Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I guess that's it for me...

Comments

• MandarrMandarr Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by holifeet

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by djmtott

Originally posted by Elikal

Yeah I am sure you don't want to hear another "I quit" thread.

+1

I'm still having a good time and I look forward to the planned changes and the content they will add. I'm typically not some pvp warrior, and I'm not a huge sword & sorcery fan, so I don't see myself playing GW2 or TERA, so I don't think there's anything else on the horizon I'm looking forward to.

What I'm waiting for is Mass Effect 3, GTA5, and hopefully Dragon Age 3. I don't have any real hope for MMOs for the next few years.

Well.. you wouldn't really call SWTOR an MMO would you?

It's massive. It's multiplayer. It's online. It's even an RPG. It might lack certain elements that you might expect from the genre, but it's definitely an MMO.

MM doesn't stand for massive and multiplayer. It stands for massively multiplayer. Which SWTOR isn't. But, if we're just going to go by a word for word break down, you realize you could call DOOM an RPG right? Its a game where you play a role, is it not? Stop splitting hairs. SWTOR is a singleplayer game with some optional coop at best. It is NOT an MMO. It lacks ALL the elements one expects from an MMO, except being online.

Err, excuse me, you tell people to stop splitting hairs and you differentiate between massive and multiplayer and massively multiplayer? If that's not splitting hairs then I'm King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. Prey tell, what is the difference between massive and multiplayer and massively multiplayer?

As for the subject of this thread, well I came on here in shock and disbelief because I saw another, yes another, thread from someone quitting on the front page of mmorpg.com. And yes it is another 'I'm quitting SWTOR and had to tell everyone about how it deserves to be doomed to the bargain basement bin at Selfridges' thread. To be fair to Elikal, it is a little different and he was honest enough to appreciate that these threads keep popping up, but it's still the same again.

I can understand his reasons, and I've been there in games, but I never felt the need to pop on to mmorpg.com and start a thread saying I cancelled my subscription to EQ2 today because I was bored. If I started a thread on a well known internet forum everytime I cancelled a subscription or stopped playing a game then I'd spend a good amount of time doing just that. I got bored of playing patience on my phone a while back, so I guess I should have come on here and told everyone about it. You know what you all would have said? You would have said 'tell it to the hand'.

If Elikal had just said that he was bored currently then I might have been able to stomach it, but he goes on to suggest the game isn't deserving of people's money, as so many others of these type of thread do. It's almost as if people think that by posting this they're contibuting to some moral and righteous crusade to rid the world of SWTOR.

Elikal was one of the pre-release doomsayers.  That he even bothered to buy the game after he had been in beta is beyond my comprehension.  This whole thing smacks of narcissism and the TOR Hate Bandwagon.

Exactly, which is why I've had enough of the trolls such as him AND Teala.  I hereby block their posts from further viewing for myself.  Nobody really cares one way or the other what they think of the game or anything else in this world.  I've read enough bs from them over the years.  Time to unsubscribe from their bs.

This website is a safe haven for trolls and haters. I'm done with this pathetic site.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

But they, I will even keep my sub, at least for 1-2 months and see where it goes. I only stop playing.

Wait... Why?

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

They are just adding more of the same and entirely lack the insight for SWTOR's shortcomings at Bioware.

That is the mentallity Bioware used in the earlier beta, and they didn't listen to anyone. 

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by heartless

I think people are harsh when it comes to SWTOR because it's made by BioWare. BioWare is one of the top RPG developers. Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age (2 sucked ass)... Those games are absolutely fantastic. I mean, these guys raised the bar.

SWTOR was hyped by everyone, fans and devs alike. I mean, you have one of the best developers and a huge budget, how could people not be hyped? And when the game launched... We got a uninspired WoW clone with some voice overs and cutscenes. Oh and lightsabers, can't forget those.

SWTOR is one of the few games I find myself being harsh on.  Being an actual hater.  Its fascinating for me b/c usually if I don't like a game, i just move on and forget about it.  But there is something about Bioware, and this game that makes me linger and keep interest in it.

I think for starters, I've never really been a Bioware fan.  I've never understood the hype, and praise that they receive.  I kept trying their games b/c I'm a big RPG person, but honestly the only one I ever enjoyed was Baldur's Gate.  For me, every game they've released since then has been worse than the last, culminating in this steaming pile known as SWTOR.

