Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what exactly will keep people playing?

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

No gear progression in PvP, no raids for PvE raid progression, you can hit level cap insanely quickly....is this going to be like ToR and people will just make alts upon alts? I do not see the incentive to keep playing, where is the carrot?

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Unlike "carrot" based games, in GW2 you wil either play the game because you actually ENJOY it, or you will quit for a while. And honestly, I think this is good thing.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

PvP, exploration, a community, events, achievements, finishing quests... I mean all YOU have listed is hollow, shallow carrots on the stick - carrots that most people really don't even like but simply choose to follow like idiots because they have been conditioned to do so as if they were lab rats. 

GW2 - a game where you log on if and when you want to have fun. It's sad that this simple concept is so shocking to MMORPG chumps, I mean gamers. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

its kinda where i sit with it. the GW1 got boring after a month or 2. if they add something like Territorial PvP where winning or losing a fight actually matters then maybe it may get more pull. i could care less about any form of gear progression. honestly i HATE gear progression. cause the gear i want to wear is always sitting in the mid level area, and the clown suits that look rediculous seem to be the endgame gear.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Monorojo

No gear progression in PvP, no raids for PvE raid progression, you can hit level cap insanely quickly....is this going to be like ToR and people will just make alts upon alts? I do not see the incentive to keep playing, where is the carrot?

you need to watch some of the new beta movies popping up. then try asking that question again with a straight face.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by LadyNoh

its kinda where i sit with it. the GW1 got boring after a month or 2. if they add something like Territorial PvP where winning or losing a fight actually matters then maybe it may get more pull. i could care less about any form of gear progression. honestly i HATE gear progression. cause the gear i want to wear is always sitting in the mid level area, and the clown suits that look rediculous seem to be the endgame gear.

You'll be able to transmogrify stats from one set of gear to another, so you can jack up your mid-level gear with "clown suit" stats without looking like Cee Lo Green in drag.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Well from what I see there is a heavy emphasis on ranked pvp, and I'm a straight pvper so I'm just gonna keep driving for the ranks. Best part is I won't be set below people who no life the game because there are no gear advantages

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Eh, ill stick to TSW for PVP. i wanna take over the world.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Fun?

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

You'll be able to transmogrify stats from one set of gear to another, so you can jack up your mid-level gear with "clown suit" stats without looking like Cee Lo Green in drag.

Are you referring to his Superbowl half-time show appearance :P

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

are you kidding, I am spinning my head wondering if there will be enough time to do it all before an expansion is released.

I know for a fact WvW is where I will level up the majority of my main characters. Then forget about the fact you can match play all the classes without even needing to level up. Then watchin a PvE video, I see a guy fall off a rock into a lake, only to find  a cave that had a whole area as big as the open area he just fell from. PVP, Exploration ,WvW battles. Forget about crafting, gathering, the city mini games (have you seen the cities?) it's all quite overwhelming. And notice, I haven't even mention Dynamic world changing events yet.

End game is everywhere, it starts at level 1

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Monorojo

The two big reasons are, WvWvW PvP and dynamic server events, like NPC invasions.

Thats tons of fun! Far better than raiding the same dungeon over and over and over just for a piece of armor.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I play for the thrill . I play for that satisfying feeling once you've peirced your flag through your opponents chest. I play for those close epic  fights that sends your blood  pumping in the midst of choas through hordes of enemies. I play...for the heat of  battle!

I'am Norn!

i should have put a line between that paragraph. the "no gear progression" was in favor of GW2 not against it.

honestly, i have looked over this game time and time again, but i dont get giddy like a school girl. TSW brings that out in me because i start thinking about the possiblities.

im sure GW2 will be good, but really it doesnt stick in my head quite as much as TSW. though i do think this game has a much needed role in the progression of MMORPG as a whole. TSW is taking a huge step forward we need another game to kinda sit inbetween it and WoW. GW2 seems to land that role PERFECTLY.

Because i can.

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

Some games are made to be played. GW2 is not about endless gear grinding; it's about fun. It's an actual game.

When I pvp I will be doing it for the sheer enjoyment and competition. I will not be doing it so that I can acquire a more powerful set of gear.

If someone has more time to play than myself, they should not be rewarded with an advantage. The only reason they should be better than me is if they are just that; better than me.

In GW2 time does not necessarily = power; just the way it should be.

The gear grind has been so heavily hard-coded into the mindset of the average MMORPG player that much like yourself, I doubt they can really see the glaring flaws that revolve around it.

Bottom line: MMORPGs should be about fun, involving, addictive game-play; not an ever evolving grind-fest for artificial power, and a temporary sense of accomplishment to make you feel satisfied; creating a substitute for engaging and meaningful long-term game-play.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

the endgame (a.k.a. the real game) starts from the get-go, so if that means i burn out early because i don't have to grind for cap (which is actually what always burns me out to begin with), then i say good for them! games are meant to be played from square one, not after trudging up some huge leveling curve on a gear treadmill. imagine if you wanted to play candyland, but first you had to make the board, fashion the dice, and make the tokens or whatever? and you had to do it all just so or it wouldn't be kosher. doesn't sound fun to me.

so if two months into release i burn out, that's fine by me. at least that two months will have been spent playing the game instead of trying to advance enough to start playing it.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

So is it safe to say i should buy this game right at  launch or wait for an expansion? I'm trying to understand what you guys are dishing out here.

Because as I imagine it,  with just the fun factor going for the game, after about of year playing the same pvp maps and having played through most of the content, the fun factor will have dwindled. I can't see that many players who were enthuastic about the game at launch still playing after a year, and then they may come back when an expansion comes out to do it again, then leave again. Without a robust community, which this game seems to be dependant on, then doesnt the fun factor just fall off completely?

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Quote "If someone has more time to play than myself, they should not be rewarded with an advantage. The only reason they should be better than me is if they are just that; better than me."

Wahh, What!!.. Your telling me i put in more time and effort than you and i shouldn't be rewarded"... Thats like saying i work 80hrs a week and you work 40hrs and becuase you can't work the 80hrs, I shouldn't  be paid (or rewarded) extra.... Can't see the logic.

Back to the topic...

I think in a month or 2 people will start to move on from GW 2, not becuase it sucks or anything of the sort.. 

But because it free, and they don't want to get burnt out...

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Quote "If someone has more time to play than myself, they should not be rewarded with an advantage. The only reason they should be better than me is if they are just that; better than me."

Wahh, What!!.. Your telling me i put in more time and effort than you and i shouldn't be rewarded"... Thats like saying i work 80hrs a week and you work 40hrs and becuase you can't work the 80hrs, I shouldn't  be paid (or rewarded) extra.... Can't see the logic.

Ifyou put more time in it, then you should have an advantage, you should be more skilled with your character, know more tricks, more combos, or weaknesses. You know, not artificial advantages, real ones that are skill based.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by pharazonic

PvP, exploration, a community, events, achievements, finishing quests... I mean all YOU have listed is hollow, shallow carrots on the stick - carrots that most people really don't even like but simply choose to follow like idiots because they have been conditioned to do so as if they were lab rats. 

GW2 - a game where you log on if and when you want to have fun. It's sad that this simple concept is so shocking to MMORPG chumps, I mean gamers. 

Ok the problem with "exploration, achievements, and finishing quests" is that they are all indefinite goals.  They aren't things that will keep a gamer around for something as long as gear progression would.  Even though I agree that traditional style gear progression is lame now.

And there's also an issue with "a game where you log on if and when you want to have fun".  I play a few of these games already.  Usually sports, rpg, or FPS games.  These games are great but a large portion of the mmo crowd is waiting for another 'hardcore' game that they can play.  Something they can play everyday if they have the time.  I think these people will get bored with GW2 after cap, and so it won't be as popular for as long as some think it will be.  Personally, this is fine for me because I play games casually, so I don't have a problem logging in every now and then just to have fun.   

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Bunks

are you kidding, I am spinning my head wondering if there will be enough time to do it all before an expansion is released.

I know for a fact WvW is where I will level up the majority of my main characters. Then forget about the fact you can match play all the classes without even needing to level up. Then watchin a PvE video, I see a guy fall off a rock into a lake, only to find  a cave that had a whole area as big as the open area he just fell from. PVP, Exploration ,WvW battles. Forget about crafting, gathering, the city mini games (have you seen the cities?) it's all quite overwhelming. And notice, I haven't even mention Dynamic world changing events yet.

