Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So it's the second payment month for SWTOR and the population continues to decline.

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Both servers I made characters on only have 40 people in the fleet during peak and there isn't even enough people on Ilum to have any meaningful PVP. All my friends have all quit now because they're bored of this game as it plays too much like WoW, which they've played to death for the past 7 years. During peak time no servers are full in the EU, only a handful are Heavy, most are standard and a few are light. If you see the population on any social tool that is tracking how many people are playing like Xfire (yes I know it isn't everyone playing) you always see a massive downward trend.

It's looking more and more likely the game will drop off like all the rest which have a massive initial sucess but don't have anything to keep people sticking around for. My sub ends tomoz as they charged me late the first time and I've canceled. It was basically my experience in DCUO where you can level to 50 within a week and there is no replayability in SWTOR because you go to the same planets and do mostly the same quests. Then once you get to end level it's doing boring operations and broken PVP over and over, I just think didn't they learn anything from WoW and how boring the end game is?

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I'm out when my subscription ends next month. I'm still suffering from and reporting bugs from Beta period. Several months down the road this game may have more to offer. Maybe if the legacy system did something more than accumulate levels, I would stay longer - but it is not even implemented yet.

Too many bug fixes going on, and the game is not even whole yet.

Edited for typo fix :)

• Hicks2006Hicks2006 Member Posts: 40

i loved this game but it never fully satisfied my craving for new stuff. Ill play any starwars game good or bad just cause im a downright star wars fan boy but sorry bioware you guys need to stick to single player games. It was a fun game while it lasted though. I havent played to level 50 but thats cause leveling up seems more like a chore then anything else. I wanted this game to be revolutionairy and i still do but its lost my sub. Its just too bland and too WoWy...ish. and i hate WoW. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Well yeah, that's why people always say, "you don't really know how a sub-based MMO will do until months 3 and 6."  Subs usually are 1 month, 3 month and 6 month plans.  When a game launches, people will sub based on how much they think they will like it. At each of those intervals the pop declines if the game isn't worth playing.

Of course the months should actually be offset by the free month, meaning months 2, 4, and 7 are the test of truth.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I just got started, (level 32 Commando) but already the draw is starting to go down for me. (I'm not thrilled with the end game target I'm heading to).

I will say my son's friend who really likes SWTOR has suddenly picked up WOW once again, and his reasoning is that now that he's level 50, and actually decently geared there isn't much of interest for him to do for now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, I just got started, (level 32 Commando) but already the draw is starting to go down for me. (I'm not thrilled with the end game target I'm heading to).

I will say my son's friend who really likes SWTOR has suddenly picked up WOW once again, and his reasoning is that now that he's level 50, and actually decently geared there isn't much of interest for him to do for now.

I told you so.. Now come back to EvE... were you belong.. Or Come play TERA with me :) its a good game... If you are tired of the sandbox, but want more community tools then SWTOR will ever have....

And if you want to play a smash hit game, that will have millions of people playing Pick up GW2 when it comes out...

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

For me this is the reason why I wait for reviews to come out before I buy most mmo. I like bioware as a company but its rather sad SWTOR hasnt be as awesome as the IP could have been. They had access to one of the most loved IP of all time. How could they butcher it? xD 

Im not a Starwars fan by any means. havent even watched all the movies xD but it cant be denied how popular the IP is haha

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

There has been a lot of forum pvp around here and although I personally think the game is rubbish, I wish it the best.

Alot of members paid good money and are enjoying it. Also, there are a lot of jobs for artists and developers on the line. I do hope BW will find its stride with TOR.

I'd like to subscribe and play it when it is sorted.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

I love when people eat crow

Not sure what the people who bought into it thought they were going to get. Sometimes "trolls" aren't actually "trolls"

I expected a fun, themepark style game that had a great storyline and would keep me interested for numerous months.  So far, that's exactly what I've got from it.  Still enjoying the game, and no crow eaten here.  Mileage may vary for others.  I've got a budget for two MMOs currently, and TOR is locked in as one of them because it's a fun game.  The second game will be either GW2 or TSW, depending on which I find more enjoyable.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Not sure what the people who bought into it thought they were going to get. Sometimes "trolls" aren't actually "trolls"

Not everyone who recognizes and admits to a game's deficiencies is "eating crow."  I never bought into the game hype, never went on and on on the forums about how great it would be, as a matter of fact, I wasn't even planning on playing it.  I waited until there was plenty of criticism from the public and the "reviews" were out, and I decided to buy the game anyway for the single player RPG aspects of it and the story.  I am playing solely for the story, which I have found to be entertaining.  Do I have ANY intention of playing the weak "endgame" after level 50?  None whatsoever.  I will play the game, as I'm playing it, until it's not fun for me anymore and....I will feel like I've gotten my money's worth in entertainment value, because I never intended this game to be an MMO that you play for years and years.  I knew better.

