Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Immersion Day Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom is stepping up the machine and releasing more and more information about The Secret World. We recently had the opportunity to attend an "immersion day" at the Funcom Montreal studio. See what we discovered about The Secret World and see why we say "The Secret World should be tops on your list of games to play in 2012."

We were given the chance to play in the Scorched Desert, a region in Egypt, and learned that the cult of Aten is alive and active and that the biblical plagues of old have revisited modern day Egypt. (Hint - start looking it up!) Here is the inevitable spoiler warning. If you hate spoilers, I'll let you know when to stop reading because I am going to talk about the game play and that will describe the area, the quests and the dungeons we ran through, the horridly splendid boss mobs and the evil, evil experiences that are in store for players. Experiences that made us first groan, cuss, and then wane enthusiastic when we beat the content. The day was justly titled "Immersion Day" as we spent the entire day, with short breaks in between for lunch, playing the game after a short presentation.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's The Secret World: Immersion Day Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's a shame, but the twitch combat will do this game alot of harm with the MMORPG crowd.

Especially the puzzle loving community building MMORPG crowd.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Awesome. The more I read on this game the more I like it :)

The Ultimate Breakdown

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

One small question. Do the characters dig out a mobile phone or a tablet when you fire up the ingame browser? That would be cool and immersive.

(WoW took 7 years to add an animation for checking out the map and/or reading your mail)

• NgogorogoroNgogorogoro Member Posts: 11

Cant wait! Awesome! Finaally a game I want to play!

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Finally something different in this genre. It's a huge added bonus that this game will finally offer some challenge us more intellectual types have missed in this dumbed down genre.

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    Is it just me or does page 2 link back to page 1? :) Anyhow, sounds awesome! The fact that you have to look up, and all around, tells me that the environments actually matter giving purpose to exploration. Very new and cool :)
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Vesavius

It's a shame, but the twitch combat will do this game alot of harm with the MMORPG crowd.

Especially the puzzle loving community building MMORPG crowd.

twitch combat?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    The official TSW forums had a whole bunch of sites and TSW articles on them (look here: http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=24892).

Loved this quote from the PC Gamer article:

"The Old Republic recently tried its hand at making a survival-horror dungeon with its Rise of the Rakghouls path, and I just about yawned my whole way through it. This, on the other hand, is downright scary—reminding me of the subway portion of Left 4 Dead’s No Mercy campaign. Funcom’s artists are downright brilliant at creating environments that match the “this is the world you live in, but everything has gone absolutely crazy in it” theme. Giant black, oily tentacles break through the ceiling and grasp frantically at anything near them, pillars are shattered and subway trains are infested—the entire place gives me the creeps.

And man is it dark! TOR’s dungeon dimmed the lights a bit, but The Secret World smashes the nightlight and makes you cry for mommy. On one occassion, I was forced into a pitch-black corridor leading into a destroyed escalator system. It was so dark I could barely make out my character’s silhouette, when suddenly a mob of people rushed up the escalator past me. Some were civilians, but there were definitely monsters mixed in there. Their cries and shrieks kick the audio into a frenzy as I panic—I can’t make out friend from foe in the chaos of total darkness. I just start firing my shotgun wildly. At this point, I’m content to take the good with the bad, just to move onto someplace where there’s light."

Yay to real darkness in MMO's, I've been missing it since EQ ^_^
  • LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Wow smh, thanks for that quote it got me super pumped! This game can't release fast enough.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

People can hate Funcom all they want but they do know how to bring something different everytime. AO, AOC and now TSW. If only they could give us one good launch, critics would be quiet for good.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Very nice read. Finally something that isn't  dumbed down, and hails back to the great rpgs of our time. Liked the fact  that you meet some of the hardest monsters already in Egypt after 60 hours play.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Good stuff :) thanks for the report.  All of it sounds great.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

problem with tsw is that it's not that well present to the public, imo with getting into open beta i would not even think of ordering it, afterall those failures e.g. aoc, war etc...

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well, def sounds like an interesting game.  The more I read about it the more promising it gets.  If this wasn't funcom I would be all the way on the bandwagon.  It also looks to be totally different from AoC, which is a good thing. 

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

a gameplay video is worth a thousand words.......

the reverse is not quite the same......

it is the sole reason I remain very skeptical about this game.....

• MoenskiMoenski Member Posts: 16

Elmintzer, you're blaming Funcom for WAR? oO

• FlexXlutorFlexXlutor Member Posts: 6

There is some gameplay in this short vid, looks good! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxoXLysITg

Also a lot of gameplay here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk57oisDDJ0

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Nice. This game could give GW2 good competition.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Elminzter

problem with tsw is that it's not that well present to the public, imo with getting into open beta i would not even think of ordering it, afterall those failures e.g. aoc, war etc...

Just wait with your order until you have tried it in Open Beta then, as Funcom stated in their press release: "and soon we will also be announcing several public beta events where hundreds of thousands of gamers will get to test the game prior to launch.”

I think "Soon" will be in May, but you might get lucky and get into the closed beta.

I have tried the game and I think this article is very well written and describes how the PvE part of the game works. Now I just want Funcom to give more information about crafting, PvP and the persistent warzones.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by FlexXlutor

lol, there is a lot of more recent gameplay videos, why did you pick the oldest ones? like 1-2 years old...

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by FlexXlutor

Those are about a year old and doesn't  really do the game justice.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Good read, still going to contain my personal hype on The Secret World. I've been waiting for this game for a bit now and it's good to hear how they are trying to make the game challenging as well as fun.

I like my games entertaining, but I don't just come to them for "free" rides either. There are many layers to having a good MMO and TSW is filling one most others (if any) never bother to. Hopefully they keep up the good work and keep fleshing things out till June.

BETA PLZ!

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by latinkuro

a gameplay video is worth a thousand words.......

the reverse is not quite the same......

it is the sole reason I remain very skeptical about this game.....

Same here, still waiting for some major demonstrations...

Immersion day ~ or was that actually an "hypnotism day"? image

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

The game looks more like a traditional mmo as it gets closer to launch. I mean how can you say it is levelless when you have "skulls" for mob difficulty and you are filling bars while killing mobs to purchase ranks of abilities/skills(i.e. Grind) as you vertically progress through content/maps? And how is it so free in building one's character when you need solid holy trinity design to be successful at content? 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by black_isle

The game looks more like a traditional mmo as it gets closer to launch. I mean how can you say it is levelless when you have "skulls" for mob difficulty and you are filling bars while killing mobs to purchase ranks of abilities/skills(i.e. Grind) as you vertically progress through content/maps? And how is it so free in building one's character when you need solid holy trinity design to be successful at content? 

This ^

I really feel like we are seeing a lot of the usual Funcom hype. Video demonstrations I've seen didn't do much to alleviate my fears.