Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overflow servers, bye bye Que

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Aerowyn

how have other companies not been doing this for years!!! Honestly this is such a great idea and can't beleive other games have not done this.. especially for high profile games like swtor..  I honestly don't see how ANYONE could possibly say anything bad about this if it works as intented... I mean really what in the world bad could come out of this if it works? 

One could say low pop overflow servers but then the counter to that is free transfers and your notified when you have able to get into the actual server by a pop up notification so you must have patience.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by spankybus

What happens when the overflow server is full?

I'm sure they would have another one.

Its a cluster or well more properly you won't even know about any hardware.  You will never be able to tell that the "overflow server" is full because its not a single server and you will have no idea where you "reside".

"Server" is a logical abstraction in this case.  Its the same as a Chat room.  Your logical placeholder for your character and all the pointers to the backing data will be passed around some kind of infrastructure until they find something that has the appropriate load.

This is load balancing.  Nothing more really.  The key difference between GW2 and other games is in the other you are STUCK on one cluster of machines.

GW1 was one massive cluster of servers where you could choose which dynamic chatroom(instance) your were in to associate with whomever you pleased.

This would be the same thing in reality.  But they are monkeying around with definitions so that you can play on a "server" whose playerbase is well defined so that it suits your(our?) psychological needs.

Basically you can dyanmically server transfer on the fly because its coded well.

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I'm sure they would have another one.

Its a cluster or well more properly you won't even know about any hardware.  You will never be able to tell that the "overflow server" is full because its not a single server and you will have no idea where you "reside".

"Server" is a logical abstraction in this case.  Its the same as a Chat room.  Your logical placeholder for your character and all the pointers to the backing data will be passed around some kind of infrastructure until they find something that has the appropriate load.

This is load balancing.  Nothing more really.  The key difference between GW2 and other games is in the other you are STUCK on one cluster of machines.

GW1 was one massive cluster of servers where you could choose which dynamic chatroom(instance) your were in to associate with whomever you pleased.

This would be the same thing in reality.  But they are monkeying around with definitions so that you can play on a "server" whose playerbase is well defined so that it suits your(our?) psychological needs.

Basically you can dyanmically server transfer on the fly because its coded well.

Ahh ok interesting.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by RizelStar

how have other companies not been doing this for years!!! Honestly this is such a great idea and can't beleive other games have not done this.. especially for high profile games like swtor..  I honestly don't see how ANYONE could possibly say anything bad about this if it works as intented... I mean really what in the world bad could come out of this if it works? 

One could say low pop overflow servers but then the counter to that is free transfers and your notified when you have able to get into the actual server by a pop up notification so you must have patience.

but who cares if the overflow server is low pop? I would rather play in an empty server by myself while waiting for my server que than just sitting in que twidiling my thumbs..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Alright Creslin, I owe you an apology. Take it for what it's worth because rarely will you see me admit I was wrong.

Apparently there are some that think this is a bad idea.  I have no idea why this is such a problem to them, but I get why you made the other comment I quoted.

In my defense, I was going under the belief that people would prefer something like this to extremely long queues or a game having too many servers diluting populations. Silly me I guess.

People are nuts. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• Originally posted by RizelStar

You should get out of the mould of thinking server transfers mean anything.  The fact that these games have been treating server transfers like they were really hard is just so much BS.

I am sure they were a "bid deal" for thsoe games.  But that is because they were not coded that well.  These games are not made in an enterprise manner.  Even though they are some the biggest enterprise applications around.

Each server is its own standalone thing.  But the user's and their character are an enterprise resource that all servers should have dynamic access too. 

However they do not.  Because in some ways this industry is ridiculously primitive sometimes.  Mostly because they brute force stuff out the wazoo.  Both technically and in game design.  When you have a problem just get a bigger hammer!  Taht should be the motto of 90% of the MMO industry (well sadly 50% of developers in general)

but who cares if the overflow server is low pop? I would rather play in an empty server by myself while waiting for my server que than just sitting in que twidiling my thumbs..

I know I was throwing out what someone could bring up lol.

@Gestalt oh I agree.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by pharazonic

There will be another overflow server... and another one for that one.

OVERFLOWSERVERCEPTION!

An instance within an instance....three levels? but will time flow slower as you go deeper into the servers's sub-conscious? Wait, does that make all the NPC's projections of the gamers sub-conscience!? No wonder they are as dumb as a box of rocks..

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Seems like a good idea but we'll have to see how much of the game is actually playable on these OF servers. If you can only quest, for example, then it won't do you much good once you've reached max level.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Sounds like what Lotro did, except they kind of bungled the implementation.  There the game automatically moved you between servers and at times you bounced back and forth frequently.  It was disorienting.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Oh man this thread was such a great read this morning.  I remember now why I can never leave MMORPG.com. 

