Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 fanboi's list of complaints

PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Okay, I've been gushing over GW2 for the past couple of days and while I'm not ashamed of being a fanboi, I feel the time has come to make a painful sacrifice on the altar of almighty objectivity and balance.

Here's my list of things that I actually DON'T like in GW2, especially after seeing this weekend's demo footage

1) There was a story about a guy trying to jump into that big old hole in Divinity's reach but he couldn't do it because of all the barriers and even invisible walls! WTF?! I thought invisible walls are something we left behind us? Why shouldn't I be able to commit  suicide with my character if i feel like it?! This a blatant case of hand-holding and limiting player's choice without adding anything at all to the game. Do the map designers really think that someone would rage-quit their game if he managed to find a away to throw himself down a hole? I really don't think so.

2) Door bashing in WvW. Ok, what's with that? As I recall we were to be able to take down WALLS with our siege engines, remember? You know, more points of entry, more strategy, less lagg because players will spread around more? However it pains me to say it, it does remind me of... WAR... (gasp, I said it!)

3) The Kotaku dude's PC crashing. Right, I'm playing a bit of a devil's advocate here, but... The guy obviously did have a crappy PC or didn't know how to set up recording properly or had everything to the max or whatever, but imo there are going to be a lot of guys like that come release. Imo ANet should really take care to add some idiot-proof game settings or auto-gfx or something to prevent 1000s of people like that yelling that the game is "broken" just because they don't know how to set up gfx on their machine.

4) No sprinting. At least I didn't see it anywhere. I would really like to see sprinting mechanic tied to the dodge energy meter. I made a whole thread on it here so I won't go further into that.

5) Now when I'm looking at things imo mounts would be cool in WvW at least... especially if there is no sprinting.

6) Those skill points or trait challenges or whatever.. you know when you get in-game currency to purchase traits? I don't like that. I'd like it more if specific traits or skills were obtained by specific achievements. Imo it would give a bit more.. hmm.. dunno. I'd like it better that way.

and finally... I know:

7) It's not out yet!

So, that's my 7 pet-peeves about GW2 at the moment, from a self-professed fanboi. If you have your own, come and share. No one will think you any less of a fan if you do unburden yourself here. :)

Comments

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I agree with this pretty much.  I'd love to see mounts in WvW as well.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

My biggest concern is performance issues during PVP..since Anet is aiming for 500 players per zone so it is goign to be a real challenge. My second concern is crafting but i really have to try that one first and would like more information on crafting.

But yeah nothign kills a PVP game like lag.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

I agree with most of your points.

Mounts would be a great feature in WvW

And I'm not so fond of the trait points thing... it's kind of weird.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

1) that big hole is basically the exception. It probably just doesn't have a bottom.

2) I agree

3) Beta is beta

4) Fast travel helps but i do think base movement speed could be a little faster. Although, to be honest, it looks slow on a charr and Norn because they're big. Asurans feel quite nippy due to their size.

5) PvE mounts sure, but i wouldn't like WvW mounts. I don't like the idea of a richer server having a more mobile force. Unless mounts were a dime a dozen.

6) They're not the worst thing is the world, and they're better than nothing, but the old system sounded more interesting. Maybe there are more interesting challenges later on?

To add mine:

7) Spell effects are just too much in large groups and some are just overdone (like when a large enemy is on fire). I understand the need for visual combat, but you can't understand what's going on in claustraphbic fights.

8) Still not a fan of the high gold cost of some siege weapons. I'd much prefer it all to be supply based.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

thanks for this thread.....idd...its not about the "bad" things in GW2, just points that can be approved.....but needed to be sayd without being called a troll.

Good post.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

My biggest concern will be the level of difficulty. I just pray that they do not dumb this down just for the sake of sales. It needs to be challenging but not impossible because easy = boring.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

1. I dont care either way about this.

2. If this is true, then I agree with the OP. I also hope that there will be different ways to break into a keep.

3. You cant make sure a game runs on unstable pc's. We will see after release if the GW2 client has stability issues.

4. I saw leaps that covered a distance fast to a foe. We also probably only saw a fraction of possible skills so far. I wouldnt be surprised if Ranger or Warrior has some kind of sprint skill.

5. I prefer not having to rely on mounts for travel. They would still be fun to collect though.

6. I prefer to see rewards (traits, skills, gear) as much as possible apart from content. So that I wont feel forced to go somewhere specific for a specific trait. Please let me just go into any direction without having to wiki about where I can get what skill/gear. I might make an exception for certain cool gearlooks.