Story wise, very few of the narratives they've told have ever really captured me.  I can see moments of good writing here and there, that are then ruined by truely bad writing that makes the entire experience inconsistent.  Gameplay wise I've never been impressed either.  DAO probably had the most interesting gameplay for a while but it quickly broke down.  This is all just IMO of course, and I know I'm in the minority here.

As for SWTOR I personally rate it a 3/10, being generous.  For me, its an astonishingly bad game.  I think one of things that makes me nauseous at Bioware and SWTOR in particular, despite all of its flaws, and its budget, and everything else, is how Bioware is constantly patting itself on the back about itself and this game.  Just take their most recent self-congratulatory circle-jerk video.  I really hate arrogance and pride, especially when unjustified.  I think Bioware would do well just swallowing an ounce of their pride and adopting some humility.

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

I find it wierd that so many are shocked by what SWTOR is, its like they haven't played MMOs before. Like they do not understand, the average time people play and how easy it is to become burnt on just about anything. I can remember sieging a middle fort for the first time, with 7 24 man alliances all communicating in vent in Aion, and just buzzing about it for days, I can remember Rift launching and being level 35 and pvping raid v raid during a zone event and just loving it, but those things become boring after the 50th time doing them, thats just how it goes. It doesn't mean those games are terrible. Swtor while lacking a lot, specially when considering games like Rift, or the coming gw2/tsw, still had a lot awesome moments for me, I can totally remember running my first BT and listening to every word, or when we just hit 50 and were hitting hardmodes

People just have to understand your first/ or first real hooked MMO is a whole different animal, and yes occasionally given enough time between you can get hooked again, but for the most part these things dont last for years for anyone person with out breaks.

I'm super excited about gw2, and tsw, but I know that doing the same-ish things day in and day out anywhere will get boring. Nothing in development is immune to this, its just the way of MMOs right now, there is unique things and creative solutions, things that deffinately will help but it wont erase the possibilty of eventual boredom from doing what the game has to offer.

I say keep that in mind, dont be so serious, and have fun when and how you can.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

we told them we wanted swg2, we got ignored by bioware, flamed by the fanboys... and now everyone is up in arms. 

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Magnetia

I have only seen posts about TOR and feel that people are far too harsh on this game. It is still in its infancy and has lots of potential. Whether that potential will be tapped into is a question that will be answered in future updates for the game. Take STO from OP as an example - In its infancy the game had little content and from what I've read boring and unplayable. Many content updates later you came back pleasantly surprised to see the things you wanted to see in the first place and maybe a few things you didn't expect. I myself only started playing STO when it went f2p and am having a pretty good time in there. Like you I do not think it will hold my interest for too much longer either but that's not to say it's a bad game. Still a fair bit of fun to be had in STO pvp XD.

Give TOR time. It may shine later on but at the moment it seems like they've just dug it out of the ground, washed it with Star Wars water and painted mmo onto it.

Ever heard the expression "You Cannot polish a turd" ?

While I wouldnt call SWTOR a turd, I wouldnt call it a must have either. I think there are major things the game missed the mark on and no ammount of polish will fix that. Im a huge Star Wars fan and I followed this game from when ti was just a rumor and I was convinced that Star Wars + Bioware could not go wrong. But sadly SWTOR has become only the second game I bought in 2011 that I regret buying, the first was Brink.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Troneas

we told them we wanted swg2, we got ignored by bioware, flamed by the fanboys... and now everyone is up in arms. 

7 people (who can't let go of a past that isn't nearly as great as they remember)  told them they wanted SWG2... thankfully, they ignored then and didn't model this game out of one of the worst online games ever created.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by NMStudio

7 people (who can't let go of a past that isn't nearly as great as they remember)  told them they wanted SWG2... thankfully, they ignored then and didn't model this game out of one of the worst online games ever created.

Yeah I was wondering who the "WE" is because I was certainly not asking for a remake of that POS.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Volarin

The shocking thing was, how little I missed SWTOR in those 5-6 years I didn't play it. There was no zone, new levels, story or anything I felt I wanted to return and see.

I had to ask my wife what the year was as I thought I had passed through a time/space anomaly and 6 years had passed. Somehow I do not think we will be talking about SWTOR in 5-6 years time!

We will still be talking about PlanetSide and PlanetSide 2 though :) Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I laughed till I cried.   

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Indeed.  +10 to you Sir!

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by GMan3

Indeed.  +10 to you Sir!

Indeed. Perhaps TOR should have been released with no speeders, no space,broken professions, rubberbanding, extreme lag, no jedi, little to no quests....yeah, what a FUN game that would have been. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by ktanner3

Indeed.  +10 to you Sir!

