Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would u pay?

AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

$300 for GW2.

Uhh... what?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

if Arenanet dropped the dodgy cash shop, then i'd pay $15 a month to play no problem..

otherwise..

-$1000,000 

simples ! image

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Phry

if Arenanet dropped the dodgy cash shop, then i'd pay $15 a month to play no problem..

otherwise..

-$1000,000 

simples ! image

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-09-28/guild_wars_2_pledged_not_to_sell_anything_evil_in_cash_shop.shtml

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

otherwise..

-$1000,000 

simples ! image

70$ monacles and a sub say hi

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Simplicity and cheeky cynicism notwithstanding, I think this is a legitimate question, and kind of fascinating from an economics standpoint.

Frankly, given the hype level on this beast, if I'm right to assume that they'll actually shoot straight with the cash shop, they'd be fools not to slap a $99.00 price tag on the game.  I'd pay it.  'be lying if I said I wouldn't.  More than that might make me wait until after release day, but maybe not long.

Let's assume for sake of argument that the cash shop is a non-issue, especially considering that there are really only two options here.  ANet will either 1, be completely transparent about what's for sale and what's not and stick to their published stance about not selling power, or 2, lie, but only introduce power items to the cash shop long enough after release as to insure that plenty of boxes sell before they get any backlash.  Either way I think being pessimistic about the cash shop is just cynicism for its own sake--appropriate perhaps, but it doesn't add anything to the analysis.

With that out of the way, I think it's a question of how gamers evaluate their entertainment value.  If I pay $60 for GW2, I'm essentially getting infinitely many play hours for nothing, given that that's the accepted practice in the industry for games and expansions (and assuming they ship expansions at the same price tag and on track with other AAA MMO's like WOW).  That's a little crazy from ANet's perspective.  If they price it $100.00, for example, I have to pay the game for four months before it's paid its opportunity cost back in entertainment.  If expansions come every six months--already probably too frequent for anything other than an old warhorse like EQ1, and even at that rate, I really think you can't get more than $60.00 for an expansion under any circumstances--I'm still more cost-effective playing GW2 than WOW.

That said, I think it's ultimately more a question of what the market will stand, and people who do this stuff for a living could probably tell us right out where the threshold is in dollars and cents.  I have a feeling it's closer to $60.00, and that's probably what we're going to see on the box, barring a collector's edition.  --not because the game is worth it or not, but simply because players are conditioned to expect to pay that for a game on the upper end of the price hierarchy.  Seventy bucks would probably be an upper estimate for anybody taking a guess.  More than that and ANet is directly competing with WOW or the WOW equivalent for its subscription dollars.  That might make Blizzard and Bioware very uncomfortable--and rightly so--but there's no sense splitting the market like that when ANet can potentially avoid the risk outright by coasting on purchase volume until it can fill a pipeline with cash shop income and get a fix on the expansion schedule.

Anyway, I say all that to say I'd pay a lot--but I won't have to, because others won't be willing to pay as much.

Peace and safety.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'd rather just pay the standard box price and then pay additionally for more than one character etc if i enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of paying over the odds for a game i've never played before as so many MMO's turn out to be duds regardless of the hype, hence why i never pay £100-150 for collectors editions, lifetime or yearly subs right off the bat like plenty of other people are willing to.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I wont pay anymore than $60. If its good I am more than willing to pay a sub or help support future development through a cosmetic cash shop. What I'm not willing to do is pay both a subscription and have to use a cash shop, cosmetic or not. Thats when I lost interest in WOW and havent really liked another MMO since.

The one thing I'm kind of afraid of with GW2 is them adding trait/class skill packs to the cash shop. To me thats buying power. They did it in GW1 and it pissed me off.

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Thanks for responses, it was actually for a class lol.  I wanted to see if people would be willing to pay more for a possibly superior product.  Turns out....majority of people that I interviewed think standardized pricing is more effective (which might be why companies cut so many corners now).  

GW2 development time and skills might be superior to other games (have to try it first).

Yet, other games, despite charging a sub and possibly having less playtime value....charge the same, if not more.

Uhh... what?

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Zero. As any other F2P with cash shop.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• FareasFareas Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Spiider

It's B2P with cash shop just saying.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Other F2P with a cash shop?

You seem confused son. This is not the game you think it is.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Either you think you can play without paying anything or you're saying you won't buy it because there's no monthly fee. Do you omit every genre outside of MMOs as well? Extremely few games require you to pay for them every month.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

over 9000$

sry i just had to do it :S

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

$60 for box, $120 for collectors, why would I pay anything different than other similar titles. 

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I'm sure it's going to be a reasonable box price, since Anet appear to be a reasonable group of people. No need to go overboard. I wouldn't pay a box price of $300, lol. I may be a fanboi, but i'm not stupid.

Archlinux ftw

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I would be more than willing to cough more than 100 pounds on the game. Although I do love collecting different skins and cosmetic items, I will be buying stuff mostly to show my support for ArenaNet. I did that when I was playing Guild Wars 1 and I will do it in GW2 as long as the game does not disappoint.

I have paid more for Guild Wars 1 than any other MMO out there. I have bought all their chapters at full price at about 30-35 pounds each which is about 120-130 pounds. Then I did buy a few copies for friends and I bought some stuff from the shop like character slots. I haven't paid that much for any other MMO except WoW.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by clbembry

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-09-28/guild_wars_2_pledged_not_to_sell_anything_evil_in_cash_shop.shtml

Thank you but i can't imagine why he would read that since he hasn't read the thousand other posts on the cash shop that have been out for a year that explain exactly what will be in the shop. image

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm sure it will be $60 to buy for regular edition. I think that's a fair price and it's what i got from their pricing announcement.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

$60 for regular box. $80 - $90 for a Collectors Edition.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Again. I would pay zero. Why is it hard to get that I don't like the entire concept and all this hype around it being revolutionary. It is not. I would play it if it was free, as any other F2P I tried.

I hope it's clearer now (in case anyone cares).

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

$60 one time purchase ....... Thats how much games are these days aren't they?  It is ridiculous how MMO developers charge a monthly fee plus charge you for expansions. 

The cash shop is cosmetic, no one can have an advantage over someone in pvp if they buy from the in-game store. 

In pvp everyone is maxed out automatically and the combat is based entirely on player skill. If you are dying you just suck and your gear for the most part has nothing to do with it.  So to those who think the cash shop will ruin this game, do your research first knuckleheads.

No game warrants a sub fee  , not even GW2. Subscriptions are for magazines, cell phones, direct tv, electricity. 

-I am here to perform logic

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

you can get it on pre order for £29.30p

here

http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/53405-guild-wars-2--for-pc

game have it  for £35

so im thinking  its going to be £40 in shops £30  online   like any normal game

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Depends on CE cost/content. If it will be interesting I am willing to shell out some extra cash actually, i rarely do buy CEs, especially for MMOs, but GW having no sub fee and shaping up to be a game that i actually might enjoy on and off without hassle may warrant extra spending. 

Nothing silly like Blizzaards/SWTOR CE's that cost like 200-300% of standard copy. 

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

to have it in my hands right now, I would probably fork up quite a lot of cash.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Nothing above the standard rate. Although admittedly if this game does offer everything it appears to then there is a good chance I would have paid the monthly $15 like you see in other p2p games.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.