Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games that You play for Years (A Positive Thread)

EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Through the years I've played hundreds of games, but only a few have made me play them over and over and over.  Or in the case of MMO's, resub and resub and resub.  These are games that are so good to me that I just can't stop playing them, whether its because of friends, or an online feature, or its just so good!  It will be games spanning numerous platforms.

Here is my list:

StarCraft 1

Played for atleast 7 years, well worth the initial 50 dollars I spent on the battle chest (lol remember those?). 

Legend of Zelda: Link's awakening

My first Zelda game, played it over and over, got the sword that shoots lightning, all 3 orcarina songs... so endless.  So worth the 25 dollars.

Final Fantasy XI

My First MMO, initially played it for 4 years, then kept quitting and resubbing ever since.... must...resist.....resub

Sonic and Knuckles

Too fun for words, spent at least 3 years playing it.  Heck I still play it on emulators.  Never actually bought it, always played at a friends house or a daycare center when I was extremely young, or dl'd it haha.

StarCraft 2

SC1's predessecor, and I still play it!  60 dollars?  That's it?!  With the amount of time I've played it for?!

MarioKart 64

I just got lightning, and I'm going to wait until you are flying over a gap to use it ;)  Never actually bought this game either...

Those are my games that I couldn't stop playing when I was younger, or am playing now.  If you put any of them in front of me, I could still play them and be entertained. 

What are yours?

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Some of the Sid Meier Civilization games, maybe a couple of the Total War games, DAOC way back when, Mario Kart DS, Duke Nukem 3D, and a bunch of adventure games like The Neverhood are always good for a quick play through a couple years down the road. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

When I was younger my answer would have been very different. A Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, CS 1.6 (especially this one - I put so many hours into this game it is unreal).

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Warcraft III - mostly user-made maps enthusiast

Final Fantasy XI - oh boy, this game was my first mmo and really got my neurons totally have a party but sometimes there is always one crashing it haha

WoW - same feeling as ffxi in the start. played vanilla a long time, pvping most of the time, burning crusade i barely played, the other ones i raided and now i am completely fed up with these kind of games.

WoW pretty much destroyed potential long years in gaming, because now everyone wants to be like Blizzard.

Hoping GW2 or Archeage will give me new steam.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Final Fantasy XI.

God there is so much quiet love for that game. See it mentioned more and more lately (as with many of the older MMOs). :)

It was my one true MMO love. I'm fighting the urge to go and buy FFXIV even though I know it's just FFXI's ugly sister. I know they're improving it but I know it's going to be a terrible experience. Still.. my hope that it will become FFXI v2 makes me want to play it now.

I'm hopeless.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

VGA-Planets: One of the best, if not simply the best turn based strategy game ever.

The Mechcommander series: Brilliant RTS. The community produced an insane amount of campaigns and missions.

The Diablo series. I am not too happy about D3's RMT, but each to his/her own.

I am still playing the first 2.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The civilization series, not sure you can count that since it's a series but I've played them forever. And Alpha Centuri.

For an mmo, Guild Wars. I played WoW for a number of years as well.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

FFXi.. i always resub at random points just to see whats going on in the world. the game was the first mmo that made me warm on the inside.

Diablo 2 with the new mods.

thats about all i can think of that are online. the rest are classic ps1 and 2 games.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

my list would include;

secret of mana series

secret of evermore

Lufia series

final fantasy series - apart from the ones that came after 10-1

street fighter series

zelda series

and there are probably a few more i can't recall at the moment because i just play too much games in general :P

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

super mario bros.

super mario bros. 3

tetris

betrayal at krondor

civilization 2

I've got the straight edge.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Tirinas

my list would include;

secret of mana series

secret of evermore

Lufia series

final fantasy series

street fighter series

zelda series

and there are probably a few more i can't recall at the moment because i just play too much games in general :P

breath of fire series, arc the lad, suikoden. this is an awesome list though.image

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Eve Online, still playing it, definitely the winner for longest time spent playing for me

Played each of the Homeworld series several times

The God of War, Devil May Cry and Super Mario series; even though those aren't individual games I still keep playing games in those sets so I have spent years of time playing them, and I intend to continue doing so.

Counterstrike Source. I don't know what it is about that one, but it's friggin addicting!

Where's the any key?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Longest play for me would be old console ROMs on emulators.

There's an ancient one (mid-80s) called Elevator Action that I still enjoy.  Totally 8-bit with pixelized graphics in a side scroller environment.  I'd get all buzzed up bar hopping then stop at the all-nighter arcade and shove quarters into the game.

Now I just load it up on PC. :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Raphiel75Raphiel75 Member Posts: 16

1. FFXI hands down, first mmo ever played and I enjoyed every second of it. Now i compare games too ffxi. not that its supirior to all games but it holds alot of fun things and memories to me. havent played another mmo that did that for me, not even wow which i played at the same time. Also noticed others played XI for yrs and mentioned it also, its great to see others like/remember/play this game like i did. :D

2.WoW, i played it, enjoyed it, then moved on >.>, just wasnt as memorable to me as ffxi was... but i still put time into it. still dont know why.

