Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did BioWare spend all of their money on?

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by omome

I'll just chime in here.

You, OP and all others who care about this crap, have no idea what it cost to make TOR. NONE.

So there, your speculation is based on ignorance.

What a condascending remark but let's assume it is true. This isn't a board meeting of Lucas Arts, this is a forum where you can discuss all kinds of things that we don't have hard facts on.

Besides many of us do have an idea how much it cost to make a game. We know that you need alot of people (100+) working for several years to create an MMORPG. We know that licensing costs alot of money. We know that voice acting costs alot of money.

We have no hard figures but that is not the same as not having an idea. Which is far better than your post btw, which brings absolutely nothing to the thread.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Garvon3

I'll just chime in here.

You, OP and all others who care about this crap, have no idea what it cost to make TOR. NONE.

Most expensive MMO ever made, yet one of the most unimpressive ones ever made. Teams with 3 million bucks and 30 people revolutionized the genre. A team like this could only churn out an even more singleplayer version of WoW.

Source?

We do know that APB cost over 100 mil to make, though I don't see anyone bitching about "how much it cost to make the game!!1!!" as one of their top reasons for disliking it. No one wanted to dislike APB...it was a Grand Theft Auto MMO ffs, who wouldn't want that?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by palulalula

Simple answer-They spend money on best  mmorpg today , and when i say rpg i think about real rpg, because swtor is only real role p'laying game out there. And i think for now is in second placa after wow with subscribers.Imagine only what will come now with Australia and China. I think OP you cant adopt to sf genre and you are not a fan of sw so you cant understand that.  1- Best story mmo.  2-Biggest  lands in mmo world today. 3-Awesome graphic. 4-Movies and tons of movies. 5-Voice actors.  6-8 unique single players expiriences. 7-Smooth gameplay--and so many more things. You get for same money 8 games :)

For me SW:TOR was a pretty decent single game experience. And I say that after achieving battlemaster in their PvP ranks, mind you.

Yes, the storyline was great, but the ending, not so much. Every single player becomes a Darth and member of the shadow council in an MMO? So, how many members does that shadow council has exactly? I was really disappointed by that dead end outcome of the story. It's like going to WoW and make everyone king of Kalimdor, Arthas heir etc. It makes sense in a single player game, but zero sense in an MMO. Especially in an MMO that wants to have some form of progression beyond that point.

The world, the planets, the zones, are really average to small. And static. Not that a lot of MMOs out there are made nowadays with big worlds, but you need to have some form of proper perspective and realise that no planet feels like a planet. The old SWG planets did feel like planets, I agree. Here, hardly.

Regarding graphics, it depends on what you're referring. If you're referring to landscaping, then yes, some of them are pretty cool looking. If you're referring to the avatars, then no, they look mediocre, muddy and generally nothing you would expect to find in a AAA MMORPG. They look especially bad compared those beautiful landscapes I mentioned earlier. We just have a case of LOTRO again, where the avatars are bad looking in a strikingly beautiful environment.

Movies are not gameplay and they are only three of them at the beginning. Cutscenes are something different and I hope you can differentate between the two. Also, once you watch them once, spacebar becomes your friend, especially in the dungeons cutscenes.

Voice acting is nice for a first pass, then it's spacebar skipping. Just like a movie you like watching once, the second time you want to go straight to the action.

Also, there is little uniqueness in the gameplay between the classes. Beyond the personal story, everything else is 100% the same for every single alt you make. There are zero alternate path as you get hand held from one planet to the next.

In conclusion, SW:TOR is a great game and you'll have tons of fun if you play it for the single player experience. It is just not an MMO and you'll be disappointed if you play it like one.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

And for movies posted from OP i can only laugh. First movie about swtor is in low settings from some crappy pc and maybe even from beta and second one is from gw2 in high res. I saw with my eyes gw2 in action and can tell you that you will not be so impressed when you install tha game on your big monitors. If you look close pictures from gw2 in big format you will see really really bad textures. Swtor have amazing graphic and i everyone can see that on new movies. Why are you still afraid people for your gw2 console game??? SImple as that--gw2 is f2p game and be sure i will buy this game like i did buy any other big mmo  and i am not afraid that i would destroy with this action my favorite mmo-s --eve online and swtor. But you people have some panic attacs :) You think that if  you present some crappy movies about some other mmo this will save your beloved gw2. Well-- we will talk in 10-12 months and remember my post here. GW2 will not fail it will just have same population as first one. First thing what most of the people will turn away from gw is crappy walking, never ever i saw so bad movement of characters in any other mmo.