7. Bloody closed beta videos now finally made me really impatient for this game too.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by oubers

thanks for this thread.....idd...its not about the "bad" things in GW2, just points that can be approved.....but needed to be sayd without being called a troll.

Good post.

Not sure they can remove invisible walls without re-building the whole game,so not really a point to be improved (I think that's what you meant - I'm not sure what approving points would do) but rather an inconvenience we all have to decide for ourselves whether we can live with it and still be immersed and entertained.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

About 1):

Yeah, I agree, I strongly dislike invisible walls as well, would have been much cooler if you died walking off a cliff.

About 3):

Yes, this is one of my major concerns, GW2 needs to be clear about system requirements and make absolutely sure that people meeting them will be able to play WvWvW without any major issues.

Final thoughts:

It is good that we got some valid concerns posted. 

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Well they were bragging how you couldnt get down into the hole. Myself personally, I would have written a sign, warning, your game will destroy your hard drive if you jump in, and then somehow do it :) Sorry, love seeing people who push the do not push button explode.

Serious note, I still am worried about the WvW point system and portal thing. Wars should have fronts not open ended free roam. Not saying you shouldnt be able to infiltrate the other guys side, but not if you don't at least have your zone fully controlled. Raiding parties should have to hoof it to get behind enemy lines, not port there.

My big issue, crafting, why? why so little information about this to date. If this world is going to be so vast, so hidden, an explorers wet dream, would not also include a very high end crafting system to make all your time spent out there worhtwhile. Not saying it may or may not be good, only worried that I am seeing so little.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by oubers

Good post.

Not sure they can remove invisible walls without re-building the whole game,so not really a point to be improved (I think that's what you meant - I'm not sure what approving points would do) but rather an inconvenience we all have to decide for ourselves whether we can live with it and still be immersed and entertained.

yeah...my bad.....i do mean improved.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Okay, I've been gushing over GW2 for the past couple of days and while I'm not ashamed of being a fanboi, I feel the time has come to make a painful sacrifice on the altar of almighty objectivity and balance.

Here's my list of things that I actually DON'T like in GW2, especially after seeing this weekend's demo footage

2) Door bashing in WvW. Ok, what's with that? As I recall we were to be able to take down WALLS with our siege engines, remember? You know, more points of entry, more strategy, less lagg because players will spread around more? However it pains me to say it, it does remind me of... WAR... (gasp, I said it!)

This is BS, #1 thing war did wrong other than have awful coding/engine, was fixed points of entry. Also the doors seems far too strong... maybe this is not true. Walls should be FAR FAR strong than doors, but destructable none the less.

4) No sprinting. At least I didn't see it anywhere. I would really like to see sprinting mechanic tied to the dodge energy meter. I made a whole thread on it here so I won't go further into that.

Many abilitys allow people to agument their movement in different ways. Enough videos of that.

5) Now when I'm looking at things imo mounts would be cool in WvW at least... especially if there is no sprinting.

Ill pass on mounts, they never make much sense other than pve travela nyways, pvp speed buffs/auras/songs are managable.

6) Those skill points or trait challenges or whatever.. you know when you get in-game currency to purchase traits? I don't like that. I'd like it more if specific traits or skills were obtained by specific achievements. Imo it would give a bit more.. hmm.. dunno. I'd like it better that way.

So basiclly you skip the ones you don't want, are forced to wait till higher levels, have to seek some, etc. instead of just lettign the player choose... I'd ratehr have classes fufill unquire roles than that, at least it has some merit.

and finally... I know:

7) It's not out yet!

So, that's my 7 pet-peeves about GW2 at the moment, from a self-professed fanboi. If you have your own, come and share. No one will think you any less of a fan if you do unburden yourself here. :)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

1) There was a story about a guy trying to jump into that big old hole in Divinity's reach but he couldn't do it because of all the barriers and even invisible walls! WTF?! I thought invisible walls are something we left behind us? Why shouldn't I be able to commit  suicide with my character if i feel like it?! This a blatant case of hand-holding and limiting player's choice without adding anything at all to the game. Do the map designers really think that someone would rage-quit their game if he managed to find a away to throw himself down a hole? I really don't think so.

If anyone didnt try this yet, its amazing.

