Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm an adrenaline junkie. Is Tera for me?

D3lit3D3lit3 Member Posts: 95

Let me just start by saying I've only played Darkfall and MO (never tried WoW..) and am also waiting for GW2 because of the cool pvp so I don't know much about themepark MMOs but hey, that's what these forums are for: inquiries. So I was wondering if Tera is the game for adrenaline junkies?

Let me explain. Lately I've been looking for a good MMORPG game to get into around may after exams. Anyway, what appeals to me is the rush of PVPing. In Darkfall, one of the funnest moments in my gaming life consisted of me running around with my guild mates raiding strategically and hoping to fins someone in very good armor or a very good player that had good gear since it is full loot. So while PVPing my heart actually started beating really fast each time I PVP'ed and had good gear on because I knew for a fact that I COULD lose it, and I wasn't just non-strategically randomly attacking my foe because I want to somehow prove I'm better than him with no repercussions. These heart palpitations actualyl made me NERVOUS for the first time in my gaming life and pvp battles would become adrenaline-filled wars where I had to decide in the heat of the moment whether to flee and try to save my items, whether to try a different weapon, etc. Mortal Online was the same concept. 

Another very appealing feature to me is open-warfare type PvP. That is, player controlled territories and hopefully even castles and keeps that several parties could at any time attack. So kind of like PvP-controlled hotspots where one could battle and besiege an enemy. Now while GW2 doesn't have full loot from what I've seen I'll still have this adrenaline because my battles actually have an impact in the world and I can actually attack with siege weapons or defend from the walls until death because I fear of losing my keep or whatnot.

Finally, exploration. I don't come home from a day of hard work to escape into a world that grants 0 bonuses for exploration. I'm talking going to some forest and finding a magic chest filled with items, or a secret lair that is hard to miss and thus filled with treasure. Stuff that piques my creative yet curious side, akin to a cat and a plastic bag. Cats don't want the same old toys they want to explore because they are curious in nature and test their boundaries.

That's not to say I don't like PvE. The only experience I had with PvE was with Age of Conan and it felt really grindy. Again, I don't come home from busting my ass at work to attack the same old mobs with the same old loot and get armor that I can never lose if I so happen to blindly duel or randomly attack in PvP beause I know there are no consequences. And yes I treat PvE and PvP as practially inseparable because to me "PvE" = Skyrim. The point of MMORPG is to interact with players with ways other than trading.

With that in mind, will I or any "hardcore" (lol maybe not...some of you vets are crazy. Permadeath WoW!!) be able to enjoy any aspect Tera provides? I know very little about PvP and politics and territory control in Tera and hope I am wowed when someone comes in this thread and posts a vid with Tera having all these features I never knew about. Hopefully.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

tera has pvp servers wich provide basically the sort of things you are describing.    

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

While I would say Tera really isn't a hardcore PvP game, it has many PvP modes/features. I say it's not hardcore in the sence that is does not have full looting. Tera's PvP will feature; Open World PvP, Arenas, Battle Grounds, 5v5 & 10v10 Deathmatches, Guild vs Guild, Duels, and soon to be added, Server vs Server.

The combat though is very entertaining, and does have a skill based focus to it; as in actively dodging and selectively chosing the right skill for the right moment. 

I would recommend you wait for the open beta and try it out if you are in NA, but if you are a EU citizen you can check out the closed beta for I think it's roughly $7. You don't have to be a citizen of EU to check it out, I would just recommend you stick close to the servers to reduce lag.

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Gahnzo

While I would say Tera really isn't a hardcore PvP game, it has many PvP modes/features. I say it's not hardcore in the sence that is does not have full looting. Tera's PvP will feature; Open World PvP, Arenas, Battle Grounds, 5v5 & 10v10 Deathmatches, Guild vs Guild, Duels, and soon to be added, Server vs Server.

The combat though is very entertaining, and does have a skill based focus to it; as in actively dodging and selectively chosing the right skill for the right moment. 

I would recommend you wait for the open beta and try it out if you are in NA, but if you are a EU citizen you can check out the closed beta for I think it's roughly $7. You don't have to be a citizen of EU to check it out, I would just recommend you stick close to the servers to reduce lag.

Dont forget the Outlaw system :) you can become a criminal and kill everyone you see :)

Originally posted by D3lit3

Let me just start by saying I've only played Darkfall and MO (never tried WoW..) and am also waiting for GW2 because of the cool pvp so I don't know much about themepark MMOs but hey, that's what these forums are for: inquiries. So I was wondering if Tera is the game for adrenaline junkies?

