Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So it's the second payment month for SWTOR and the population continues to decline.

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by LadyNoh

actually im pretty sure thats why they released it when they did. think about it, releasing something like SWTOR inbetween GW2, Planetside2, TSW, and Archage. SWTOR can only really land the traditional gamer card, and really they have to compete for WoW with that and WoW has a massive advantage with their already massive playerbase, and their player base doesnt want to lose all the years they put into their characters.

Thus they released it early than expected to try and pull back in some profit atleast. 

Definitely makes sense when you put it that way. Their initial sales are irrefutably solid/exceptional.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by aesperus

TOR is fun for what it is, but it has come down a long way from the pedistal people tried to place it on at launch.

I wouldn't go that far.  It's unfair.  ToR is GOOD.  It just isn't GREAT.  It isn't what I expected and it's not what the fan base expected.  I spent a LOT of money on the game to not be playing it by the end of the 30 days. It SADDENS me.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

If SWTOR was released 2010 instead of 2011 it would have been much more successful. Sorry guys this game is gonna fall simply due to timing.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by GMan3

If you knew corporate law in the slightest, you would realise that lying to investors is a crime.  Punishable with fines AND prison time for not only the person telling the lie, but all individuals involved in the lie all the way up to and including the CEO.  It's part of the reason the former Governor Corzine is in so much trouble.  He knew his company had problems and lied to investors about it.  So in short, EA Could be lying, but it is unlikely since it is so easy to be caught and punished.  It only takes one upset investor after all to send the whole house of cards tumbling down.

For one, there is a bit of a grey area when it comes to this subject. Proving such a crime isn't always so cut and dry.

For two, we have NO idea what promises EA made to it's investors. For all we know, they merely promised a return on investment + X% interest. That's it. With the amount of money this game has generated on box sales alone, I'm sure they more than met that goal. They may not have exceeded it to the point they were hoping, but I'm sure the investors still got their money's worth.

Also, keep in mind that investing is also a risk. If an investment turns out poorly, a company is not necessarily obligated to hold up to the initial promise, provided there is no proveable case of missuse of funds (ie hording money that should be going to the investors first). I do not think EA is anywhere near this predicament, else we would be hearing about it. However it does happen, and there are cases where investors lose money on their investment, it's not always a guarunteed profit.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by jacklo

Originally posted by Crynswind

I wonder what you guys are going to say when Tortanic starts to merge servers...

"No, you don't get it, they are TRIAL SERVERS, the game is GROWING"

I'll tell you what they'll say right now...

They'll say that all the haters ruined a good game and if it wasn't for us, things would have been so much better.

Don't expect someone with that mindset to ever admit defeat.

Pretty much sum it up Jacklo. Sadly based on past experiences. Btw I love how viable criticisms of real short comings and faults that an mmo-rpg are exhibiting are written off as posters being haters or trolls. Hey if this wasn't my cup of tea or glass of port I'd say so and I'd say way. Problem is normally this is my glass of port. Sadly Bioware screwed the hooch and screwed hard. The repeated laundry list of short comings is not changing and no matter how much the blind fanatics froth at the mouth over our valid criticisms won't change the fact that they exist.

They act like we never wanted this game to be good that we hate it or always hated it. Sorry, I've hated very few things in my long life so far, and that included when I've had to use weapons while in the military. Hate is a strong and negative emotion that I really just can't keep going. I've never hated a game nor will I ever for that matter. Now do I get angry or happy or disgusted? Sure, you bet. I honestly don't think most of these players attacking us with the term "haters" truly understand what that term or state of mind really means. Like love, the term hate gets tossed around far to easily in my opinion. Lessoning the meaning for either I'll add.

Wow, need to wrap this up, started doing a meandering, rambling stream of thought sort of post. Anyhow I tend to agree with you Jacklo, there is no reasoning with some people. In this case those who assume we are all haters for being critical of what we don't appreciate when it comes to the state of this game. They just want us to go away and stop creating doubt.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Originally posted by Crynswind

I wonder what you guys are going to say when Tortanic starts to merge servers...

"No, you don't get it, they are TRIAL SERVERS, the game is GROWING"

I'll tell you what they'll say right now...

They'll say that all the haters ruined a good game and if it wasn't for us, things would have been so much better.

Don't expect someone with that mindset to ever admit defeat.

Pretty much sum it up Jacklo. Sadly based on past experiences. Btw I love how viable criticisms of real short comings and faults that an mmo-rpg are exhibiting are written off as posters being haters or trolls. Hey if this wasn't my cup of tea or glass of port I'd say so and I'd say way. Problem is normally this is my glass of port. Sadly Bioware screwed the hooch and screwed hard. The repeated laundry list of short comings is not changing and no matter how much the blind fanatics froth at the mouth over our valid criticisms won't change the fact that they exist.

They act like we never wanted this game to be good that we hate it or always hated it. Sorry, I've hated very few things in my long life so far, and that included when I've had to use weapons while in the military. Hate is a strong and negative emotion that I really just can't keep going. I've never hated a game nor will I ever for that matter. Now do I get angry or happy or disgusted? Sure, you bet. I honestly don't think most of these players attacking us with the term "haters" truly understand what that term or state of mind really means. Like love, the term hate gets tossed around far to easily in my opinion. Lessoning the meaning for either I'll add.

