Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard going ftp in europe

Comments

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Charas

I'd be interested in this game if it had PvP. As it stands it's just a PvE sandpark, boring.

For those many who say they would play a sandbox if it didn't have FFA PvP, this is it, they don't even have to pay for it.

Yeah, come to think of it, I'm sure this is a good thing for the sandbox genre as a whole. Like you say many people stayed away from sandboxes due to the PvP, now they will be able to discover the joys of sandboxing and maybe, hopefully, this will generate more demand for this type of game in the future.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

good news for vanguard ,even if soe opens a pay2win shop ... :)

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

This is some of the best MMO news iv heard in awhile. i do hope theres a buy out type of option where i can still pay to play and get everything insted or pieceing it together in the cash shop.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Good news but a few questions re: the linked forum post.

What is PSS1?
    Has there been any official announcement from SoE yet?

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

excellent news i jsut started playing eq2 for the first time ever cause it was f2p and have to say sony have done good job refreshing it during the years! ive been playing vanguard before and liked it but it was so empty i felt alone. maybe this will bring players back hopefully! good games to play until some of these majorlyhyped new titles comes out!

cheers

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Ingvar

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=515291

This is the best news i have  heard in a long time regarding MMOS. i always thought Vanguard would get lot more players if it goes F2P. SOE you are awesome.

b4 you call SOE awesome....wait untill the shops open up.

Well cash shops are given..it is F2P model after all. ATleast i will finally get to play with more players this time around.

well yeah.......you will be ably play for "free" untill you want to go some place that requires a payment (and then you pay 20 bucks for it if you want to do it) .....while the sub is 15 bucks.....guess who is making more money again on a game thats been in the bottom drawer of SOE?

There hasnt been a single patch since 2010.....so no thnx (and i realy loved this game to death once).

First they show the game love with a fiew patches and then i might come back.

Making it F2p just gets more cheap people who need their mmo-fix instead of people who care about the game and its community.

imho it's all going down hill.

Damned if they do damned if they don't.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Count me in.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Distopia

Great news, F2P typically means they'll actually start working on a title a little. One can hope, VG has great potential, all it needs is some love, and players.

I supect that, in SOE's case, it just means that they will work on the cash shop.

I love VG, and EQ for that matter, but I just can't find any trust or goodwill in what SOE says or does anymore.

VG should be made totally free, like the mac EQ, IMO, if for nothing else then to say thanks to all the fans that have paid in and got nothing back except server access over the years.

I think I will just sit back and wait for AA now for this type of game... it's basicially Vanguard 2 anyhow.

Heh, believe me as a PRe-cu SWG player, I hold a great amount of contempt for SOE, which is why I'll only play a game of theirs if it's free anyway. SO I agree fully with your sentiment here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

This is Pro7 not SOE we are talking about tho. Pro7 made a deal to publish all SOE games in Europe, and as all their games are F2P, Vanguard will turn F2P as well. But we don't know about SOE at this point.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    If they offer both Sub and F2P models this will be good. If its just free with only a cash shop, not good.

Hopefully anyone who was on the fence checks it out. And if you wont because of SOE, keep in mind that they dont even really bother Vanguard (which is a good and bad thing I guess)
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

This is the best news i have  heard in a long time regarding MMOS. i always thought Vanguard would get lot more players if it goes F2P. SOE you are awesome.

Well cash shops are given..it is F2P model after all. ATleast i will finally get to play with more players this time around.

well yeah.......you will be ably play for "free" untill you want to go some place that requires a payment (and then you pay 20 bucks for it if you want to do it) .....while the sub is 15 bucks.....guess who is making more money again on a game thats been in the bottom drawer of SOE?

There hasnt been a single patch since 2010.....so no thnx (and i realy loved this game to death once).

First they show the game love with a fiew patches and then i might come back.

Making it F2p just gets more cheap people who need their mmo-fix instead of people who care about the game and its community.

imho it's all going down hill.

Damned if they do damned if they don't.

yeah, prolly....time will tell.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err ... yes ? F2P of course comes with a shop. Are you somehow shocked now or something ?!? Thats what F2P is ...

Originally posted by Methos12

Great news, now let's just hope they don't butcher it in F2P transition the way they did EQ2.

In what respect did they "butcher" that ?

Originally posted by Phry

great news, crafting in Vanguard is better than in quite a few of the more modern MMO's too, Sony/SOE has taken a lot of stick last few years, im not saying its been undeserved, but, kind of wondering if this is just part of a step to improve corporate image, rather than corporate profits, if this goes well, along with planetside 2...  then SOE/Sony may well become one of my favourite MMO developers once again.image

Um, actually, ever since they raised the maxlevel to 55, crafting is in urgent need of an upgrade. The best crafted items you can do are now item level 53, req level 48 and FAR inferior to what you can get through quests and raids. And the later are rather trivial now with level 55, except for the level 55 ones of course (but the level 50 ones already result in superior items to anything crafted).

And during levelup, everyone starts on Isle of Dawn, then does United Races of Thestra, Hunters League etc now and gets items which are massively better than anything crafted.

I'd be interested in this game if it had PvP. As it stands it's just a PvE sandpark, boring.

That would be my main wish for a Vanguard 2, if that ever happends ... but yeah, sorry, Vanguard IS a pure PvE game, its PvP has always been crap and nothing can be done about it without massive recoding.

Originally posted by RefMinor

For those many who say they would play a sandbox if it didn't have FFA PvP, this is it, they don't even have to pay for it.

Vanguard is not a sandbox game.

Originally posted by Durray

Any PvP yet in vanguard?

PvP has been REMOVED. It always sucked, though, because the game was not designed for PvP in the first place.

Wrong, we got patches since then, only the website is hopelessly out of order.

Right now we have a full new city on test server. It has been there for a while, lets hope it makes

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Imo they are at least 6 years too late, [...].

Vanguard is 5 years old (and a couple weeks), so thats unlikely.

Yeah, come to think of it, I'm sure this is a good thing for the sandbox genre as a whole. Like you say many people stayed away from sandboxes due to the PvP, now they will be able to discover the joys of sandboxing and maybe, hopefully, this will generate more demand for this type of game in the future.

Vanguard is not a sandbox. It just has some typical sandbox features, like no instancing or a seamless world. But its a perfect themepark - you cant change ANYTHING about the gameworld. All it has is quests, dungeons and raids. Well and harvest, crafting, diplomacy, extreme worldsize, and everything in extreme abundance.

This is Pro7 not SOE we are talking about tho. Pro7 made a deal to publish all SOE games in Europe, and as all their games are F2P, Venguard will turn F2P as well. But we don't know about SOE at this point.

Can you please start writing the name correctly ? "venguard" is not even a word.

Its "Vanguard". It means avangarde.

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

If they offer both Sub and F2P models this will be good. If its just free with only a cash shop, not good.

Yes, then I would be gone.

Originally posted by Adamantine

This is Pro7 not SOE we are talking about tho. Pro7 made a deal to publish all SOE games in Europe, and as all their games are F2P, Venguard will turn F2P as well. But we don't know about SOE at this point.

Can you please start writing the name correctly ? "venguard" is not even a word.

Its "Vanguard". It means avangarde.

Fixed and I know what Vanguard means.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Seeing how Vanguard is a truly open world (minus APW)  and the underwater dungeon (cant remember the name) I dont see how they will keep people from going into areas in the FTP exception is APW. Which is an absolutely amazing raid dungeon.

Probably will do something along the lines of Cant equip Legendary items, Unless you get station cash to open it up. Maybe make 1 class for each of the Archetypes available.

IE Warrior, Cleric, Sorc, Rogue. Others will have to made available thru Station Cash.  Maybe make Max level 50 unless you pay station cash for upper levels.

