played to one that you haven't. Videos can make any turd look good.

This thread is worthless.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

What I dont get is the pvp part of the game. Honestly go and play for half an hour Team Fortress II which is f2p since a while and you have more fun and more variety than in swtor. You have even 12v12 instead of 8v8 and bigger Battleground maps. 

This is what I dont understand with such a budget.

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Basically you're comparing a game that you've played to one that you haven't. Videos can make any turd look good.

This thread is worthless.

Take away the Guild Wars 2 comparison and the question remains just as legitament.

Your post is worthless.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I read they spent alot on replacing Spacebars that there testers wore out ...

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

They've spend most of their money on booze, drugs and women. The rest they wasted on SWTOR.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Scorchien

I read they spent alot on replacing Spacebars that there testers wore out ...

This wins post of the day.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by eHug

eHug: That's why SWTOR often feels like WoW in space with cutscenes, true. But I don't think generalizing the mmo community in the way you do it really helps your arguments. There's not much that the old school mmorpg croud that prefers choice and freedom in gaming can play right now, so what reaction do you expect when they get the 232th loveless themepark pseudo mmo into their hands and they are not SW nerds like me? :P 

What do you expect?  If nothing's going to satisfy, and you (the general "pissed off MMO vet" you :) ) know every MMO that comes out is going to be shit in your eyes, then stop playing MMOs and cluttering up bandwidth with pointless qq-ing about things you can't change.

Wasn't it always obvious that this game would be "KOTOR with mates"? 

It's got 8 unique stories, with countless variations depending on D/L choices, and also variations in response to your character in zone quests and side quests, almost all of which can be experienced as a group.

That is a ton of multiplayer content.  If it's not the type of multiplayer content you're interested in, fair enough - but what else did you expect from BioWare, except some sort of attempt to introduce what they're good at into an MMO context?

As to the "standard MMO" side of things, in terms of gameplay, the game is bound to get better over time, most MMOs do.   If you like what the rest of the game offers then I guess you'll be able to hang in with the game as it improves, if not, not.  There was never any point in BW trying to innovate in areas where other companies excel (e.g. Blizzard/Arenanet with competitive gameplay).  All they can do is copy, and iterate, and hopefully over time refine in their own way.  The "standard MMO" stuff in SWTOR is good enough to be getting on with.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by dinams

*snip*

I actually remember people making budgets higher until louse claimed 300 million-ish

It ranged from 150 million to 500 million

The guy in charge of TOR said that they aimed for $150M but they ran into some unexpected costs. The actual cost is officially over $200M but a "lot" less than $300M. Estimates of $500M to $750M also include a big chunck of what EA paid for BW. While technically  that cost can't be seen as part of the cost of developing TOR, part of it is what EA paid for TOR.

imageimage
  • TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by clbembry

After giving SWTOR it's fair shot I'm left wondering, what in gods great gullet did they spend all of their money on? They had, what, a 200 million dollar budget?

Here's SWTOR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ayDPTpGRbk

And heres GW2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjLmknda6_Q&feature=plcp&context=C39000e4UDOEgsToPDskKp6CRv674jDJmrhyFsW9E5

I'm not a GW2 fanboy, but after comparing the two videos I'm beginning to wonder how much money BioWare spent [mod edit]

SWTOR is a beta video........ better graphics :(

but i will say that GW2 video just totally wigged me out i want it BAD NOW! i'm a graphics fanatic. and OMG.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by gurugeorge

eHug: That's why SWTOR often feels like WoW in space with cutscenes, true. But I don't think generalizing the mmo community in the way you do it really helps your arguments. There's not much that the old school mmorpg croud that prefers choice and freedom in gaming can play right now, so what reaction do you expect when they get the 232th loveless themepark pseudo mmo into their hands and they are not SW nerds like me? :P 

gurugeorge: What do you expect?  If nothing's going to satisfy, and you (the general "pissed off MMO vet" you :) ) know every MMO that comes out is going to be shit in your eyes, then stop playing MMOs and cluttering up bandwidth with pointless qq-ing about things you can't change.