Wow, need to wrap this up, started doing a meandering, rambling stream of thought sort of post. Anyhow I tend to agree with you Jacklo, there is no reasoning with some people. In this case those who assume we are all haters for being critical of what we don't appreciate when it comes to the state of this game. They just want us to go away and stop creating doubt.

Well said.

I think most people have the same sentiment. I didn't start off as a hater, I wouldn't have bought the game if that was the case. Much like everybody else I would imagine.

Yes I'm disapointed about how it turned out. I've got to say I raised my concerns during the last beta weekend when they only had 12 days or so until "early access". There was so much needed fixing I thought they just didn't have time, although they told us what they had on the servers at that time was not the latest code.

They've had 2 months to fix some pretty game breaking issues and I see no real progress at all.

I love Star Wars and this game had every chance to be "the one". Sadly it's barely an mmo in my eyes and certainly doesn't deserve to be out of beta status.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Puremallace

So his theory is go sit in Stormwind or Org for the next 7 months waiting for Pandaland while throwing money at Blizzard monthly for hotfixes and no new content? His logic really escapes me, but that is typical when talking about WoW players.

WoW players do not exactly have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizng TOR.

As opposed to throwing money at EA while running in a circle in a tiny space station?

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

the population continues to decline because 90 percent of them were probably not worth keeping anyway

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

the population continues to decline because 90 percent of them were probably not worth keeping anyway

As a business, I'd take the 90% over what's left.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

meh

id take a good community,over a bunch of whiney spoiled brats for a community that want it there way or there gonna unsubscribe

even if that means playing a game that doesnt really have much people playing it

meh

id take a good community,over a bunch of whiney spoiled brats for a community that want it there way or there gonna unsubscribe

even if that means playing a game that doesnt really have much people playing it

Congratulations, you found your game.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Have yet to see any proof of server decline... just random player accounts at random times with nothing measured against them. On Lord Adraas we had over 200 people in fleet at 330am this past Tuesday. If I were to apply the logic of the naysayers here, the game *must* be at 6 million subs. I know it's not though, because random samples by random people with zero context =/= data. Most of the forum naysayers here need classes in statistics and logic.

BW: "SWTOR continues to gain customers."
    This forum a few hours later: "WHY is SWTOR losing so many customers? Discuss"

ROFFLE

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

meh

That would be great if Bioware didn't need those subscription dollars, but if too many players leave, how will a small community pay the bills? (especially for those frequent updates Bioware wants to do)

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

meh

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we call a delusional fanboy.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

meh

Don't worry.  SWTOR will have to lose about 1000% of its customers to fall down to the sub level of all the other non-WoW MMOs.

It's pretty funny how people are really sure the game has tanked and have no facts to support their theory.  And they are so pathetically bored that they would rather spend their time ruining this forum for everybody else than play something they actually enjoy.

So ya, good riddance.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

meh

Unfortunately, what you ended up with was a community that chastises anyone with valid critisizm and is unable to see obvious faults

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Sorry to tell you this but the only card SWTOR brings to the table in its superiority is something that its the only game in the field worth playing it for, which is Sci Fi PvE. in every other respect its dominated by whats to be released. at this point it can only hope they flop and people jump to the lesser of 2 evils. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Chieftan

Don't worry.  SWTOR will have to lose about 1000% of its customers to fall down to the sub level of all the other non-WoW MMOs.

It's pretty funny how people are really sure the game has tanked and have no facts to support their theory.  And they are so pathetically bored that they would rather spend their time ruining this forum for everybody else than play something they actually enjoy.

So ya, good riddance.

YA! Look at all this growth!

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

meh

So ya, good riddance.

I think you don't know how percentages work...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Have yet to see any proof of server decline... just random player accounts at random times with nothing measured against them. On Lord Adraas we had over 200 people in fleet at 330am this past Tuesday. If I were to apply the logic of the naysayers here, the game *must* be at 6 million subs. I know it's not though, because random samples by random people with zero context =/= data. Most of the forum naysayers here need classes in statistics and logic. BW: "SWTOR continues to gain customers." This forum a few hours later: "WHY is SWTOR losing so many customers? Discuss" ROFFLE

Any proof? There are plenty that have commented on their servers. Oh...I see but you think only yours matters and no one else.

Okay.

Have fun in that bubble.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

So ya, good riddance.

Yeah, I'm sure a person saying if their game lost a 1000% of their population it would have the same as non-WoW mmos is clearly concerned about facts.

I hope not. They may actually want to start getting concerned about their mathematical skills instead. Seems a much more pressing issue in need of reflection.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Creslin321

meh

So ya, good riddance.

I think you don't know how percentages work...

I'm 200% sure he is 150% correct.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

meh

So ya, good riddance.

Evidence? Pfft! Who needs it? Just randomly state your point in the subject line and throw out some half-baked screenshots of random crap. If people want to believe it, they will.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Evidence? Pfft! Who needs it? Just randomly state your point in the subject line and throw out some half-baked screenshots of random crap. If people want to believe it, they will.

You don't want to hear it anyways so why bother? You provide the same supposed evidence as them yet yours is somehow the truth and theirs isn't.

You don't seriously think you're fooling anyone do you? Or more importantly are you even aware of this?

But there is evidence. You just choose not to accept it

This discussion has been closed.