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

Simple answer-They spend money on best  mmorpg today , and when i say rpg i think about real rpg, because swtor is only real role p'laying game out there. And i think for now is in second place after wow with subscribers.Imagine only what will come now with Australia and China. I think OP you cant adopt to sf genre and you are not a fan of sw so you cant understand that.  1- Best story mmo.  2-Biggest  lands in mmo world today. 3-Awesome graphic. 4-Movies and tons of movies. 5-Voice actors.  6-8 unique single players expiriences. 7-Smooth gameplay--and so many more things. You get for same money 8 games :)

Let me help you out on this "best mmorpg today , and when i say rpg i think about real rpg, because swtor is only real role p'laying game out there. And i think for now is in second place after wow with subscribers".

Have a look at the server trends these days and taking into account the manipulation they did on 03/04 Feb you would see their server loggings (meaning PLAYERS) dropped by 50%

If you don't believe that one: just look at the players that play SW TOR with Xfire installed: that's 50% Samples of 10K players (at the start) that do count you know.

So ... not even talking about the new players they added since launch: it stays and says 50% overall ... at this time.... everywhere.

Which means SW TOR has around 850.000 active loggers/players. Subs ? A few more but apparently they no longer log in....

Now ... in 2 weeks ME 3 will launch followed a few weeks later by Diabo 3 and a few months later by MOP and GW 2.

Still that optimistic about "the best mmorpg today" ? Now add the costs to keep this thing operated and you get a pretty idea that the next step is far from rosy.

-

They spend their money on a game which can't hold on to their paying players. I wonder how long before the first cost cutting will come.

In fact a lot of EA/Bioware members jumped the boat already and it wasn't exactly the head manager of the cleaning unit that dropped out.

It is so amazing when i got answer from some guy who don't even play this game. Dude i do play that game and my server bloodworthy is crowded and i don't even wait 10 sec for bg. What are you writing here is just speculation of some gw2 fan. Sorry dude but this game will rock even more with new updates. Star Wars is forever.

I'll just chime in here.

Most expensive MMO ever made, yet one of the most unimpressive ones ever made. Teams with 3 million bucks and 30 people revolutionized the genre. A team like this could only churn out an even more singleplayer version of WoW.

Do you like any mmo today? Cmon dude ,write here what is for you best mmo today? I am so excited to see that

My favorite MMO of all time, the one that got me into MMOs was SWG. I could go on about that, but for now I'll just set it down for you as honestly as I can.

I'll just chime in here.

Do you like any mmo today? Cmon dude ,write here what is for you best mmo today? I am so excited to see that

My favorite MMO of all time, the one that got me into MMOs was SWG. I could go on about that, but for now I'll just set it down for you as honestly as I can.

Well that shows only your taste. Crappy, lagy swg with horrible game mechanic,. And you was happy there because you was alone in your little house in som e desert on tatooine. You saw maybe few players in week  and they didnt even attack you because they was afraid that you will cancel your sub because of ganking

I'll just chime in here.

Well that shows only your taste. Crappy, lagy swg with horrible game mechanic,. And you was happy there because you was alone in your little house in som e desert on tatooine. You saw maybe few players in week  and they didnt even attack you because they was afraid that you will cancel your sub because of ganking

1) I experienced no lag in SWG

2) there were always tons of players around...very different feel from TOR

3) I didn't level a jedi character in my house, and my house was on Naboo, thank you.

4) My jedi was always overt, so I did most of the attacking/defending/ganking...but whatever, you are welcome to your prejudice.

5) You obviosly didn't play SWG, but feel free to complain about it anyway.

I'll just chime in here.

1) I experienced no lag in SWG

2) there were always tons of players around...very different feel from TOR

3) I didn't level a jedi character in my house, and my house was on Naboo, thank you.

4) My jedi was always overt, so I did most of the attacking/defending/ganking...but whatever, you are welcome to your prejudice.

5) You obviosly didn't play SWG, but feel free to complain about it anyway.

Well, nice for you. Dude i am  big sw fan and when i say something bad about some sw game then you know it was bad. Please do not write anymore about swg :) It was worst mmo ever made in history of gaming.

• Damor79Damor79 Member Posts: 1

I had some hope SWTOR would keep me within reason wanting to keep playing....but my faith is really shaken.

Hit 50, still do tons of warzones ER sorry Huttball....But I wonder myself at times wtf was with all this special hype now i hit end game for awhile and wait for patch notes like a damn Tax return.

Some things I felt very sour over,

-End game gear for most looks blah and from pvp gear only mild adjustments and YEY a different color. ( sorcs for instance ) Sure you got some silly pve gear that looks horrid IMO....But its functional I guess.

-End game set bonuses are lack luster at best,  PVE / PVP simple as that.......no wow I need that pc. and I got a sweet bonus etc. or rare drop

- Huttball all day long usually 80% + it got old after the first 150 times. Really BIOWARE 3 damn warzones *facepalm* ( oh we didn't expect them to be so popular....REALLY? )

- ILUM FFS.....sorry its a waste laggy as hell and pretty pointless excuss to toss in a "RvR or PvP zone" huge mistake not taking time to really think on a real pvp type area with a real purpose.

