Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sigh. So, GW2 is shaping up to be WoW 2 in many ways.

Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

I never thought I'd actually say something like that, but I feel betrayed, and people need to understand fully what's going on as we approach release. ArenaNet are slipping things in which is making the game more and more like WoW.

I don't know why they're doing that.

I mean, that's appealing to the WoW crowd, and down that road lays madness and bankruptcy. And if they continue this way then they're going to end up with a flop on their hands, likely to the magnitude of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, or even worse.

So, two things have come up, that people need to know about.

1. The death penalty has become ridiculous.

Okay, so if you die, this happens...

1. You're downed, but every time you're downed after you lose 25% of your downed bar permanently until you're forced to 'die.' So, once you're downed you only get 75% of it next time, then 50%, then 25%, and after that you're forced to 'die.'

2. When you're forced to die, you have to pay a sum of gold to teleport to the nearest waypoint.

3. When you're forced to die, a piece of armour breaks.

4. When all your armour breaks, you have to pay again to repair all of your armour.

5. When the above death occurs, you have to pay for the teleport and for the armour repair.

If that's not WoW-like then what is?

2. The battles are looking more and more like WoW.

One thing the press has been noticing in recent builds is that not only is the AI pretty dumb, but it takes forever to kill a single mob. This means that you can have five guys beating on one mob and it can take over two minutes to kill. Does this sound familiar? Yeah, WoW.

Now, the approach I hoped they'd take would be more like CO or Guild Wars 1. Where you have a large group of foes, and some are responsible for healing, some are responsible for debuffing, and when you kill most of the group, the rest will run off to get help. This makes fights dynamic and interesting, because if you don't kill the right guys first, and if you don't kill the guys who run off for reinforcements, things can turn bad.

But if your situational awareness is good, and you know what you're doing, and you're skilled at the game, then the fights can go pretty quick until a new mob appears that tosses a new style of AI into the mix. That's the kind of play I was hoping for. But that's not what the journalists are seeing in Guild Wars 2.

So, instead of the CO or GW1 approach, it feels a lot like WoW. Many journalists have said this.

My conclusion.

ArenaNet needs to take a step back from this more WoW-like path they've taken and delay the game just a bit longer. If they release it in its current state, which is very WoW-like, then it's going to be a massive flop. WoW players will only leave WoW for about a month before they either go back to WoW or TOR (and I've heard of many TOR players getting fed up with that and going back to WoW already). It's going to go the same way as Warhammer Online. It doesn't even have a big Intellectual Property hook like TOR does.

So, who am I? Am I just some troll? Ha. I'm sure some will think so. I'm a very passionate person who cares about the state of gaming. I'm one of those "I actually give a shit." people. A rare breed. I've been around for a long time, I've been following Guild Wars 2 since it was announced in magazines back in '05. I've been here. I've been watching. And you've likely seen me praising GW2 in the past.

I like a lot of the promises that ArenaNet have made. I've praised them for those promises.

But I feel a little betrayed, because it seems more and more that ArenaNet are pulling a Blizzard and going back on all of their promises to make the game they think will sell. They've turned to greed, but if they're not careful then that greed will in turn turn to bankruptcy. I'm hoping that they'll realise this and step back. I just think they need to take a look at what they're doing and go back to the drawing board, to make fights more interesting without simply being timesinks, and to make death penalties interesting without making them grindy time/gold sinks.

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    2 things...2 things....2 mfing things...that are subjective.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Woah...  well I can't really comment because I haven't played the game.  It doesn't look anything like WoW to me though, and I don't see the relevance of the topics you brought up.  Death is a completely different system than WoW's.  It has a completely different skill system mixed with deck system than any other game I have seen and it looks to play nothing like WoW.  Where are you getting this info?  Are you sure it wasn't a boss or elite type monster they were fighting?

This just seems a bit much, sorry.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by RizelStar

2 things...2 things....2 mfing things.

