Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Sky Lance Weapon Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment and the PlanetSide 2 dev team have released a new trailer showing the progressive design of the Sky Lance anti-air weapon prototype. Sky Lance was created to combat Galaxy hot-drops on friendly facilities with a single shot.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

....and i have trouble drawing trees

Uhh... what?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

That is interesting they texture a 2D picture of the 3D model before texturing the actual model.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Photoshop is ridiculously powerful.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Show off

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I expected to see the weapon in action   ....not how it was created .

• VikingLegionVikingLegion Member Posts: 30

hopefully these dont kill gal drops, 1 shot kill on a gal? hot damn

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Imagine having to do images like this for an entire MMO ? Now you know why MMOs cost a shit ton and take forever to develop the art alone takes years.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Not a weapon you want to use if you wish to have something left of your enemies corpse to teabag.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I have such envy for artists.  I always wanted to be an artist when I was young but I never had the talent for it.

Nice video.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

as for the 1 shot on galaxies, I'm sure they are smart enough to make it a charge fire weapon with an very slow reload/recharge time.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by William12

Imagine having to do images like this for an entire MMO ? Now you know why MMOs cost a shit ton and take forever to develop the art alone takes years.

what are you talking about. That only took him 3:53 minutes to make.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

Except the video was always in fast forward mode and he commented as it was done.  That was not real time.

• shade273shade273 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by William12

You'd be surprised what a good artist can do in (full process from concept to working model) 3 to 5 days.

But as you said-imagine having to do this for EVERYTHING.  Every weapon, every piece of armor, every building, every tree, every rock-every time you change factions or climate, a new color scheme and design kicks in.  You get the picture-its long and tedious.  Then when a developer says do it again because it needs to be updated for a new type of resource (Korriban from SWTOR comes to mind, it was edited 3+ years after developement due to some tech changes)...

Ya, people don't appreciate these little details.  Just sayin'.

ps-Just to clarify, good post-I'm not saying this in a cynical/satirical state of mind.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Originally posted by feena750

Except the video was always in fast forward mode and he commented as it was done.  That was not real time.

you dont say?

So What Now?

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by wormywyrm

That is interesting they texture a 2D picture of the 3D model before texturing the actual model.

No that is just a concept 2d image prototype.

He took it from a draft into 3d and then to 2d to scale things incase it is used for final they have some idea then to use the model and 2d image textures as a reference incase the prototype concept passes for development.