Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Immersion Day Preview

Comments

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Vesavius

It's a shame, but the twitch combat will do this game alot of harm with the MMORPG crowd.

Especially the puzzle loving community building MMORPG crowd.

There is no twitch based combat in The Secret World, don't know where you got your informatoin but it's wrong, it's standard tab based with abilities that we are use to seeing maybe seeing the guns threw you off.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by tom_gore

One small question. Do the characters dig out a mobile phone or a tablet when you fire up the ingame browser? That would be cool and immersive.

(WoW took 7 years to add an animation for checking out the map and/or reading your mail)

LOL, I recently logged into WoW on a friend's account and hit his mailbox and saw that and wondered if I'd just been blind all this time.

I didn't have the nerve to ask anyone.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by black_isle

The game looks more like a traditional mmo as it gets closer to launch. I mean how can you say it is levelless when you have "skulls" for mob difficulty and you are filling bars while killing mobs to purchase ranks of abilities/skills(i.e. Grind) as you vertically progress through content/maps? And how is it so free in building one's character when you need solid holy trinity design to be successful at content? 

Yeah those missions sure sound like standard mmorpgs. I remember in all those games i played i actually i had to think... not

I would personally see the game without skulls, but i guess it would be too hard for most mmorpgs players. If you knew how abilities work you would know the difference from leveling.  Yes there is progression if thats what you mean.

Noone said there wouldn't be grinding, but you don't have to have more than 14 abilities to play the game on an equal level as someone that has all the 600 abilities, so the choice is yours.

Again if you knew how the ability system works you would know you can play as a tank, healer, dps, cc, or as a hybrid of any of those mentioned + cleanser, purger etc.

I understand that it can seem simple on the surface, especially if you look at gameplay videos where the characters are vastly OP compared to the content, but if you look on the mechanics behind it's everything but. You should look it up it's really interesting.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Sounds good apart from constantly shouting out your build / skills etc. to the group;  Needing to discuss or call any type of game mechanic during a fight just breaks the immersion.

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

At least the good part is that even though traditional archetypes may be required, you have freedom so switch between them with little fuss. Thus, even if you don't have a tank in your group, one of the players can always assume that role, while another can take over healing, etc. So intead of "tank wanted" in the general chat, you will see "anyone wants to play tank for this quest/dungeon/raid?" It should be easier finding a group this way, to the very least.

The only thing I really hope for is that the game is going to be forgiving enough, so that you will be able to experiment with builds. For example, I'd love if you could add an extra skill that doesn't necessarily match your archetype, like crowd control for a healer, or a backup heal for a tank, etc. Unfortunately, from what I read here, it seems that you will have to go deep into the archetype to be effective. If this is the only way to go through content, it will be a big waste of potential.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

here is a video from the hands on event

link

the commentary in german makes it dificult to listen to the game....

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

This game will fail. Yes, it looks good. It may be well written and well developed and it might just be what players are looking for. So why will it fail?

You have a joint effort between two failure MMO companies. EA and FC!

I used to be a long time player of Anarchy Online. I recently quit primarily due to the neglect of the game on the part of FC. Paired that with the introduction of the Cash Shop which in my opinion was just another channel to abuse the players of the game. FC has proven that they will use Cash Shop items to fix content issues in their game.

1. There is an issue at the fundamental level where the game was developed around player inter-dependency. (non-soloable content) The concept is great, but the current state of the playerbase doen't support this. FC's fix: Ec
    courage players to buy 2nd accounts (Yes that's right now you pay $30.00 per month to play this crap..And if you think this is exaggerated, I'll tell you that EVERY SINGLE player in the game that I knew had multiple accounts. It's not an option really) So FC sets up the "Veteran Account Program where you can purchase the vet account with points that you paid real cash for and that allows you to spend $10.00 per transaction to transfer characters between accounts so you can dual box level your alts. 

2. the 2nd problem is closely related to the issue above. In order to play the game, you need to run with buffs that your character cant provide, Every profession (Class) has a set of buffs that everyon else needs. Good idea, but again, the playerbase no longer supports this and players were spending large amounts of time searching for buffs and not playing the game because no one could give the needed buffs. The player solution, (See above) open a second account and level level a stable full of personal buff bots) FC's solution? "Cannned Buffs" Yes you can go into the item shop and purchase with real money, the needed buffs.

3. They say they don't sell anything that will change the balance of power. That's what thy said and it's an outright lie. 1st off, you can buy PVP victory points and go buy weapons and armor. 2nd if that isn't enough, Most of what you can buy, you can resell for ingame credits (gold). So, you want that upgrade you need? OK, go buy a Token Pack (Faction points) with real maoney and resell it ingame for game currency.