eHug: I've played Aion for 2 years without much complaint aside of exploiters ruling the game after that time. Before that I've player Lineage 2 for about 4 years before the game changed to something that wasn't really enjoyable to me. I played EvE and loved it. And so on. And you call me a "general pissed off mmo vet"? Sorry, but to me it looks like you can't bear any critics on something you like. I enjoyed lots of good MMOs, the "mostly single player" game SWTOR wasn't one of them. I am still playing it for the single player parts, but the MMO elements are more like a bad joke.

gurugeorge: Wasn't it always obvious that this game would be "KOTOR with mates"? 

eHug: KOTOR is far superior in my opinion. Did you ever play it?

gurugeorge: It's got 8 unique stories, with countless variations depending on D/L choices, and also variations in response to your character in zone quests and side quests, almost all of which can be experienced as a group.

eHug: I played a Sith Sorc 100% light side and another 100% dark side. To tell the truth I didn't see much variations. Does it start after level 35? Because that's where I got with my first sorc before a game breaking compaign quest bug that EA/Bioware couldn't fix forced me to restart at level 1.

gurugeorge: That is a ton of multiplayer content.  If it's not the type of multiplayer content you're interested in, fair enough - but what else did you expect from BioWare, except some sort of attempt to introduce what they're good at into an MMO context?

eHug: Yes you can do it as multiplayer. There's not the slightest need to do so, though. The game is piss easy already and if you group, it gets so easy that it feels like SWTOR is trying to compete successfully with Valium.

As to the "standard MMO" side of things, in terms of gameplay, the game is bound to get better over time, most MMOs do.   If you like what the rest of the game offers then I guess you'll be able to hang in with the game as it improves, if not, not.  There was never any point in BW trying to innovate in areas where other companies excel (e.g. Blizzard/Arenanet with competitive gameplay).  All they can do is copy, and iterate, and hopefully over time refine in their own way.  The "standard MMO" stuff in SWTOR is good enough to be getting on with.

eHug: If it wasn't for the single player stuff that I somehow like and me being a SW nerd I would name SWTOR as one of the worst MMORPGs I've ever played. Still I will play it for a few more weeks to see how the Ops story ends. But after that? I have my doubts i'll keep paying monthly fees to play a "mostly single player" game.

LFG!
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

VO and advertsing most likely but someone forgot to inform them that that these only work if you make a good mmo.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by gurugeorge

gurugeorge: What do you expect?  If nothing's going to satisfy, and you (the general "pissed off MMO vet" you :) ) know every MMO that comes out is going to be shit in your eyes, then stop playing MMOs and cluttering up bandwidth with pointless qq-ing about things you can't change.

eHug: I've played Aion for 2 years without much complaint aside of exploiters ruling the game after that time. Before that I've player Lineage 2 for about 4 years before the game changed to something that wasn't really enjoyable to me. I played EvE and loved it. And so on. And you call me a "general pissed off mmo vet"? Sorry, but to me it looks like you can't bear any critics on something you like. I enjoyed lots of good MMOs, the "mostly single player" game SWTOR wasn't one of them. I am still playing it for the single player parts, but the MMO elements are more like a bad joke.

gurugeorge: Wasn't it always obvious that this game would be "KOTOR with mates"? 

eHug: KOTOR is far superior in my opinion. Did you ever play it?

gurugeorge: It's got 8 unique stories, with countless variations depending on D/L choices, and also variations in response to your character in zone quests and side quests, almost all of which can be experienced as a group.

eHug: I played a Sith Sorc 100% light side and another 100% dark side. To tell the truth I didn't see much variations. Does it start after level 35? Because that's where I got with my first sorc before a game breaking compaign quest bug that EA/Bioware couldn't fix forced me to restart at level 1.

