Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sigh. So, GW2 is shaping up to be WoW 2 in many ways.

Comments

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by austriacus

How in heavens name did this thread get to become a discussion of what is a themepark and what is a sandbox. And why are people so black and white? As far as i can see a great deal of games that are claimed to be sandboxes are not complete sandboxes. Theres always a middleground. Thats why people nowdays are using terms like sandpark and themebox. We need more terms to define our games aparently since this two are not enough eitther.

how bout for theme park mmo we use disney world

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

How in heavens name did this thread get to become a discussion of what is a themepark and what is a sandbox. And why are people so black and white? As far as i can see a great deal of games that are claimed to be sandboxes are not complete sandboxes. Theres always a middleground. Thats why people nowdays are using terms like sandpark and themebox. We need more terms to define our games aparently since this two are not enough eitther.

Because it is a lot more interesting than simply answering the OP with the same thing for the hundredth time apparently with the need to also insult him like many are.

Sure you still can though if you want.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Due to historical reasons, the word "themepark" is really used as a short form of "WoW themepark". GW2, is not a "WoW themepark". 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

does this topic deserve 2 threads?

I've got the straight edge.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Because it is a lot more interesting than simply answering the OP with the same thing for the hundredth time apparently with the need to also insult him like many are.

Sure you still can though if you want.

i don't count myself as one of the people insulting him, i just don't see him with enough experience to voice his opinion. this applies to everyone who has only played wow not only towards him

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by brody71

read the title better. those are two opposite topics :D

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by thedarkess

read the title better. those are two opposite topics :D

ah, i see.

I've got the straight edge.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

It has been brought up in many different topics before. 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

What elements in this game make it a sandbox or even remotely allow to to skirt into the relam of the sandbox game?  Absolutely nothing.  There is nothing remotely in this game that would lead anyone that knows what a sandbox game is into believeing that GW2 has sandbox elements.

Want to know what games can be looked at as sandbox or sandboxish games?

UO

Xsyon

Vanguard

EVE

Darkfall

MO

Dark Age of Camelot

WURM Online

There are a couple of others that fall into this catogory.

These games share elements that can be catogorized as sandbox or sandboxish games.

Now tell me, what elements GW2 has that make it a sandbox or even a sandboxish game?

Can you build a house?

Can you plant crops?

Can you build a town?

Can you set up a shop?

Can you permanently claim a piece of land and hold it?

Can you build any structure?

What tools in GW2 do the game designers give you that allow you to permanently make a change within the game as the games above do?

Please - am am very curious what GW2 offers in the way of player controlled tools that allow players to interact with the world in a manner that makes a sandbox game a sandbox game.  Please, please, please...post a link to these features that GW2 has that makes it more than what it is - a themepark game.  

Originally posted by Teala

What elements in this game make it a sandbox or even remotely allow to to skirt into the relam of the sandbox game?  Absolutely nothing.  There is nothing remotely in this game that would lead anyone that knows what a sandbox game is into believeing that GW2 has sandbox elements.

Want to know what games can be looked at as sandbox or sandboxish games?

UO

Xsyon

Vanguard

EVE

Darkfall

MO

Dark Age of Camelot

WURM Online

There are a couple of others that fall into this catogory.

These games share elements that can be catogorized as sandbox or sandboxish games.

Now tell me, what elements GW2 has that make it a sandbox or even a sandboxish game?

Can you build a house?

Can you plant crops?

Can you build a town?

Can you set up a shop?

Can you permanently claim a piece of land and hold it?

Can you build any structure?

What tools in GW2 do the game designers give you that allow you to permanently make a change within the game as the games above do?

Please - am am very curious what GW2 offers in the way of player controlled tools that allow players to interact with the world in a manner that makes a sandbox game a sandbox game.  Please, please, please...post a link to these features that GW2 has that makes it more than what it is - a themepark game.  

I'm sure it will have beaches.

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Shouldn't the themepark vs sandbox discussion be in its own thread? Right mods?

Originally posted by DJJazzy

They locked thr other one and told us to use this one.

Considering some were using that as reasoning as to why or why it was not WoW 2.0 I don't see why it should. Wtf difference does it make anyways?

Oh, should I add right mods in here?

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

lol @ the poll results.

You should probably never make amusing joke options when doing polls, they are too tempting and banana is just fun to say! (I voted banana)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Considering some were using that as reasoning as to why or why it was not WoW 2.0 I don't see why it should. Wtf difference does it make anyways?

Oh, should I add right mods in here?

Maybe. I just find the moderation...inconsistent, that's all.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Why does it even matter if GW2 is a sandbox or themepark? It will still be fun and entertaining.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Because MMORPG .com forum goers can't spend a day without debating what a sandbox/themepark is and whether this game or not is a themepark/sandbox.  It's like an obsession.   Seriously just wish these terms would die.  It becomes less about whether the game is fun and has fun elements and more about whether a game has this feature that makes it a sandbox or not.  Search the forums, we have thousands of threads on this topic like this, and plenty that devolved into debates like this one.

What we need to do is stop trying to group games into categories and worry more about how good the game is on it's own merits.

Originally posted by Isasis

Why does it even matter if GW2 is a sandbox or themepark? It will still be fun and entertaining.

Beause someone had to state that GW2 had sandbox game play in it, when it doesn't, and then they went on to try to argue the point and still cannot list anything that suggest that GW2 has sandbox elements in it.

As for me, I think the game is nothing more than another themepark game.  Just a different take on it.  And as I said earlier, as long as the game doesn't bore me to tears within the first few hours of game play - it might be a decent game for what it is.

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Because MMORPG .com forum goers can't spend a day without debating what a sandbox/themepark is and whether this game or not is a themepark/sandbox.  It's like an obsession.   Seriously just wish these terms would die.  It becomes less about whether the game is fun and has fun elements and more about whether a game has this feature that makes it a sandbox or not.  Search the forums, we have thousands of threads on this topic like this, and plenty that devolved into debates like this one.

What we need to do is stop trying to group games into categories and worry more about how good the game is on it's own merits.

Yup this. Is the game good? Then it shouldn't matter if it is a sandbox or themepark.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Ok... sounds like WoW has changed a bit since I last played. Oh and if your going to make a post like this at least state all the facts, and get them right.

1.1 You don't HAVE to pay to respawn at a waypoint when you die, anyone can res anyone, regardless of class or skill loadout. They can even do it while your in the downed state (so you don't die); it's called teamwork and it saves lives.

1.2 You only get less and less downed time if you die frequently "each point goes away after one minute", so if you're going down 4 times in a minute your clearly in bad spot and probably should die.

Personally I love the idea of the downed state, it adds tension without being overpower (you still die pretty damn quick if your vastly out matched). I can't comment on the death panelty (armour repair cost) as I haven't played the game, but IMO it should be at least significant to the point that death is the last resort.

2. The mob AI is varied, how varied I don't know, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on one or two videos / press reports. Also, I don't know what videos you've been watching but mobs (with the exception of bosses / special mobs) seem to go down pretty quick and some of them do come in packs. Variety, it's the spice of life.

In conclusion, no I do not think ArenaNet needs to delay Guild Wars 2 or rethink their plans (with the possible exception of crafting, but again I haven't played it)... and this being an MMO, things can and will change over time, whether that's for be better or worse only time will tell, but I for one am willing to take the ride.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

I'll put this as an illustration of you, OP, and of too many looking glass maniacs recently :

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Yup this. Is the game good? Then it shouldn't matter if it is a sandbox or themepark.

You're assuming everyone enjoys games the same as you. To some, the gameplay exhibited in either style is part of the determinant for them as to whether it is a good game.

Why does this bother some so much is what I want to know? Big deal. As if there aren't a ridiculous amount of topics debated to no end on these forums over and over.

May as well pick any random topic here and bitch about it.

You're assuming everyone enjoys games the same as you. To some, the gameplay exhibited in either style is part of the determinant for them as to whether it is a good game.

Why does this bother some so much is what I want to know? Big deal. As if there aren't a ridiculous amount of topics debated to no end on these forums over and over.

May as well pick any random topic here and bitch about it.

Because I don't shove my opinion down other peoples throats. Some people like sandbox, great, some people like themepark, great.

It would be like if I went to a drama movie aimed for women...and started ranting and complaining and going into every detail why the movie sucks.

Of course, discussing why I don't like the movie is fine. But not if I spent 24/7 complaining and ranting about how much the movie and genre sucks.

Or in gaming terms. I greatly dislike EVE and SWTOR, but I don't go to those forums and complain 24/7 (like some do with SWTOR) about how much it sucks and how it should die and no one should have fun with it.

Because I don't shove my opinion down other peoples throats. Some people like sandbox, great, some people like themepark, great.

It would be like if I went to a drama movie aimed for women...and started ranting and complaining and going into every detail why the movie sucks.

Who's shoving it down yours or anyone else's throat? If by simply discussing it they are then what make you any different from them?

Everyone shares their opinions here. Just because what matters to them differs from you doesn't mean they're doing anything any different from you.

This discussion has been closed.