Another interesting thing to check out.  I think it shows that they are aiming to enhance every aspect of their game and address every core issue with todays MMO's.  I mean really every aspect of Guild Wars 1 and current problems with MMO's has been addressed and you can tell they put a lot of time into it.  Now will that uncover new problems?  Only time will tell, but it will definitely be refreshing.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

how will this affect city's?  if the city is full and i enter a different instance of it.  could it possibly hinder my ability to use the AH?

im assuming i need to be in the city to use the ah.  also would i be able to mail things, if i need to?

I've got the straight edge.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Originally posted by brody71

how will this affect city's?  if the city is full and i enter a different instance of it.  could it possibly hinder my ability to use the AH?

im assuming i need to be in the city to use the ah.  also would i be able to mail things, if i need to?

You may access your mails from anywhere in the game. Not sure about ah, but since you can work the ah from the mobile app, I don't think you need to be in the cities for ah too.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Consensus

bleh instancing sucks anyway.

Yeah... its better to stare 2 hours agains a wall !!

Down with instancing ! Down with new technology !

Originally posted by IPolygon

You may access your mails from anywhere in the game. Not sure about ah, but since you can work the ah from the mobile app, I don't think you need to be in the cities for ah too.

id rather stay away from mobile apps, but as far as mail, i know i can use it anywhere in the game, but will i be able to mail something to another character that is not in my instance?  or will i be s.o.l. til i get back to my main realm. 

also ah, if i needed to unload my inventory and put a bunch of stuff on the ah, does it connect to my mainserver somehow? or will i be s.o.l. there too?

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by ProfRed

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

I see some of you concentrate on the really important stuff.

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

From : http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1128627&postcount=346

These guys really seem to look at problems that plague most games and come up with pretty cool solutions. 

This is what TOR does and it really sux....

Originally posted by IPolygon

id rather stay away from mobile apps, but as far as mail, i know i can use it anywhere in the game, but will i be able to mail something to another character that is not in my instance?  or will i be s.o.l. til i get back to my main realm. 

also ah, if i needed to unload my inventory and put a bunch of stuff on the ah, does it connect to my mainserver somehow? or will i be s.o.l. there too?

I'd like to understand this because they said AH is connected to all servers or something like that. I don't mind being wrong, would like a better confirmation.

Originally posted by nomss

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

These guys really seem to look at problems that plague most games and come up with pretty cool solutions. 

Your a bit confused as tor servers has shards within it, GW2 has an overflow servers for people in queues meaning no waits.

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

Your a bit confused as tor servers has shards within it, GW2 has an overflow servers for people in queues meaning no waits.

it could be that an "overflow server" is nothing more than differnt wording for "shards" or "channels". in which case that answers my questions about the ah and mail. 

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

How could it comes haters to troll about this wonderful idea ?
    Anet thinks about players enjoying their games actually, and if someone is not happy so move along ! Let me play and enjoy the game from 1st minute.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is moving you to another sever, not instancing.

To me it sounds fine, I can wait for my server to get a spot and play while I wait, the alternative is staring at my screen counting down while rolling my thumbs.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Loke666

That is moving you to another sever, not instancing.

To me it sounds fine, I can wait for my server to get a spot and play while I wait, the alternative is staring at my screen counting down while rolling my thumbs.

Yep, plus we could jump to mist or battleground.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Alright Creslin, I owe you an apology. Take it for what it's worth because rarely will you see me admit I was wrong.

Apparently there are some that think this is a bad idea.  I have no idea why this is such a problem to them, but I get why you made the other comment I quoted.

In my defense, I was going under the belief that people would prefer something like this to extremely long queues or a game having too many servers diluting populations. Silly me I guess.

Hahah, people on this forum will complain about anything.

You would think that people would prefer to actually PLAY the game than just wait in a queue, but that would be logical and thus wrong to think that of this forum ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Creslin321

Hahah, people on this forum will complain about anything.

You would think that people would prefer to actually PLAY the game than just wait in a queue, but that would be logical and thus wrong to think that of this forum ;).

Lol, yeah. I think most people complaining didn´t consider the alternatives. And the only 2 alternatives is to either let you watch a que or open up more instances as soon as a certain number of players is around.

Since GW2 let you change server you can´t just refuse to let players roll a character on a rather full server and have a large marginal on how many players the servers should hold.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

From;

Martin Kerstein

ArenaNet

No, it is not what it SWTOR does. Do people not know how to read?

In GW2:

1. You try to log in, but server is full.

2. You have the option of playing on a temporary server until you can join your normal server.

3. Once you are in the normal server, there is only 1 copy of the world.

In SWTOR:

1. You try to log in, but server is full.

2. You wait in queue until you get in.

3. Once in, each zone has multiple copies.  <---- THIS is what is wrong with SWTOR and DOES NOT occur in GW2.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing, use it.