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane! 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

its not gonna be a wow clone, The combat for one is about moving and stuff alot more , the team combo's are unique, The dynamic events change the world fora short time.

There is enough in this game that is really unique and never been done before in an mmo. Look there is no mechanic in any game u will find that hasnt been done somewhere before, in some form

That doesnt make it a clone, And from what ive seen about gw 2 and i hope i get in there beta that they have signups for to test it myself, This game could be a really unique game ina lot of ways.

Im tired of the wow clone crowd just because a game is a themepark, or the people who want a game that hs nothing familar in it.

its never gonna happen, Grind is in every mmo out there in some shape or form , its how well u hide the grind that determines if a game is fun or not.

Truth is a-net is giving u the game they have promised for months and the fact to many expected a complete  revamp of the mmo wheel isnt there fault. 

They are given u a diffrent wayt o fight, the dynamic events taht change the world for a short time, world vs word pvp , EVerything they promised from all the reviews of beta i read are in this game. 

What are u looking for.

ps im not a gw 2 fan , ive been a tor fanboi for a couple yrs and still am but come on its beta and really its not even close to a wow clone from everything ive read and ive played wow for 7 yrs.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

This is going to get ugly.

/covers eyes

/peeks through fingers

*shudder*

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i voted for bananas cause your post was too long to read.

I've got the straight edge.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Yawn.

They're going to make a game that they think will sell the most copies. 

If you don't like it, don't play. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

IF this wasn't a rigged poll i dunno what is, it's almost like the polls used by the republicans to determine support or to get so called "data" to support their wild outlandish claims about public programs.

Secondly, any game has a death penalty and not they weren't all the innovative in this area but to be just as wild as those we have to laugh at in the public service arena by calling this game WoW in any shape is to not have enough information to make any kind of claim. It's equivolent to Ann Coulter's claim that radiation in a fall out could save your life, seriously that's how bad it is.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

But will they have Pandas????????????

LOLPANDAS

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

I don't see the big deal. Sounds like over-reacting melodrama, no offense.

Also, "betrayal" is a powerful word. You need to have quite a large sense of entitlement to have something like this to lead to feelings of "betrayal". GW2 is not your wife, it's a video game. And it's not even YOUR video game, it's ANet's video game. Where do you get off being entitled to having feelings of "betrayal"? ANet didn't make any marriage vows to you.

• tloch14tloch14 Member UncommonPosts: 2

You have a lot of things wrong about the death penalty. Take a look at this article for more information. 

And don't lose hope over two mechanics, even if your information was correct.  To be fair, there are a lot of really cool things in WoW.  I don't mind at all if GW2 has all of the best things in WoW and none of the worst things.  I'm not saying it does or doesn't, but I just wouldn't mind it.

Chin up, and save the judgements for after you've played.  Others will play and judge for themselves and they can come to whatever conclusion they wish.  It's not like it hurts you if everybody keeps playing and you don't.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

1, the penalty is on a cool down so if you stay up for say a minute without going down then your downed bar goes back up to full.

A small amount of gold for dieing is not a real deal breaker, nor something that makes the game WoW. Game needed some gold sinks and a way to encourage not just zerging everything so they added some small incentives to not die.

2. Some mobs take time to kill, others do not. Thanks to the scaling nature of DE the boss does get more HP which does mean that it require more damage to take down but I do not particularly see a problem.

None of what your mentioning are WoW feature, most are common to every MMO or RPG in existence. Name one journalist, or one article who said the game felt like WoW.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I think people need to realize that this game is a themepark game with a twist.    It is not the next coming of gaming Jesus...it is just another themepark.

If any game will shake up the genre it will be ArcheAge.   It is the only game in the future that will put this genre back on the path it should have been going since the time of UO.  

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Biased poll is biased. Where's the option 'I don't agree the OP's first point equals WoWification and I don't agree with the observation made in the OP's second point'?

