Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All abilities seem to be on a independent cool down, gaming gear will have the advantage.

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/featured

After watching this video I was looking at the skill bar and the skills when used  seemed to beon there own cool down.

Why does it matter?....Well because this will only let players bind everything onto one macro button using Razer gear & programs alike.

In other words, Rift macros, some don't mind it,some may like it, I personally don't care but some will because the ones with the hardware will have a advantage over others in every way.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

P.S. yes I will makes tons of macros using Razer, sue me lol.

Comments

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

I think macros is a plague for MMORPGs. Furthermore, anyone with basic programming knowledge can write macros to bind to any key. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I just wonder if you can make macros good enough to see the opportunity for a cross combo, or if you are going to include some serious dodging in your awesome macros ?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

There is one major flaw with the issue you present. There is no set rotation, as a lot of the cooldowns are only useful in certain situations. At most maybe you can rotate between 2 or 3 weapon skills, but the mechanics just don't lend itself to the kinds of rotations I did in Rift.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it is probably why arenanet did this to make sure people would play the game the way it is intended!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

They're nothing like Rift macros, wow.

Enjoy blowing through all of your initiative, or whatever your profession uses by trying to make one macro.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Master10K

There is one major flaw with the issue you present. There is no set rotation, as a lot of the cooldowns are only useful in certain situations. At most maybe you can rotate between 2 or 3 weapon skills, but the mechanics just don't lend itself to the kinds of rotations I did in Rift.

Think he's not talking about a rotation, rather he is talking about to trigger more skills at a time for big dmg spikes. At least that's how I understand it.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

The ONLY reason someone would have an advantage (and its not really an advantage since everyone can do it) is, like forinstance you have a CC thats with a certain weapon equipped, you can use a macro to switch weapon cast and then switch back.

But as far as standing there casting one macro that casts most of your abilities, that wont be the case here since you are constantly moving and casting according to the situation at hand.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Warjin

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/featured

After watching this video I was looking at the skill bar and the skills when used  seemed to beon there own cool down.

Why does it matter?....Well because this will only let players bind everything onto one macro button using Razer gear & programs alike.

In other words, Rift macros, some don't mind it,some may like it, I personally don't care but some will because the ones with the hardware will have a advantage over others in every way.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

P.S. yes I will makes tons of macros using Razer, sue me lol.

umm...I am going to guess you haven't played GW1.  Binding all your skills to one macro button won't do anything that you are trying to do.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by jondifool

I just wonder if you can make macros good enough to see the opportunity for a cross combo, or if you are going to include some serious dodging in your awesome macros ?

I wouldn't macro dodge don't see how it would work seeing as how dodge is something you want to use at a certain times, however you sure can macro combos and other skills with a cooldown to your simple attacks giving the player a HUGE advantage over another.

Yeah I saw that, but still being able to make a macro that has you spam attack, cool down attacks & reactive skills bound to one button will give one a adavantage over another that does not have the hardware.

With my Razer Naga using Synapse 2.0 and seeing as there is really only 5 damageing attacks per weapon I would macro a macro like: example

1 (Nocost attack)

2 (Aoe)

3 (Range)

4 (Other)

5 (Other)

All bound to my button of choice having the attacks go off on cool down and spamming my no cost attack when the others are on cool down, i'm sure one wold have to sit down and fit macros tailored for that class or button but that takes seconds to do..

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Not possible, they are based on animations that's why they don't have cooldowns.

Yeah I saw that, but still being able to make a macro that has you spam attack, cool down attacks & reactive skills bound to one button will give one a adavantage over another that does not have the hardware.

With my Razer Naga using Synapse 2.0 and seeing as there is really only 5 damageing attacks per weapon I would macro a macro like: example

1 (Nocost attack)

2 (Aoe)

3 (Range)

4 (Other)

5 (Other)

All bound to my button of choice having the attacks go off on cool down and spamming my no cost attack when the others are on cool down, i'm sure one wold have to sit down and fit macros tailored for that class or button but that takes seconds to do..

However most professions have abilities that really shouldn't be macro'd together, like pretty much every single 4 & 5 skill. Like what is the profession you want to play? Because I'd like you to think of a build and look at the skills and tell me how you'd macro them. I just don't see the advantage, especially when someone can do all this (look at the skill-bar) without relying on macros.

Originally posted by paterah

Not possible, they are based on animations that's why they don't have cooldowns.

Don't you mean "global cooldowns".

People said the same thing about Swtor to me, guess what, I bound 7 moves based on cool down to one button and it worked well, now sometimes it would cause the action bar to reset the "Global Cool Down" (GCD) in a error because they all shared the same global cool down, but this doen't seem to be the case in GW2, from the looks of it all skills seem to have there own GCD and if thats the case then it would be simple to bind skills with combos or command cool downs onto one button with no feedback unlike skills tied to the same GCD.

• CaidenCaiden Member UncommonPosts: 38

A valid point, good sir!

In fact, having played Rift to max level, I know exactly what you mean about those macros. However I believe the other posts are correct in saying that with combat being more...I hate to use the abused word but...dynamic, simply mashing your face into your keys in hopes for victory will not be the best way to do things.