gurugeorge: That is a ton of multiplayer content.  If it's not the type of multiplayer content you're interested in, fair enough - but what else did you expect from BioWare, except some sort of attempt to introduce what they're good at into an MMO context?

eHug: Yes you can do it as multiplayer. There's not the slightest need to do so, though. The game is piss easy already and if you group, it gets so easy that it feels like SWTOR is trying to compete successfully with Valium.

eHug: If it wasn't for the single player stuff that I somehow like and me being a SW nerd I would name SWTOR as one of the worst MMORPGs I've ever played. Still I will play it for a few more weeks to see how the Ops story ends. But after that? I have my doubts i'll keep paying monthly fees to play a "mostly single player" game.

You seem to think an MMO is simply an MMO, i.e they are all the same. Going from EvE, Lin2 and Aion to SWTOR is a huge shift in style of game.

1 argument I have never understood on the grouping issue; so you can only enjoy grouping if it is forced upon everyone and not a choice? Why? There are plenty of people that play 'solo friendly' mmos that prefer to group....

SWTOR isn't a "BAD" mmorpg, it's simply a little different in the same way garlic chicken isn't bad, it's just not to everyones taste.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by nikoliath

You seem to think an MMO is simply an MMO, i.e they are all the same. Going from EvE, Lin2 and Aion to SWTOR is a huge shift in style of game.

1 argument I have never understood on the grouping issue; so you can only enjoy grouping if it is forced upon everyone and not a choice? Why? There are plenty of people that play 'solo friendly' mmos that prefer to group....

SWTOR isn't a "BAD" mmorpg, it's simply a little different in the same way garlic chicken isn't bad, it's just not to everyones taste.

SWTOR is a "bad" MMO period.. I know you don't agree but many do. It's not even a good game overall.. I stopped playing and went back to skyrim since it's mod mania going on now... and  if I want to play a single player game why play swtor? there are tons of way better single player games out there.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Catering for their voice actors, cut-scene animators,  triple option Q&A designers, and they also filed for a patent on purple lightning!

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

**snip**

It's not a good MMO either. 

In regards of food TOR is a fast food restaurant with air conditioning but without cold drinks nor fries and you can't seat to eat either.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Aerowyn

SWTOR is a "bad" MMO period.. I know you don't agree but many do. It's not even a good game overall.. I stopped playing and went back to skyrim since it's mod mania going on now... and  if I want to play a single player game why play swtor? there are tons of way better single player games out there.

and many don't agree with you, preiod. SWTOR is not a single player game, I know you don't agree but many do.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Aerowyn

and many don't agree with you, preiod. SWTOR is not a single player game, I know you don't agree but many do.

and some people loved final fantasy XIV even at launch, some people still love warhammer online, some people love duke nukem forever, some people loved tabula rasa.. doesn't make any of those games any good.

Also about the single player thing the issue is they focused way to much on the sinlge player aspect. That's fine if that's what you enjoy but for an MMO I enjoy a more fleshed out group/guild experience which I don't find in swtor.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Bioware didn't really "nail" the how to bring KOTOR/Mass Effect/Dragon Age experience to an MMO. What they did is take WoW ( of course a neutered and watered down version of WoW ) and put a linear quest experience in with voiceovers where decisions make little to no difference other than a "bad" meter and some gear choices. The real differentiating attributes of typical Bioware Storytelling are missing ( companion stories that have impact for one, your alignment was big in the past ).

I think X years ago when we all found out about  Bioware doing this ( and word came out around their approach ) it was a bit of a head scratcher regarding "how could they pull this off ?"

However, the foundation is in place and they certainly have a ton of $$ behind SWTOR so maybe they can somehow complete that vision.. Maybe an expansion ? Who knows.

I suppose the scary part is, do they think that what we see is what they inteded/intend ? If so, well then I shall never return, sadly.

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120