If this brings light back to Vanguard I may go back myself. i have Station Access. But just cant stand to see the world so unpopulated. And you can only champion the cause for so long before you say. enough is enough. I will say. Tanks were way overpopulated (at least in my guild) which had me sitting on my thumbs in APW raids way to often. Especially since my guild leader and 2 offficers were tanks as well. (guess who got to the tanking haha)

I do hope they do something about armor. Maybe make appearance slots. I always hated running around looking like a mixed up vagabond.

But then again. I dont know if I will go back. I am really enjoying my time in EQ2 right now as well.

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32

Very cool news! There are systems in Vanguard that few if any other MMOs can rival and in terms of an overall full featured experience, it has few peers! I hope they invest a bit in updating the character models, animations, and other aesthetics of the game that are clearly dated and I believe hurt it from a perspection stand point.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I thought this might happen. And this is a game well deserving of some new life. My only fear is that SOE will mess it up by getting to greedy.

All die, so die well.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Stravas

Very cool news! There are systems in Vanguard that few if any other MMOs can rival and in terms of an overall full featured experience, it has few peers! I hope they invest a bit in updating the character models, animations, and other aesthetics of the game that are clearly dated and I believe hurt it from a perspection stand point.

Yeah, the character models could use an overhaul. The environments are still reasonably good though things like tree trunks could use some more polygons. NPCs also need better ambient animations and they need to move around some. The town are very static by today's standards.

All die, so die well.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I brought vanguard at launch but didn't last over the free month.. I heard there is no Pvp now? I guess they shut down the pvp servers? shame.. granted it wasn't very geared up for pvp but i did like the world design.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Never was there a game in existance less suited for ftp than vanguard. I wish I could forget about this game, but there is something aboout it... Well... let's see what happens when and if it becomes ftp.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Interesting news. Telon, even back in 07, felt empty. Wonder how the experience will fare with a greater number of players online.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I would wait for SOE to announce it officially before getting all OMG about it.  We all know SOE is converting all their games to F2P, EQ is currently in the transition phase, Vanguard will likely be next.  There's no telling how long it'll be before they make this happen with Vanguard.

One problem with VG is that Vanguard never had cash shops.  F2P games make a good chunk of their revenue from cash shops.  This means they would have to spend dev time adding a cash shop into Vanguard.  This would also mean they need to design restrictions to the game so they can offer different tiers of accounts.   And we all know how long it takes them to do anything or get anything done in Vanguard.  Vanguard doesn't use SOE engine so I expect to see something breaking when they attempt to add restrictions and cash shops.

F2P will be a good thing for Vanguard, as VG is a dying game it can use all the players it can get.  But F2P would also mean changes to what players are used to.  We'll have to see how they implement restrictions with tier accounts, and how they strip what people are used to and put them onto the cash shops.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Adamantine

Vanguard is not a sandbox. It just has some typical sandbox features, like no instancing or a seamless world. But its a perfect themepark - you cant change ANYTHING about the gameworld. All it has is quests, dungeons and raids. Well and harvest, crafting, diplomacy, extreme worldsize, and everything in extreme abundance.

Not totally true, since you can place and build your own non-instanced house in about 12 different designs, which stays in place, i.e. changing the gameworld to an extent.

Apart from that, it's fabulous news.

REALITY CHECK

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

Vanguard gets a new community manager. Could this be another sign for f2p?

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?section=News&month=current&id=1363

I was able to play this game when SoE gave out free subs to all games you had (even trial accounts) and it was actually quite fun. The problem is the game has a large group focus and there is not a large enough population. I think F2P would be great for this game, assuming the cash shop doesn't ruin the game.

And I say again, Pro7 said its going ftp in Europe. SOE has said nothing about F2P in the US.

• Skaara55Skaara55 Member Posts: 42

This was on the forums today.

At this time, Vanguard is not included with the ProSiebenSat.1 publishing deal.  If this should change we will certainly let you know.  You are welcome to continue providing your feedback about the overall plans though. We have gained some very useful insights from Vanguard players on the overall ProSieben deal and appreciate your input!

Oh well, better luck next time I guess.