Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Sign Ups Open for 48 Hours

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by NMStudio

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Kind of hope they are looking for higher end PCs. The gf is dying to play guild wars 2.

The gf and I signed up at the same time. We pretty much have the same build as well.

6 core cpu, 16 gigs of RAM, 560 ti sli with a slit screen set up.

They'll want a variety of PC's, but honestly I'm guessing all of the in=house testing they've already done is on very high end PC's.  They're most concerned with how the game runs on the majority of PC's... meaning a mediocre PC would actually give you a better chance.

You would be surprised. The few studios I have been to seem to be a bit slow at updating their tech. Plus some of the systems will be using production based gpus like the firepro and the nvidia quadro. While you can game on them, they are not optimized for gaming.

tbh i thinkt he real reason for pushing all to use the scannertron is to get data on the types of PC their primary market is running. There are more pro's than con's in picking the top PC builds for a beta as well. Usually tester experience, which despite NDA still manages to reflect either positively or negatively with word of mouth. Say someone with a poor peforming rig starts testing. They have severe performance issues, act "noob" and then because of it, start bad mouthing the product via forums and other avenues before its even released. OS and drivers for GPU might come across as more important aspects as well. If they are also in the higher end PCs, makes more sense to run those.

But this is just one artists perspetive. Each studio is different so you never know.

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

ok I guess this is legit

When the email sent me to a site wanted me to download and run an Exe for a DXdiag that I can generate with windows anyway I decided not to go for it.  deleted it.    I can wait.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by DSBHR

ok I guess this is legit

While being careful is a good thing, its pretty common these days for companies to use a tool to collect your system specs.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

For anyone who didn't receive a confimation email you can request a re-send here: https://beta.guildwars2.com/resend

ok I guess this is legit

When the email sent me to a site wanted me to download and run an Exe for a DXdiag that I can generate with windows anyway I decided not to go for it.  deleted it.    I can wait.

Its better than the dxdiag. Its limited info and allows for the developer to poll what kind of PCs player use. The exe checked out fine, it didnt request any permissions nor did it keep running after the system info generatation. This way they know that the dxdiag couldnt be taken from another computer.

If their exe was malicious, and it didnt come with a user agreement or terms of service stating taht they are not responsble for any damage, it means they can get sued to kingdom come if it was bad or invasive.

Needless to say, Arenanet nor the publisher NCSoft would be willing to risk that.

Its safe.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Just a FYI this confirmation email is not an acceptance into beta just so you know.

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

I dont even have confirmation email :( i did sign in.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Seems.like ncsoft is releasing its full wrath against Tera with aion and gw2. Lol

RIP Orc Choppa

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

Thank you for participating in our website load test. 

Originally posted by ChicagoCub

Thank you for participating in our website load test. 

Love your choice of avatar pic. "Who is John Galt?"

Major props for you!

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

it's cool that you can register for the Beta finally, but i prefer to just wait for the full release to get the max experience right off the bat =)

So What Now?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Zoyita

I dont even have confirmation email :( i did sign in.

It doesn't really matter unless you're worried you may have given them the wrong info e-mail wise. If you're concerned then go to the resend link mentionned a few posts up above yours or that others have linked.

...or you could go through the reenter steps again to verify they do indeed have your correct info. It is just a thank you message anyways. Still, use their retry link if it will make you feel better.

On a side note, it is a bit odd they don't have you type your e-mail addy twice to ensure no one screws it up. Meh...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

ok I guess this is legit

While being careful is a good thing, its pretty common these days for companies to use a tool to collect your system specs.

Yes....really nothing to be alarmed about.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• feralxferalx Member Posts: 1

Omg! Im so excited, i shit my pants!

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

Is anyone else hoping a bunch of people are signing up on the same comp with multiple emails? XD  Should raise our chances a bit :D

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120

Thanks!

Information like this is one of the reasons I visit this site daily :)

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Originally posted by arctarus

Seems.like ncsoft is releasing its full wrath against Tera with aion and gw2. Lol

Tera what? LOL..not even gonna do their beta...GW2 all the way.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

This is so awesome ! Was able to sign up. And yup this is why mmorpg.com is the best site that has kept me here for the best info for years !

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

pass, not downloading any spyware on my computer.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by clankyasp

pass, not downloading any spyware on my computer.

Awesome! One more potential spot for someone who knows what spyware is and is not. Another slot for someone that understands the concept of potential client specifacations and how GW2 would like to know the specs of the people that are testing the game.

For once ignorance may pay off!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Hopefully i'll get in, its the only chance im giving the game.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Originally posted by Woopin

Originally posted by dinams

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

Got my confirmation email yay!

Heh now let's see if they notice i ran their scannertron.exe from wine

Operating System Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processsor. MMX, 3DNow (6 PCU's), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 7990MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Graphics Card:  X11 windowing system (GeForce 560 Ti)

Graphics Memory: 1033.0 MB

Display Mode: 1920 x 1200

Not worried if i don't get in. But woud be cool!

windows XP?

Time to upgrade dont you think? xD

He probably has more chance seen as they want to test a wide configuration of PC's

Hmmm...

Has anyone got some floppy disks with a copy of Windows 3.1 on them?

* Needed urgently *

• KrysokosKrysokos Member Posts: 21

Signed up with 4 emails ;p.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Thanks mmorpg.com, I surely would have missed this without you.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by Krysokos

Signed up with 4 emails ;p.

The DXDiag itself is enough to tell them that it's the same person with 4 emails :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.