Indeed. Perhaps TOR should have been released with no speeders, no space,broken professions, rubberbanding, extreme lag, no jedi, little to no quests....yeah, what a FUN game that would have been. ;)

Indeed.   SWG just gets better the more I remember it.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Fed1

SWTOR the WoW CLONE that is not a MMORPG!

This place gets better every day LOL

lmao.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Indeed.  +10 to you Sir!

lol..yeah...and the sad thing is it was still WAY MORE FREAKING FUN than SWTOR will EVER be.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by echolynfan

Indeed.  +10 to you Sir!

lol..yeah...and the sad thing is it was still WAY MORE FREAKING FUN than SWTOR will EVER be.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Indeed.  +10 to you Sir!

Ok, so maybe your problem is....you like bad games.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by grimal

Ok, so maybe your problem is....you like bad games.

Sounds about right.

• The_GekkoThe_Gekko Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I actually just cancelled my sub. i was planning on playing this until another gama came out but I simply cannot stand it anymore. The stories are mainly generic as shit and rather transperent. The PvP is a  joke on several levels and the population on both servers I've been playing on are dying anyways. It was a nice albeit short ride and I don't regret the purchase but it simply has no long term value whatsoever.

I wish all the best to those that enjoy it but frankly I think they're in for a rough ride because i don't think this game is going to have near the retention rate even I thought it would have.

I'm in the exact same boat as you my friend. Sadly disappointed, but not regretting the purchase. I cancelled after the 2nd month, and while the game has its merits, it feels like a massive letdown to me.

I wish BW the best, but I have lost a lot of respect for them and find myself somewhat annoyed by all the "fluff" PR and self-congratulating they're doing when they have what is in my eyes, a subpar product.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Diablo has tradable items, dungeons, quest givers, groups, guilds, and crafting. Is it an MMO? No. These are not MMO features. Diablo is a singleplayer game with optional coop. SWTOR is like Diablo. The majority of SWTOR is played in an instance, locked away from everyone else, with NPC companions. Maybe a real life friend now and then. That's not MMO. That's you and a buddy. Hell, even Skyrim has dungeons, quest givers, crafting... Even the raids in SWTOR are extremely small and instanced. And no, GTA does not have coop. It has a multiplayer mode totally different from the main game.

I don't care about Diablo, hence I don't know anything about it.

Except it is quite relevant to the discussion.  He pointed out, based on your criteria, Diablo was an MMO.  Yet Diablo wasn't.  Diablo was the epitome of the dungeon crawl game, and had amazing co-op.  But it wasn't an MMO.  Diablo III will have an AH, that doesn't make it an MMO.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I unsubscribed but then before my sub ran out I hit 50 and it wasn't so bad.  I actually enjoyed going back and doing quests and exploring more.  I maxed out crafting, levelled social and light side, looked for datacrons.

But gradually, one by one less and less people in my guild were logging in.  Maybe they didn't resub I don't know.  It was a guild of 68 and quite a few of those I know were alts.  But still, the number of active players dwindled and now I'm all that's left I guess.  I haven't seen anyone else in a few days.

I went ahead and cancelled my sub.  I have a few weeks left so maybe I will change my mind and resub again.  Or maybe I'll just wait for GW2.  Kinda discouraged.

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

Was quite enjoyable even with all those lags and bugs (they should've fixed them before launching), even with lots of them fixed, its still very laggy on Ilum where "world pvp" is. While some moments of the game are really enjoyable (like datacron hunting), other are quite plain - game seems lifeless (especially Voss with its monotone orange theme and where 75% of lifeforms are freaking nexu - overgrown cats).

95% of mobs stand on one place doing nothing, they could've done something because its as old as mammonth crap, even in Ragnarok Online mobs were moving a bit and were more alive than here. "Epic Bossfights" arent... epic, its the same 8-16 guys against 1 big (not)awesome boss. Some of them are fun though, like Bonethrasher with cantina music or Jarg and Sorno, one of them is about hanoi towers minigame (there seems to be no Bioware game without hanoi towers lately), but other than that they are lifeless piles of loot.

Loot sucks too, you get token you exchange for some fugly (FUGLY) piece of sh... item, and those are all the same - statsticks with no variability, no "chance on hit that jesus comes and heals you and your party" stuff, only the same items with same stat totals and... fugly... (they should hang their designer, rly).