End game is everywhere, it starts at level 1

I agree.

There is almost too much to do.

The entire game is endgame and you can go back and do content you've "outleveled" and still find it challenging and fun. That would mean less if the PVE content was static quests in a static world, but with DEs and a world that feels alive you've got tons of content that once it becomes available to you, remains available to you. With out end game grinds or carrot and stick treadmills, there is no reason to stop playing content you find fun, just because your level bar no longer moves. They remove the treadmill, point you towards the massive, dynamic world and say "get out and enjoy".

There is the replayability of alts, which is much more inviting than in other games. The branching personal story varies greatly based on race, profession and biography choices. The game zones are different every time you return, since different Dynamic Events will always be in a different combination of states and stages. There is plenty of redundancy of game zones, so you can chart a leveling path that explores parts of the world you didn't hit with the last character. Etc...

Add in Competative PVP, World Vs World and even little things like the plethora of in game mini-games and there is plenty of long term fun to be had. Bonus points for not requiring you to become a Raid Progression Robot in order to find something to do with your characters once they do reach the level cap.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I have mixed feelings about endgame in GW2.  On one hand, I'm excited about an MMO that lets me stay competitive even with my limited play time; however, all I keep hearing is how Anet is reducing the gear grind.  Reducing the gear grind without putting anything else in its place just means your game has no endgame content, and people are going to tire out within the first two months.

Not much different from SW:TOR when you look at it from that perspective.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

i should have put a line between that paragraph. the "no gear progression" was in favor of GW2 not against it.

honestly, i have looked over this game time and time again, but i dont get giddy like a school girl. TSW brings that out in me because i start thinking about the possiblities.

im sure GW2 will be good, but really it doesnt stick in my head quite as much as TSW. though i do think this game has a much needed role in the progression of MMORPG as a whole. TSW is taking a huge step forward we need another game to kinda sit inbetween it and WoW. GW2 seems to land that role PERFECTLY.

IDK why you think TSW will be that good... its made by funcom.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

wanna know something funny, that arguement means absolutely nothing.

there is no factual statement behind it, there is no Evidence what so ever. the only arguement i have heard is the word Funcom.

and you know what. completely different dev team is working on the game, look up adventure company and you will see who's making the game.

Anywho, i may give GW2 a shot if it comes out first, but i got bored of the first one pretty quickly.

Because i can.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Back to the topic...

I think in a month or 2 people will start to move on from GW 2, not becuase it sucks or anything of the sort.. 

But because it free, and they don't want to get burnt out...

by that argument, i don't see why some people earn millions and i earn a smidgen of that when i work some 50+ hours most weeks and they're working a good deal less. they seem to get long lunch breaks, too. in restaurants and cafes. with other dudes earning the same ridiculous pay. i get half an hour and that's it. my work bonus is a constant pain in my leg, bad lower back, and less superannuation than an ant can pee. and don't say they do their share of work, because work is something i never see them doing.

as for moving on... moving on to ... what? not much else due out at this stage.

if someone else has more time to play, it's because they're unemployed or a student. either way, they're playing on my taxes. in which case, i'm paying for them to play. so they should be giving ME the bonus extras as a thankyou for giving THEM the time to play. because, yes, i'm STILL paying more taxes than those guys going to lunch and getting paid more.

i guess what i'm saying is: life ain't fair, but i'm so glad there's at least one game coming out that's giving me the chance to pretend it could be for a few hours a day...

wanna know something funny, that arguement means absolutely nothing.

there is no factual statement behind it, there is no Evidence what so ever. the only arguement i have heard is the word Funcom.

and you know what. completely different dev team is working on the game, look up adventure company and you will see who's making the game.

Anywho, i may give GW2 a shot if it comes out first, but i got bored of the first one pretty quickly.

TSW is going to be my sub game, but so far I havent seen a lot that has my worries put aside yet. GW2 has removed all my skepticisms with proof of play. TSW hasn't done that yet. So Im still concerned.