Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Q&A adresses LFG tool, new animations, quicker traveling, crafting and performance issues

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

http://www.swtor.com/node/313734

Really impressive to see Bioware listening to it's fanbase and doing this Q&A weekly for us.

Key points are

* LFG Tool to be added that "quickly help put groups together while still offering the flexibility to decide how you group [and with whom] "

* Quicker traveling between your ship and planets..."we've also been looking for other ways to get people from point A to point B with greater haste. One such feature will specifically affect planets that have Orbital Stations instead of Space Ports such as: Tython, Korriban, Hoth, and Belsavis. We'll be adding an option for players to go directly to their ships from the surface shuttles as opposed to having them run through the Orbital Station to their airlocks"

* Large changes to Crafting to make more than just biochem relevant for end game..."With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots, new endgame schematics, new color crystals, expanded and improved research and reverse engineering and much more (we're up to 4 pages of crew skill related patch notes in 1.2. alone)"

* Adressing performance issues..."You should see evidence of this work as soon as Patch 1.1.5, when we will be introducing a new 'very low' setting to shader quality, which should drastically increase the number of mid-to-low machines the game can run well on, especially in Warzones and Operations."

Wow, this game just keep getting better and better!

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

1.2 is make or brake for SWtoR.

The sheer amount of stuff that is supposedly going into it would make it probably the most significant patch in recent MMO history.  If they pull it off, people will take notice.  f they fail to pull it off, Bioware loses credibility they cant afford to lose now.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by teakbois

1.2 is make or brake for SWtoR.

The sheer amount of stuff that is supposedly going into it would make it probably the most significant patch in recent MMO history.  If they pull it off, people will take notice.  f they fail to pull it off, Bioware loses credibility they cant afford to lose now.

This patch has a very high Aoc feel to it, the patch that implimented the gem system.. aka the point where things went terible wrong.. granted aoc is in decent shape now but it wasnt so much the release of the game that.. broke the  game back then it was the.. (gem) crafting patch.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Time to see if the most common MMO story takes place. Game flops on start, gets momentium and has blossomed within 3 months.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Question is: will they release it in time to mitigate enough damage?

I also see the gaping, pus filled wound that is Ilum was not addressed.

they should, they have until the end of march.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Why the end of march?

Thought TSW wasnt coming ut until June and GW2 still has no release date?  TERA doesnt generally appeal to the same player base.  Im not sure if TSW does either, havent figured out the audience for that game at all, but Im curious about it nonetheless.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

The biggest problem is Ilum has nothing to do with the game itself, it is the players that are the problem.  Granted the PvP mechanics need more polishing, but PvP in the end is only a success if the players actually care to partake and partake in the spirit it is meant to be done.  Unfortunately, as is true with MOST games, kill swapping (and similar other "cheats") is easier than actually fighting each other to accomplish things in PvP.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

The biggest problem is Ilum has nothing to do with the game itself, it is the players that are the problem.  Granted the PvP mechanics need more polishing, but PvP in the end is only a success if the players actually care to partake and partake in the spirit it is meant to be done.  Unfortunately, as is true with MOST games, kill swapping (and similar other "cheats") is easier than actually fighting each other to accomplish things in PvP.

Ilum is not feasible with the current population imbalance on most servers. It's a zerg vs zerg battleground, pure and simple, seemingly thought up by a highschool aged intern.

The fact that BW is also making gear obtainable outside of dailies attests to their utter lack of direction with Ilum.

• Originally posted by teakbois

Why the end of march?

Thought TSW wasnt coming ut until June and GW2 still has no release date?  TERA doesnt generally appeal to the same player base.  Im not sure if TSW does either, havent figured out the audience for that game at all, but Im curious about it nonetheless.

the end of march because james ohlen said 1.2 is suppose to come out in march

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1217036p1.html

GN: Have updates kept you busy?

