Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the event WoW went f2p

Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Not that I think they should, or will, or "why". Just simply, in the event of. Could you imagine the ramifcations it could have on the MMO industry in it's entirety. It could effectively end p2p MMO's.

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

i don't think it would be as serious as you are making it sound. there are still plenty of P2P mmo's on the market, its not like WoW going P2P will suddenly make every other game go F2P

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by LadyNoh

i don't think it would be as serious as you are making it sound. there are still plenty of P2P mmo's on the market, its not like WoW going P2P will suddenly make every other game go F2P

I'd like to think that. But  the amount of peple I personaly know that have at one point played WoW is astounding, even though a lot of them(us) have quit. the general MMO public seems to be finding it increasingly more difficult to justify paying for an MMO now that we have some good f2p options/variety. However I still personaly prefer the p2p as it is better for those geeky reasons. reguardless, a large majority of people i bet would feel as I do about that if they went f2p and just say "wow is good enough for me, and its free AND I know a * load of people that play".

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

It really have to depend what they do when going to f2p.

If you have to pay to go to the next zone or to the next 10 levels , than i dont think it'll be that popular, unless its really cheap.

If as per normal, just that you cant get into max-level raid, or have a fewer charc slot, than i believe it'll be very succesful in terms of subs...

RIP Orc Choppa

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211
    I left WoW because I wasn't having fun anymore not cause of subscription, so if they go free to play don't mean game suddenly is fun for me. Personally if I returned to WoW is like beating a dead horse so no ain't happening. Aion is free to play so I went back to play it and 3 days later left again. A game that stops being fun its done for me p2p or f2p end of story.
    I really wish WoW goes free to play so it gathers all the messed up community that intruded other games and let us real mmorpg players enjoy our games. WoW players to me are nothing but Facebook players not gamers.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

WoW wont go f2p until it starts dying like eq1. dont expect this to happen until were all dead haha

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

The amount fo people playing would skyrocket probably to the point they would have to add servers. I vote B2P would be a more reasonable model considering their expansions cost money.

Originally posted by RedKatana

I left WoW because I wasn't having fun anymore not cause of subscription, so if they go free to play don't mean game suddenly is fun for me. Personally if I returned to WoW is like beating a dead horse so no ain't happening. Aion is free to play so I went back to play it and 3 days later left again. A game that stops being fun its done for me p2p or f2p end of story. I really wish WoW goes free to play so it gathers all the messed up community that intruded other games and let us real mmorpg players enjoy our games. WoW players to me are nothing but Facebook players not gamers.

See, I would think this opinion is in the minority. Granted I agree with you, however, WoW f2p would still pull so many people that other p2p games wouldn't have te player base required to sustain anything worthwhile - is my theory.

Would a person that eats only healthy food eat fast food if it was free? Me personally never.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by RedKatana

Would a person that eats only healthy food eat fast food if it was free? Me personally never.

You would if you were starving.

lol this isn't food. If we were talking about food I would go wherever the cheese was

It was a metaphor, cause that's how I see wow now quick easy and nasty.
    For example guild wars 2 is buy to play and without subscription but you get a new game that is up to date vs wow outdated and most allready done everything anyways.
    I don't care about sub so I will sub Tera too and buy guild wars 2.
    I really wish ArchAge to release in NA though cause that looks like its the most open world and most options a mmorpg ever had.
  • azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by LadyNoh

You underestimate the stupidity of humanity....

"WoW has it! why can't this one!?!?" Is a common thing people bitch about in MMOs today. If WoW went F2P, suddenly a large number of people(Read: idiots) would refuse to play any game thats P2P because WoW did it.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

wasn't there an article i read at some point stating that out of the 10 million current WoW players, only 500K are in North A? Maybe just f2p in U.S since we apparently are starting to wise up?

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

The F2P 1-20 is pretty much a trial run for what Blizz may do for the future.  You must remember in Asia, their payment model for WoW is not the traditional sub that is for NA/Europe regions.  I will assume the recently launched Brazillian servers are using the traditional sub payment model.  Bottom line is that I believe F2P is around the corner, because if they can continue to generate net revenue despite sub loses Blizz would be happy to continue this course.