Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: One Million Beta Sign Ups Tell the Tale

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Beta sign up's mean nothing.

And to be honest, GW2 is going to be a success even if the game is mediocre, and that's because it's B2P. Anyone who doubts that GW2 will have great box sales needs to have their heads checked, it'll sell very well.

It offers great value, $60 for the game - even if it only had 30 hours of content, it would still be better than most other single player games. The fact that it's an MMO is just a bonus.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

LET ME IN ALREADY... I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE....aaaaaahhhahasoidfjaseopt,c'parog'e[tkog.p!!  ;)

Seriously though.  The remaning time until this game releases is going to suck hard.  I usually spend my entire Winter burried in an MMO, and this year I had nothing to play since SWTOR was such a joke.  I'm just going insane now.  Need my fix bad.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• considebaltconsidebalt Member Posts: 26

I do wonder if they check IPs as a lot of people signed up on multiple e-mail accounts (I kinda wish I had thought of that actually XP)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I think I saw on the twitter that sign-in up with multiple e-mails don't increse your chances to enter beta. I think it's because of that program we had to download.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Flex1

Originally posted by octanic

gongrats to ANet...but like someforumguy..what are my chances?

your chances are 1 in a million. if there are 1 million sign ups then only 1 of you, that leaves a chance of 1 in a million.

I truly hope this isn't serious.  A sad day for the human race if it is. 

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

They will likely be able to identify the IP address, email address and PC and if any of those cross over between more than one account they will discard the duplicates.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Homitu

your chances are 1 in a million. if there are 1 million sign ups then only 1 of you, that leaves a chance of 1 in a million.

It's not likely to be as easy as 1 in a million if 1 million sign up, read my previous post to see why.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I would go out and buy lottery and probably win the lottery but still won't get the beta key! Tho I did received confirmation email so all hope is not yet lost!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Good ole Suzie Ford.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

They hit 1 million. PIC

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Master10K

They hit 1 million. PIC

Yeh seen that on twitter, Pleased as punch for them, I'm sure they surpassed their expectations, I'm not sure if they know how popular they are right now.  lol

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

propably let in around 10k applicants, so yeah, your chances are very limited

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

The question now begs to be asked, how many will they take lol.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by AI724

I would go out and buy lottery and probably win the lottery but still won't get the beta key! Tho I did received confirmation email so all hope is not yet lost!

If you win the lottery you can probably buy yourself a key :p

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

LET ME IN ALREADY... I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE....aaaaaahhhahasoidfjaseopt,c'parog'e[tkog.p!!  ;)

this...^^

• WalderalWalderal Member Posts: 8

Does somebody know when will be open Beta? I will got new computer after 2 weeks and I am wondering if I can play immediately ...

Never complain

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Zezda

Originally posted by Homitu

It's not likely to be as easy as 1 in a million if 1 million sign up, read my previous post to see why.

Wow.  You guys are getting scarier and scarier.  I've yet to do this on any forums, but now may finally be the time:  WOOOOOOSH!

I hoped he wasn't serious not because I was saddened by the prospect of having a meager 1 in one million chance (because those obviously are not the odds) but because that was insanely poor reasoning on his part.  I was hoping he was just messing with the poster to whom he was responding, but now, it turns out even if he was just playing a joke, there exists others who actually do fail at the most basic reasoning skills :( 

Your chances at getting into the beta are contingent entirely upon how many people they plan to invite.  If they had planned on inviting 1 million players, then everyone who signed up will have a 100% chance at getting in.  If they had planned on invited 300,000.  Then you have approximately a 3/10 chance at getting in, varying slightly based upon your computer specs and what they're looking to test. 

You would only have a 1 in one million chance if they only intend to invite one person (as a poster immediately after the original "1 in one million" post was quick to point out, but was somehow continually missed.)   

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Wonder how many spaces are open for beta.

1 million....

We can hope, right? :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by evolver1972

Wonder how many spaces are open for beta.

1 million....

We can hope, right? :)

I wish.

But it will most likely be around 5k-10k max.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I don't think it is impressive. They claim 7 million copies were sold for GW1. So suppose 3.5million GW1 players aren't aware of GW2. And suppose even the other 3.5million which is aware of GW2, half of them are not interested in GW2, then still the number is 3.5M/2 = 1.75M. And we still have not taken into account the players who did not play GW1. Soooooooo seriously, it is not impressive.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I believe everyone who signed up will get in but it will be phased. Some will be allowed in on the first weeked of march and more and more as more weekends pass by but that's just speculation... or maybe I'm psychic.

This is not a game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Originally posted by nomss

I don't think it is impressive. They claim 7 million copies were sold for GW1. So suppose 3.5million GW1 players aren't aware of GW2. And suppose even the other 3.5million which is aware of GW2, half of them are not interested in GW2, then still the number is 3.5M/2 = 1.75M. And we still have not taken into account the players who did not play GW1. Soooooooo seriously, it is not impressive.

It is when you figure it was only active for 50 hours and they did not do much to promote it. Not everyone has them liked on Facebook or follows them on Twitter, not to mention there was next to no warning that this was coming. I have friends that are extremely interested in GW2 and missed/nearly missed the sign up for a string of different reasons. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by nomss

Almost a million people were paying close enough attention to sign up within 48 hours, I think?  Plus, they had this .exe you had to run, which takes your dxdiag specs, and sends them in, before asking for email address, etc.  That might have put some people off.

I wouldn't have even known about it, if not for WoodenPotatoes.  How many people follow that guy?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by someforumguy

So they only let 1 player play. OMG!

lol. anyway, on reddit, the dude said they'll be looking for tens of thousands. so if you applied only once (which most people didnt), you probably stand a 1 in 20 chance or so. which isnt bad.