Ohlen: It's because everything is so magnified now that we have generally have millions of people playing in the game, so anything that goes wrong is much more magnified now. We have our live team on call 24/7 so we can deal with things really fast as soon as they come up. We have our weekly bug patches that we need to be on top of. We have our game updates like 1.1, where we added an expanded operation and a new flashpoint. And now we have our game update 1.2, which is coming in March and that has even more content. We've been figuring out how to get the team to go on holidays in a staggered fashion because we don't want people to be burning out.

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

Please just stop.

"Keeps getting better and better"? You mean slowly gets up to speed with the release features all other new MMOs have LAUNCHED with. Or slowly manages to fix broken features they felt they could push past launch?

I play SWTOR btw so I'm not speaking out of my rear. I PVP the crap out of that game and I am usually in the top three medal earners. I craft and I do space battles and all the rest. I can tell you the so called reaction time fixes they have rolled out do nothing. Now they add new cooldown animation choices to make ppl think that they've fixed things.

Sorry but putting a bow on a pig makes for a bow wearing pig.

This game is NOT getting better it is getting worse. Just adding things that should have already been there is not making something "better and better" it's simply bringing the game up to snuff. Once it is on par with it's competiition and making strides to improve then you can post thread like this all you want.

Rift for example was rolling out in week 2 post launch, features that took 2 or more years to get into other games. That's called making a game better and better. Put both games side by side and compare the features. I dare you. Sorry voice actiing doesn't eqaute to more than one feature. Dark Prophesy has voice acting.

For now I'm going to wager you're either a fecless fanboi, or you work for them and are trying to counter all the rage directed at the game.

Here's the most damning thing I can say. They are purposefully lying with their UI when it shows your latency. They have some function that is dropping what I'd wager to be 200+ ms from the posted latency.

If you play TF2 or Counter Strike or anything of the sort you know what letnecy feel like. You can see the gaps between what you see and what actaully is resolved by the server.

In SWTOR you can see yourself hit someone, and then see them pop 30 meters away while a hit effect is triggered on their avatar yet nothing took place other than your cooldown running. Everythime you check your letency in this situation it shows like 65 -75ms. BULL, there is no way that that much of a gap between what you do and what actaully happens with less than 100ms. You need a quarter of a second to get the type of responses we are seeing in game.

So I ask you then? If they are willing to fudge the numbers the UI shows just to make people think it is running smoother than it is, why on earth would you and do you buy into anything else they have been saying.

You know we just got a working filter for mechants two days ago? You know that EVERY machinima in the game has gross placement and timing errors? I mean what's the point of having cool machinima if everytime you have to watch a duplictae ship fly into a placeholder or duplicate item, or character running an animation loop and not being where they should be? How rookie is this release? Why are we giving BIOware a pass on this? We wouldn't take this from anyother studio, so stop with these BS posts trying to con people into how things are getting better.

They are pretty much staying thwe same and the populations are getting worse by the day.

woo hoo! a LFG tool, how revolutionary!!!

Not impressed with OP. Notice how you post nothing but a copy paste of their release with a glowing one line comment?

And why for the love of Pete do they need 6-7 hour maintenences every 3 days, most of time warning people a couple hours before?

fraud

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

good work bioware! Another huge leap closer to WoW as a wow clone!

cheerss

Originally posted by teakbois

Why the end of march?

The 3 month rule, though in truth this situation is different. i say it has until the first of the top 5 to be released titles get released, thats gonna start the race. in terms of what the game offers it has to face WoW, simply put

Innovation TSW beats SWTOR.

Fan Base, GW2 beats SWTOR (im sure there are more SW fans than GW fans but how meny of those SW fans actually game)

Dont know enough about Tera but its fantasy.

Archage (Fantasy)

and Planetside 2 beats SWTOR's PvP (this also becomes questionable, because to most players PvP is PvP. doesnt matter what era, so if they attack PvP in Fantasy either Tera or GW2 will take it apart.)

that leaves Traditional style MMO, Which goes to SWTOR vs WoW. 

SWTOR gets the Sci Fi PvE Crowd

WoW Takes Fantasy

WoW takes the existing playerbase Crowd (alot of their playes will not quit because that would be admiting their years of work was wasted)

WoW may take a hit in the Fantasy crowd due to archage, Tera and GW2

a Variable is the success of their newest expansion, as much as it annoys people that panda's are added its still questionable.

