Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overflow Server Mechanic

sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

i Dunno if someone had post this before.. i looked a bit fast but anyway

Martin Kerstein chimed in over at GuildWars2Guru on yet another feature that we gamers will come to appreciate – a server overflow mechanic. For anyone who experienced the server queues in SW:TOR – this will simply make your day.

Martin Kerstein:

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server – so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

Someone I was talking to about this stated that this may be one of the greatest features ever placed on an MMO and will now be the standard in online gaming

This has got to be one of the simplest but most brilliant piece of technology ever introduced to MMO gaming! Serverqueues begone

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Comments

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Holy cow this is smart.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Great idea. Can't imagine why this has never been done before.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

This is exactly the kind of thing that astonishes me about Arenanet:

They come out with a feature that makes you think: Oh my god! Why haven't I think of that before! It was so needed!

This is just pure genious

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• KeshanberkKeshanberk Member Posts: 81

Okay, but what does "play before you get into the server" consist of? you get to walk around a town with other players? hunt? play a minigame? What, exactly?

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Keshanberk

Okay, but what does "play before you get into the server" consist of? you get to walk around a town with other players? hunt? play a minigame? What, exactly?

You get to play on an exact copy of your main server.

The only difference is that there will probably not be a lot of people on the overflow server.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

OMG! this actually can be done?!?!
    if there was any doubts that ANET is revolutionizing the genre, this will cast all doubts out of the window!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Somsbal

Originally posted by Keshanberk

You get to play on an exact copy of your main server.

The only difference is that there will probably not be a lot of people on the overflow server.

This basically sounds like a cross between Sharding & Server Queing, whereby you play in an instance of the same world (sharding) whilst you queue for the main world, which is genius if you ask me.