Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games that You play for Years (A Positive Thread)

124»

Comments

• CognitoCognito Member Posts: 198

I'm thinking myself pretty young when it comes down to this industry to be honest, but I still had my favourites.

Diablo 2:LOD - Loved it. Played through that as every character, several times. Specially worth the money as I got the game and the expansion for only £10!

Fable:The Lost Chapters - again, another love. Got me all hyped for the second just from having played the first. I was all about shelling out a silly amount of money for all the extras, collectors edition etc... turned out to not be worth it. The first still sticks with me.

Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos & The Frozen Throne - my first RTS! oh the memories! And that map editor? I've found non that can match it.

Runescape - I'm not even embaressed to say, I spent so many hours playing this, returning time and time again, it's just silly.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head... so they must be the ones that made the most impact...

actually looks like a weird list to me now...

Put through the personal paces of my crippled fingers.

• RyrothRyroth Member Posts: 17

dynasty warriors series (fun hack n slash)

civ series

total war series

mount and blade (withs mods)

pokemon games (can never get to old to play pokemon)

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Any "Good" Post and Including Street Fighter 2 2D Fighting Game - I'm a pretty avid fighting game play and I tend to play older ones from time to time.  They never get old and most have solid mechanics to this day.

Good Turn Based Strategy (X-COM, Jagged Alliance, Fire Emblem, Tactics games) - Very fun games to come back to.  Get tons of enjoyment out of them.

RPGs - There are plenty to come back to from older titles like Bard's Tale and Might and Magic, to SNES JRPGs, to PSX RPGs, to even more modern titles.

I also still play N64, Gamecube, and Xbox titles from time to time no matter what genre.  Mario 64 is one of the my favorite all time games for instance and I tend to revisit it.  Also a pretty big fan of Goldeneye 64.  Still, the 3 genres above are the ones I find easiest to come back to.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

Tecmo Bowl

Super Mario Brothers 3

Tetris

Link to the Past

Megaman 2

Megaman X

Quest for Glory 1/5

Wizardry 7

Starcraft 1

Heroes of Might and Magic 1

Dragon Quest 8

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

MMORPG

Asheron's Call 1 - About three years with this, and I'm sorry to say no other MMORPG has been able to grab my attention like that since. Although SWG was a contender until it was WoWified.

I still play online golf once every two or three weeks with some friends. And have for about 10 years now.

Poker - The U.S. brick and mortar gambling lobby bribed their way into killing this one off. There are still ways to play, but it's just not the same anymore.

Falcon 4.0 - count me in this camp as well. Both online and off. And yes, I have that mythical original manual too!

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

i think SoE must have build a house with my money alone lol .

Games i have subbed to (even if on and off) but total at least 3 years in sub time

EQ1

EQ2

Planetside 

SWG

Games i played on and off over a period of at least 3 years but never subbed up to 36 months

UO

DAoC

WoW

AC2

Vanguard

order in which i like the games i go EQ1,DAoC,planetside,EQ2,swg,vanguard,AC2,WoW.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

DAOC - I started playing this game in 2002. I had so much fun playing Halo in Co-Op mode that it made me wonder if there were games that allowed you to play with other people all the time. I went to the store and looked at PC games, because I just got my first PC and seen two games on the shelf. EQ and DAoC. I looked at the box art, read their descriptions, and went with DAoC because it promised the ability to war with other players and conquer castles and capture and hold relics. I didn't even know these games were called MMORPG's and didn't learn they were apart of this genre I never heard of until years after I started playing. Hell, I didn't even know about this website until 2005 and didn't know any other MMORPG's even existed.

Starting a new character in DAoC was magical. There was this large world that always existed, whether you were online or not, and you could actually play with other people without a split screen!. To top things off, it took a very long time to level up in the game and to experience everything the game had to offer. No more playing RPG's for a month before you beat it and then wasting another $60 on the next game.

Grouping was the norm, so it was very easy to form groups. Mob grinding and dungeon crawling with your group was a blast and addictive. There was downtime, so group members spoke with each other and actually got to know the community they were a part of. PvP, called RvR, was a blast. Just like with grouping, you brought whoever wanted to join and roamed around killing the enemy and taking their castles. BG's weren't instanced and were persistent. They weren't game matches. Crafted gear was the best you could get and gear worth wearing didn't drop in the world.

Lastly, players were proud to be a part of their realm. There wasn't any cross realm switching. People created a character and stuck with that realm for years. Realm pride was a big deal. If your relics were being attacked, players would answer the call to arms no matter the level and fight back the enemy for hours. People helped each other out selfessly, not because they shared a common goal, such as getting loot. Running across an asshat was extremely rare in my experience.

Those were good times.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Epicent

Originally posted by Tirinas

my list would include;

secret of mana series

secret of evermore

Lufia series

final fantasy series

street fighter series

zelda series

and there are probably a few more i can't recall at the moment because i just play too much games in general :P

breath of fire series, arc the lad, suikoden. this is an awesome list though.image

all this + the Tales Series

(suikoden being my favourite :p)

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by cure01

Guardian Heroes on Saturn is also an AWESOME game!

Also a part of my collection :)

Cost me about $120 on ebay to get ahold of this game a few years back. That was back before I was dirt poor :(

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

DAOC 3 years

FFXI 4 or 5 years

Darkfall 2 years

All three of these had some good similar stuff, it's hard to see, but it's there.

non MMO

Halo, the whole time from original release through halo 3. Also the only FPS i managed to play the singleplayer of

CS only FPS I played for prob 2 or 3 years

Civ 2 and on, its awesome.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Warcraft 3

Tactics Ogre for the  ps1

Legend of Mana  for the ps1

Seiken Dansetsu 3

Romance of the three kingdoms, Terraria, Wind Waker, Chocobo Racing ,San Andreas

Megaman Legends 1 and 2 (FFS WHY THEY HAVE TO CANCEL 3!), Final Fantasy 8 (mostly cuz of the card game.  ITs addicting)

Sonic Adventure 2 (CHAO IS FTW),  Arc The Lad Collection,  Makai Kingdom (Id say disgaea but I love the gridless makai kingdom), PSO

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**