3. Mana series also, always pull out the legend of mana every year and start over.

4.Resident evil series, good horror survival i tend to enjoy and find myself playing over and over again

5.Disgaea series, meh why not? luv the characters and the comedy with the over exagerated scenes and moves :P

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

Wurm Online.

Super Dodge Ball.

Tecmo Bowl.

Final Fantasy VI or better known as III.

Road Rash

MLB The Show.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

FFXI  , 5 years playing it (stoping some months here and there)

stoped like 1 year ago aprox. then they upped the max lvl , played it to 78ish and bleh ><

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

FFXI as other posters have mentioned, I'd go back to it tomorrow if i hadnt had to take a 2 years out due to personal reasons, to far behind to play catch-up.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

FFXI about 5 years

They just dont make quality MMO's like that anymore.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Only WoW and LoTRO

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

EVE is the game I keep going back to.  The depth and adrehenaline rushes are as good as it gets, and well worth any annoying things you have to deal with. 

Homeworld series, old turn based fallout games, and the Fire Emblem games, and Dragon Age 1 are things I keep going back to for single player.  And Soul Caliber in all forms.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

Warcraft III - Played for many many years, both playing custom maps and even developing my own maps.

EverQuest II - Played since 2005 and quit and came back many times. Such a great game (before the latest xpacs and f2p)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I keep coming back to WoW no matter what they do to the game. It has a ton of content and I have been playing it since launch even if it is on and off since launch.

Also Lineage 2. I don't know why, but I really really enjoy Lineage 2.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Starcraft/Warcraft RTS games - Played on and off over long period of time.

Civ games - Still play them here and there.

EQ - Played for like 7-8 years total

UO - Played for like 7-8 years total

DAoC/Vanguard - over a year, but left due to different reasons, still top 5 mmos in concept and enjoyability imo.

Madden games on console - not a junkie, but I have enjoyed them over the years.

I prefer MMOs, but the last 5 years haven't given me a lot of quality play, unfortunatley.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Civilization series (I still even play Call to Power sometimes - I like the idea of expanding into space)

Guild Wars (all games and EotN)

Soul Caliber 2 on Gamecube (with my kids)

I still play all three on a fairly regular basis.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

1. Mario Kart: Skill or cheap tricks all the way.

2. Populous: Possibly the most "therapeutic gameplay" ever invented, maybe Minecraft nowadays comes close with "Just One More Block."

3. Bubble Bobble: The best co-op game ever: You'll either become friends for life or worst enemies because one of you got too greedy and hoovered up all the power-ups/fruit rewards. lol.

All v replayable &/or social.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Unreal Tournament

Castles 2

Wizardry 1 and Wizardry 8

Still play each of those on a fairly regular basis.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Aha! Good thread, always a pleasure going down memory lane.

Here's my list:

FIFA series on PS when I was a teen. Only played it with friends, playing solo bored me but man did we play it to death.

Starcraft 1, my first online game. I didn't play it very long but I instantly fell in love with the online multiplayer action.

That lead me to...

Asheron's Call 2 ! My first mmorpg, what a blast it was, I lost a GF over it, I couldn't care less - I was a now a Tumerok in Auberean, screw real life!

I remember being at the store looking for an online game to buy, two games caught my attention, AC2 and DAoC, I had never heard of either (I was a complete internet noob at the time). I remember hesitating for the longest time between the 2, one had a cool medieval, round table theme and the other had weird looking creatures on the cover with flashy colors. In the end I went for the flashy colors, it had just been released and the box said it was "Next Gen!". Now that I know a thing or two about MMOs I sort of wish I'd gone for DAoC, but oh well, AC2 was alot of fun for a few months.

Then came SWG, yeah baby!!! A Star Wars MMO, my dream come true (I grew up on the SW original trilogy, watched each one hundreds of times). At first I didn't really like it, the graphics were mediocre, the animations were poor and pretty much everything in the game was either clunky, buggy or flat out broken. I stuck with it though and eventually fell in love. It's surely the game I did the most socializing in, by far. I usually stick to myself in online games but there no, I joined a guild, made friends, it all came naturally in that game - it's the only MMO I've played that had so much "social" content (going to the hospital to get healed by a player medic, then going to the cantina to get buffed by a player dancer/musician...that was alll great stuff).

Then came WoW...4 years straight of junky gaming...no comment.

It's all been down hill since then, haven't been able to stick with a MMO longer than a few weeks.

Oh i almost forgot Championship Manager, a text based football manager game, man that was so addictive, I played it for 48h straight once, without sleeping. It's the only offline game I've enjoyed ever since I played SC1.