Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new to HnH?

IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

seeing as there is now a forum for HnH on mmorpg, i figured i would make a thread based solely around my own personal stumblings as a newb in HnH..

first and for most.. dont let the graphics fool you the game while 2d does have some pretty impressive game play if you stick to it. ( i have only been playing it about 2 weeks or so now maybe 3) as well as a pretty confusing crafting system .. 

while this is a heavy crafting based MMO... i would never class it as a crafter/solo'er mmo... this game on the surface seems all bright and rosey... but under neath the 2d crafting aspect lies the actual meat of the game. which is FFA PVP.. there is some looting but i dont know if i would call it FFApvp/loot (unless you are stupid and let someone jack your keys to your base... i kinda did that Q.Q)

trust no one you meet in the game period.. unless you brought them in your self. simply because people make alts to explore unhindered and find unsuspecting neive people to "rape"..  anywhere at any time a person can and will kill you just because they can.  while most killers are "grouped" with a select town/village (guild system) and generally dont waste their time leaving scent (summonable/trackable items left at crimes) any high enough level player can kill you if they have rage unlocked and murder (i my self was killed not even a week in to playing as i went afk with my gate open and a bandit killed me for lulz)

so its best to either join an existing village (though thats not always safe) or get a group of friends to play the game with you (it takes quite awhile to get a defendable place setup). 

while all that sounds horrible for most crafters dispite the kill on sight style of play the game is pretty enjoyable.. if abit annoying with server lag (yes server is laggy as all hell but im told its not an A-typical standard MMO dedicated server O_O)

but if you get past that its can be fun. i spend several days at a time making my friend pissed at me by over loading/working her with new unbaked breads and other items i have farmed up from my sizable farm ROFL or spend several hours fishing (again much to her joy... lulz)

the crafting system is more advanced then typical games.. instead of learning a skill and unlocking every recipe linked to it. you instead have to discover it.. example: just learning farming does not allow you to farm.. first you need farming skill, then you have to trade other players for farming seeds (or steal them/loot them ect.. or find a wild weed that spawns at random for random seed types) after that you can plant it and (several hours/days later) harvest it and unlock recipes for that. 

learn farming, and baking then farm some wheat and you discover flour (2 wheat seeds= 1 flour) make flour and discover bread dough and cakes ect.. as you go. sooo its enjoyable in that aspect. (some people will find it annoying having to discover things like water to make bread dough or whatever.. but its alittle more advanced then other crafting systems in mmos)

while i do find it annoying have to wait actual days for crops to be ready (Stupid hemp ugh i need my fibers for linen) it gives that realistic element alot of games lack right now, it feels more immersive i guess you could say.. 

i will admit the game is not for everyone, there are quite a few asshats in the game who go out of their way to mess with anyone they meet... but saying that, that kinda is par for the course now days anyway. so its not that unusual, there are a few nice people but again you really cant trust anyone people can and will screw you over if they want what you have, though many larger village groups can and do actively trade resources to people (takes abit to get a trader rep with the game community to where they trust you in trading) a large majority tend to play the loner hermit hiding away in the mountains or caves instead of getting mixed up with the political junk that plagues PVP set games..

all in all, the game is pretty enjoyable if you have the gonads to stick to it even after you are killed ( i have died todate  2 times.. 1 to bandit and 1 to a mother @#$@#$ bear that spawned on top of me while my client was having issues)

i would suggest people read the wiki alot before doing anything major.. as well as check out the help forums on their website for ideas and pointers on staying alive.. 

all in all the game is not designed for instant gratifacation.. you do have to work hard to get to the end game style gear (there is no end to the game its minecraft on crack really.. by end game i mean, the high quality gear/weapons and stats players get up to on a toon that is a year old or more)

in lines of gear... one can not expect to win every battle just because they have pure iron gear on, the person they are fighting may have higher player stats or skill stats... or their gear may be higher quality (quality effects bonuses and stats of items.. armor gets more durablity and better passive stats the better quality it is) so a noob can actually kill a year old vet if they play it right (though i would assume that is super rare given the work people put in their toons)