I think the less you EXPECT from a game....the more fun you probably have playing it.  Hype is hype.  All games get their season of hype.  Some of it is true and some is pure optimistic speculation, but one way or the other, I don't let myself get so caught up in it that it determines (ultimately) if I enjoy the game or not.

I'm enjoying SWTOR because I didn't expect it to change the world.  I just expected a fun little diversion....which is what I got.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

conversely i'm not entirely sure what the vocal detractors were expecting from a story based "wow-esque" mmorpg. It seems many people pick up a new mmo without actually wanting to leave their old one or p[ick up a new mmo when they are in fact bored of the gameplay mechanics.

If i'm tired of RTS games and a pick up the newest RTS game it's still and RTS game.

As for replayability, i think it's actually pretty damn good.

Originally posted by just1opinion

Not everyone who recognizes and admits to a game's deficiencies is "eating crow."  I never bought into the game hype, never went on and on on the forums about how great it would be, as a matter of fact, I wasn't even planning on playing it.  I waited until there was plenty of criticism from the public and the "reviews" were out, and I decided to buy the game anyway for the single player RPG aspects of it and the story.  I am playing solely for the story, which I have found to be entertaining.  Do I have ANY intention of playing the weak "endgame" after level 50?  None whatsoever.  I will play the game, as I'm playing it, until it's not fun for me anymore and....I will feel like I've gotten my money's worth in entertainment value, because I never intended this game to be an MMO that you play for years and years.  I knew better.

I think the less you EXPECT from a game....the more fun you probably have playing it.  Hype is hype.  All games get their season of hype.  Some of it is true and some is pure optimistic speculation, but one way or the other, I don't let myself get so caught up in it that it determines (ultimately) if I enjoy the game or not.

I'm enjoying SWTOR because I didn't expect it to change the world.  I just expected a fun little diversion....which is what I got.

Please take your sensible, logical and mature opinion to a forum more suited to that kind of talk, it is not welcome here...  image

In other words... here here!

• hornedtoadhornedtoad Member UncommonPosts: 39

I foolishly subscribed for 3 months.  I'm out in April with most of my guild.  Until then I'll raid 1-2x a week just to hang out.  Definitely looking forward to GW2.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Kyleran

So his theory is go sit in Stormwind or Org for the next 7 months waiting for Pandaland while throwing money at Blizzard monthly for hotfixes and no new content? His logic really escapes me, but that is typical when talking about WoW players.

WoW players do not exactly have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizng TOR.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Month 2 will not be so bad for SWTOR, lots of folks went 1 or 3 months, so May payment is when you will see a dead game. No need or me to go on about why. With games like TERA  & TSW offering something new SWTOR will die even more. Most folks are happier returning to their old games choosing them over SWTOR, what does that tell you?

Originally posted by emota

Month 2 will not be so bad for SWTOR, lots of folks went 1 or 3 months, so May payment is when you will see a dead game. No need or me to go on about why. With games like TERA  & TSW offering something new SWTOR will die even more. Most folks are happier returning to their old games choosing them over SWTOR, what does that tell you?

it tells me you are talking out the top of your hat.. define "dead" and "most" for me please. I really think some people expect each new MMORPG to be substantially different from the last rather thasn a slight variation on a theme as in a genre..

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Month three will be the deadline for Bioware. It seems to be the deadline for most MMOs to determine if it will shine or fade.

Anyone know how WoW was doing after the third month of launch?

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by nikoliath

Originally posted by emota

it tells me you are talking out the top of your hat.. define "dead" and "most" for me please. I really think some people expect each new MMORPG to be substantially different from the last rather thasn a slight variation on a theme as in a genre..

Easy, my opinion is my opinion, i believe i see it pretty accurately. Lets review this conversation in May, im pretty confident you will have the data to substantiate my claim.

SWTOR Dev team have more on their plate to fix then they can cope with, the pvp bag system is getting fixed but guess what, its way too late as the majority have gone or intend to leave before sub cycle kicks in. Crafting is terrible, it has zero value end game, gj BW!