If anyone thinks this won't happen in TSW, well, I just don't know what to say. It's FC and EA, they are greedy software companies who don't give a dam about the quality of work if they can turn a profit at anyone's expense.

This is the same reason I have doubts about GW2 as well.

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75

I can hardly wait to play it!! Being a fan of old school RPG's (eg: Breath of fire, phantasy star, ultima, daggerfall), it will be a welcome breath of fresh air that i have been longing for, and in my opinion long over due!

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

This game will fail. Yes, it looks good. It may be well written and well developed and it might just be what players are looking for. So why will it fail?

I used to be a long time player of Anarchy Online. I recently quit primarily due to the neglect of the game on the part of FC. Paired that with the introduction of the Cash Shop which in my opinion was just another channel to abuse the players of the game. FC has proven that they will use Cash Shop items to fix content issues in their game.

1. There is an issue at the fundamental level where the game was developed around player inter-dependency. (non-soloable content) The concept is great, but the current state of the playerbase doen't support this. FC's fix: Ec
    courage players to buy 2nd accounts (Yes that's right now you pay $30.00 per month to play this crap..And if you think this is exaggerated, I'll tell you that EVERY SINGLE player in the game that I knew had multiple accounts. It's not an option really) So FC sets up the "Veteran Account Program where you can purchase the vet account with points that you paid real cash for and that allows you to spend $10.00 per transaction to transfer characters between accounts so you can dual box level your alts. 

2. the 2nd problem is closely related to the issue above. In order to play the game, you need to run with buffs that your character cant provide, Every profession (Class) has a set of buffs that everyon else needs. Good idea, but again, the playerbase no longer supports this and players were spending large amounts of time searching for buffs and not playing the game because no one could give the needed buffs. The player solution, (See above) open a second account and level level a stable full of personal buff bots) FC's solution? "Cannned Buffs" Yes you can go into the item shop and purchase with real money, the needed buffs.

3. They say they don't sell anything that will change the balance of power. That's what thy said and it's an outright lie. 1st off, you can buy PVP victory points and go buy weapons and armor. 2nd if that isn't enough, Most of what you can buy, you can resell for ingame credits (gold). So, you want that upgrade you need? OK, go buy a Token Pack (Faction points) with real maoney and resell it ingame for game currency.

If anyone thinks this won't happen in TSW, well, I just don't know what to say. It's FC and EA, they are greedy software companies who don't give a dam about the quality of work if they can turn a profit at anyone's expense.

you say this game is going to fail, but, proceeds by talking about how TSW is looking good and how AO have few people and a cash shop... I don't get it

Originally posted by zhivik

The only thing I really hope for is that the game is going to be forgiving enough, so that you will be able to experiment with builds. For example, I'd love if you could add an extra skill that doesn't necessarily match your archetype, like crowd control for a healer, or a backup heal for a tank, etc. Unfortunately, from what I read here, it seems that you will have to go deep into the archetype to be effective. If this is the only way to go through content, it will be a big waste of potential.

You don't have go deep into each archtype to go through content. Only the nightmare dungeons (the elite versions of every dungeon) will require the most efficient builds. For you to be able to experiment with builds depends on how much time you want to spend with the game. You need many hundred, if not thousand, hours to get all abilities. But to advance in the ability wheel you really dont need that many. Ca 40-50 ability points and you can get pretty much get any ability you want, because how the skill wheel is made up, which you can take a look at here (skills can change a bit before launch).

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

What classes and professions are you talking about. they have standard decks that you can take if you dont want to go though building your own, however you can build everything to your standards. also having a publisher like a EA is a good thing. imagine if a company went to Blizzard and said "we want to change all these things" blizzard would laugh them out of the building. you need companies willing to let the devs do what they want or else games don't change, sure EA isn't doing it because they care about the Genre they want money. however not every game that comes out of it will be a cash cow. Oh No the store allows you to buy the ONLY piece of gear that actually gives bonuses which is the weapons. remember this little tid bit. Armor isnt armor, its cloths, Cloths are all asthetic.

Seeing how you can change your skills out freely i dont see why you think you will need multiple accounts. some people will be lazy and buy the skills they need, others will hunt them. personally i am excited for the fact that i can go to a area to complete missions and gain skills.

BTW none of the things you said in there have even been mentioned to be apart of TSW. do some research before you troll.

the more you argue at AO the less you sound like you even know what your talking about. its better to be silent and have people think your a idiot then to open your mouth and prove them right.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by rpgalon

you say this game is going to fail, but, proceeds by talking about how TSW is looking good and how AO have few people and a cash shop... I don't get it

I'll break it down. No matter how good the game has been written and developed. It will be ruined by a cash shop. And it has already been announce that TSW will have one. By looking at FC's other games (I can't speak to AoC), we can see how they will use the CS in TSW.