Let me explain. Lately I've been looking for a good MMORPG game to get into around may after exams. Anyway, what appeals to me is the rush of PVPing. In Darkfall, one of the funnest moments in my gaming life consisted of me running around with my guild mates raiding strategically and hoping to fins someone in very good armor or a very good player that had good gear since it is full loot. So while PVPing my heart actually started beating really fast each time I PVP'ed and had good gear on because I knew for a fact that I COULD lose it, and I wasn't just non-strategically randomly attacking my foe because I want to somehow prove I'm better than him with no repercussions. These heart palpitations actualyl made me NERVOUS for the first time in my gaming life and pvp battles would become adrenaline-filled wars where I had to decide in the heat of the moment whether to flee and try to save my items, whether to try a different weapon, etc. Mortal Online was the same concept. 

Another very appealing feature to me is open-warfare type PvP. That is, player controlled territories and hopefully even castles and keeps that several parties could at any time attack. So kind of like PvP-controlled hotspots where one could battle and besiege an enemy. Now while GW2 doesn't have full loot from what I've seen I'll still have this adrenaline because my battles actually have an impact in the world and I can actually attack with siege weapons or defend from the walls until death because I fear of losing my keep or whatnot.

Finally, exploration. I don't come home from a day of hard work to escape into a world that grants 0 bonuses for exploration. I'm talking going to some forest and finding a magic chest filled with items, or a secret lair that is hard to miss and thus filled with treasure. Stuff that piques my creative yet curious side, akin to a cat and a plastic bag. Cats don't want the same old toys they want to explore because they are curious in nature and test their boundaries.

That's not to say I don't like PvE. The only experience I had with PvE was with Age of Conan and it felt really grindy. Again, I don't come home from busting my ass at work to attack the same old mobs with the same old loot and get armor that I can never lose if I so happen to blindly duel or randomly attack in PvP beause I know there are no consequences. And yes I treat PvE and PvP as practially inseparable because to me "PvE" = Skyrim. The point of MMORPG is to interact with players with ways other than trading.

With that in mind, will I or any "hardcore" (lol maybe not...some of you vets are crazy. Permadeath WoW!!) be able to enjoy any aspect Tera provides? I know very little about PvP and politics and territory control in Tera and hope I am wowed when someone comes in this thread and posts a vid with Tera having all these features I never knew about. Hopefully.

Thanks!

This game sadly dosent feture a full loot system :(

I would recomend EvE online though... Been playing it 6 years and it also gives me that thrill you are talking about when you are out doing PvP.

TERA is more like Skyrim, by the fact you dont lose gear, but it has a more twitched based combat system. And you can go exploring. My guild mates found a strange looking rock thing and poked on it this past weekend.. OPS it was a world BAM= Big Ase Monster world Boss.. They all died horrible deaths..

TERA is fun but its much more casual then Darkfall and EvE online... But has a really nice combat system

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

"I'm an adrenaline junkie. Is Tera for me? "

Really?

What happened to the days of jumping off bridges for a rush, now you can get the same experience playing a computer game?? really?..

Originally posted by peteski123

Really?

What happened to the days of jumping off bridges for a rush, now you can get the same experience playing a computer game?? really?..

There is a special feeling you get when you have shit to lose. You really need to play a full loot pvp game to understand were he is coming from...

If you have worked hard to get a new ship In EvE.. like in the old days, you really dont want to lose it. So the added exitment of knowing your enemies are in the same situation. Makes their Explosions feel extra special.. Because you know they will more upset then in a themepark were they just respawn with all their stuff intact.

I collect peoples dead corpses In EvE, if I manage to get hold of their Pods hehe. Ransoming people for money Is also a way to make ISK in EvE. If you snatch a dude and he has 2 billion worth of implants.. He might pay you 500m to let him go.. It just brings a hole new dynamic to the games that we play...

• KeshanberkKeshanberk Member Posts: 81

Adrenaline junkie..lol..

The problem with full loot MMOs is that you'll have a heart attack upon your own death and loss of all your shit. I've had that feeling..it's awful. You can only guarantee that special adrenaline feeling if you're going to win all the damn time and slaughter the enemy relentless. Can you guarantee that?

