Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucasarts called the shots with SWG and SOE cares about their fans

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

LA was calling the shot but saying SOE cares about it's customers made me choke on my Bacon, Egg and Chesse sandwhich. That game was bleeding money and the bottom line is now it's not. Stop trusting everything you read. 

I do not trust everything I read, I trust my experineces with SOE directly, and also had personal commucation with Smedly himself.

I have yet to get to communicate with the president of any other MMO company. It is just blocked by customer support, and they do not want to to speak to customers.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by superniceguy

LA was calling the shot but saying SOE cares about it's customers made me choke on my Bacon, Egg and Chesse sandwhich. That game was bleeding money and the bottom line is now it's not. Stop trusting everything you read. 

I do not trust everything I read, I trust my experineces with SOE directly, and also had personal commucation with Smedly himself.

I have yet to get to communicate with the president of any other MMO company. It is just blocked by customer support, and they do not want to to speak to customers.

Maybe it depends on how many customers they have?

Originally posted by Sandbox

That is just finding conspiracy where there is none, and you are basing it off information that is only publicly viewable, and as they can not reveal the whole truth due to confidentiality. If you knew the whole truth you would see that SOE cares, more so than any other company, as Raph Koster says also

SOE always responds with a direct response to the question you ask customer support. When I contacted EA support regarding SWTOR, about tryting to get to play the game as wanted to use Time Cards instead of paypal or credit card, about 4 times. they just sent me a copy and paste of instructions of what needed to be done., as listed in a stickied forum post, 3 times, and the 4th one was just ignored.

SOE would have responded directly and said basically "sorry, rules are rules". At least you knew they saw what you were asking, but EA/Bioware it just seemed they did not, and needed to ask them again, and SOE never ignored my tickets even after replying to them for loads more times.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Sandbox

That is just finding conspiracy where there is none, and you are basing it off information that is only publicly viewable, and as they can not reveal the whole truth due to confidentiality. If you knew the whole truth you would see that SOE cares, more so than any other company, as Raph Koster says also

SOE always responds with a direct response to the question you ask customer support. When I contacted EA support regarding SWTOR, about tryting to get to play the game as wanted to use Time Cards instead of paypal or credit card, about 4 times. they just sent me a copy and paste of instructions of what needed to be done., as listed in a stickied forum post, 3 times, and the 4th one was just ignored.

SOE would have responded directly and said basically "sorry, rules are rules". At least you knew they saw what you were asking, but EA/Bioware it just seemed they did not, and needed to ask them again, and SOE never ignored my tickets even after replying to them for loads more times.

Same here, SOE always answered my tickets within 48 hours, a couple of times even within the hour. The answers were not always to my liking but I was never ignored.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Tardcore

The Game Archaeologist chats with John Smedley about EQMac's salvation

Basically EQmac was going to be sunsetted but in the end was not, and made complete free to play - no sub fee and no marketplace - completely free.  In it mentions SWG and closure:

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

The decision to save Al'Kabor was attributed 100% to the fan response, especially the pleas from Mac gamers to a Mac-loving president. "We left it running because we cared about the fans," Smedley confessed. "I was so personally moved by 600 emails on the subjects by rabid fans on that server; it was really touching to me."

"We're not cold-hearted," he said. "We treat customers like we treat families." Those who want to make a conspiracy out of the issue or read into it miss the simple truth of the personal angle. SOE, Smedley assured me, is not a faceless bureaucracy but a group of like-minded gamers who care about the same things that its customers do.

Basically SOE cares about the players and its fans, but it is Lucasarts who do not. If they did they would have seen to keep SWG active. Any crap that SOE put out with SWG, was because of Lucasarts calling the shots.

Sorry but LA involvement does not explain the long history of all their other broken and abandoned non Star Wars titles they still expect customers to pay for.

And what long history is this?

Is it better to ask someone to pay for Vanguard than it is to shut it down?  because that is EXACTLY what you are saying.  That they should just go close products that arent profitable to develop for.

AS a matter of fact they recently did try to close down a product that was costing them money, even with people paying for it. Smedley listened to the customers and EQMac remains open, even at a loss for SoE.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Just to provide further proof that SOE doesn't care about their customers, I offer evidence from their latest debacle...the ProSiebenSat.1 deal :)

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=515195 <--- SOE's own forums even!

And here for player reaction

http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/23/soe-eq2-community-team-deletes-100s-of-posts-bans-dozens-over-prosieben-feedback/

Yet...there will always be the fools who follow and defend them, despite everything they do.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Do any of you LA fan  boys really believe SOE could design and code and implement the NGE without lucas arts wanting them to ?   