Comments

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I can't believe it took MMORPG so long to list this game.  It's awesome... Just wish it wasn't in 2d.  To be honest the even the 2d graphics suck, but like Dwarf Fortess the gameplay is awesome.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

Originally posted by username509

I can't believe it took MMORPG so long to list this game.  It's awesome... Just wish it wasn't in 2d.  To be honest the even the 2d graphics suck, but like Dwarf Fortess the gameplay is awesome.  

oh i dont know.. while 2d is dated.. i grew up on 6bit 1/2D so i guess im just used to it.. i ran across HnH researching salem and figured id try it, as salem is using similar game mechanics. 

not sure why MMORPG lists it as a browser game.. when its a downloaded client (java) game o-o i wouldnt really call that a browser but owell.. 

pretty amazing that it has a similar story like minecraft.. only it was 2 collage guys who wrote HnH instead of just 1 guy lol 

• DraylynnDraylynn Member UncommonPosts: 11

It's an awesome game when you can play it, shame about the community and repeat PK'ing for no reason. Working up my skills only to lose them in 1 day of repeat random pking isn't really my idea of fun.

Originally posted by Draylynn

It's an awesome game when you can play it, shame about the community and repeat PK'ing for no reason. Working up my skills only to lose them in 1 day of repeat random pking isn't really my idea of fun.

ya i know what you mean, my friend had played 2days i was on day 4 when i went afk and got 1hit killed by a bandit. 1500 dmg 1 hit is kinda sick :/ but thats what you hit when people play since day 1 i guess. 

best thing to do is explore the world and find an area in the middle of no where far away from any major (active) villages or towns.

the only nice thing is you get most of your LP back when you die/are killed but the % is based on your character sliders. traditional gives more LP but narfs your total learning gain.. where change lowers ur % you get back but boosts ur lp gain :/

im still trying to actually unlock the ability to mine lolol so i keep being pariniod im going to get killed and have to start all over again at 10 str ><"

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

dont waste your time.
    in the beginning the progress is nice and perfect, but later its pure grind.

lolol but isnt pure grind par for the course in every game?? 

MO and dfo both have pure grind for end game.. alot of HNH has no real max cap that i have noticed. its all based on your total skill level, base player atts and the quality of the items you are using..  so ofcourse you grind up skill as there is no level in HnH o-o.. it sucks sure being killed and basicly starting over again.. but then again :/ some people may like that others wont. to each their own

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

About time they got this game on here. Who really expects MMORPG.com to keep up on anythign that isn't AAA anymore though? THye can't be bothered to review good games. They don't pay you enough for smashing reviews.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

It was a fun game for a few weeks for me, living like a hermit and fighting for my survival. Eventuelly, the lack of any updates from the developers is what made me feel like it is pointless to continue.

I rather wait for their next project, Salem, to come out in beta. 

well from what i have read on the their offical forums, development of HnH is on hold while the game devs work on salem. so after salem launches they should return to upgrade/update HnH. there was also rumors of the dev's bringing ideas from salem to HnH.. so possible game changes or content updates.

i spend days as a hermit lol its boring but safest that i know of. as i dont have to worry about someone leaving a crime scent and getting caught in the crossfire lol. 

• PikdumPikdum Member Posts: 3

I miss the days of world 3 H&H, oh well. Looking forward to Salem now.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

In my opinion the studying system made this game incredibly boring.

Not to mention the servers lag for both me ( EU ) and for my friend ( US ) while we both have high end internet connections.

It's probably still worth playing, but not until the developers start supporting/updating it again.

ya i get lag alot, rubber banding and such. i still play it every few days, only because... im limited on what i can actually do as my stats are not high enough to do what i want/need to do (aka mine) and gathering res for items in working on takes hours of real time to achive lol

but i dont think it really matters what speed your net connection is, you will lag alot. i think it has something to do with their actual server system.. alot of the stuff rambled off about HnH is that its running on a desktop server from a dev's house.. @_@ which is find rather scary... simply because i cant see this game running like a minecraft server or counterstrike server. 

though the thing that urks me is there is no real ingame econ.. i cant actually trade with anyone, because my quality of items is not Q50-200 on top of that i cant buy items from players because my skills are not high enough to find mussels on the game world and get the 1% chance of A pearl out of them to trade for items (when most players expect 10+ pearls for 1 item of trade.. ) so in that regard i kinda of hate HnH's economy.. new players are pretty much @$@# over by the old time players.. as they cant trade their noob items for stuff they need, like wrought iron for brick walls (that everyone tells you to build magically) or milk for cheese or animals.. ect..