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie too so I play this badass game called life. Last thing I did that was exciting was White water rafting on the Zambezi River. I PVP'd Mother nature, and yeah she wiped the raft twice, but we got back in, and came out alive in the end! I thought I was going to drown twice, and one of the guys dislocated his shoulder....now THAT is intense!

• D3lit3D3lit3 Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by Timeout77

Originally posted by peteski123

Really?

There is a special feeling you get when you have shit to lose. You really need to play a full loot pvp game to understand were he is coming from...

If you have worked hard to get a new ship In EvE.. like in the old days, you really dont want to lose it. So the added exitment of knowing your enemies are in the same situation. Makes their Explosions feel extra special.. Because you know they will more upset then in a themepark were they just respawn with all their stuff intact.

I collect peoples dead corpses In EvE, if I manage to get hold of their Pods hehe. Ransoming people for money Is also a way to make ISK in EvE. If you snatch a dude and he has 2 billion worth of implants.. He might pay you 500m to let him go.. It just brings a hole new dynamic to the games that we play...

Exactly. The special feeling is hard to describe but it feels pretty primal in nature. It's the well-planned out thought of attacking and killing another person....this weird sense of prey. It's what a lion feels after he goes after a gazelle or what soldiers feel whens they engage their target in wars such as the Syrian one now. It's those proverbial virtual life-for-life moments that I live for. It's how the Pats and the Giants felt during the superbowl game because they have so much to lose. Best feeling ever.

Originally posted by Keshanberk

Adrenaline junkie..lol..

The problem with full loot MMOs is that you'll have a heart attack upon your own death and loss of all your shit. I've had that feeling..it's awful. You can only guarantee that special adrenaline feeling if you're going to win all the damn time and slaughter the enemy relentless. Can you guarantee that?

I think it gets better with maturity. I think denying your sense of inferiority is the hardest part. But it all goes away when you realize that you're all really a one, absolute team on the server. My premise with the thrill or adrenaline idea had no connotations towards victory, it feels just as exciting when you lose. In fact, it even better prepares you for potential real life defeats or errors in judgement, so you get up and try again. In Darkfall for me that meant sucking up the tears, learning from my defeat and what I could have done better, getting some mats, crafting some gear, and hoping this time you could actually be victorious during your "prey". And it only makes victory oh so much greater. All you need is one kill to achieve that. After that it doesn't really matter because you know you CAN win.

Most people that steer clear of full loot or PVP-centric games either cannot simply fathom or embrace the idea that they might actually lose more times then they win (which leads to inferiority and frustration due to human nature), or are not ready to commit fully to the game since they might lose everything or nothing the next time they log on. Which is laziness really - if you're going to commit, commit fully.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Tera does not feature a full PvP system. None of the games released this year does (TSW, TERA, GW2) nor I know of a game that is getting released any time soon (within the next two years) with this feature.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Xasapis

Tera does not feature a full PvP system. None of the games released this year does (TSW, TERA, GW2) nor I know of a game that is getting released any time soon (within the next two years) with this feature.

By full PvP system as in looting the player you killed? I doubt any game will ever go to that again simplely because there is a very small portion of people that would like that type of thing and with the cost to even make a mmorpg the fanbase would never be able to hold it up.

@OP i suggest give Tera a try, its combat make its pvp a lot better th a most games. Speically with OWPVP where you can pretty might kill anyone you want, you can have GvG or GvGvG battles, and 5v5 and 10v10 arena. Soon server Vs Server will be added. Also politics which some land you gain control through arena. So lot of pvp stuff going on and for PvE as of now there is 7 hard mode dungeons which even people who constantly run it can wipe from, pprobbly lvl cap to 60 during release and 2 more hard core dungeon along with a massive  PvE event. I mean pre-ordering the game in NA from a store is 5 dollar, try it out and i see is all i can say.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Keshanberk

Adrenaline junkie..lol..

If you could guarantee you wouldn't lose, then where would the excitement come from. You might be one of those people who likes to be safe at all times but for others that is dull, sometimes you will win sometimes lose, in game as in life, it's how you deal with that that makes you who you are.
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

What OP is reffering to is some kind of gambling rush, you gamble with your stuff for theirs pretty much... I also like this but doubt we will see this again anytime soon except in some indie game made by two guys in a basement pretty much. : (

EDIT: Some Tera mass-pvp footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3pnSpgLNE&hd=1, this is from the EU OBT the last weekend. : )

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

I would try bungee jumping