I hope some of you realize how a license deal works for games because like SWTOR any and all changes that effect the star wars lore/game go through or from Lucas Arts a company that over the years has proven they care about money first.   LA gets to hide in the backround and let SOE take all the heat for years just like bioware now is taking all the heat for swtor yet LA is responsible for everything in that game including releasing it 6 months early.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Anyone that believes Sony cares about their fans is totally ignoring the LONG history of crap games Sony has put out and security measures that Sony has put in place for their customers.  Going on to blame LA for the NGE and CU is just delusional when you look at all the other crap they have done as well.  Sorry folks, but Sony will not be getting any more of my money.  Smedley and his money grubbing company can go down the drain for all I care.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by teakbois

Is it better to ask someone to pay for Vanguard than it is to shut it down?  because that is EXACTLY what you are saying.  That they should just go close products that arent profitable to develop for.

AS a matter of fact they recently did try to close down a product that was costing them money, even with people paying for it. Smedley listened to the customers and EQMac remains open, even at a loss for SoE.

I'm sure I missed something more to this, but I want to comment on this...

From what I read above, you seem to think that that SOE is almost doing you a favor by charging you a sub fee and allowing a game to limp along on life support?! That's so wrong...so wrong. Teakbois...you're the CUSTOMER! Value your $ and time more than you seem to.

Charging top dollar, for an unsupported game, isn't reasonable...not imo. If a company gets away with it, fine, there's nobody to blame but the people paying the fee - I just feel it's a very shady practice. I'm not naive to how the market works, so I understand companies following this pattern for easy $ - What I do NOT understand is the mentality of the players who pay for it willingly and support it. I feel that a  $15 sub fee demands a game that has continued development and dedicated staff capable of fixing bugs and adding new content.

Originally posted by TUX426

From what I read above, you seem to think that that SOE is almost doing you a favor by charging you a sub fee and allowing a game to limp along on life support?! That's so wrong...so wrong. Teakbois...you're the CUSTOMER! Value your $ and time more than you seem to.

Charging top dollar, for an unsupported game, isn't reasonable...not imo. If a company gets away with it, fine, there's nobody to blame but the people paying the fee - I just feel it's a very shady practice. I'm not naive to how the market works, so I understand companies following this pattern for easy $ - What I do NOT understand is the mentality of the players who pay for it willingly and support it. I feel that a  $15 sub fee demands a game that has continued development and dedicated staff capable of fixing bugs and adding new content.

SOE saved vanguard simple as that .  Stop blamming them for Sigils stupid mistakes.  SOE has shareholders/investors and they have a obligation to them.   Why not blame every other company who passed on vanguard  ?  SOE kept a game that would be dead alive so the fans can enjoy it but you blame them for not taking a huge risk and investing more money into a game that already ate up 40 + mil of Microsofts money ?  

[mod edit] even at 15$ a month do you think SOE is making money from Vanguard ?  Ill guarantee they're losing money on the game and have been for years yet still keep it going for people who enjoy it.

Btw Vanguard is going Free 2 Play.

Originally posted by William12

Do any of you LA fan  boys really believe SOE could design and code and implement the NGE without lucas arts wanting them to ?   

I hope some of you realize how a license deal works for games because like SWTOR any and all changes that effect the star wars lore/game go through or from Lucas Arts a company that over the years has proven they care about money first.   LA gets to hide in the backround and let SOE take all the heat for years just like bioware now is taking all the heat for swtor yet LA is responsible for everything in that game including releasing it 6 months early.

Jeff Freeman, an SOE employee VERY actively involved in the NGE, even called the "father" of the NGE, confirmed long ago that the NGE was SOE's idea, LA simply approved it. Any other theory you may have on it is false.

I urge you to read this link if you haven't.

SOE saved vanguard simple as that .  Stop blamming them for Sigils stupid mistakes.  SOE has shareholders/investors and they have a obligation to them.   Why not blame every other company who passed on vanguard  ?  SOE kept a game that would be dead alive so the fans can enjoy it but you blame them for not taking a huge risk and investing more money into a game that already ate up 40 + mil of Microsofts money ?  

[mod edit] even at 15$ a month do you think SOE is making money from Vanguard ?  Ill guarantee they're losing money on the game and have been for years yet still keep it going for people who enjoy it.

Calling me names doesn't help your case.

You're one of those people who feels like SOE is doing you a fucking favor by taking your money...my god man...I don't even know what to say to you. Good luck! Enjoy the game and accept whatever they deem worthy to give you.

[mod edit] even at 15$ a month do you think SOE is making money from Vanguard ?  Ill guarantee they're losing money on the game and have been for years yet still keep it going for people who enjoy it.

Calling me names doesn't help your case.

You're one of those people who feels like SOE is doing you a fucking favor by taking your money...my god man...I don't even know what to say to you. Good luck! Enjoy the game and accept whatever they deem worthy to give you.

