Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 F2P or B2P?

HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

What I know is that there are 3 types:

F2P (Free to Play)

B2P (Buy to Play)

P2P (Pay to Play)

Let me know if I'm wrong.

The case is that many people are always saying that GW2 is f2p, thing that isn't true and at the same time someone associate GW2 with low quality f2p games (I play some of them that aren't that bad but ussually they are)

So why people use the term f2p for gw2? that confuse others, right?

Comments

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

My guess is because you don't pay a sub.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182

B2P is not really common, the game is F2P, you just buy the software to run it.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Honner

Because most MMO's are either f2p or p2p so people only think in terms of those two.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I also hear folks say that GW or GW2 are F2P.  This technically wrong since the box must be purchased to create an a account.  B2P would be correct.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

It is b2p with an item mall that is supposidely not "pay 2 win". 

The concept of b2p is so uncommon among MMORPGs, that a few people call it f2p since there is no subscription fee. 

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

It's just like every other normal game out there.  You buy the box, you play.  There will be expansions.  There is no sub.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Originally posted by Joekra

so? how can be FREE to Play if you are BUYING it?

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182

Again, B2P is not common, nobody says that. GW2 is not p2p as there is no sub, you do not pay for playing the game, you pay to get the software to be able to play it.

• LittlefingerLittlefinger Member Posts: 1

The game is B2P which means buy it and its yours..Forever! Woohooooo.

Also - It will have an item mall. But it won't have any items that would make you any stronger than those who choose to not use it at all, it's simply cosmetics and other stuff that's not really necessary. I hope this suffices!

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Again, B2P is not common, nobody says that. GW2 is not p2p as there is no sub, you do not pay for playing the game, you pay to get the software to be able to play it.

Yeah I know that buy the box and play forever. I'm just asking this stupid question because the term F2P doesn't make any sense for me here...

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    because people heard there will be an item mall so they instantly bash tue game saying it's just another f2p with p2w item mall. tho they don't usually have a soightest clue about the game or gw1 for that matter where players already know what to expect from it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

People are just not adjusted to calling an MMO B2P, yet. We never needed the term until now, even though we have been using the B2P system for decades though. The mmo genre is the only genre with different payment methods. At least for now.

BOOYAKA!

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

Oh please.

If you are confused, go check here http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/

no need to make a thread.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

B2P is common in all the other genres, it's almost the only thing there is to the other genres. Besides, it's not FREE to play either and it doesn't follow the same rules of beeing F2P. Since it doesn't fit into any of the 2 mmorpgs usual payment model, we need to call it something else. And it fits perfectly since you obviously need to BUY the game in order TO PLAY it = B2P.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

As everyone has said.. ftp has connotations that suggest there is no monthly fee to continue having access to an mmo, which is what GW2 is doing.

Buy to play and pay to play, dictionary wise, literally means the same thing. In terms of the meaning of the actual words. You see, when you are buying a game, you are paying for it. BTP is a rediculous acronym to have adopted because to someone who doesn't frequent forums like these it's just confusing. We understand what it means but there are plenty out there that don't.

A better expression to use instead of BTP would be something like OP or 1P.. for one payment (to play). Then there is a clear distiction between FTP, PTP and OP for those that arn't as geeky as all of us.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

actually i would prefer

f2p

p2p with sub

p2p without sub

Originally posted by Butregenyo

actually i would prefer

f2p

p2p with sub

p2p without sub

Part of the problem with P2P without sub though is that many may think it means you have to keep paying to play but it isn't set up in a automatic subscription way.. such as buying gametime or using the ingame shop.

I do think people are wrong to use FTP to describe GW2 though.. very wrong. There's so much confusion with all the terms knocking about that they should have just ignored the popular jargon and explained it their own way.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I have a feeling many misinformed players will be dissapointed when they try to download the game on launch and aren't able to play.  Because they would think its F2P

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

I really like the B2P concept, without the premium in-game trading, of course. It provides the developing company funds continue improving the game, but also doesn't create a burden of paying the fee every month and the need to get your money's worth by playing the game even without the real desire. Also, the community in F2P games can be really bad ( exceptions exist, don't get me wrong).

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game is Buy to Play (B2P). many people who say it's F2P probably don't understand that it's actually B2P, don't appreciate the difference, or deliberately use F2P because of the negative associations, so that uninformed people who see "F2P" will assume this is a low production value, Asian F2P grinder.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

What I know is that there are 3 types:

F2P (Free to Play)

B2P (Buy to Play)

P2P (Pay to Play)

Let me know if I'm wrong.

The case is that many people are always saying that GW2 is f2p, thing that isn't true and at the same time someone associate GW2 with low quality f2p games (I play some of them that aren't that bad but ussually they are)

It's a misunderstanding which I suspect trolls will milk from now to well past launch.  And they'll then label X-pacs as P2W, since they'll assumably raise level caps and provide some other forms of advancement and gear.

The game will be buy to play.  They will release Xpacs fairly frequently, as that's how they'll pay to keep servers running.

I haven't spent a second in the game so I have no idea whether the hype is warranted.  But the game being B2P, IMO, is another way of saying, "It's in our best interest to make the best game possible to earn your future business".  So that in itself is a good sign.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I dont care how people call it, but you dont realise that it run on servers. Yes you buy the game and you get the whole, but still you need the server to be maintained to play the game.

So it cant be really B2P, will I be able to play it after 30 years? I really dont own the game, but only my account.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by mazut

So it cant be really B2P, will I be able to play it after 30 years? I really dont own the game, but only my account.

You could make that argument against any single player PC game that ever existed.

Let's see what happens when I try to boot up "Might and Magic: World of Xeen".

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

If GW2 is F2P then I just really bought these F2P (buying F2P games, see what I did here?) games recently: Battlefield 3, Batman Arkham City, Skyrim.