IMO this game really needs an NPC/noob town that people can trade their items at to atleast make hermiting or starting out alittle bit easier (not handing it to them on a plate, but taking a Q 20 chicken for example and selling it to an npc/ player in for a Q5-20 bar of iron or steel or whatever) thats the biggest killer for me in this game, i have no real means of gaining the items i need without spending upwards of 2yrs of playing the game to get my skills up to a point where i can MAYBE make an item worth trading :/

• dnb64dnb64 Member Posts: 1

Pretty cool summary of the game, but regarding trading, its not as hard as you make it out to be, and the last thing the game needs is npc handing out iron

Muscles only need a perception * exploration of about 760  (eg. 19*40) to see them, which isnt hard to get in a couple of days, week, 2 weeks, depending on how long you play for

also some villages will take fresh bears, something eveyone can get (hunt from boat), flotsams, other curios in bulk, you will however need a village idol, which will require you to kill deer, but with 45 mm and a q20 sling this can be done early on in game also

and iron isnt as hard to find as people make out either, when world 6 started i had iron in the 1st 5 days, and found lvl2 iron, although wasnt going to be mining that for a while.

Kill your bear, make bear cloak and tali for str bonus, eat a ton of bear meat for str fep's and then just dig away at sides of caves untill you find ore

Raise exploration for better curio finding = more lp gained, eat pumpkin pies at start for perception, blueberries and blueberrie pies to raise intel so you can study more at once

Also raise survival so your foragebles will be better Q and the animals you skin and butcher will have better q items. which = better Q leather and meats (higher feps)

Read the tamming thread and tame your own cows for the milk for cheese, feed wild cows clovers and milk them if your not up for tamming yet

granted it does have a slightly high learning curve, but once you get the swing of it, things dont take long to get going

and yea, Trust no one!!!!

ya thanks for that,  though i didnt mean an NPC that is handing out resources, but like a means to buy/sell items you dont need for lowest quality items. 

you take a Q 30-60 seeds or crop.. and sell it to and npc and the best you can get is Q01-10 items so it wont be PVP resources but survivial items. you can trade for wrought iron for brick walls. the main thing id be after, as i have no hope in getting an idol on my own. rofl my friends all quit as the game was "boring" so building an idol is beyond me now but thats my own fault/problem.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

About time they got this game on here. Who really expects MMORPG.com to keep up on anythign that isn't AAA anymore though? THye can't be bothered to review good games. They don't pay you enough for smashing reviews.

I asked them if I could, they gave me the job. :D

I had a blast with this game, and I'm really looking forward to its spiritual successor.

• KerryannKerryann Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Ichmen

ya thanks for that,  though i didnt mean an NPC that is handing out resources, but like a means to buy/sell items you dont need for lowest quality items. 

you take a Q 30-60 seeds or crop.. and sell it to and npc and the best you can get is Q01-10 items so it wont be PVP resources but survivial items. you can trade for wrought iron for brick walls. the main thing id be after, as i have no hope in getting an idol on my own. rofl my friends all quit as the game was "boring" so building an idol is beyond me now but thats my own fault/problem.

HnH is an awesome game, i've played two worlds now as a hermit and managed all aspects of game play including a village idol all on my own. I admit its harder and takes longer to raise Q, find good rescourses and hold your own in the game but it is possible and for me, preferable.

Once you have established your village the game becomes easier in that you are able to trade with the bigger factions for the higher quality goods, or any goods/materials you need.

The only real downside to hnh is the lag which becomes increasingly worse as the world progresses, atm its virtualy unplayable - unless your a die-hard fan like myself.

:)