Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worried about DE: the danger of botting.

frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Ive been searching for the answer to this one on the official site and the various wikis, but havent been able to find anything. Is there some kind of limit on how much experience, karma and coin can i get from the same DE in a day? Maybe some kind of diminishing return?

Because if theres not any the botters are going to be very happy with this game. Youd just have to release a bot , program him to do a particular event (something quite easy to do) and have him do it several zillion times- free currency , exp and karma, much easier to obtain than in a typical quest driven mmo, in which a bot generally has to resort to grinding random mobs, as quests can be only done once per character (or per day, in certain cases).

Logic and common sense seem to dictate that such a limit must exist, but i havent been able to find any info on the subject. 

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

You do realize that DEs can only be completed every once in a while, right?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Yeah but how long will it be before the event happens again? That bot might be sitting there not doing anything because the follow up event is elsewhere.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

A very good concern. If there is no diminishing system in place, there has to be an efficient banning-system in place to deal with eventual botting. 

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Originally posted by Alot

Thats wht seems logical to me but haven been able to read that piece of info anywhere. links?

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

cant find the link right now but didnt they say something like around 1,500 events in game. how long do your bot would be waiting for the event to happen in that area again

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I doubt anyone would bot for experience, its already easy to level up in GW2

For money, well it will depend on the amount of money DE's give, I think that some DE dont give gold, and while they always give karma, you probably won't be able to send to people or sell it in the auction so you will have to sell for NPC's which is just a waste of time

IMO, people won't bot in the game because it would save them very little time or simple would not be worth it

Gold farmers will always exist tho, inevitable

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Most DEs are not on any kind of predictable schedule and success/failure changes the flow of events as well. There may be some DEs on more regular schedules in the newb zones, but it will be pretty obvious if someone is botting those and I'm sure they will be reported pretty quickly. Beyond that, I think DEs are a botter's worst nightmare. The system is too dynamic and unpredictable to make botting of DE's an easy task. A lot more difficult than static content on a short respawn timer.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by freston

Thats wht seems logical to me but haven been able to read that piece of info anywhere. links?

Most if not all our knowledge about DE's comes from the link below so it's probably part of that video (and it's awesome to watch regardless): http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing_Guild_Wars_2_Dynamic_Events

Besides, there's also something about it on the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event#Event_mechanics

More info on dynamic events can be found here:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

http://www.arena.net/blog/colin-johanson-answers-your-dynamic-event-questions

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-flannum-answers-more-of-your-dynamic-event-questions

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It's definitely possible. However, who cares?

Not to bring up 'that game', but look at SWTOR. It's so easy to get what you want in that game, that botting is very very minimal.

In GW2, sure you can farm DEs, but it wouldn't really give you an advantage over other players. At most it could possible be used to goldfarm, but we have yet to see what the economy for this game is like.

In GW2 it makes much more sense to complete a wide variety of DEs every day, rather than just farming 1 or 2. If someone wants to take the time to try and bot one, they are missing out on everything else.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Originally posted by Diovidius

Originally posted by freston

Most if not all our knowledge about DE's comes from the link below so there it's probably part of it (and it's awesome to watch regardless): http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing_Guild_Wars_2_Dynamic_Events

Besides, there's also something about it on the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event#Event_mechanics

More info on dynamic events can be found here:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

http://www.arena.net/blog/colin-johanson-answers-your-dynamic-event-questions

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-flannum-answers-more-of-your-dynamic-event-questions

Thanks for links

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Given the nature of DE's i just dont see botting being viable. Especially in a game where you actually have combat that requires dodging and timing to do so. On top of that even if a bot where attempted in a DE that does happen alot, the programming for a bot would have a really hard time due to mob amounts and skills scaling as soon as another player shows up. That and gold wont be that important for most players, and you cant trade karma. That being said i look foward to being very entertained when the gold farmers do show up so i can watch the fail.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

seems like the currency issue will give botters a problem. Gold seems to be more of a repair, guild, crafting items thing and a big PVP value. The better gear and other items that seems to matter are karma based and you can't sell it. So will bots be able to farm WvW? LOL. Cause some videos showed big rewards(gold wise) for sacking caravans and doing dungeons. Doubt farmers will do well there...just a guess.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I'd really like to see some bot waiting for one specific event to fire off every 20 minutes or so. That would be funny.

Usually bots are there do so something more efficiently than players. Waiting for a single event to fire off every once in a while is the most inefficient way to get xp. If you programm a bot to do DE's for you, you could really play the game yourself. Since level is a non-issue in most of the game, I don't see a reason to code a bot for that.

Additionally, trading can only be done via the mail system (which can be accesses from anywhere in the game), which is probably heavily mirrored. So gold farmes will be easier to track than in GW1 and all other games with direct trading.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by IPolygon

I'd really like to see some bot waiting for one specific event to fire off every 20 minutes or so. That would be funny.

Usually bots are there do so something more efficiently than players. Waiting for a single event to fire off every once in a while is the most inefficient way to get xp. If you programm a bot to do DE's for you, you could really play the game yourself. Since level is a non-issue in most of the game, I don't see a reason to code a bot for that.

Additionally, trading can only be done via the mail system (which can be accesses from anywhere in the game), which is probably heavily mirrored. So gold farmes will be easier to track than in GW1 and all other games with direct trading.

The counter-argument would be that they bot when they are not able to play themselves: like when they normally sleep or work/study. 

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

While possible, it is very difficult to program a bot that can react to changing environments. Since Dynamic Events do not simply respawn like Rifts or Public Quests, and multiple different Dynamic Events can occur in the same area at different (or the same) times it is likely that having a bot waiting until the DE chain makes a full circle will simply result in death at teleportation to a waypoint.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

What would really be cool to see if it works, get a few people together, run over to some bots and make large mobs appear, then back up and watch :)

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Originally posted by IPolygon

The counter-argument would be that they bot when they are not able to play themselves: like when they normally sleep or work/study. 

Not saying it's undetectable, but in GW1 they banned a whole number of players for bots having a similar behaviour. That game is 7 years old, I imagine they have implemented more intelligent system to track DE bots. Needless to say, it would be pretty stupid to bot for that reason alone.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

If you dont take any actions in a DE, you will not get a reward...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Most of DE are in chains of ... success or not happen at all, so program 1 bot for DE's its not the viable way to get gold/xp or whatever.