There is a well ( the same one Pippin throws rock in and wakes all the Orcs in Moria )

If you are very stupid , try jumping inside - LOL - must try , must try :P

We can be fans. But dont try to be game designer. They have gameplay reasons

3) The Kotaku dude's PC crashing. Right, I'm playing a bit of a devil's advocate here, but... The guy obviously did have a crappy PC or didn't know how to set up recording properly or had everything to the max or whatever, but imo there are going to be a lot of guys like that come release. Imo ANet should really take care to add some idiot-proof game settings or auto-gfx or something to prevent 1000s of people like that yelling that the game is "broken" just because they don't know how to set up gfx on their machine.

I am sure they will. This is just first beta

+1 to this. ANet make it happen !

Again , gameplay - i am sure they had the reasons

and finally... I know:

7) It's not out yet!

This is making me angry every day !

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I'm not liking the voiced cutscenes. 

One voice for each sex/race combo. What if I want to make a really young looking character? Or a very old one?

I would have preferred my main character to not be fully voiced! Grunts, yells etc OK.

If I'm wrong, a correction would be nice.

*takes cover for incoming attacks*

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

My only complaint is too many damn particle effects.  This might help with perforence issues also.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Did you stop to think that jumping off there might glitch your character in serious ways? Or that having to actually build real geometry for the hole, just so people can go splat, might cause performance issues in an already taxing environment? Or that they have better things to do than to build suicide locations into the landscape?

You can still bash down walls with the proper siege equipment. Are you saying that wooden doors should be tougher than stone walls? Or covered with an invisible wall to force you to take down the walls, rather than bashing down the gate?

I haven't heard any other reports of crashing. There are a lot of things that can make a PC unstable in general or when playing a demanding game in particular. Idiot-proofing would mean forced settings and even then you couldn't guarantee that someone doesn't have defective ram, an ill seated expansion card or is over clocking their PC or video card to a point that results in instability.

Plus, it's beta. :)

There are skills that increase mobility, plus you move a little faster when your weapon is sheathed. I think I even heard mention of items that can give you a little boost. I don't see the need for a sprint mechanic, I'll save sprinting for Skyrim.

No mounts for launch. No promise of mounts later, but they have said it is being considered. With the waypoint system, they aren't really needed for travel. I personally don't use mounts in Skyrim, because it seems to disconnect you from the environment, so I'm not sure I'd want them in GW2. We'll see.

No. They have talked about the reason for this system. They don't want to force players to do content they don't want to do, just to unlock some specific skill. Plus, this system gives us freedom to build out our skills in the order we want, rather than a linear progression. There may be more to unlocking Elite Skills, but for the other skills, this system is great. Nice that you also never have to visit a trainer to get your skills.

and finally... I know:

7) It's not out yet!

When it's ready! ;)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

1:  jump off a building if you want to commit in game suicide who cares about a hole.

2: they made door bashing in WvWvW so that you can defend your keep, they have hot oil vats at the top to poor on players to help defend them, if you want seige engines go play WoW. They did say they will be putting in trebuchets etc btw just not for the doors.

3: this game is made for older (2008-2009) cards, if his pc crashed, it's not due to age or settings, it's due to poor upkeep and seriously bad parts, possibly even windows ME on the computer who knows. it's beta, the only thing i don't want to have to do at launch is be a technician to FORCE the high rez graphics to show all the time by using command line since the devs of the game (not GW2 but another that shall remain unnamed) can't seem to figure out why their fail engine didn't work properly at launch.

4: there is a movement speed inscrease when you sheath your weapon, and various abilities allow you to run faster for a short period or jump. The world isn't so big that you can't get around with the teleport pads.

5: see 4, and it looks like there may be some capturable points that one can teleport to in those areas, at least from the maps ive seen.

6: from what i've seen, abilities are only earned through using weapons skills, healing abilities and elite abilities are earned through doing skill events which then give you those abilities, the only points to place is in their version of talent trees so dunno what you're looking at there. And let me just say, going to pay 75 copper to a trainer instead of instantly having your next level ability in field WHILE you are playing right when you level is so much better then having to run back to town every minute or being in an area where there are no trainers to give you new skills. adapt.

7: ABSOLUTELY agree with this one, this one is exactly how i feel, but then i have to remind myself that i don't even have my new computer yet. sigh.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

My biggest concern is performance issues during PVP..since Anet is aiming for 500 players per zone so it is goign to be a real challenge. My second concern is crafting but i really have to try that one first and would like more information on crafting.

But yeah nothign kills a PVP game like lag.

This is probably also my biggest concern. Extreme lag in large scale PvP will have a real serious impact on WvW and its viability as a completely entertaining experience.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I was a little concerned about pacing in PVP. I actually like slower tactical fights rather than 'bang headshot' (or stealth stunlock backstab). Some fights seemed a little too drawn out and where largely decided by who had friends arive first.

