Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Ascalon Catacombs Dungeon Experience

Comments

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Clob

Too late. HA!  Eric Flannum just posted this on guru:

You can leave the dungeon and come back as long as the entire party doesn't leave. We had a bug in the beta that would sometimes lock out the party leader. It's fixed now.  

Ok , now I worried.

These guys have spies listening to me bitch to my wife at 1am? :)

Maybe your wife IS a spy :)

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Story mode and a hot-fix.

what are the trolls to do now? why can't arenanet leave bugs and unrefined systems in the game till the fanbase explodes over them like the Pros at Bye O Ware?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by protomunk

The armor thing may or may not be an issue. You have to die (not downed) at least 5 times before something breaks.10 times before it ALL breaks. There has to be some penalty to death. People need to realise there IS a chance of failure in dungeons and its not based on DPS/HPS.

I agree.. there should always be a chance of losing otherwise there is nothing to achieve. This a positive thing.

If someone doesn't like it? Learn how to stop dying all through the dungeon. I'm sure I'll be on my ass all the time as well, but when I finally beat it it'll be so much more rewarding.

Keeping it brutal is the way forward and shouldn't be changed. Maybe there should be some sort of item that can be gained to counter the problem at later levels but it should not be common or easy to get hold of.. or unlimited use. Upper end skills that have ways to counter it might be interesting, ones that need to be used at the right time or something along them lines.

All my opinion of course.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I have no qualms with dungeons being insanely difficult. Err, rather, explorable versions... which I assume this is.

Because it will actually be a prize to defeat it. It should take a mega coordinated team of players to down these because you get a token everytime you go through it. There's the storymode version for some fun, that you should be able to beat if you play pretty well. Unless this was the storymode version and we're all f*cked... D:

a dozen wipes in explorable mode with 3 devs.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1133101&postcount=121

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

There is a diffence between brutal and annoying.

Brutal is easy to make, not being annoying takes thought.

You can always make a dungeoun brutal by not having it be worth the time spent or impossible to get past the end,  having to carry around extra sets of armour was annoying. But Im glad they addressed the annoying part.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by fony

a dozen wipes in explorable mode with 3 devs.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1133101&postcount=121

Over a dozen wipes, you mean. They've had to repair several times and we know that armor pieces won't break until you've been defeated six times.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Oh well, if you put a full team of new players with lvl 20 toons in a GW1 dungeon they are going to cry for nerf too.

Actually, I suspect that many players get carried through GW1 dungeons mainly by their gwpvx heroes :p

LOL @ the Guru kids crying. they want EZ mode.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by ForumPvP

Holy duoty                          Chuck Norris

/             

/                

ArcheAge

Fixed.

GW2 will have nothing on AA.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Im really interested to see dungeons with underwater content mixed in. The possibilities are endless....

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Rift's expert dungeons got nerfed because of time.  Difficulty and time to complete are two completly different things.  No 5-man dungeon should last 3 hours!  So they lowered health of the bosses and mobs but left damage alone so you would still die at the same rate but finish quicker.  

I do agree with Guild Wars 2 doing a break armor system.  If you are dying 5-10 times in one dungeon...you should not be there anyways with or without broken gear.  Plus the dungeons are probably way easier than you think, anytime the press plays a game they have a difficult time playing and usually die a lot compared to actual gamers.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Wasn't too happy to see a person have to confront the last boss with no armor on because of the broken armor thing. He couldn't leave to repair because it would have locked him from the instance.

Take note trolls- THAT is a serious issue the game has.

What that you have to manage your armor and ensure it doesnt get broken.... Sounds great to me I guess some people just wan't it easy.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Isane

Wasn't too happy to see a person have to confront the last boss with no armor on because of the broken armor thing. He couldn't leave to repair because it would have locked him from the instance.

What that you have to manage your armor and ensure it doesnt get broken.... Sounds great to me I guess some people just wan't it easy.

read my other posts, annoying =/= hard

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by BillMurphy

This is true.  Hopefully they'll just put an armor repair person near one of the portals, or allow people to carry kits with them.  Because it's not about being hard at this point, but being brutal.

Other games have field repair kits... no reason this wouldnt work here. Just charge a premium for them to make them last resort.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Don't forget that this dungeon was being completed by members of the press who hadn't had the luxury of naturally leveling to 30, that immediately puts them at a disadvantage, they hadn't had the chance to learn the intiricacies of their class and cross profession combos, that's something we'll be able to do come release, we'll know a lot more than they did.

Don't cry for a nerf at this stage without taking the reality of this encounter in to account.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Thus, why it's in Beta.

• thakursethakurse Member UncommonPosts: 25

What you should understand is the fact that they don't have to please anyone in this game because it's free to play.   Other games like RIFT having a subscription and player whinning like babies so they have to nerf the content, otherwise they will stop the payments.

But guess what, people don't pay for this game so it's like any other games.  You have to face the content included in the game.

In real life you would have to learn the hard way to become a warrior... so if you die 10 times in a dungeon then your are not ready to this fight yet and you will have to go home and come back when you'll get better.  It takes time to be a good player but it's possible.  Make some efforts for once. 

We all want realism in a RP MMO game, but if you don't want it, RP Games are not for you..

MMORPG got it?  Role play??

Keep playing Star Wars:TOR, which is a really good game for the monotony that makes you feel safe and happy.  You'll find plenty of friends just like you, isn't it beautiful?

• hellsnothellsnot Member UncommonPosts: 49

i dont post much but am a little dissapointed on the negativity of a potentially challenging game, i am kindoff tired of pandering to carebears by dev's if you are supposed to be able to go repair and it's a bug make it so you can't go repair lols harder the better imo or even better if you let your gear get broken it's vendor fodder, i'm looking for a game thats difficult and right now thats not even an mmo for me i'm too busy getting my ass handed to me in SC 5

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by hellsnot

i dont post much but am a little dissapointed on the negativity of a potentially challenging game, i am kindoff tired of pandering to carebears by dev's if you are supposed to be able to go repair and it's a bug make it so you can't go repair lols harder the better imo or even better if you let your gear get broken it's vendor fodder, i'm looking for a game thats difficult and right now thats not even an mmo for me i'm too busy getting my ass handed to me in SC 5

What you are describing as a challenge is just time sink and tedium. Only because you add more tedious activities in a game doesn't make it challenging. Challenge is in the activity itself and not artifical blocks put in way of that activity and  your progression.

• hellsnothellsnot Member UncommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by hellsnot

What you are describing as a challenge is just time sink and tedium. Only because you add more tedious activities in a game doesn't make it challenging. Challenge is in the activity itself and not artifical blocks put in way of that activity and  your progression.

trying not to die is tedious? ok.....................

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I wonder if they bothered to check their inventory for replacement armor. Looks like the dungeon gives out quite a lot of loot as your playing through it.

I would take into account, like others have already, that the press involved were not practiced in their craft and that had they been this problem may have been moot.

I like a good challenge, don't turn the game into a pablum spooner. If you suck and wipe a lot, stop sucking.

Archlinux ftw

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Wow @ All the people insulting each other over something so ridiculously uncalled for. Dungeon difficulty, it's not that big a deal, people!

1) Dungeons just offer aesthetically different gear. If you hate having that challenge, just ignore it! You're not missing anything and no one is going to LoL at you for not having top-tier gear, because you can get it with easier methods.

2) I GUARANTEE YOU THIS: No matter how "difficult" the content is at first, people will inevitably figure out the best strategies, the best moment to pull, the best moment to run, etc., and even the hardest dungeons will eventually become routine. So, give it some time, let the "alpha" gamers figure out how to get it right, then learn from them afterward.

3) Dungeons are a little like Aion's in that, as long as one person is still in it, it won't lockout/reset. So, take the time to go repair your armor if needed. Just leave one person behind, port to town, repair, come back. That simple. So what if it takes a little time? Dungeons are clearly not made to be rushed through, you DON'T do them "when you just have an hour to kill," you do them when you have the time to sit and put your everything into it. Hell, maybe having that few minutes to leave the dungeon and "take a breather" will clear some of your inevitable frustration from all that dying, and give you a chance to rethink what you've been doing wrong.

It doesn't all have to be a rush, people. GW2 has made it completely unnecessary to rush through content, and made it unnecessary to play content you don't like, it's so a la carte it's almost ridiculous. Chill pills. ALL OF YOU.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• thakursethakurse Member UncommonPosts: 25

Well you said the magic word : "progression".  Which means you won't get all you want in one day, you will have to work to be a good player.  Which takes efforts and time.  This is how you will learn to be better, and finaly be able to kill evil creatures.

Do I need to remind you that RPG games are all about realism? and immersion?  Do you expect to get out of a dungeon without any broken parts of your armor or even a broken leg?  Yeah you could expect this, but only when you will become a real hero.  Keep working.