On top of such, I was quite adept at PvP in my days of Rift, and never used macros for more than a couple self abilities. More practice, more efficiency, better kills.

Just my two cents, or perhaps a good nickel. I do like me some nickels.

-Caiden

Edit: I would like to add, good people, that while using your skills 'immediately' upon the cooldown ending, you will simply be doing normal DPS, more easily, than a person pressing them in the same way. Same damage, one has less finger wiggling.

Lets hope my beta goes through, I'll do some crazy testing on this to see if that is the case.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

People said the same thing about Swtor to me, guess what, I bound 7 moves based on cool down to one button and it worked well, now sometimes it would cause the action bar to reset the "Global Cool Down" (GCD) in a error because they all shared the same global cool down, but this doen't seem to be the case in GW2, from the looks of it all skills seem to have there own GCD and if thats the case then it would be simple to bind skills with combos or command cool downs onto one button with no feedback unlike skills tied to the same GCD.

Some abilities in Swtor do not reset the global cooldown such as abilities that are based on procs. Again, this is a non-issue. Also, in Swtor cooldowns are not based on animations but you might sometimes see delayed animations but they are irrelevant to how the combat works. For example if you use Sith Warrior you can use Retaliation any time you like independent of global cooldown and even at the same time as one other skill if you like.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

I dont understand. I don't think you can macro your skill bar to one button and expect to win in pvp  And  lvl 80 gear is the same  defensive value respectively to their profession type (scholar, adventurer, heavy) in pvp except for insignias that are put on. 

Each skill has its different cooldown time. Guild Wars 2 isnt going to be a game where you can sit there and expect to win by pressing 1 all the time.  Macroing takes the fun out of games. Whats so fun about pushing one button to kill something? If you are like that GW2 is not for you. There is actually skill involved. 

Please if you have questions about this game go to wiki.guildwars2.com. This site has explanations of all skills currently revealed. 

-I am here to perform logic

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Some abilities in Swtor do not reset the global cooldown such as abilities that are based on procs. Again, this is a non-issue. Also, in Swtor cooldowns are not based on animations but you might sometimes see delayed animations but they are irrelevant to how the combat works. For example if you use Sith Warrior you can use Retaliation any time you like independent of global cooldown and even at the same time as one other skill if you like.

ToR is a run of the mill MMO.  GW2's combat system is completely different. I cant wait for MMO vets that arent Guild Wars players play this game. They will be worse than noobs since they wanna try to make macros instead of actually playing the game. 

-I am here to perform logic

Originally posted by Theonenoni

I dont understand. I don't think you can macro your skill bar to one button and expect to win in pvp  And  lvl 80 gear is the same  defensive value respectively to their profession type (scholar, adventurer, heavy) in pvp except for insignias that are put on. 

Each skill has its different cooldown time. Guild Wars 2 isnt going to be a game where you can sit there and expect to win by pressing 1 all the time.  Macroing takes the fun out of games. Whats so fun about pushing one button to kill something? If you are like that GW2 is not for you. There is actually skill involved. 

Please if you have questions about this game go to wiki.guildwars2.com. This site has explanations of all skills currently revealed. 

I think my point is that it can be done, and people will do it no mater what, sure I agree it takes the fun and skill out of the game but that alone will not stop people from doing anything to gain the upphand.

In gw2 there are may ground targeted skill so those you can not macro, but you can indeed macro the combo skills and skills that have a cool down timer to other attacks like your no cost attack, in a nut shell a player can bind gw2 skills to 3 or less button vs 5 or more.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

ToR is a run of the mill MMO.  GW2's combat system is completely different. I cant wait for MMO vets that arent Guild Wars players play this game. They will be worse than noobs since they wanna try to make macros instead of actually playing the game. 

Yes because MMO vets don't play any other type of game, and have no twitch skills to speak of.. Hmmm

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I think my point is that it can be done, and people will do it no mater what, sure I agree it takes the fun and skill out of the game but that alone will not stop people from doing anything to gain the upphand.

In gw2 there are may ground targeted skill so those you can not macro, but you can indeed macro the combo skills and skills that have a cool down timer to other attacks like your no cost attack, in a nut shell a player can bind gw2 skills to 3 or less button vs 5 or more.

I hope you realise you do not win anything by macroing abilities. Even in WoW where the game promotes macroing per ser you hinder your own performance by macroing since the skill system has considerably changed since vanilla and is no longer viable for macroing. Anyone who macros will be doing his own self a disservice unless he is really lazy.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

My guess is that you can't start another ability until the animation for the one you just fired finishes.  Just a guess, but it's a pretty confident guess based on the combat "flow" I have seen in the videos.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Creslin321

My guess is that you can't start another ability until the animation for the one you just fired finishes.  Just a guess, but it's a pretty confident guess based on the combat "flow" I have seen in the videos.

I can see a lot of people complaining about that if that's the case. IN PVP being locked into an animation can be very fustrating.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

At most you could macro a weapon swap(or toolkit/attunement) + skill use, anything more would be pretty pointless.

For example Swap+ZD comes in handy, or Meditation + Aegis.

Though I'm not sure what the problem is about macroing, what the problem is.

When you say "macro everything to one button" sounds extremely ignorant in this context, there's more to combat than simply just pressing the hot keys.