If you played AO up until now (how many years has it been?) they must have done something right...

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Originally posted by Hycoo

The game looks more like a traditional mmo as it gets closer to launch. I mean how can you say it is levelless when you have "skulls" for mob difficulty and you are filling bars while killing mobs to purchase ranks of abilities/skills(i.e. Grind) as you vertically progress through content/maps? And how is it so free in building one's character when you need solid holy trinity design to be successful at content? 

Yeah those missions sure sound like standard mmorpgs. I remember in all those games i played i actually i had to think... not

I would personally see the game without skulls, but i guess it would be too hard for most mmorpgs players. If you knew how abilities work you would know the difference from leveling.  Yes there is progression if thats what you mean.

Noone said there wouldn't be grinding, but you don't have to have more than 14 abilities to play the game on an equal level as someone that has all the 600 abilities, so the choice is yours.

Again if you knew how the ability system works you would know you can play as a tank, healer, dps, cc, or as a hybrid of any of those mentioned + cleanser, purger etc.

I understand that it can seem simple on the surface, especially if you look at gameplay videos where the characters are vastly OP compared to the content, but if you look on the mechanics behind it's everything but. You should look it up it's really interesting.

I never said the game didn't have original and good ideas or didn't have differences from today's mmos. If i thought that way i wouldn't be waiting for it along with gw2. I only said that it looks more and more similiar to those traditional systems as we get closer to launch. I think it's gonna be a good game nonetheless but i suspect they are making it seem more open-ended than it actually is and it could lead to a disapponitment at launch if they kept it up like that. personally i'd like it to be less structured on those topics i mentioned. Otherwise questing and content etc. sounds amazing.

Btw no offense but if they showed some gameplay footage or anything at all, we wouldn't have to take other people's word for it so i'll just stick to my opinion until they do exactly that.

Oh and the payment model is horrible. Yes i'm looking forward to the game but don't know if i'll purchase it because of the model. I'll just wait and see how it will unfold. They should go either p2p or freemium or f2p.

[mod edit - fixed spacing]

Originally posted by LadyNoh

What classes and professions are you talking about. they have standard decks that you can take if you dont want to go though building your own, however you can build everything to your standards. also having a publisher like a EA is a good thing. imagine if a company went to Blizzard and said "we want to change all these things" blizzard would laugh them out of the building. you need companies willing to let the devs do what they want or else games don't change, sure EA isn't doing it because they care about the Genre they want money. however not every game that comes out of it will be a cash cow. Oh No the store allows you to buy the ONLY piece of gear that actually gives bonuses which is the weapons. remember this little tid bit. Armor isnt armor, its cloths, Cloths are all asthetic.

Seeing how you can change your skills out freely i dont see why you think you will need multiple accounts. some people will be lazy and buy the skills they need, others will hunt them. personally i am excited for the fact that i can go to a area to complete missions and gain skills.

BTW none of the things you said in there have even been mentioned to be apart of TSW. do some research before you troll.

the more you argue at AO the less you sound like you even know what your talking about. its better to be silent and have people think your a idiot then to open your mouth and prove them right.

Apples and Oranges.

I am not taking about TSW beyond what I know. You are nit picking specifics. I don't care how classes/professions/skills/gear (or anything else for that matter) is set up in TSW. I am telling you that for whatever comes up as an issue in the game, If the solution can be put in the CS for you to buy, then that is what FC will do. Also, if there is any desireable ingame item that you can purchase from the CS and resell ingame.....Your game economy is screwed.

Unless its a player based economy the games economy is basically worthless anyhow.

i also dont really see a dire need for a auction house or anything like that, how they set this game up it isnt critical to have one. the most you might get is a new outfit.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

I never said the game didn't have original and good ideas or didn't have differences from today's mmos. If i thought that way i wouldn't be waiting for it along with gw2. I only said that it looks more and more similiar to those traditional systems as we get closer to launch. I think it's gonna be a good game nonetheless but i suspect they are making it seem more open-ended than it actually is and i'd like it to be less structured on those topics i mentioned. Otherwise questing and content etc. sounds amazing.

Oh and the payment model is disgusting. Yes i'm looking forward to it but don't know if i'll purchase it because of the model. I'll just wait and see how it will unfold. They should go either p2p or freemium or f2p.

Then you have set yourself for a dissapointment. Nothing has changed from the vision of the developers had on the game until now. Anything else is hype from media or players.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

A little disappointed by this preview, actually. Basically admitted it's another quest based hand-guiding fest. What's the point to having an open world is players are rewarded most for following a set path? Still, if they do a really good job with the quest writing and create an enthralling storyline, it's something I can get over. I do think that hurts replayability, but I'll wait until I get to play to say for certain.

