Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From what has been shown, do you like the voice acting and the chatter?

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

From what has been shown in the many videos...the ones where people are questing, doing personal stories or just the ambient chatter in the cities...how do you like the voice acting?

Do you think it is better than other MMOs and Singleplayer games? On par with what is already out? Or do you think the voice acting is worse than average, and you just didn't like it?

I haven't really seen too many videos...the three city tour ones of the Norn city, Divinity's Reach and the Charr city...Black Citadel I think it is. Kind of hard to avoid all the GW2 information, but I kind of like being surprised. But anyway...I thought the Charr voices were rather good, how I picture the Charr to sound. And I thought the ambient chatter in Divinity's Reach was actually rather good...the game definitely has TONS of voice acting, but it doesn't appear the rest of the game suffered because of it. Kind of reminds me of Skyrim and random NPCs will be talking with each other or roaming around.

The only thing I didn't like was that Black Citadel seemed...quiet. Black Citadel had a distinct lack of...chatter that Divinity's Reach had. There wasn't really too many NPCs talking with each other, judging by the video I saw of the city tour. Like there were places there should probably have been chat going on, so maybe it isn't fully finished yet. But, the Charr story had nice voice acting for their personal story...I thought it was nice, anyway.

Comments

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

after 80 levels the grunting might get to me hope i can turn it off.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I really like the chatter, much more than I had expected. But the Personal Story dialogue... yeah... it's too cheesy in my opinion.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Adequate.

But if I wanted an interactive talking book I'd play SWTOR.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I personally digg the details they added, because it isn't even in the capitals, if you notice they added those touches everywhere else.

Also about black citadel you never know if they activate when you arrive or they have their own times in conversations.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I love it.

I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb and suggest that the Black Citidel had less chatter because they haven't completed adding random chatter to that city.

I also really like the cut scene conversations. The lip syncing has greatly improved from earlier builds, the gestures are much more natural and I'm impressed by how detailed and realistic the facial expressions are.

They seem to have struck the proper balance on the Voice Over usage in the game. It's used during your personal story, at key monents during dungeons and other key content and for ambiance, but you don't have a cut scene for every single bit of PVE content you chose to participate in. Of course, that goes just beyond VO and cutscenes. It's really incredible when you ralize that most of your "quest" content, (Dynamic Events), occurs with out you having to talk to anyone, or see anyone for a turn in. It's going to be very hard to go back to any traditional Quest based MMO after playing GW2.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Yes its a very nice feature,  Kudos to the Anet team. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by fiontar

I love it.

I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb and suggest that the Black Citidel had less chatter because they haven't completed adding random chatter to that city.

I also really like the cut scene conversations. The lip syncing has greatly improved from earlier builds, the gestures are much more natural and I'm impressed by how detailed and realistic the facial expressions are.

They seem to have struck the proper balance on the Voice Over usage in the game. It's used during your personal story, at key monents during dungeons and other key content and for ambiance, but you don't have a cut scene for every single bit of PVE content you chose to participate in. Of course, that goes just beyond VO and cutscenes. It's really incredible when you ralize that most of your "quest" content, (Dynamic Events), occurs with out you having to talk to anyone, or see anyone for a turn in. It's going to be very hard to go back to any traditional Quest based MMO after playing GW2.

In a nutshell this.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

It's pretty decent, but it's fairly obvious they didn't spend $200 million on it  image

THANK GOD!

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

A few things:

1. I love the city chatter and ambient sounds.  I think this adds to the atmosphere tremendously.  I expect GW2 cities will feel more immersive than almost any other video game cities I've visited. 

2. Voice acting and dialogue--I'm a huge fan of the seamless, cinematic presentation in Bioware games.  That's my favorite style as it draws me into the game the most; but I suspect GW2's artistic style will grow on me.

3. Concerning Anet's execution of their dialogue, I think it's brilliant.  Their updated lip movement and facial expression system really shows.  Looks fantastic. 

4. Concerning the quality of the voice acting itself, it sounds equally superb thus far, especially the male Charr characters. 

Overall, I'm very pleased with what I've seen in this regard.  I look forward to experiencing it for myself. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I thought the in game chatter in the cities was very well done. Really adds to the ambience and immersion. Very well done and rather impressive.

I found the vo for the cinematic story line portions was simply awful. Completely lacking in any emotion or depth. The inflection was off. Felt stiff as hell like they were reading it straight off the teleprompter. Far as that portion goes I thought it was dreadful and almost comedic in unintended ways at times. Least from what I have seen or rather heard so far anyways.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I find that the voice acting is very much hit and miss.  Sometimes it's first rate and sometimes it's cringe-worthy.  It seems much of the quality ended up with the charr.  The ambient chatter though, gets a big thumbs up from me.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Not a huge fan from what I have heard so far, especially in pvp situations, like at the start of matches seemed kind of forced and out of place. not exactly 2 worlds bad but a couple cut it close.