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Wow all that typing, for a troll post.  Troll's seriously have too much time on their hands, somebody lock this please?

• 17Omega17Omega Member Posts: 44

We shall see, I mean I tried it in GC and it was awesome, I saw the G Star video and it showed AI being smart and evading and doing some impresive movements. I do remember TB saying something about the press version being alpha, don't know if that's true but I'll try to get the source from his twitter. 

Originally posted by Teala

I think people need to realize that this game is a themepark game with a twist.    It is not the next coming of gaming Jesus...it is just another themepark.

If any game will shake up the genre it will be ArcheAge.   It is the only game in the future that will put this genre back on the path it should have been going since the time of UO.  

Sandbox mmos may be further away from where the genre is right now and may turn out to be a great game, but sandbox mmos will never shake up the genre for the simple reason that they are not nearly as popular as themepark mmos.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I'm not sure what it would take for people to stop referring to every themepark oriented game as being a WoW clone. It is such a tired concept anymore. Doesn't even make sense even though it is the hip saying considering what WoW took from earlier games.

As to this game indeed there are some similarities but there seem to be some differences in how they plan doing things as well. Is it going to be completely unique? No. Neither was WoW.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Do people even bother researching before posting nowadays ? 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

When Dream goes in, he goes in. Personally I don't agree but to each is own and why do your posts have to be essays of epic proportions? My eyes could die if i read all of that.

This is not a game.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The combat looks similar to wow except for the barrel rolls. But I know from playing too may fighting games that you never really know how a game feels until you play it for yourself. Over the top flashy effects have typically been an indicator of shallow gameplay in other games. But I will judge this one on its own merits when I finally get my hands on it.

crafting/gathering is typical wow clone. but what was I expecting in a combat mmo? cosmetic items, transmutation stones and color dyes in a cash shop that couldve gone towards making a more interesting crafting system imo.. shame

esport pvp... whatever, not my thing but i can see how people like it. takes away from what an mmorpg is trying to be imho.

fake 3 faction pvp on a timer... meh. same as above

Im tellin ya, the Dynamic Events are going to make or break this game. I for one think they will be the saving grace.

Just gotta get into that beta!!!!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

The way I see it, if you're concerned about death penalties, the thing to do is make sure you don't die very oftern.

That's the way I prefer to play MMORPG's, but I realize that I'm in the minority.

"Keeping it real in a MMO near you" image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The_Big_HThe_Big_H Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

1. The death penalty has become ridiculous.

Okay, so if you die, this happens...

1. You're downed, but every time you're downed after you lose 25% of your downed bar permanently until you're forced to 'die.' So, once you're downed you only get 75% of it next time, then 50%, then 25%, and after that you're forced to 'die.'

2. When you're forced to die, you have to pay a sum of gold to teleport to the nearest waypoint.

3. When you're forced to die, a piece of armour breaks.

4. When all your armour breaks, you have to pay again to repair all of your armour.

5. When the above death occurs, you have to pay for the teleport and for the armour repair.

I think you need to re-read the article because half of that if wrong. The death penalty goes away after a minute, it's not forever. And your armor doesn't break right away, it first gets damaged and then it gets broken where it does no good. So it actually takes quite as long. And I also think they got rid of the teleport fee when you die, "in the builds we’ve previously shown" makes it look like they got rid of the teleport fee when you die. 

Anyway the combat looked easy enough in the videos so I don't think it'll be too easy to die.

Also on your complaint about AI, it is still in beta, they might have dumbed it down to make it easyer to play and let you experience it more. It took look terribly easy in most the vids, so I do hope they make it more chalenging, not just add more health to the enemies. 

Originally posted by DannyGlover

cosmetic items, transmutation stones and color dyes in a cash shop that couldve gone towards making a more interesting crafting system imo.. shame

Considering this game is Buy to Play, how exactly do you expect Anet to make money?

• highvoltahighvolta Member UncommonPosts: 130

lol

This discussion has been closed.