-Finally There is a few hacks mostly seen the super speed boost crap, but its there and I do hope they can get a grip on the issues. ( was only a few times so far I seen it )

....Still play but feels like a empty shell for me already, sadly I hope later it gets the proper attention it really needs to move forward past the quick player base snach they did...

• AquitisAquitis Member Posts: 24

SWG was a breakthrough in the MMO world.  It showed everyone just how much was possible.  Sadly MMO's have degenerated quite a bit since SWG.  TOR would have been much more sucessful had they gone the SWG sandbox route.  I think it goes against the corporate ethos letting customers control that much of their gaming experience.  It would be like asking Apple if you could just use the programs you like. 

That being said we must be fair.  TOR has incredible voice acting and the stories are very well done.  It is also a very polished game and has few bugs even at launch.  I think TOR is not popluar among the MMORPG community because we expect innovation and TOR has nothing new.  But if you are seriously going to compare TOR to games like WOW and RIft then you are not being intellecually honest with yourself. 

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

It is so amazing when i got answer from some guy who don't even play this game. Dude i do play that game and my server bloodworthy is crowded and i don't even wait 10 sec for bg. What are you writing here is just speculation of some gw2 fan. Sorry dude but this game will rock even more with new updates. Star Wars is forever.

Really? As a retired person with insominia I tend to spend a lot of time on the computer at various times, and being sort of OCD about things I can get into a mode of checking things repeatly. I've kept an eye on the Bioware server page during the week days from all times of the day, both EU and US servers. What I noted and what bull your shoveling don't appear to match up.

If during prime time during the week you consider 5 to 10 heavy load servers and maybe 2 heavy servers out of a 120 servers for the US servers is great and rocking, then you are deluded. Keep those blinders firmly in place, you are going to need them in the upcoming months even more then now. If I sound a bit harsh, maybe its due to posts like yours where the player ignores all observations made by those around them and still states that there is no car accident even though their using the jaws of life to cut  said player out of the car wreck.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I'll just chime in here.

I agree.  The one thing that SWTOR has made me realize is that there are a lot of self-appointed MMO experts haunting forums, talking rubbish.

SWTOR is ground-breaking in providing GROUPED VO'd story/dialogues.   It is a totally new multiplayer phenomenon in computer gaming, reminiscent of tabletop gaming.  That's where the money has gone, into providing this unique kind of multiplayer experience (obviously as well as solo dialogue like you would get in a single player game).

The rest of the game isn't ground-breaking, true, it's just competent, but it will improve over time.

Provided BW continue to polish and expand the game, listen to the players, and sort out both the PvE and the PvP endgame (which I would agree is tremendously important) SWTOR is going to continue to be successful, and to stump critics with its continued success.

What's stumped the critics is this: instead of asking "why do people play WoW?", BW have asked the question "why DON'T people play WoW?"  This is the same as what Blizzard did re. EQ.  IOW, the intention is not to capture a share of an already existing market, so much as to open up a new market.  Again, exactly Blizzard's thinking, and precisely what stumped critics of WoW when it came out (people thought it was trying to compete with already-established MMOs).

There are far, far more gamers than gamers who play MMOs.  MMOs are a ghetto community amongst gamers.  Even 11 million players is a drop in the ocean of gamers in general.  WoW somewhat redeemed the reputation of MMOs amongst gamers (see, for example Zeropunctuation's review of WoW), but most gamers are still not interested in  MMOs, because they are too undisguised as hamster-wheels.  The VO and storyline disguises the grind in a way that's more palatable to the average gamer (again, see Zeropunctuation's review of SWTOR).

The "MMO community" is stuck in nostalgia for games they've played in the past, its opinion is therefore largely irrelevant to SWTOR, and will be irrelevant (and probably not even on the radar at all) of the types of players who will be playing SWTOR, for most of whom it wil be their first "magical" MMO experience.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

It feels weird to read that from some SWTOR player. SWTOR is a single player game with  a big chat room named fleet and some extra instanced group pvp/pve to make you pay monthly fees. I can spend hours ingame without seing a single player and the reason I chose my server was that it had the longest queues thus the highest number of players. It didn't help, it still feels lonely to run around on that server.

EDIT: I just read the posting above mine and I had to smile about "a totally new multiplayer phenomenon in computer gaming" since I'd never group to do those quests because they are so damn easy that I solo them, often without compagnion, otherwise I'd fall of the chair asleep.