Obviously people believe its worth it because people still play it.  You dont ok we get it but that isnt SOEs fault thats your fault go spend your 15$ a month somewhere else.   You believe a game is better off dead then have a small playerbase that enjoys it and that is ignorant and greedy by you.   Fact is if SOE didnt SAVE Vanguard thousands of people wouldnt of enjoyed it and had fun playing it over the years and there would be 0 chance of even more enjoying it when it goes F2P.  There would be no Vanguard F2P if SOE didnt accept that the game would lose money for 5 straight years.   You call SOE a money grubbing company but fact is they have LOST money on vanguard since the day they bailed sigil out and they kept the game going for people who want to play it while LOSING money.

I would rather play (as in constanty sub to) a game like Vanguard, than SWTOR. It is fun to go out and find/harvest your resources. It is not fun when your companions do the work for you. The crafting system in Vanguard is far better than what it is SWTOR, although not as good as SWG.

It is the systems that make people keep subscribing, not the quality of the product. The quality of the product will attract more to a game, but if there is not many systems in it, then people will just lose interest

Obviously people believe its worth it because people still play it.  You dont ok we get it but that isnt SOEs fault thats your fault go spend your 15$ a month somewhere else.   You believe a game is better off dead then have a small playerbase that enjoys it and that is ignorant and greedy by you.   Fact is if SOE didnt SAVE Vanguard thousands of people wouldnt of enjoyed it and had fun playing it over the years and there would be 0 chance of even more enjoying it when it goes F2P.  There would be no Vanguard F2P if SOE didnt accept that the game would lose money for 5 straight years.   You call SOE a money grubbing company but fact is they have LOST money on vanguard since the day they bailed sigil out and they kept the game going for people who want to play it while LOSING money.

I do. And I will never again spend a cent with SOE.

How about some proof? Prove to me that they are losing money on Vanguard. I have no doubt they lost money on the deal, but that's because Smed is a business moron...not because he likes you.

SOE is many things mate...a charity isnt one of them. Stop making shit up.

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

I dont know this late in the game it almost seem like SOE is trying to pass the buck. "It's not our fault it lucas arts arts fault" The bad thing for me is i dont turst eahc company so much that it really doesnt matter who do it. It makes me not trust them both.

Just to provide further proof that SOE doesn't care about their customers, I offer evidence from their latest debacle...the ProSiebenSat.1 deal :)

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=515195 <--- SOE's own forums even!

http://eq2wire.com/2012/02/23/soe-eq2-community-team-deletes-100s-of-posts-bans-dozens-over-prosieben-feedback/

Yet...there will always be the fools who follow and defend them, despite everything they do.

Nothing has been sorted yet, and they are still working on the details. All negativity is just over reactions at this stage, as per usual.

Hey folks – I know it’s been a long few days. We fully appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken to provide your feedback.

As we’ve said before, we ARE listening, and we are in discussions with ProSieben. We will come back to you with information when it becomes available, but it will be some time yet.

Please keep in mind that this is not an overnight process and no games are transitioning to ProSieben immediately.

Thank you for bearing with us during this planning period.

Linda “Brasse” Carlson

Director, Global Community Relations, SOE

In the long run, it looks like there will be more support for EU customers. So looks good :)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I would rather play (as in constanty sub to) a game like Vanguard, than SWTOR. It is fun to go out and find/harvest your resources. It is not fun when your companions do the work for you. The crafting system in Vanguard is far better than what it is SWTOR, although not as good as SWG.

It is the systems that make people keep subscribing, not the quality of the product. The quality of the product will attract more to a game, but if there is not many systems in it, then people will just lose interest

And then there are the people who seem to prefer being able to direct anywhere's from 1 to 5 companions to go out and gather supplies while you are busy teamed up and questing.  They have those companions craft the gear as well while you continue to enjoy playing the game with other people.  You get to enjoy the rest of the MMO while the companions do the tedious work.  Almost like a manager in a company directs his employees to do certain tasks while he does other things himself.

In the end though, both types of people are just making purchases based on their preferences.  But keeping a dying game afloat AND charging top subscription prices for it, while failing to actually support it is WRONG.  Look at it this way.  Would you really want to pay a couple hundred buck for a really good tape player, knowing that no one is even putting music out on cassette tapes anymore?  I know I wouldn't, but if you like the game well enough to do so then by all means go ahead.  Just don't complain when they never give you any support or expansion for this game.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

saying things like " people are lazy enough to let companions gather for them" seems to fit just like people saying oh its ok for a company to tell my story. I think that where MMO became different ie wow vs eq  tell me story vs this is my story.

Originally posted by GMan3

And then there are the people who seem to prefer being able to direct anywhere's from 1 to 5 companions to go out and gather supplies while you are busy teamed up and questing.  The have those companions craft the gear as well while you continue to enjoy playing the game with other people.  You get to enjoy the rest of the MMO while the companions do the tedious work.  Almost like a manager in a company directs his employees to do certain tasks while he does other things himself.