I am glad they didn't spend millions on it though and focused on great gameplay unlike our latest disaster.

C

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Can't edit because on my phone but my dislike is simply for the VOs. the ambients and such is right on

C

Originally posted by Ecoces

after 80 levels the grunting might get to me hope i can turn it off.

You know that is an interesting point. It is amusing how early in the game little extras like that seem really cool.

Then later on after you hear it hundreds of times or get into a raid scenario where everyone and their mother is grutning and yelling you simply want to chuck your pc out a window.

LotR was good for that. Jesus Christ did it get annoying after a while when in large groups.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

the chatter and ambience are great

the voice acting, well it's hit and miss as someone else said. I kind of like the artistic approach they use but I also feel it removes you from the area that you are in, it's kind of jarring. At least it's only for the personal campaign though and not for every single thing in the game.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Clearly they should have spent 100 million on their VOs and restricted OW PvP to capturing meaningless objectives, allowing for the infinite pleasures of kill trading.

From what I've heard so far, the voice work is fair; nothing special. In my opinion, it's not a noteworthy feature that would influence my decision to play or my enjoyment.

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Clearly they should have spent 100 million on their VOs and restricted OW PvP to capturing meaningless objectives, allowing for the infinite pleasures of kill trading.

Sweet! There's a game that did this! Whatever could it be?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

The questing dialogue is decent, nothing spectacular but acceptable.

But what I really like is how they use voice work to inform you about what's going on in the heat of combat.  For instance, I saw a video where a guy got hit with a "snare" effect and he yelled "My leg!"  It instantly let you know that you had been hit with a condition, you didn't have to look up at any kind of status bar to check.

Now I know that "snare" effects are obvious, but DoTs, confuses, things like that are not always super obvious.  I hope that there are audio cues for those as well.  Like maybe if you're confused your guy will yell "What's happening?!?!" (Rerun hehe) or if you guy gets affected by a DoT or an STD he will yell "Ahh!!  It burns!"

EDIT..

The one thing that I thought was a little cheesy was the announcer at the beginning of the instanced PvP matches.  I just remember he said something goofy like "Hold to control points to get point, DO I HAVE TO SPELL THIS OUT FOR YOU?!?!?!"

...echoes of the Huttball announcer lol :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I kind of like the artistic approach they use but I also feel it removes you from the area that you are in, it's kind of jarring. At least it's only for the personal campaign though and not for every single thing in the game.

Yeah, I have to say I found that rather odd too. I mean the backdrop was kind of cool but it just felt and looked weird to me. Messes with the immersion of the story element for me and felt disjointed.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Background chatter is really good and atmospheric, the cutscenes and random "warcry" can sound kinda weird at times. Like its too clear or articulated.

But overall its two thumbs up! image image

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I think it's just enough to actually listen to while not being anoying like that other game that spent 200 mill on voices.Pleny of ambient chatter in ther cities and people going about their buisness while having a chat is great.

9/10 ArenaNet ,always room for improvement though.

Originally posted by Creslin321

The questing dialogue is decent, nothing spectacular but acceptable.

But what I really like is how they use voice work to inform you about what's going on in the heat of combat.  For instance, I saw a video where a guy got hit with a "snare" effect and he yelled "My leg!"  It instantly let you know that you had been hit with a condition, you didn't have to look up at any kind of status bar to check.

Now I know that "snare" effects are obvious, but DoTs, confuses, things like that are not always super obvious.  I hope that there are audio cues for those as well.  Like maybe if you're confused your guy will yell "What's happening?!?!" (Rerun hehe) or if you guy gets affected by a DoT or an STD he will yell "Ahh!!  It burns!"

EDIT..

The one thing that I thought was a little cheesy was the announcer at the beginning of the instanced PvP matches.  I just remember he said something goofy like "Hold to control points to get point, DO I HAVE TO SPELL THIS OUT FOR YOU?!?!?!"

...echoes of the Huttball announcer lol :).

"Where did he go I don't see him."

I just like how they added it into gameplay as well for a bit more dramactic effect.

Also did anyone notice in the cutscenes it said [Work in progress]

Originally posted by RizelStar

Also did anyone notice in the cutscenes it said [Work in progress]

So? We're referring to how they are currently so what is your point? Sure most did kind of hard to miss.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

the chatter? Awesome

The voice over? I dont care much about it and im generally a deaf when the theme is voice over quality

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence