Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Ripper X's First Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ripper boldly heads to space and jumps into Star Trek Online, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by Cryptic Studios based on the popular Star Trek series created by Gene Roddenberry. Check out Star Trek Online: Ripper X's First Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Just a critique, you always, always spend too much time showing the creation in games, show us a bit sure, but get it done and show us the gameplay before someone clicks away from your vid.

We want to see how th game plays, now how 'pretty' you can make your character :P

BTW i think I met u ingame a while back :D

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

for real. all i ever see is the back of my characters head anyway :)

• JimMorenoJimMoreno Member UncommonPosts: 21

Another one of my fun fave MMORPGs. Very good balance of land and space combat and non-combat quests. Also love the time spent roleplaying as both Federation and Klingon.

Jim H. Moreno

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I do have a big soft spot for this game despite myself really........Seriously, that fact keeps me up at nights. Good Vid Ripper.

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122

I don't agree with AtmaDarkwolf and iamrta that there should be less about character creation:  

The first thing I see after logging in, the first impression of the game (to me) is customer creation...

and guess why I never played WoW: a first glance at the character creation and I considered the game as 'not for me'.

I mean I'm sorry and I may come across as shallow but having a character that I actually like looking at is rather important to me.

And usually I'm not really looking at the back of the head but a (fair) bit lower ;-)

Obviously, one can argue that there are ample of character creation videos for just about every MMO on the net... but so are gameplay videos...

I think RipperX does a good job showing what I'd consider a gamer's first impression of a game: character creation and first steps.  

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Just a critique, you always, always spend too much time showing the creation in games, show us a bit sure, but get it done and show us the gameplay before someone clicks away from your vid.

We want to see how th game plays, now how 'pretty' you can make your character :P

BTW i think I met u ingame a while back :D

As I have yet to spend less than 20-30 minutes creating any of my characters, including each of my BOs, I think he could have spent slightly more time showing off the character creator.

Overall, it was a good look at the early part of STO.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Looks better than SWTOR.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by marzatplay

Looks better than SWTOR.

And plays a lot worse... 

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

After trying this game shortly after launch I was very dissapointed. About a month ago I gave it another try and thought it would be a nice change of pace from my main game, LOTRO. Now STO is somehow the game I log into everyday. I especially enjoy the exploration missions.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

When the only strong point ( and I use that loosely, since it's by no means the best in the industry ) of the game is the character creation and the game is lacking in almost every other aspect , you're going to lead and focus on the strongest parts of the game . Cryptic has always touted this and has been part of their advertising strategy.  Oh and he failed to mention to pretty well do every interaction in the game , just press F key. Basically this is just another advertisement vid for STO .  What happen to the cheesy Capt Kirk impression , it faded after 5 mins in ?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Candomble

Originally posted by marzatplay

Looks better than SWTOR.

And plays a lot worse... 

Not really.

STOs ground game isnt as good as SWTOR (and thats saying alot), but its not really than bad. The Space game however, is Lightyears (pun) ahead of SWTOR.

There is a TON of great Story Content in STO. Moreso than SWTOR.

STO gives more than 1 Companion at a time AND you can change their appearance and their name.

PVP in both games suck.

Crafting is (IMO) lame in both, but at least in STO its useful throughout all aspects of the game (PvE/PvP)

The only thing that SWTOR has going for it over STO is the Class Specific Quests and the Voice Overs and Interactive Cutscenes.

That and a good playable Second Faction.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I think u all read me wrong, I agree we should see some of the char creation tools, BUT, I mean HIS characters, He ALWAYS ends up making some 'pretty green/pink/blue haired female' and other then rapid click-thoughs, dons't show the OTHER options.

As i said, was a critique, Ive watched enough of his reviews to be considerd a avid watcher:P

Anyways, the game as is is enough to keep one occupied for a bit, but once u hit 50, theres not a lot more to do beyond repeating the same STF 500 times so u can do that STF on a harder diff 500 more times :P (Or pvp which tbh i haven't really touched on much)

But beyond the games shortalls, it is fun. (Ground combat needs work imo, pretty shitty and the blend between fps and rpg controls needs to be adressed better)

• spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61

RipperX is the best man,always have fun watching him tool around,Thanks.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Another fun vid Ripper, always worth the watch.

STO is a much underrated game IMO... I actualy prefer it to SWTOR, but thats just me.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

lol can you really not pronounce incapacitate?  In Cah Pass It Ate.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by adam_nox

lol can you really not pronounce incapacitate?  In Cah Pass It Ate.

He was tooling around ;)

• cutechcutech Member UncommonPosts: 5

As far as seeing the back of a toon for the life of the game, I can think of a whole lot worse to look at than a green/pink/blue haired female' (+++ to the hips and the "7 of 9" outfit)   ;^)

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

This game was such crap when it launched.  After 2 years of fixes and additions, I can now highly recommend it.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Game appears to have had a new coat of polish since I played at launch.  Zachary Quintos' voice work is as bad as I remember though.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Akais

Game appears to have had a new coat of polish since I played at launch.  Zachary Quintos' voice work is as bad as I remember though.

Yeah a polished turd is still a polished turd ,  it's just shinier now ! That's a great reason.