Ilum is, well the worst example of any PvP endgame thats released in the last 10 years. Mythic ballsed it up, WARHAMMER is head and shoulders above SWTOR it and it was released years ago, wow pvp is better lol

Flashpoints are dull, boring and seriously uninspring. Operations are not a patch on Rifts raiding.

Sadly SWTOR is a cold turkey, hung out to dry! Its dead Jim, but not as we know it!

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Yeah. I bought a 60-day game card after my free 30 days expires. So, I'm good until the end of March and will probably re-up for another 60 days. Not sure this is going to be a long-term investment or not like WoW has been over the years but at this point, I have no issues with paying 15 dollars a month. It's a good game. I enjoy it.

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

Im an old Star Wars fan, probably older than most of you. Having played most SW games, i really looked forward to this.

But as more and more became known, i had a bad feeling of it all. Still, i pre-ordered as soon as i could.

After playing about 3 weeks, i just couldnt stand it any more. It wasnt Star Wars, it was to linear and there were lots of reasons i quit. Now i look to alternatives, but it will take a while before anything good comes out, im afraid.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

I'm so dissapointed....

I was expecting some kind of real news, or source... I don't know... I was expecting something.

But in the end you say : On 2 random server there's less player in one map.

And I mean, if you were expecting SWTOR to have like 5M players and grow over an over again well... you were kinda stupid in first place.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I canceled my sub too, but I didn't cancel soon enough to not get billed for this next month. So Bioware got 2 months sub from me.

I just can't bring myself to play anymore. I bought the game because I'm a Bioware/Star Wars super fan, but I just can't deal with the boring ass quest system that WoW introduced to the genre. I HATE, I repeat, HATE quest grinding tasks/chores. I'd rather read how the class stories work out over the web before I run through all of those quests again.

My main got to lvl 41, and I got the other 7 classes between lvl 4-16.

Also, it's not my fault Bioware chose to make a MMORPG rather than KOTOR 3, but Jedi in this game don't feel like Jedi and they're too narrow in scope. Anyone who has played a Jedi in KOTOR 1 & 2, Jedi Outcast, or Academy knows how I believe Jedi should play like.

Originally posted by Atheenah

Im an old Star Wars fan, probably older than most of you. Having played most SW games, i really looked forward to this.

But as more and more became known, i had a bad feeling of it all. Still, i pre-ordered as soon as i could.

After playing about 3 weeks, i just couldnt stand it any more. It wasnt Star Wars, it was to linear and there were lots of reasons i quit. Now i look to alternatives, but it will take a while before anything good comes out, im afraid.

Have you considered that MMORPG's just aren't for you? There is a list of dozens and dozens of them on the left margin of this page.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Still loving playing it, my server has a heavy Population at the times I'm on, cant say about other times as I'm not there, going to keep on playing it.

I tend to give games a while, especially new games as they have bugs and they take time to work them out, balancing and other things come with time, just happy to see the back of so many people that complain on general chat.

Looking forward to seeing Legacy come in and new planets/races in expansions to come.

Originally posted by nate1980

I canceled my sub too, but I didn't cancel soon enough to not get billed for this next month. So Bioware got 2 months sub from me.

I just can't bring myself to play anymore. I bought the game because I'm a Bioware/Star Wars super fan, but I just can't deal with the boring ass quest system that WoW introduced to the genre. I HATE, I repeat, HATE quest grinding tasks/chores. I'd rather read how the class stories work out over the web before I run through all of those quests again.

Also, it's not my fault Bioware chose to make a MMORPG rather than KOTOR 3, but Jedi in this game don't feel like Jedi and they're too narrow in scope. Anyone who has played a Jedi in KOTOR 1 & 2, Jedi Outcast, or Academy knows how I believe Jedi should play like.

and yet you bought a wow-esque mmorpg and didn't like it? If I hated, HATED full loot FFA pvp and bought darkfall should I be disappointed and post a sob story in the forums, or should I /facepalm for being an idiot?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by nikoliath

Originally posted by nate1980

and yet you bought a wow-esque mmorpg and didn't like it? If I hated, HATED full loot FFA pvp and bought darkfall should I be disappointed and post a sob story in the forums, or should I /facepalm for being an idiot?

Yeah, I thought SWTOR would be mostly class based content, not side quests. Once I learned that it was mostly side quests after release, I thought that maybe because it was Star Wars and Bioware made, I could handle it long enough to get through the class quests. Nope.

This discussion has been closed.