Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 fanboi's list of complaints

Comments

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Originally posted by crewthief

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

-snip-

I have some other pet-peeves

1) No character progression (AA system) at max level...

2) a weak crafting system

3)So far it seems in DE's people are playing next to eachother instead of together..

4) No information yet about how the game will look with fully scaled down graphics

5)Not enough trees and hills in the WvWvW areas that could give players with extended terain knowledges an advantage.

6)Only one type of structured PvP

7)Its not finished yet

Yeah, I would also like some other SPvP modes. When you say AA system progression, what do you mean exactly? Like realm rank?

No he means Alternate Advancement system once you hit max level. Something like Rift, AOC and EQ2 offers.

Never played any of those games. Wouldn't that be the same as Realm Rank from DAoC or WAR though? It sounds similar.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by fiontar

-snip-

I have some other pet-peeves

1) No character progression (AA system) at max level...

2) a weak crafting system

3)So far it seems in DE's people are playing next to eachother instead of together..

4) No information yet about how the game will look with fully scaled down graphics

5)Not enough trees and hills in the WvWvW areas that could give players with extended terain knowledges an advantage.

6)Only one type of structured PvP

7)Its not finished yet

Yeah, I would also like some other SPvP modes. When you say AA system progression, what do you mean exactly? Like realm rank?

No he means Alternate Advancement system once you hit max level. Something like Rift, AOC and EQ2 offers.

Never played any of those games. Wouldn't that be the same as Realm Rank from DAoC or WAR though? It sounds similar.

Hmm you can say that those are also AA but in Rift, Aoc and EQ2 you get extra set of skills to make your character more powerful. It just lets you progress your character further than artificial level caps.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I only agree on point 2 and only partially. If the whole wall can be breached the defending will be impossible.

BTW players cant brech the wall, they must use siege weapons. Or it will take forever.

• aguliondewaguliondew Member Posts: 95

Answer to 5 why their are no mount. The develop's felt that mount take away from the scale of the game. They do not want players to rush through areas or content just because they can. In wow you are riding on your mount everywhere which making the world seem smaller than it really is. If you what to get somewhere use one of the waypoints. They will not add mounts.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by Mephster

My biggest concern will be the level of difficulty. I just pray that they do not dumb this down just for the sake of sales. It needs to be challenging but not impossible because easy = boring.

So true! Everyone today says it helps them feel heroric. If it is to easy I probably won't play it.

Haven't cared about an MMO in 8yrs because they are all to easy and not challenging enough to entertain. Funny how games get so much easier now, when I was growing up they just got harder. It is like they are de-evolving and soon we will be playing pong again on easy mode.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Stop it with the goddamn mounts already. Mounts are terribad. Nothing more than another cheap, greasy carrot to ingest while visiting the themepark. It's quite odd to me that players lament about how much they crave adventure and exploration in a MMO and then call out for mounts in the same breath. 

As for mounts in WvW, totally. Forget  20 foes on foot charging at you, some already casting their range attacks creating a sense of imminent danger. Nah, let's have 20 mounts pogoing at you while you wait on your own mount. Eventually when everyone is snout to snout--suddenly the all the epic mounts vanish and the fight can commence! Now that's smooth warfare lol

• SirlapSirlap Member UncommonPosts: 8

1.) Collision Detection - I was watching one vid were someone ran around a huge rock outcropping and was still getting blasted by lightning bolts shooting through the rocks. Having collision detections adds so much more to the game play or at least if possible add it to the combat part of it as LOS should be a valid tactic in combat.

2.) I think that jumping should be tied to the dodge bar mechanic

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by gotha

My only complaint is too many damn particle effects.  This might help with perforence issues also.

The amount of effects is something I'm hoping they tone down as well. It is a visual game though, they need to find a balance.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

mesmer needs a nerf already and I can prove how OP they are as soon as I get the beta invitation :b

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by gotha

My only complaint is too many damn particle effects.  This might help with perforence issues also.

The amount of effects is something I'm hoping they tone down as well. It is a visual game though, they need to find a balance.

hopefully the particle effects is something that you can modify on the video settings like in other games; I don't have a high-end PC, so i always tone down special FX, specially  for PvP

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I agree with pretty much all of the OPs points.  I'll add a few myself:

1.  The death penalty.  It's the standard durability hit you see in most games with a few differences.  I really just feel it's a flat out unnecessary timesink and there are better ways to make death hurt (put the waypoints further away from combat areas for example).  Plus you'll get instances where people forgot to repair and you have to wait for them to go repair due to their stupidity.

2.  Crafting / harvesting doesn't seem to be innovative or anything.  I know there is little information about it right now, but from what I can tell it's just the standard we see in most MMOs.  This is one area they certainly could have improved on.

3.  No housing feature likely to be at release.  Yes there are guild halls, but no personal housing.  I hope they add it as a later content update.  I'm hoping for something along the lines of EQ2's housing system, with more social rewards to get you to want to visit other's housing.

4.  I want to see more organized PvP modes than Conquest.  It's a good start, but it would be nice to see some CTF or TDM style maps.  It's actually a good thing that they are focusing on a single mode for now, but I hope in the future they implement some new modes.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Magnum2103

I agree with pretty much all of the OPs points.  I'll add a few myself:

1.  The death penalty.  It's the standard durability hit you see in most games with a few differences.  I really just feel it's a flat out unnecessary timesink and there are better ways to make death hurt (put the waypoints further away from combat areas for example).  Plus you'll get instances where people forgot to repair and you have to wait for them to go repair due to their stupidity.

2.  Crafting / harvesting doesn't seem to be innovative or anything.  I know there is little information about it right now, but from what I can tell it's just the standard we see in most MMOs.  This is one area they certainly could have improved on.

3.  No housing feature likely to be at release.  Yes there are guild halls, but no personal housing.  I hope they add it as a later content update.  I'm hoping for something along the lines of EQ2's housing system, with more social rewards to get you to want to visit other's housing.

4.  I want to see more organized PvP modes than Conquest.  It's a good start, but it would be nice to see some CTF or TDM style maps.  It's actually a good thing that they are focusing on a single mode for now, but I hope in the future they implement some new modes.

War should not be about capturing flags, or cute little instances with balanced teams. That's whats made PvP so horrible in most WoW clones.

And there really needs to be an ACTUAL death penalty, not a gear hit.

My biggest issue is that there's too much instancing and you can instantly teleport anywhere, so the world is just trivial.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Your home instance is your house!

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The only thing that really bugs me is the invisible walls. Ive seen people run into a few of them while watching videos the past couple days. There may not be very many, but they just bug the hell outta me. SWTOR has em all over the place and it sucks.

The other stuff like crafting, mounts, particle effects are things that can be tweaked or adjusted over time. Not sure how much of a pain it is to remove those damn invisible walls though.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by Kalfer

Ugh... MORE instancing? Why can't we have houses out in the world for people to visit? This game is shaping up to be too close to WoW and its clones for comfort...

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Have you guys every wondered what the glowy parts of the keeps are? I'm assuming they are the alternate routes people can take into the keeps, people just couldn't build anything (or even shoot the damn thing properly enough) to break the walls down.

This is not a game.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Garvon3

Ugh... MORE instancing? Why can't we have houses out in the world for people to visit? This game is shaping up to be too close to WoW and its clones for comfort...

And?

This is not a game.

• EntiochEntioch Member Posts: 49

The game is still a themepark, albeit an innovative one with a new direction, but a themepark nonetheless, odds are it wont get player housing. If its that big an issue for you you may want to consider another game.

uhm, instancing is how they tell the story. WoW does not even have this feature, so there is nothing "too close to WoW".

Originally posted by Zeroxin

And?

And WoW clones are generally horrible MMOs.

uhm, instancing is how they tell the story. WoW does not even have this feature, so there is nothing "too close to WoW".

I said WoW and its clones. I prefer houses to actually be a public space. Whats the point of decorating a house only you and 1 or 2 real life friends can ever see? There is none.

I said WoW and its clones. I prefer houses to actually be a public space. Whats the point of decorating a house only you and 1 or 2 real life friends can ever see? There is none.

Everyone can see it. You just have to invite them. Much like you would in real life. 

I havent played a MMO that had public housing since SWG.Obviously, with the dynamic events and everything they got going in this game, that would not be possible. 

• EntiochEntioch Member Posts: 49

So basically Guild Wars 2: The sims?

I dont understand why your upset, there are plenty of design choices to be upset about in Guild Wars, and your whining about them not having something they never said they would have, that is wildly insignificant?

Im washing my hands of this.

Everyone can see it. You just have to invite them. Much like you would in real life. 

I havent played a MMO that had public housing since SWG.Obviously, with the dynamic events and everything they got going in this game, that would not be possible. 

Real life? Wtf? Are you trying to tell me that if I go outside right now, I wont see any houses unless someone invites me to their house, then suddenly it'll appear?

Seriously, have you just not played any MMOs? And I didn't say allow houses to be placed anywhere, I only said for them to be in public space. DAoC, LotRO, Vanguard, Darkfall have all had houses in a public space. Some houses even leave their doors open for people to go in and admire their trophies. Can't do that if your house only exists for you and 1 or 2 friends.

Between this, the rampant instancing, the instant teleportation, and the lack of death penalty... I'm starting to lose sight of whats so appealing about this game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

1) There was a story about a guy trying to jump into that big old hole in Divinity's reach but he couldn't do it because of all the barriers and even invisible walls! WTF?! I thought invisible walls are something we left behind us? Why shouldn't I be able to commit  suicide with my character if i feel like it?! This a blatant case of hand-holding and limiting player's choice without adding anything at all to the game. Do the map designers really think that someone would rage-quit their game if he managed to find a away to throw himself down a hole? I really don't think so.

I saw this one too, and yeah I want to jump in pits if I want to :).  I loved being able to fall to my death off Teldrassil in WoW...why put the training wheel on ANet?  Falling off a high place and dying horribly makes the world feel more immersive for some reason...lends a feeling of danger to pits.

2) Door bashing in WvW. Ok, what's with that? As I recall we were to be able to take down WALLS with our siege engines, remember? You know, more points of entry, more strategy, less lagg because players will spread around more? However it pains me to say it, it does remind me of... WAR... (gasp, I said it!)

Yeah I had heard walls could be damaged as well...still not sure if only doors can be damaged but I did see that from videos.  Multiple points of entry is pretty critical to strategy in keep sieges.  Having a single point of entry can make a siege very boring.

3) The Kotaku dude's PC crashing. Right, I'm playing a bit of a devil's advocate here, but... The guy obviously did have a crappy PC or didn't know how to set up recording properly or had everything to the max or whatever, but imo there are going to be a lot of guys like that come release. Imo ANet should really take care to add some idiot-proof game settings or auto-gfx or something to prevent 1000s of people like that yelling that the game is "broken" just because they don't know how to set up gfx on their machine.

It's early beta, expect crashes :).

4) No sprinting. At least I didn't see it anywhere. I would really like to see sprinting mechanic tied to the dodge energy meter. I made a whole thread on it here so I won't go further into that.

5) Now when I'm looking at things imo mounts would be cool in WvW at least... especially if there is no sprinting.

For both 4 and 5...I just want to way to get from point to point quickly.  If I ever have to watch my guy autorun through an area I've already been for no reason other than travel for more than like 5 minutes then I will be annoyed.  I HATED the walking from SWTOR, and I don't want it in GW2.

6) Those skill points or trait challenges or whatever.. you know when you get in-game currency to purchase traits? I don't like that. I'd like it more if specific traits or skills were obtained by specific achievements. Imo it would give a bit more.. hmm.. dunno. I'd like it better that way.

I actually prefer the currency system...to each his own.

and finally... I know:

7) It's not out yet!

I agree :).

So, that's my 7 pet-peeves about GW2 at the moment, from a self-professed fanboi. If you have your own, come and share. No one will think you any less of a fan if you do unburden yourself here. :)

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?