Don't know about the twitch-based combat. I keep hearing that, but gameplay videos I've seen are tab target, spam bolt spell like most other MMOs. Is it limited more to the melee combat? Anyone know?

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

I never said the game didn't have original and good ideas or didn't have differences from today's mmos. If i thought that way i wouldn't be waiting for it along with gw2. I only said that it looks more and more similiar to those traditional systems as we get closer to launch. I think it's gonna be a good game nonetheless but i suspect they are making it seem more open-ended than it actually is and i'd like it to be less structured on those topics i mentioned. Otherwise questing and content etc. sounds amazing.

Oh and the payment model is disgusting. Yes i'm looking forward to it but don't know if i'll purchase it because of the model. I'll just wait and see how it will unfold. They should go either p2p or freemium or f2p.

Then you have set yourself for a dissapointment. Nothing has changed from the vision of the developers had on the game until now. Anything else is hype from media or players.

Sorry but there wasn't any ranks on skills before and no mention of skulls on mobs or anything. Also they didn't emphasize the holy trinity setup before. Some things change, it is expected, the thing is how they make it seem and it seemed more open-ended. That's it.

not quite sure to be honest, i need to actually see full out gameplay. im mainly happy to see that the game isnt "kill 10 of these and come back" /repeat, investigation quests actually require investigation not following a dot on your map. it seems they made this game for the players who want a actual challenge, they want to go all monolith on you and make you afraid to walk in the dark. they want you to require thought in your gaming, i will admit, some people wont like this. i don't know if the idea of thinking hurts them or just tires them out faster. i can't see casuals liking this game, most casuals want to charge in slash or shoot some people then turn it off in a hour or 2. now if they want that hour or 2 to be challenging then great we will welcome with open arms. but if they are gonna whine in chat about not being able to find any missions, show em the door. 

Because i can.

• TrenkerTrenker Member Posts: 88

Downside for me is the "challenging puzzles" and "making the players think and problem solve" [paraphrased].  I hate being stuck on puzzles and hate 'solving' them - that's what I do for my day job (IT support lol).

Even the cultists quest in this article sounds annoying - a dev had to point a subtle part of the quest text before the team knew what to do.  I can see plenty of people spending hours banging their heads onthis sort of thing.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Hmm, was hoping they would go all out like the GW2 press beta. I cannot seem to find videos on the game besides the one a poster linked above. Oh well, just will wait on my beta invite.

BOOYAKA!

Sorry but there wasn't any ranks on skills before and no mention of skulls on mobs or anything. Also they didn't emphasize the holy trinity setup before. Some things change, it is expected, the thing is how they make it seem and it seemed more open-ended. That's it.

If you are really interested you can go to http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=24894 and read explanations and discussion about the skill system, and see how it doesn't change anything else than making you not be able to use the best weapon of a weapon type when you start putting your ability points into that weapon type. There are not any ranks on skills.

They have said there would be some way to get an indication on how powerful your enemy is, this was said in a developer diary many months back (think it was the one about dungeons), so it should not be a surprise.

Do you think after such a short play session that they would be able to dvelve into the synergies in the ability wheel? Most previewers play what they know so it doesn't become too complicated, but for example the guy at ZAM tried a hybrid (even tho it was only a healer/healer hybrid):

Throughout all of these encounters, while most press members took up the role of DPSing with Assault Rifles or Elementalist magic, I was given the opportunity to try out healing with my newly constructed Rifle / Blood Magic healer build. Healing in TSW is a rather interesting departure from normal healing, as I needed to build weapon resources (think combo points) by attacking the enemy before I could throw out a heal. Rifle healers seem to be entirely focused on giving lifesteal (called leech) buffs to teammates, while Blood healers are more focused on shielding players and preventing damage. The last healing weapon, Fists, was unfortunately disabled for this event, but I suspect I may pursue the art of punch-healing on launch day.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Trenker

Downside for me is the "challenging puzzles" and "making the players think and problem solve" [paraphrased].  I hate being stuck on puzzles and hate 'solving' them - that's what I do for my day job (IT support lol).

Even the cultists quest in this article sounds annoying - a dev had to point a subtle part of the quest text before the team knew what to do.  I can see plenty of people spending hours banging their heads onthis sort of thing.

From where I"m sitting that's a good thing.

For my taste, these games have become ridiculous. grab quest, show up and kill, retrieve or "click on x amount of somethin gto activate it" and then run back and get xp reward.

Rinse and repeat.

Adding additional options to quests/areas should break this up a bit. And quite frankly, I'm a player who likes the idea that players can fail.

However, I imagine the answers to a lot of these puzzles will be on the internet as fast as you can type WWW...

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo