Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Scores Nomination for Best Debut in BAFTAs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has scored a nomination for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) award for Best Debut Game for Rift. Rift is the only MMO nominated for a 2011 BAFTA.

Check out the full list of nominees on the BAFTA site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

The only MMo nominated?  Wonder why TOR didn't at least get a nomination?

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

cause its an ugly piece of dirt :)

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

wow congrats to Trion Worlds.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by crysent

EA forgot to pay proly :P

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'm glad TOR isn't nominated.  They don't deserve winning anything because their success only stems from riding the tails of one of the largest IPs in the past 30 years.  

Congrats, Trion.  Your hard work has paid off.

Originally posted by elocke

I'm glad TOR isn't nominated.  They don't deserve winning anything because their success only stems from riding the tails of one of the largest IPs in the past 30 years.  

They may or may not deserve winning anything but why would they at least get a nomination?  Rift wasn't exactly ground breaking or incredible either.

It seems kinda silly to me to be congratulating them if they are the ONLY mmo even nominated?  sounds kinda silly..

Seems kinda silly to me to congrats them when they were the only mmo even nominated.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

They may or may not deserve winning anything but why would they at least get a nomination?  Rift wasn't exactly ground breaking or incredible either.

It seems kinda silly to me to be congratulating them if they are the ONLY mmo even nominated?  sounds kinda silly..

If you look at what category Rift was nominated in, it's BEST DEBUT. Bioware has been around the block a few times. ;)

Trion is a new kid on the block and gets a Best Debut nomination as a new company with its first title.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

If you look at what category Rift was nominated in, it's BEST DEBUT. Bioware has been around the block a few times. ;)

Trion is a new kid on the block and gets a Best Debut nomination as a new company with its first title.

Ahh - I see, it was a studio award?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Hahahaha... yeah and RIft didn't ride the tail of WOW's success. Thanks for the laugh.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Because it wasnt a debut game?

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Alyvian

I'd take my story based ugly piece of dirt over your generic crappy PQ wow wannabe any day of the week :P

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Hahahaha... yeah and RIft didn't ride the tail of WOW's success. Thanks for the laugh.

QFT Some people on these boards just like to see Trion as, 'the little guy fighting against the big bad coops', and will ignore anything that highlights similarities.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Guild Wars 2 should be in there and win ;)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Omnifish

QFT Some people on these boards just like to see Trion as, 'the little guy fighting against the big bad coops', and will ignore anything that highlights similarities.

And its not like Rift was a small budget game.  50 mill is a lot, thats twice eq2's cost.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

Trion has done an amazing job with Rift and as a new company coming in. Grats to them, wether you like rift or not you can't deny its a very polished and successful game. Trions upcoming titles look promising as well. Not many new companies accomplish what they have already.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

From the competition I think Rift has it for sure.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

That was rude.  On that note, it rode the tail of WoW's success but now stand on it's own.  I don't see Blizzard popping content patches out every other month.  I don't see the customer service Trion has given me in the form of free gametime, free server transfers and veteran rewards coming from Blizzard OR Bioware.  So yes, Trion is AWESOME and deserves the recognition. 

• Ice_HoleIce_Hole Member Posts: 22

I'd take my story based ugly piece of dirt over your generic crappy PQ wow wannabe any day of the week :P

Just give it a bit.  endgame is non existant, bugs and exploits are rampant, and Bioware is proving themselves to be rather incompetent when it comes to fixing anything.

The game is fine for a bit, lower levels are even good.  Once you hit endgame, and complete the entire thing in a few days, you go out to pvp and realise what a joke that is, you run into the guys with 200 mil credits they amassed in a matter of days, etc.  There is no game, it just ends, no endgame progression, no content.

Besides, enjoy your hallways, the same elevators over and over and over again.  Repetative cut and paste environments the game makes you revisit all the time.  Who the hell wants to walk down the same RP hallway on 4 different worlds, when it is just the sale hallway with 2 teleports on each end.  The hallway is nothing but that, just a teleport to a teleport.  Yet someone decided it was important to have this entire zone in the game for people to walk through over and over for what reason?

You can have your TOR and eat it too.  Because ultimately, that is what EA and Bioware are going to have to do.  Hoefully the IP is worth it for them, and draws in enough customers to pay the bills.  I personally see another AoC type fail (Although I think AoC actually managed to get more than just the box cost out of me, TOR didn't even manage that.)

- Ice_Hole

• OblivvionOblivvion Member Posts: 5

Congrats...but also, so sorry, Rift.  It wasn't groundbreaking, and it doesn't have the story dynamic that Star Wars does with the class stories as they progress up to level 50.  The lore can get a bit lackluster and have a standard us-against-them fantasy setting feel to it.  You see, all the stories in SW, both faction sides, are really good (especially Imperial Agent class for the secret agent / action rogue feel some people apparently enjoy).  The storylines are individualized by class and very progressive, which is lovely.  If Rift put some more effort into making more storylines and alternate storylines and alternate questing areas as one progresses through their game, it would be a vast improvement and a lot more immersive and fun.  You know, instead of so many festivals and a class skill revamps (*cough* nerf bat due to pvp whiners which started to effect pve play *coughcough*) every week or two weeks.   I might've stayed, but after you've gone through each faction's leveling zones once over, there's not much left to do but cruise through it on alts like a robot, and then park and wait to grind out barter items for festivals. I'm surprised I lasted nearly a year, but I ended up going back to my other mmos for a smidge and then moved on to SWTOR (which, even this early in it's game life, so to speak, I think deserved the award more).  *shrug*  I don't regret the decision, and while it was good while it lasted, it got old very quick.  I hope Trion (who seems like they are really trying hard to accomidate everyone's wishes) will stick to some of their original gameplans, because too many cooks in the kitchen tend to ruin the recipe.  I think, whle there were some good ideas implimented, there were also several lackluster ones that time and effort could've been better spent adding in new zones and some real story stuff that didn't revolve around rift invasions (that everyone was sitting around waiting to kick off).

Especially bad was the removal of the pvp flippable waypoint keystones - which once used to be able to kick off invasions or for daily quests (you could earn a barter stone for gear from doing them).  Huge downer when they removed those without saying much at all, and then never added them back in (or they didn't, by the time I'd left).  It was one way to make the sitting around and waiting for major invasion to start, a little less tedious.

Ok, so Rift wasn't too terribly ground breaking, no.  But also, gamers need to realize that MMOs aren't going to be earthshatteringly groundbreaking, but I expect people will bail for Guild Wars 2/Tera/Secret World (which I also think won't live up to the hype).  People aren't going to find many - if any - mmos that are groundbreaking, because they have to follow the same game play dynamics.   It's the same with FPS games also, for the most part.  So this, that, or the other game aren't going to be so mind blowingly different, because they will have the same mechanics as to not alienate players and be able to point-and-shoot (so to speak) from the instant people pick up the game.  If people are looking for something different, I suggest console games.  Otherwise, expect the same formula, remixed, over and over again.

However?  What keeps people playing is that they feel like a hero and the story is grabbing them.  Grinding public invasions via raid parties wasn't covering those bases for me and a lot of my friends, so we bailed.

atleast we got raids that need more as one braincell and 5 spare minutes to clear :)

• Jediknight2kJediknight2k Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Ice_Hole

Just give it a bit.  endgame is non existant, bugs and exploits are rampant, and Bioware is proving themselves to be rather incompetent when it comes to fixing anything.

The game is fine for a bit, lower levels are even good.  Once you hit endgame, and complete the entire thing in a few days, you go out to pvp and realise what a joke that is, you run into the guys with 200 mil credits they amassed in a matter of days, etc.  There is no game, it just ends, no endgame progression, no content.

Besides, enjoy your hallways, the same elevators over and over and over again.  Repetative cut and paste environments the game makes you revisit all the time.  Who the hell wants to walk down the same RP hallway on 4 different worlds, when it is just the sale hallway with 2 teleports on each end.  The hallway is nothing but that, just a teleport to a teleport.  Yet someone decided it was important to have this entire zone in the game for people to walk through over and over for what reason?

You can have your TOR and eat it too.  Because ultimately, that is what EA and Bioware are going to have to do.  Hoefully the IP is worth it for them, and draws in enough customers to pay the bills.  I personally see another AoC type fail (Although I think AoC actually managed to get more than just the box cost out of me, TOR didn't even manage that.)

- Ice_Hole

Rift's end game in the first month was equally if not more non existant than SW:TOR.

How much progression do you expect from a newly launched game.  Rift's only raid at lauch was Green Scale Blight and then there was nothing.  The instance was cleared within 3 weeks of launch.

The obvious lack of content in Rift within the first year led to free server transfers because the popultion died rather quickly.

swtors end game was cleared whitin days of people hitting max level, your point?

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

Well congrats Trion guys! ...even if some nominations sounds like a joke (a sequel nominated for Innovation? rotflmao), anyway i think as indepependent company they deserve this nomination just for the effort put into this game: just try and copy paste every single line of patch notes it had in one year in a single text file and you'll get an idea.

Beside, the game is very polished, class system is very nice, art direction is good and sound engeenering is just awesome. As for the rest of the game it is mostly based on a succesfull clich

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Jediknight2k

Originally posted by Ice_Hole

- Ice_Hole

Rift's end game in the first month was equally if not more non existant than SW:TOR.

How much progression do you expect from a newly launched game.  Rift's only raid at lauch was Green Scale Blight and then there was nothing.  The instance was cleared within 3 weeks of launch.

The obvious lack of content in Rift within the first year led to free server transfers because the popultion died rather quickly.

It was cleared by guilds that tested that stuff. No guilds tested TOR's and it was still cleared faster and explains why it's still a buggy mess.

Rift's content the first 3 months completely blows away TOR's. We're at the 3 month mark now, let's compare it that way.