Altwhoring is nice, actually its one of the best in games, you cant really skip planets but its enjoyable to level 2 or 3 characters, on republic/empire, choosing different personality and not sticking to light/dark side choices (coz rewards arent worth it anyway).

PvP is somewhat fine, its fast and huttball is quite enjoyable for a while but it gets boring fast if you are on empire and balance... is far from perfect. PvP is 50% about sorcs 25% about mercs and rest about non-FOTM classes. Its not fun knowing that your most important class ability (cover) is buggy as hell (and somewhat useless) and that you cant survive unlike other *cough* sorc *cough* classes, or that you cant PvP in other specs because they suck too much (some suck both in PvP and PvE) and Bioware is doing almost nothing to fix it (they nerfed assassins hybrid specs making them "spec tank or die" class, they could instead buff operative healing, powertech prototype tree or nerf sorcs survivability, make arsenal mercs something other than 1button class, but no, they know better). Oh, and there is almost no world PvP in swtor, you get no rewards and very few leveling zones are cross-faction. The only "PvP area" is Ilum but its just a sheep pen where you can fight enemy faction and... thats all, you cant do anything else there other than fighting each other... great...

Anyway, check torhead (aka wowhead for swtor) for "leaked patch notes", they look legit and shows how EA (everyone knows how good they are) are going to handle things. 1 major update every 2 months or so with 1 new operation (aka raid) to clean in less than a week (they probably have them done already, but want to spend less moneys on new content even if they lose players)with some crappy (probably fugly) loot and some minor balance changes and major bugfixes (they still have a lot of bugs to fix, lol).

So if you want to enjoy SWTOR, give it a year or so, let BW fix all the bugs, balance and fill it with enough content so you can fully enjoy the game. I'm planning on doing so and I advise you the same.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by iceman00

Diablo has tradable items, dungeons, quest givers, groups, guilds, and crafting. Is it an MMO? No. These are not MMO features. Diablo is a singleplayer game with optional coop. SWTOR is like Diablo. The majority of SWTOR is played in an instance, locked away from everyone else, with NPC companions. Maybe a real life friend now and then. That's not MMO. That's you and a buddy. Hell, even Skyrim has dungeons, quest givers, crafting... Even the raids in SWTOR are extremely small and instanced. And no, GTA does not have coop. It has a multiplayer mode totally different from the main game.

I don't care about Diablo, hence I don't know anything about it.

Except it is quite relevant to the discussion.  He pointed out, based on your criteria, Diablo was an MMO.  Yet Diablo wasn't.  Diablo was the epitome of the dungeon crawl game, and had amazing co-op.  But it wasn't an MMO.  Diablo III will have an AH, that doesn't make it an MMO.

But you missed the point. When I say "I don't care about Diablo, hence I don't know anything about it.", it means I can't debate against it one way or the other. I wasn't saying that it was not relevant, just that unlike some on this site I'm not going to argue against something I know nothing about.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by The_Gekko

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I actually just cancelled my sub. i was planning on playing this until another gama came out but I simply cannot stand it anymore. The stories are mainly generic as shit and rather transperent. The PvP is a  joke on several levels and the population on both servers I've been playing on are dying anyways. It was a nice albeit short ride and I don't regret the purchase but it simply has no long term value whatsoever.

I wish all the best to those that enjoy it but frankly I think they're in for a rough ride because i don't think this game is going to have near the retention rate even I thought it would have.

I'm in the exact same boat as you my friend. Sadly disappointed, but not regretting the purchase. I cancelled after the 2nd month, and while the game has its merits, it feels like a massive letdown to me.

I wish BW the best, but I have lost a lot of respect for them and find myself somewhat annoyed by all the "fluff" PR and self-congratulating they're doing when they have what is in my eyes, a subpar product.

Sadly Bioware isn't catching on that they are putting a lot of players into this same frame of mind. I know this is one of the things I feel as well. The PR Blitz really annoyed the crap out of me and after awhile became a gut reaction turn off anytime I saw more PR. The recent video just another nail in that coffin.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Vesper11

So if you want to enjoy SWTOR, give it a year or so, let BW fix all the bugs, balance and fill it with enough content so you can fully enjoy the game. I'm planning on doing so and I advise you the same.

I was planning to check back into the game around summer, but I'll take you advice and reconsider it around January 2013.

This is of course if it hasn't gone to where Tabula Rasa went and I can't do that. Besides that only thing that bugs me is there might be a huge SW fan concentration and I simply can't stand those people.