Honestly for survival SWTOR needs to cling to its Sci Fi PvE crowd right now and make sure they dont lose anyone. some PvPers will stick in for the sake of it but people who A) know about Planetside 2 and B) are hardcore PvPers will tend to jump ship.

Because i can.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

If the official forum is anything to goes by, this LFD ( together with dual spec i believe is also coming in 1.2 ), will also make alot of  players leave. 

Btw, alot of WoW players will leave wow if they do find a good game even though they have spend alot of time on their toon. Looking at all these sales from new games like war, aoc till tor. And the lost of subs in  wow, just that so far none can make them call their new home. 

RIP Orc Choppa

SWTOR does have a chance to survive, it just needs to know its target. WoW is quite a questionable game right now, so basically SWTOR's survival depends on how good they can make their game look to WoW players, and if WoW botches this expanison.

Because i can.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by nontact

Please just stop.

"Keeps getting better and better"? You mean slowly gets up to speed with the release features all other new MMOs have LAUNCHED with. Or slowly manages to fix broken features they felt they could push past launch?

Here's where you get to show everybody which MMO has ever launched with a LFD system already in place:

My youtube MMO gaming channel

well as i said above, SWTOR needs to compete with WoW because it cant compete with the others, So it needs to market to WoW players. thus take the things that WoW does well and start adding them. so yes adding new features and fixing the bugs that will keep it down. as much as people dont realize it, Games grow... alot.

Because i can.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

well as i said above, SWTOR needs to compete with WoW because it cant compete with the others, So it needs to market to WoW players. thus take the things that WoW does well and start adding them. so yes adding new features and fixing the bugs that will keep it down. as much as people dont realize it, Games grow... alot.

Its good that a game grows, it gives hope to other devs in this market . But wow have 7 years of contents under their belts, so players coming from wow, i would guess would at least have most the features implemented, tools like lfg, lfr, baber, etc...

If not they may find this game lacking and un-sub. Provided that the small world dont drive them away in the first place.

Ive written in the survey they send me, and inform them , at least to me, that i expect so much more from a game being release in 2011. You're not going against wow 7 years ago, but wow right now with even the transmog feature. They would really need to work hard and fast, at least like Trion to catch up the pace. 

Wish them luck. 

RIP Orc Choppa

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"* LFG Tool to be added that "quickly help put groups together while still offering the flexibility to decide how you group [and with whom]"

"and with whom".so basically,it does the same thing you can already do but with a push of a button

not that im complaining though,pushing a button and getting a group sounds alot better then spamming some troll ridden general chat for hours on some fleet

"So it needs to market to WoW players"

no,it doesnt.if they dont market to wow players,they leave and yet not ruin another mmo 

It cant compete with anyone else. maybe if they push their "we are the only Sci Fi PvE game on the market" they may get some more.

Because i can.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

It seems to have a good grasp on the casual solo player.

Although i wouldnt say that is a good or bad thing, especially on this forum(Where i know that will be construed to be a bad thing

Originally posted by Monorojo

It seems to have a good grasp on the casual solo player.

This also Rift's main target audience

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Sweet I'm looking forward to it. I play the game rather casually as there are a bunch of single player games I need to complete. 

"I play SWTOR btw so I'm not speaking out of my rear."

cool story bro

sounds like you shouldnt be playing it.since you obviously dont like the game

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167

It cant compete with anyone else. maybe if they push their "we are the only Sci Fi PvE game on the market" they may get some more.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that your theory is without merit; however, you must admit that a few of your assumptions are at least somewhat dubious (that planetside or TSW will succeed, for instance).  Also, I most definitely question your assertion that GW2/Anet's fanbase undeniably beats TOR/BW's.  And again I'm not saying your wrong, but rather that there is certainly much room in which to doubt your position and those arguments that are drawn from it.

To the OP, I also like those Q&A's.  Though BW and TOR deserve some criticism, you certainly can admit that they haven't gone softball on the questions they've selected to be answered.  Can they deliver on their answers is definitely another question.