I think it can be attributed to two thing chiefly.

1) The self heal. Several fights I watched and thought it should end here then bang 2/3's health again.

2) Cooldowns looked pretty long (except on the first ability).

I guess this could just be reviewers getting used to a new play style. For example I did not see people swapping weapons on the fly presuambly that gives you 5 new cooldowns?

PVE seemed about right though if anything maybe slightly verging on the sluggish rather than too fast. I did see a couple of vids where players seemed noticeably swifter in taking stuff down. Maybe it is because everyone was playing support Mesmers!!

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Gorilla

I guess this could just be reviewers getting used to a new play style. For example I did not see people swapping weapons on the fly presuambly that gives you 5 new cooldowns?

From a few videos of a thief who swapped often, I saw cooldowns were slot related. Once you used a slot that had a 15 sec cooldown, even after the swtich, the countdown stayed the same.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Gorilla

From a few videos of a thief who swapped often, I saw cooldowns were slot related. Once you used a slot that had a 15 sec cooldown, even after the swtich, the countdown stayed the same.

Ahh thanks, missed that.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by fiontar

Did you stop to think that jumping off there might glitch your character in serious ways? Or that having to actually build real geometry for the hole, just so people can go splat, might cause performance issues in an already taxing environment? Or that they have better things to do than to build suicide locations into the landscape?

You can still bash down walls with the proper siege equipment. Are you saying that wooden doors should be tougher than stone walls? Or covered with an invisible wall to force you to take down the walls, rather than bashing down the gate?

I haven't heard any other reports of crashing. There are a lot of things that can make a PC unstable in general or when playing a demanding game in particular. Idiot-proofing would mean forced settings and even then you couldn't guarantee that someone doesn't have defective ram, an ill seated expansion card or is over clocking their PC or video card to a point that results in instability.

Plus, it's beta. :)

There are skills that increase mobility, plus you move a little faster when your weapon is sheathed. I think I even heard mention of items that can give you a little boost. I don't see the need for a sprint mechanic, I'll save sprinting for Skyrim.

No mounts for launch. No promise of mounts later, but they have said it is being considered. With the waypoint system, they aren't really needed for travel. I personally don't use mounts in Skyrim, because it seems to disconnect you from the environment, so I'm not sure I'd want them in GW2. We'll see.

No. They have talked about the reason for this system. They don't want to force players to do content they don't want to do, just to unlock some specific skill. Plus, this system gives us freedom to build out our skills in the order we want, rather than a linear progression. There may be more to unlocking Elite Skills, but for the other skills, this system is great. Nice that you also never have to visit a trainer to get your skills.

and finally... I know:

7) It's not out yet!

When it's ready! ;)

I have some other pet-peeves

1) No character progression (AA system) at max level...

2) a weak crafting system

3)So far it seems in DE's people are playing next to eachother instead of together..

4) No information yet about how the game will look with fully scaled down graphics

5)Not enough trees and hills in the WvWvW areas that could give players with extended terain knowledges an advantage.

6)Only one type of structured PvP

7)Its not finished yet

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I prefer it when games have these kinds of mechanics NOT just because you can get place to place faster...

...but rather...

I like to feel like my character IS an actual person, and would have the basic abilities that any humanoid life form would have.  To sprint, jump, crouch, kneel, climb, etc.

How often has THIS been the case in an MMO in the past:

"Uh oh.  I've got a dozen mobs after me... TRAIN TO ZONE!  Hum de dum de dum, I sure enjoy trying to escape certain death by jogging at the same rate I would to go from the bank to the auction house... oh noes!  There's a 2 foot fence blocking me and I can't jump!  Haaaaaaalp!!!"

I mean, I know that devs don't want you to just be able to run away from a losing fight with the greatest of ease, but there has to be a way to make that possible even with more realistic character movement.

Edit:  Also posted in linked thread.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

-snip-

3)So far it seems in DE's people are playing next to eachother instead of together..

4) No information yet about how the game will look with fully scaled down graphics

5)Not enough trees and hills in the WvWvW areas that could give players with extended terain knowledges an advantage.

7)Its not finished yet

Yeah, I would also like some other SPvP modes. When you say AA system progression, what do you mean exactly? Like realm rank?

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by crewthief

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

-snip-

7)Its not finished yet

Yeah, I would also like some other SPvP modes. When you say AA system progression, what do you mean exactly? Like realm rank?

No he means Alternate Advancement system once you hit max level. Something like Rift, AOC and EQ2 offers.