LFG!
  • VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

The people who love this game are mostly solo centric players, this is probably the best game ever made for the solo player.  Many who have issues with this game play MMO's for community and grouping this is just not a very good game for that.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Votan

The people who love this game are mostly solo centric players, this is probably the best game ever made for the solo player.  Many who have issues with this game play MMO's for community and grouping this is just not a very good game for that.  

seriously?!?!??!?!?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Combovers and Brazilian waxes? They are highly stylized people after all *coughcough*

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

I'll just chime in here.

Source?

We do know that APB cost over 100 mil to make, though I don't see anyone bitching about "how much it cost to make the game!!1!!" as one of their top reasons for disliking it. No one wanted to dislike APB...it was a Grand Theft Auto MMO ffs, who wouldn't want that?

APB at least tried to do something new, unlike SWTOR.

I'll just chime in here.

The last MMO that blew me away was Vanguard. The only one I play now and then is Darkfall.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

this is probably the best game ever made for the solo player.  

Elder Scrolls?

KOTOR?

The Witcher?

REALLY? SWTOR is the best single player game ever?

So I take it you've never played a single player game?

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Jason2444

this is probably the best game ever made for the solo player.  

Elder Scrolls?

KOTOR?

The Witcher?

REALLY? SWTOR is the best single player game ever?

So I take it you've never played a single player game?

I'd go as far as saying its the best game ever. Period.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Man, I have got some good news for you.

There are actually a lot of games out there for people who enjoy solo play and don't want to have a community or group with other players.  They are called "single player games" and you should really look into them.  If you liked the lack of community and grouping in SWTOR, then you will LOVE the lack of community and grouping in single player games!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by clbembry

So this is your first video game, huh?

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by eHug

EDIT: I just read the posting above mine and I had to smile about "a totally new multiplayer phenomenon in computer gaming" since I'd never group to do those quests because they are so damn easy that I solo them, often without compagnion, otherwise I'd fall of the chair asleep.

Your loss.  Doing Heroics and FPs in groups and doing the grouped dialogues is lots of fun - especially in the more "story oriented" FPs like Esseles and Jedi Prisoner (and BW say there are lots more of that type to come).

You start to get a taste for the roll of the dice (will my response be chosen?) and it's fun to see the people you're playing with - i.e. how they've chosen to customize their characters - close up, speaking their lines. 

You know how chatting and lol-ing about in-game stuff is one of the things you do in MMOs?  Well grouped dialogues are another dimension of "thing" about which to chat, and lol - in both a postiive and negative sense - but the point is it's a legitimate multiplayer thing, and it's a totally new experience in MMOs, and in about 90% of the groups I've been in, people actually enjoy it a lot.

Try it, you might be surprised at how moreish it becomes.

At any rate, it's a genuine innovation in MMOs, an experience you can only get in SWTOR, and of course it's an MMO innovation that could only exist because dialogues and cutscenes are BW's "speciality", so naturally they've brought it to the MMO genre.

So, while I agree that some of the "standard MMO" aspects, BW haven't really done anything original, here they truly have, and it's obvious that this is one of the things they've spent their money on, and it's well spent.

And, the critics are understimating the power of it (and the power of the solo storyline dialogues).  It's not something you can pooh-pooh as "just VO".  It's the main "hook" for people who HAVEN'T BEEN INTERESTED IN MMOS UNTIL NOW.

And this is the point that's eluding the critics.  Many more people have tried WoW than have subcribed.  Why didn't they subscribe?  That's the question BW have obviously asked themselves, and that's the market SWTOR is aimed at - gamers who don't normally like MMOs.

And why?  Because of the results you see: MMO players are all jaded, and nothing will ever satisfy them.  There is absolutely no point in making MMOs for the "MMO community".  It's a complete waste of time.  Better to seek new pastures.

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by clbembry

So this is your first video game, huh?

So this is your first time ever dealing with sarcasm, huh?

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

They did not spend their money on the following:

Squatty, Ugly Character design (do we really need another cartoon, WoW MMORPG?) 

No day/night cycle 

No swimming 

No housing 

No Pazaak, Sabacc, Dejarik, races, casino, etc... 

Dumbed down character creation 

No post-creation character customization 

No appearance tab/outfit system 

No high res textures 

No environmental interaction (chairs, walls, doors, etc...) 

Simple combat with static enemies 

Unconvincing and stiff animations 

Empty dead worlds with not enough NPCs moving around 

No collision detection 

No stats on resources 

No crafting customization 

Restriction in choice of starship 

No ship decoration 

Dumbed down space combat (Dumbed down period)

No multiplayer space combat 

Removal of many races 

No faction change/neutrality 

Restriction and instanced planets by faction 

Less planets than announced 

Planets rated by levels with no reason to go back 

No GM events 

Removal of choice to kill companion 

Removal of possibility to talk to other faction at all times 

No RP tools 

Nothing to do post-story 

Endgame consisting on waiting in fleet

No "little things" (fishing, racing, etc, etc.)

No Sandbox experience of any kind