In the end though, both types of people are just making purchases based on their preferences.  But keeping a dying game afloat AND charging top subscription prices for it, while failing to actually support it is WRONG.  Look at it this way.  Would you really want to pay a couple hundred buck for a really good tape player, knowing that no one is even putting music out on cassette tapes anymore?  I know I wouldn't, but it you like the game well enough to do so then by all means go ahead.  Just don't complain when they never give you any support or expansion for this game.

The point is YOU make the content, not the devs = content forever

If I was a musician I would not care that no one else made any more music.

SWTOR is all about the content from Bioware, there is no room to let your own imagination go free

Whilst people can enjoy the game and go group up, is then what makes people quit the game sooner. There are always times when none of your friends are online, or anyone is there to group with, these are the times when you put that time to craffting, and stay subbed

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

and SOE cares about their fans

Certaionly made me laugh

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by ktanner3

Of course LA called the shots with SWG. It was their IP and they set the standards by which the IP is used. That's the way it works for any company that controls such a popular IP. However, from what I 've seen, SOE was given complete control in the beginning in the development of the game and they blew it. They released a game that wasn't very popular with the fans and was completely boring. LA saw a sinking ship and tried to correct it, but they made the problem worse because unbelievably there was still people that liked the game the way it was and those people left after getting scewed over.

There's no doubt in my mind that LA was behind pulling the plug on SWG. While SOE has no problem keeping failed MMOs on life support for years and years, LA expects better from a game with the Star Wars brand. Now if SOE REALLY cares SO much about their fans, they will release a similiar game to SWG without the Star Wars trappings in it. It shouldn't be hard. In fact, why didn't they do that for the 300,000 pre-nge SWG fans ? They've only had six years to do that.

Odd they didnt start expecting it until the TOR launch huh? Seems they let SWG live on "life support" for quite sometime prior to that.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

Nothing has been sorted yet, and they are still working on the details. All negativity is just over reactions at this stage, as per usual.

Hey folks – I know it’s been a long few days. We fully appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken to provide your feedback.

As we’ve said before, we ARE listening, and we are in discussions with ProSieben. We will come back to you with information when it becomes available, but it will be some time yet.

Please keep in mind that this is not an overnight process and no games are transitioning to ProSieben immediately.

Linda “Brasse” Carlson

In the long run, it looks like there will be more support for EU customers. So looks good :)

You didn't bother to read the links did you? Let me make this easier for you...

A Disingenuous Response?

So far the response to the ProSiebenSat.1 discussion thread has been hundreds of innocuous posts deleted by EQ2 moderators (who contrary to popular belief are paid contractors and not unpaid volunteers), and dozens of bans handed out to long-time forum members including myself.

The reasons for posts being deleted have been myriad and nonsensical “not constructive”, “excessive negativity”, and “trolling” on a scale we have not seen since the dark days of Grimwell who single-handledly drove hundreds of players to EQ2Flames back in its more constructive days as a helpful EQ2 player outpost.

However the most disingenuous response has been this from Linda “Brasse” Carlson:

Linda “Brasse” Carlson

In reality, Brasse indicated in SOE Podcast #126 (posted on February 15th) that she had been intimately involved in the ProSiebenSat.1 deal and had traveled to Germany (listen starting at 53:40):

[I'm] still getting over the jet lag of being in Munich [Germany]. I know that everybody’s anxious for more details about how the ProSieben deal will affect our international players, and I’m happy to say that we’ve got an FAQ that’s gone back-and-forth back-and-forth up-and-down sideways back-and-forth.

Let’s face it, this is a really complex deal, so we should be able to get some information for you — I hate to use the term ’soon’ — We’re hoping for next week. We’re not going to release the information until we’re sure we’ve got all the right answers. There’s no point in telling players stuff and then having it change the following week.

So to somehow suggest that she was unaware or unprepared for the player response is beyond the pale.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The point is YOU make the content, not the devs = content forever

If I was a musician I would not care that no one else made any more music.

SWTOR is all about the content from Bioware, there is no room to let your own imagination go free

Whilst people can enjoy the game and go group up, is then what makes people quit the game sooner. There are always times when none of your friends are online, or anyone is there to group with, these are the times when you put that time to craffting, and stay subbed

I cant stand bad analogies. The reason why most musicians pick up an instrument in the first place, is because of other people's music. They usually care a lot about other people's music.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

So they already went F2P with EQ2X before shutting down SWG. They also going F2P with EQ and Vanguard. But not SWG. This makes me suspect too that LA had something to do with this. It is the only game in this list where they don't own the license and can't do anything they want with it. On top of that, the devs for SWG were a lot more active then the devs for Vanguard. They even planned ahead.

This discussion has been closed.